PDA

View Full Version : Shav mentioned in story about undrafted players

juise
06-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Link. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3460449)

Hopefully, Markie can find the right spot for himself as well.

JasonEvans
06-28-2008, 03:58 PM
At least some of those dudes at ESPN are not anti-Duke.

--Jason "that writer almost seems too smart for ESPN ;)" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Shav outta be the poster boy for the undrafted. I bet Nelson finds an NBA job.

throatybeard
06-28-2008, 07:57 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mag/blog/0625score.jpg

miramar
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Philly was not planning to resign Shavlik, but the article says that he's looking forward to signing his third contact. If that happens, that would be great news.

hedgehog
06-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Philly was not planning to resign Shavlik, but the article says that he's looking forward to signing his third contact. If that happens, that would be great news.

The article doesn't say that is his looking forward to signing his third contract with the 76ers. My guess is he just means his third NBA contract. Who knows with what team.

Uncle Drew
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I have no basis for this, so it's just my opinion. But I have always thought Billy King had something to do with Shav being signed by the 76ers. I will stop short of saying a Duke guy did another Duke guy a favor. But after being injurred and seeing so little playing time with King gone I have my doubts Shav will make another NBA team unless Ferry gets a call.

Inonehand
06-28-2008, 11:01 PM
I have no basis for this, so it's just my opinion. But I have always thought Billy King had something to do with Shav being signed by the 76ers. I will stop short of saying a Duke guy did another Duke guy a favor. But after being injurred and seeing so little playing time with King gone I have my doubts Shav will make another NBA team unless Ferry gets a call.

Whether or not Shav resigns or not this is a statement with little credibility. There were plenty of former Duke players who would have like to play in the league that Billy King could have signed if that was the only reason. Shav fit a need for the Sixers. He fit it pretty well. Don't slight the guys when you truly have no idea. Shav OR Billy.

Uncle Drew
06-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Whether or not Shav resigns or not this is a statement with little credibility. There were plenty of former Duke players who would have like to play in the league that Billy King could have signed if that was the only reason. Shav fit a need for the Sixers. He fit it pretty well. Don't slight the guys when you truly have no idea. Shav OR Billy.

I said I have no basis for stating it as fact and said that in the opening sentence. Mere speculation. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a guy who didn't have the game to dominate in the ACC (unlike his former team mates JJ & Williams) wouldn't thrive stepping it up a higher level. Most everyone thought (and rightfully so) he left way too early and he was lucky to gain a contract after not going in the first round. It's not a stretch to think a GM given the choice of three or four same or similar talents wouldn't opt for a guy that went to the same school he did.

If you are naive enough to think that type of thing does not go on in the NBA where GM's and coaches opt for one of their guys look at the UNC coaches and players they have drafted and selected as free agents the last 40 years. I may have no inside information to base what I typed. But you have nothing other than your opinion to refute it. I've seen Shav play in college and in at least two mop up game duties in the NBA. You can say he fit a niche if you like. But sellecting a non-first rounder instead of a veteran that can help you win tells me the niche was sallary cap room.

hedgehog
06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
The 76ers didn't need backup big man to score, just to play defense and rebound. The NBA is always lacking quality big men. Shav was a player who was constantly hurt or sick at Duke, yet was still a very good defender and fundamentally sound. He was certainly more fundamentally sounds than McRoberts was when he left, given that McRoberts didn't have a jump shot or good post moves. I also think Shav was a better defender.

Given Shav's past, Billy could have thought that he had more potential than some other random big man, young or veteran. I would have said he was worth taking a chance on and making him the 12th player on your team. What better choices do you think Billy had when he brought Shav on board?

Deslok
06-29-2008, 05:15 PM
The Duke connection may have gotten Shav more of a look than he otherwise would have gotten(or a tryout at all), but I can't imagine it would have gotten him the contract.

ncexnyc
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
It seems McNuggets doesn't get much love around here. You can say what you want about him, but he did have talent. Whether his ego or a bad attitude got the best of him, well I guess we won't ever know the truth, but for someone to compare him to Shav and make it seems that Shav was a better player is just crazy.

Yes, the kid was constantly hurt during his time at Duke, but he was as soft as Charmin. He was constantly getting his shots blocked at the rim, because he was a cupcake and to make matters worse many of the shot blockers were the opposing teams guards. Now for a big guy to not finish at the rim isn't all bad if he gets fouled and converts, but Shav wasn't very good at the free throw line.

As for his defensive skills, I seem to recall him being a halfway decent defender when he could stay out of foul trouble, but I also would say the majority of his swats came as a result of Sheldon Williams. Shav was very good at coming over to help when the opposition didn't see him coming.

DevilDan
06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I too was disappointed for Shav during his time at Duke; he had what looked to be an early breakout game (20+ points?) in his freshman year, then ......... not a great deal of production in the seasons that followed. Just when we thought "next year he's going to play a bigger role", he chooses the NBA--a shocker to a lot of fans.

The situation with Josh was similar in a couple of ways ... a good 3rd or 4th option behind JJ and Shelden in his first year .... so we have a couple of good freshmen in the wings for the next season, thinking Josh is going to be the go-to guy. That never really materialized, because he never developed a consistent offensive game.

But he did board, help bring the ball downcourt (a treat to watch) and blocked shots. So then we're thinking, these freshmen are going to come back a year stronger and more productive, Paulus is pretty solid at guard, DeMarcus is back, and this newcomer Singler looks like the real deal. Then Josh declares for the NBA.

I guess the almighty dollar rules, but it's a shame ... I think McRoberts could have helped our guys last year in a big way, by just doing those things he did well. But enough lamenting ... it is what it is.

I think our guys this year are in position to go much deeper, provided we can come up with a productive frontcourt (Brian/Lance/Olek/Miles). Four months and counting !

jma4life
06-30-2008, 12:59 AM
For what it's worth, Shav was actually quite productive with the Sixers, was adored by fans and also earned high praise from Iverson who really seemed to respect Shav's game.

Edouble
06-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Shav was the best player in the NCAA tournament in 2004 with the possible exception of Emeka Okafur or Will Bynum. I thought that was his breaking out party, but he regressed somewhat his junior year. It was clear he had talent though.

DukeDude
06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
For what it's worth, Shav was actually quite productive with the Sixers, was adored by fans and also earned high praise from Iverson who really seemed to respect Shav's game.

Shav was an energetic player in an otherwise lifeless front court for the Sixers. The guy definitely belonged on those Sixers teams. Unfortunately his serious injury prevented him from trying to take the next step into the regular rotation, and Billy king drafted Jason Smith to replace him. (Where's the Duke love, Billy? :rolleyes:)