View Full Version : Andre Dawkins to Duke

wisteria
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
duke.scout.com

front page news, says "Dawkins to ACC".
I can't see the content!!!!

skitelz
06-26-2008, 11:48 PM
yes, its true...he is a future blue devil!!!!

speedevil
06-26-2008, 11:50 PM
yes, its true...he is a future blue devil!!!!

thanks guys for the news.

taiw93
06-26-2008, 11:53 PM
wow...like a day after they offered him. Although we haven't been getting all of our top recruits lately, I guess some recruits are still enthusiastic about Duke:)

wisteria
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
It was said the decision was made before he left Duke...

Not sure if it's accurate, but it sure ain't far off. :)

FireOgilvie
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Awesome. What do we know about him? I saw that Rivals has him as the number 2 shooting guard and 12 overall in the class of 2010.

MHTorringjan
06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Awesome. What do we know about him? I saw that Rivals has him as the number 2 shooting guard and 12 overall in the class of 2010.

Well, I wish Scout had even that much about him. Aside from him being a 4-star SG, they've got nothing. I could say that he's a descendant of a band of native Himalayans, and Scout.com can't disprove it.

M.H.

dukeballer2294
06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
ESPN has him rated as a 40/100. Im not sure if this is updated or correct.This is all I could find on him. Link would not work.

watzone
06-27-2008, 12:33 AM
http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

I told BDNP members that he was a virtual lock earlier tonight. Here is a bit on him. He called the coaches in Las Vegas tonight with the news.

SupaDave
06-27-2008, 12:40 AM
That is an EXCELLENT sign of things to come...

CameronCrazy'11
06-27-2008, 12:45 AM
This is great! Now if we could just get a few more '09 recruits we'd be in business for real

watzone
06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Dawkins has a great outside touch and will be able to drain threes from the new extended stripe. He visited Duke with the Plumlees and has seen a few games in Cameron. He plays good defense and is long enough to take up space. He has a good handle, but is not a PG. He is big enough to hit the boards and is an excellent student. The mere fact he is playing with the older Boo Williams team speaks volumes. At 6-4 he can see over defenses and at 16 he is still growing and will at least hit 6-5. He plays cool and under control.

watzone
06-27-2008, 12:59 AM
It was said the decision was made before he left Duke...

Not sure if it's accurate, but it sure ain't far off. :)

In all honesty, it was made the second Duke offered. The dressing came later. It's a solid pickup. There are more to come.

CameronCrazy'11
06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
In all honesty, it was made the second Duke offered. The dressing came later. It's a solid pickup. There are more to come.

Any idea on if/who's getting offered in '09 now that McDonald committed to UNC?

skitelz
06-27-2008, 01:20 AM
im pretty sure that as soon as coach k meets jamil wilson in person an offer will be extended to him. if we get all of our remaining targets for the class, it will consist of: kenny boynton 6'2 combo guard (offered), jamil wilson 6'7 combo forward (offer pending), and mason plumlee 6'11 point power forward (committed). if we only get mason and our back-up plans the class will consist of: mason plumlee, terrell vinson 6'7 combo forward (backup to wilson) and nick russell 6'4 true point (backup for boynton)

heyman25
06-27-2008, 01:28 AM
great news. Classes of 09 and 10 should keep Duke in the elite of college hoops

watzone
06-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Any idea on if/who's getting offered in '09 now that McDonald committed to UNC?

I think Wilson will get an offer. There are five backup plans. Dawkins replaced McDonald.

skitelz
06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
actually word on the street is that we are looking very, very good with hairston.

and by the street...i mean the scout board.

testkid
06-27-2008, 01:37 AM
really that's the rumor going around everywhere.

skitelz
06-27-2008, 01:43 AM
haha, well thank you for your sarcasm...but i mean better than what everyone else is talking about.

dukemomLA
06-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Welcome Andre Dawkins!! Can't wait. Watzone -- any further news on Kenny Boynton??!! Commit from Dawkins made my day. Could a commit from Boynton make my month? Year?

watzone
06-27-2008, 02:31 AM
im pretty sure that as soon as coach k meets jamil wilson in person an offer will be extended to him. if we get all of our remaining targets for the class, it will consist of: kenny boynton 6'2 combo guard (offered), jamil wilson 6'7 combo forward (offer pending), and mason plumlee 6'11 point power forward (committed). if we only get mason and our back-up plans the class will consist of: mason plumlee, terrell vinson 6'7 combo forward (backup to wilson) and nick russell 6'4 true point (backup for boynton)

And how do you know K will meet with Wilson? I know scout doesn't have anything on that. How do you know the Duke plans as well? Me thinks you subscribe somewhere and are letting out a bit too much. Kinda hit the ground running here with the scout street rumors, eh?

El_Diablo
06-27-2008, 04:29 AM
And how do you know K will meet with Wilson? I know scout doesn't have anything on that. How do you know the Duke plans as well? Me thinks you subscribe somewhere and are letting out a bit too much. Kinda hit the ground running here with the scout street rumors, eh?

Was this sarcastic? :confused:

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a coach will actually meet with a player he's recruiting...

Anyway, I know he's young, but what college players would you compare Andrew Dawkins to?

gotham devil
06-27-2008, 05:01 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a coach will actually meet with a player he's recruiting...

Anyway, I know he's young, but what college players would you compare Andrew Dawkins to?

His point was that the poster, "skitelz," was taking Scout's "work" (courtesy of other sites), accurate or otherwise, and divulging it on a free web site, dukebasketballreport.com.

Devilsfan
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Could some student of the game compare and contrast McDonald's and Dawkins' games?

sandinmyshoes
06-27-2008, 09:08 AM
A friend of mine who has seen Dawkins play says he's a tremendous athlete and long range shooter. He seems to think all Andre needs is some toughening up and disciplining of his game. I think it's safe to say Coach K can give him that.

One of my first questions was the same one Devilsfan asked. I was told that McDonald is more of a combo 2/1 guard and Dawkins more of a wing combo 2/3. He said Dawkins has more athleticism and longer range, but McDonald has the better ball handling skills. FWIW

I don't think he took any of that from Watzone's site. :rolleyes:

watzone
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

There are a handful of people who know which players K will visit and there is only one or two places where you might find out who they are. IOW, info on things like this are not announced to the world. Duke is recruiting a lot of players, but many have never heard from K nor will see him. The only ones that do get in homes are kids that will get an offer. Anyone who knows K's schedule is either really close to the program or has read it somewhere. Perhaps Chis Collins is posting;) That is sarcastic, but meant to be humerous. As to your question, it's hard to compare him with anyone in the college game right now, in that he is so young, meaning he will develop even more. He can fill it up, hit the boards and has a really pretty stroke from the outside. I can see him scoring with Ellington type numbers. Dawkins can throw down the dunk too. He is a huge pickup and from what I have seen, he is a top ten lock in his class. In fairness to the original poster, maybe he is connected for I saw things in his post that I don't know about.

watzone
06-27-2008, 09:23 AM
A friend of mine who has seen Dawkins play says he's a tremendous athlete and long range shooter. He seems to think all Andre needs is some toughening up and disciplining of his game. I think it's safe to say Coach K can give him that.

One of my first questions was the same one Devilsfan asked. I was told that McDonald is more of a combo 2/1 guard and Dawkins more of a wing combo 2/3. He said Dawkins has more athleticism and longer range, but McDonald has the better ball handling skills. FWIW

I don't think he took any of that from Watzone's site. :rolleyes:

Your firend has a good grip. He is more athletic than McDonald. He does have much better range and is more consistent with his shot. While McDonald has no three point game, he is a scorer, but then again, so is Dawkins. McDonalds defense is better., but Dawkisn is not bad. He's hard for a guard to shoot over. Both have good character with McDonald being well known for his. If McDonald is the 7th best player in his class like one service has him ranked, Dawkins would be better as a rising senior. No Duke colored glasses with this statement - Objectively, Duke actually came out ahead with losing McDonald and gaining Dawkins. McDonald has limited range, but is a great defender and a hard nosed kid that has a knack for scoring. He will never be a three point threat in college unless he vastly improves this area of his game. He is somewhat of a Gynyard type, which isn't bad. One of the most decorated recruitng analyst who happens to be a UNC fan told me that McDonald would be a role player in the Heels system. Dawkins will likely be more than a role player.

yancem
06-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Great news! It is aways nice to sign a top recruit.

Someone on another thread mentioned that we haven't offered Brandon Knight yet. But I thought that he was one of our top targets. Does anyone know what is going on with him?

watzone
06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Great news! It is aways nice to sign a top recruit.

Someone on another thread mentioned that we haven't offered Brandon Knight yet. But I thought that he was one of our top targets. Does anyone know what is going on with him?

He knows he has an offer if he wants one.

sandinmyshoes
06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Your firend has a good grip. He is more athletic than McDonald. He does have much better range and is more consistent with his shot. While McDonald has no three point game, he is a scorer, but then again, so is Dawkins. McDonalds defense is better., but Dawkisn is not bad. He's hard for a guard to shoot over. Both have good character with McDonald being well known for his. If McDonald is the 7th best player in his class like one service has him ranked, Dawkins would be better as a rising senior. No Duke colored glasses with this statement - Objectively, Duke actually came out ahead with losing McDonald and gaining Dawkins. McDonald has limited range, but is a great defender and a hard nosed kid that has a knack for scoring. He will never be a three point threat in college unless he vastly improves this area of his game. He is somewhat of a Gynyard type, which isn't bad. One of the most decorated recruitng analyst who happens to be a UNC fan told me that McDonald would be a role player in the Heels system. Dawkins will likely be more than a role player.

Thanks for the additional breakdown of his game. My friend told me that Dawkins' rating would be climbing and to watch out for him. This was before Andre opted for Duke, which will almost certainly add to the rise with the usual elite school bump.

As for the McDonald/Dawkins comparison. It's natural that it would be the first thing that I and many other Duke or UNC fans would think about, but the reality is not that simple. They're in different classes and the two programs have differing dynamics in their recruiting needs at any given time.

If we were going to do that comparison, Bullock and Dawkins would be the one to make. My friend offers that Bullock is ahead, but not nearly so much as the current rating/rankings would suggest. There is a lot of time for 2010 kids to mature and who knows which will be better by the time they actually suit up for a college team.

DC Chak
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM
His point was that the poster, "skitelz," was taking Scout's "work" (courtesy of other sites), accurate or otherwise, and divulging it on a free web site, dukebasketballreport.com.

So rumors are protectable intellectual property? News to me.

"Information wants to be free" - Stewart Brand

watzone
06-27-2008, 10:03 AM

DBR has a long tradition of not dealing with rumors, especially where recruiting is involved. Imagine this place full of rumors.

Dukebacker
06-27-2008, 10:20 AM

Hmm..So does that mean he doesn't have as much interest as we all think. Or Duke just hasn't extended an offer.

Dawkins is a 2-3 and Hairston could probably be a 4 and since Brandon is a 1-2 i would think we would be going after him hard now.

-jk
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM

"Premium" sites' user agreements ban divulging their information. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say whether or not such information would legally be considered "intellectual property," but we do try to respect the other sites, as we would expect them to respect DBR.

-jk

91.92.01DUKE
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Andre Dawkins is rated number 12 in Rivals 2010 rankings.
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1909

Supposedly he is still growing and might make 6'6'' or 6'7''.

If we could pick up Josh Smith, and Hairston, we could have a couple of really nice big men in the future.

DukeVu
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Andre is the perfect recruit for Duke. I love it when you do not have to beg and forever chase a recruit. Dawkins is a tremendous get and knows what he wants. Either he wants to come or he does not. Way to go!!

Blueequalslife23
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM

If we could pick up Josh Smith, and Hairston, we could have a couple of really nice big men in the future.

More than Likely Josh Smith is a very big longshot considering that UCLA is his dream school so unless Jeremy Tyler who is down to his top 2 teams, UCLA and USC goes to UCLA then Smith probably won't happen.

Carlos
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Could some student of the game compare and contrast McDonald's and Dawkins' games?

Dawkins is a much smarter player.

watzone
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Dawkins is a much smarter player.

Well, yeahhhhh! He chose Duke;) I just wanted to add that for those who didn't get it.

Cavlaw
06-27-2008, 12:31 PM
"Premium" sites' user agreements ban divulging their information. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say whether or not such information would legally be considered "intellectual property," but we do try to respect the other sites, as we would expect them to respect DBR.

-jk
It isn't intellectual property in the traditional sense. However, if the recipient of information ("Recipient") breaches a confidentiality agreement by disclosing such information that they have agreed to keep confidential, the recipient may have liability to the party that disclosed the information ("Discloser") to the Recipient.

Showing that a Recipient has breached the agreement can be hard to prove, and proving damages can also be problematic. Often, the Discloser will also seek injunctive relief to prevent the Recipient from further sharing of the information, but absent a proper provision in the confidentiality agreement that can be hard to get.

Typically, third parties who disclose information received from the Recipient have no liability and can't be subject to an injunction. And, of course, a Discloser has no rights with respect to the information when someone else discloses it.

Saratoga2
06-27-2008, 12:39 PM

All those years Nelson was represented at 6'4", along with a lot of others in basketball who were three inches shorter than advertised. If we are fortunate, Andre may be 6'4" by the time he gets to Duke.

Oriole Way
06-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm just relieved a talented player finally picked us after we missed on so many targets. Sounds like a great kid with some shooting prowess and potential. Hopefully this leads to Hairston following him to Duke soon.

skitelz
06-27-2008, 12:49 PM

whoa, whoa, whoa....this is what ive learned from the FREE scout board...the devil's den is the best duke forum for true recruiting news that ive ever come across. they were right about monroe, email, miles, eche, erik murphy, and mason before they made their official announcements.

ADD: i have no premium accounts or anything like that. tdd has members that are connected to the program and to the recruiting camps. they also have a rule about not posting premium content, so what I posted has nothing to do with premium content of any kind. please, watzone, don't prosecute me!! i have been on the prowl for another free duke board I could post on for some time and recently, I ran across this one. No, I am not Chris collins. lol. but seriously, tdd is a REALLY good board. and the stuff i posted about that recruiting class is basically common knowledge on tdd, sorry if i offended.

SilkyJ
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I think Wilson will get an offer. There are five backup plans. Dawkins replaced McDonald.

But they are in different classes, no? I thought Nick Russell was more the backup for that class.

So does that mean we'll just hang on to an extra scholarship in the class of '09? Doesn't make sense to me considering our frontcourt needs, so maybe we'd offer Wilson and Vinson? My head is spinning...

CameronCrazy'11
06-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Hmm..So does that mean he doesn't have as much interest as we all think. Or Duke just hasn't extended an offer.

Dawkins is a 2-3 and Hairston could probably be a 4 and since Brandon is a 1-2 i would think we would be going after him hard now.

Isn't Kenny Boynton also a 1-2 though?

watzone
06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa....this is what ive learned from the FREE scout board...the devil's den is the best duke forum for true recruiting news that ive ever come across. they were right about monroe, email, miles, eche, erik murphy, and mason before they made their official announcements.

ADD: i have no premium accounts or anything like that. tdd has members that are connected to the program and to the recruiting camps. they also have a rule about not posting premium content, so what I posted has nothing to do with premium content of any kind. please, watzone, don't prosecute me!! i have been on the prowl for another free duke board I could post on for some time and recently, I ran across this one. No, I am not Chris collins. lol. but seriously, tdd is a REALLY good board. and the stuff i posted about that recruiting class is basically common knowledge on tdd, sorry if i offended.

No problem, you have a right to your opinion. Still, there is no way in my mind that you got the info on the recruits before it happened on a free board. No way! So was it EWill will pick Duke, posted by an informed member? Please feel free to prove me wrong not that it matters. Funny, I haven't seen any of that information in that neck of the woods and I think many will disagree that TDD is the best free board for recruiting information from informed members close to the program. IMO, they ride the coattails of the national network which is Dave Telep and Evan Daniels two hard working and respected guys I see at the events. IOW, no firsthand views from the owner. Still, to each his own.

I have a friend sitting right beside me who told me that the info you gave from the free board is light years ahead of their premium content and he subscribes to all sites and that if true he will cancel his scripts. He is nudging me and saying something about a pancake bunny.

We enjoy links around here as well.

wilko
06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I get to dust off my Old "Duke is Dawsome" t-shirt.

skitelz
06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
perhaps i worded my post badly. when i said they knew what those recruits would choose, i did not mean they actually knew. i meant they gave their opinions on which way that particular recruit would go and there was a consensus on the board for what the recruit would choose. for the most part, the consensus has been correct. i dont know if other posters gave their opinions based on premium content or what, but no one ever claimed that. just like now, we have all been giving our opinion on if kenny will sign with duke. the consensus on that regard is that he really likes duke, but no one would be surprised that if derrick favors chooses gt, kenny would go there instead.

i have no idea what you are talking about with the riding the coattales bit...sorry, call me naive, but i really dont get into that stuff. all i know is that i have reasonable debates with the members on that board and i can get news there about the duke program that i otherwise couldnt get. you know like, finding out that duke was playing purdue in the big ten challenge. stuff like that is regularly posted on the site and makes it much easier for me to keep up with the duke news.

im not sure what you are talking about in reference to the info that is lightyears away. which post were you refering to? and also sorry about the links. next time i will be sure to include them.

watzone
06-27-2008, 03:26 PM
perhaps i worded my post badly. when i said they knew what those recruits would choose, i did not mean they actually knew. i meant they gave their opinions on which way that particular recruit would go and there was a consensus on the board for what the recruit would choose. for the most part, the consensus has been correct. i dont know if other posters gave their opinions based on premium content or what, but no one ever claimed that. just like now, we have all been giving our opinion on if kenny will sign with duke. the consensus on that regard is that he really likes duke, but no one would be surprised that if derrick favors chooses gt, kenny would go there instead.

i have no idea what you are talking about with the riding the coattales bit...sorry, call me naive, but i really dont get into that stuff. all i know is that i have reasonable debates with the members on that board and i can get news there about the duke program that i otherwise couldnt get. you know like, finding out that duke was playing purdue in the big ten challenge. stuff like that is regularly posted on the site and makes it much easier for me to keep up with the duke news.

im not sure what you are talking about in reference to the info that is lightyears away. which post were you refering to? and also sorry about the links. next time i will be sure to include them.

My friend was actually saying that if the content you credited to their free board was true, then it was better than their premium site which he subscribes to.

I think you will see similar posting shere as to items like playing Purdue. Did you know we might play them twice this season?

Still, you post a perfect example involving a rumor. That being if Favors goes to GT, Kenny will follow. This rumor came from Kendall Marshall's Dad who also called Dawkins to Duke on a UNC message board. (I don't miss much) Firstly, he may have got the information right in that he is from the Virginia area and participates or goes to the AAU circuits or it may be speculation.

Secondly, he has no business spreading that kind of stuff like an insider. He is a meddling parent. Oddly, at the NBAPA Camp (he was there, all over the place) former NBA players schooled the participants and parents warning them of meddling parents, yet it apparantely sink in. He was heard calling UNC coaches as well from several on press row.

Now he is talking about another kid from Virginia and Kenny Boynton. He has no right to steal a kids thunder and if I were a parent I'd let him know this. He wanted Duke to recruit his son and I am of the opinion Duke backed of from his aggression for they never offered.

He may have been trusted with the kids in Virginia's information, but my guess is that he guessed for I saw him talking with parents and I seriously doubt they tell him anything thinking he would then go spread it on the unc site.

Now, again, he might know something of the Virginia kids for he is from there, but he doesn't about a Florida kid, Therefore, people at TDD are dealing with rumors and that is not the norm here. He's reaching for an audience and what he is doing is unprofessional and irresponsible in my opinion.

So, yes I'd be surprised if KB went to GT, although it could happen. I don't buy into the fact that he is pulling Duke's leg around their neck and coming back to ... that's where I stop.

So, if TDD wants to allow these rumors, so be it. I will not do so on my site and I generally don't see it done here.

SilkyJ
06-27-2008, 03:26 PM
i know we love watching this debate about sites/premium sites/intellectual property happen for the hundredth time, but can we talk about something we care about like this kid, how it affects the overall recruiting picture, etc.

No offense to you wat, I love your stuff, but this happens seemingly a dozen times a year. Its not your fault really b/c half the time you are defending yourself and you have to earn a living too, but let's make this thread/conversation more productive for all of us.

I'll begin: GO TO HELL CAROLINA

(Edit: I wrote my post before I saw watzone's post immediately above...looks like we were typing at the same time. The above is actually kind of insightful with regard to a very specific situation that potentially affects us.)

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM
There are a handful of people who know which players K will visit and there is only one or two places where you might find out who they are. IOW, info on things like this are not announced to the world. Duke is recruiting a lot of players, but many have never heard from K nor will see him. The only ones that do get in homes are kids that will get an offer. Anyone who knows K's schedule is either really close to the program or has read it somewhere. Perhaps Chis Collins is posting;) That is sarcastic, but meant to be humerous.

This may be a 'well...duh" question but I'll ask it anyway. Would an offer ever be made without K meeting the player first?

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Reading this I came to the same conclusion.

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
DBR has a long tradition of not dealing with rumors, especially where recruiting is involved. Imagine this place full of rumors.

I come to DBR to find out what is happening, not what people hope will happen. I'm always grateful when the Mods weed out all of the rumor mongering.

watzone
06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
This may be a 'well...duh" question but I'll ask it anyway. Would an offer ever be made without K meeting the player first?

There would be an exception made for Yao, but K always has to see and meet a player before an offer is tendered.

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
He is nudging me and saying something about a pancake bunny.

We enjoy links around here as well.

I would like to know more about the "pancake bunnys."

CameronCrazy'11
06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I would like to know more about the "pancake bunnys."

http://heresabunnywithapancakeonitshead.com/

poobear
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks,I've been sitting here wondering what a pancake bunny is.
Great site folks.

DukeBlood
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Great. Glad to hear some good news from the recruiting world.

Wat, Is he really 6'4? I believe they listed D. Nelson at 6'3 out of High School. Which it turns out he was 6'1 with shoes.

Anyway, So let me try and get this all right. He is 6'4 and still growing, above average athlete(speed, jumping, quickness etc,.), Great outside shooter, Above average defender but has to defend kids 1-2 years older then him.

The roster for Boo Williams is loaded. To be honest its kind of surprising that Andre Dawkins made it ahead of the other 17-18 year olds.

Another name to watch out for is Nate Lukick. A 6'8 215lbs PF from Southborough, MA.

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
http://heresabunnywithapancakeonitshead.com/

Well...I'm disappointed

Bluedawg
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks,I've been sitting here wondering what a pancake bunny is.
Great site folks.

I knew I wasn't the only one!!!!

lawdevil
06-27-2008, 06:10 PM

-jk
For whatever it is worth, one cannot protect such information legally as intellectual property - unless someone quoted from a premium site verbatim.
As a matter of policy and/or ethics, one might want to abide by the prohibition - but enforcing it in a court would be practically impossible.

yancem
06-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Then why not go ahead and extend the offer? We have already offered two other players from the same class and one has already excepted. Does waiting to see what Boynton does have anything to do with it?

skitelz
06-27-2008, 11:36 PM
apparently i am naive...i have no idea what you are talking about with kendall's father...the line of thinking was more that derrick and kenny are friends and both are interested in gt. i had no idea about that situation, but i have to say it is interesting. i dont really remember how it came up. its a possibility that someone who frequents ic brought it up. which in that case it would mean it was "tainted" information like you talked about above. i share your opinion on that. i dont like rumors for the most part, and i sincerely appologize for bringing anything of the sort up. i guess i got ahead of myself in the adrenaline rush of dawkins committing. again, i sincerely appologize.

again on the whole free board content thing, it was more our opinions on what would happen with the recruit, not knowledge of what would happen. we just have happened to be right on a lot. and on some we are only half right. like on monroe, i think the consensus was he would go to lsu not gtown but whatev. i dont know maybe together we are all psychic;)

on the other note, no i did not know we could possibly play purdue twice. that would be awesome!! talk about strenghth of schedule. see, this is why i was searching for another free board. so i could learn even more duke possibilities like that.

watzone
06-28-2008, 12:12 AM
apparently i am naive...i have no idea what you are talking about with kendall's father...the line of thinking was more that derrick and kenny are friends and both are interested in gt. i had no idea about that situation, but i have to say it is interesting. i dont really remember how it came up. its a possibility that someone who frequents ic brought it up. which in that case it would mean it was "tainted" information like you talked about above. i share your opinion on that. i dont like rumors for the most part, and i sincerely appologize for bringing anything of the sort up. i guess i got ahead of myself in the adrenaline rush of dawkins committing. again, i sincerely appologize.

again on the whole free board content thing, it was more our opinions on what would happen with the recruit, not knowledge of what would happen. we just have happened to be right on a lot. and on some we are only half right. like on monroe, i think the consensus was he would go to lsu not gtown but whatev. i dont know maybe together we are all psychic;)

on the other note, no i did not know we could possibly play purdue twice. that would be awesome!! talk about strenghth of schedule. see, this is why i was searching for another free board. so i could learn even more duke possibilities like that.

Almost all the players on the AAU circuit are friends. I know KB knows Favors but I didn't know they were that close. I think KB will choose his on path.

Sorry I got on my soapbox, but as you can see the under belly of AAU events is not often pretty and rumors can be wasteful and harmful. I can't tell you how many folks with supposed good sources are wrong and it burns me up when some try to act as if they have the scoop and eat crow. Smoke and mirror techniques are pathetic.

unknown
06-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Yo watzone, check your PM's if you don't mind. 'Preciate it.

speedevil
06-28-2008, 04:28 AM

your right, i think TDD is the best in terms of recruiting info. i get more duke recruiting info for free there than most sites. plus most of their info is straight forward, they dont make you link to another website or browse the whole page to find the info. some of the most accurate and updated info about prospects. geez im gonna become a member of that site now, after i use my 7 day free trial which is cool.

watzone
06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
your right, i think TDD is the best in terms of recruiting info. i get more duke recruiting info for free there than most sites. plus most of their info is straight forward, they dont make you link to another website or browse the whole page to find the info. some of the most accurate and updated info about prospects. geez im gonna become a member of that site now, after i use my 7 day free trial which is cool.

That's more blantant advertising than aynthing I have ever done here. Tell that to my members who left that site. You are also promoting their free board on the best Duke free board there is hands down. It's like wading through the muck over there, imho. Oh, and this thread is about ANDRE DAWKINS.

Welcome to Duke Andre Dawkins! BTW, have you ever seen hits like on this thread or others over there?

skitelz
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
what do you mean hits?

and on the kenny thing: as a college kid, i am a member of facebook. kenny (iand we really do know that this is the real kenny) is only a member of two college bball related groups: duke and gt. this coupled with the facts already stated all equaled the possibility.

ooo, but wouldnt a potential backcourt of nolan, kenny, and elliot with andre as sixth man be delightful?!?

houstondukie
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
what do you mean hits?

and on the kenny thing: as a college kid, i am a member of facebook. kenny (iand we really do know that this is the real kenny) is only a member of two college bball related groups: duke and gt. this coupled with the facts already stated all equaled the possibility.

ooo, but wouldnt a potential backcourt of nolan, kenny, and elliot with andre as sixth man be delightful?!?

Don't forget Brandon Knight.

skitelz
06-28-2008, 07:31 PM
i dont know...i am one of very few who, right now at least, is not very high on Mr. Knight.

plus, my gut feeling is that he'll go to connecticut or florida, so, im not getting my hopes up.

Cdog923
06-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Glad to see us lock up a great prospect for the back court, and hopefully it causes Hairston to pull the trigger as well. We need help in the frontcourt.

roywhite
06-28-2008, 09:30 PM
That's more blantant advertising than aynthing I have ever done here. Tell that to my members who left that site. You are also promoting their free board on the best Duke free board there is hands down. It's like wading through the muck over there, imho. Oh, and this thread is about ANDRE DAWKINS.

Welcome to Duke Andre Dawkins! BTW, have you ever seen hits like on this thread or others over there?

Come on, Watzone. This is a young student who said he liked TDD for recruiting news. It's not his site. I enjoy reading your posts, but you constantly use this board to promote your own site. So be it, but please don't whine about a situation that is not even similar.

TheDuke11
06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
i'll tell you what would be frikin awesome, and that is if all of these big time sites like TDD,Watzone's,TDI, etc... would all consolidate and make one big huge super awesome Duke fan site. I mean, you'd think that Duke fans would rather look out for other Duke fans than try to bring them down and such.

Could you imagine the level of data we could get if the TDD, DBR, TDI, Zone would hook up? Holy crap. That would rock.

That said, the dude that runs TDD has always been frikin awesome to me and is a good dude, so are the cats at TDI. Watzone seems like a nice enough guy as well.

Lets do this. Come on.

yancem
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Seriously people, the tile of this thread is "Andre Dawkins to Duke" can we at least try to keep somewhere in the realm of this subject! I keep looking at this thread thinking that there is new news or information about Dawkins just to find yet another post about how great or bad TDD is or isn't. If people want to argue the merits of another message board start a new thread. Don't clutter up other threads and force others to wade through a bunch of @#%$&* to find the relevant information about the titled topic!

Edouble
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Do they call the young Mr. Dawkins "Dre"? Or maybe "The Hoops Hawk"?

BlueintheFace
07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
This is very important... are there any crazies out there who remember if there were any good cheers for Dawkins that could be revived?

BD80
07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
This is very important... are there any crazies out there who remember if there were any good cheers for Dawkins that could be revived?

I don't think playing "Johnny Be Good" will work well for Andre.

Sounds to me like we will have plenty of material to work with with this Dawkins. What great news to have such a good kid and such a talented basketball player.

It is interesting that Andre is so tight with Greg, I can see them being together for a few years at least. It sounds like Greg is on track for an assistant's position with the program (a National Championship as a player will add to his cache).

watzone
07-12-2008, 03:40 PM
The Nike Peach Jam kicked off today with a huge opening day upset. Dawkins played very well in just 8:38 of the first half.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

watzone
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Dawkins had another great effort as he drained several three point bombs to go with a bevy of blocks, boards and steals. His team, Boo Williams, has now won two striaght. Wojo was there to check him out.

Sandman
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I saw Dawkins in that game. His outside shooting looked very good. He looked like the youngest player on the court. His defense was somewhat lacking, but that will surely improve. Kendall Marshall is an excellent point guard with a pass first mentality, but can also drive and shoot -- definitely the engine for Boo Williams. I was disappointed in Dawkins' playing time; wanted to see more of him. I also watched the first half of the evening game, and Andre didn't get into the game until less than 2 minutes remaining.

Also saw Jamil Wilson play. He seemed like a decent player, but I didn't think he really stood out in the game I watched.

Several players performed really well Saturday. Xavier Henry and Daniel Orton are the real deal; both have outstanding physical ability and quickness, and play with intensity. Their AAU team (Athletes First) is the most physically imposing AAU team I have ever seen - they obviously spend way more time in the weight room than their peers (except maybe Team Odom, from California, whose players I don't know but, man, were they impressive both physically and talent-wise!).

Saw many coaches - Ole Roy, Perl, Purnell, Donovan, Hamilton, to name a few. It was good to also see Jeff Capel, and Johnny D was there, but it was really strange to see him in Stanford Cardinal red instead of Duke Blue.

The Peach Jam is just one example of the many excellent tournamaents now held around the country during the summer. The talent of the players and the quality games makes the Peach Jam an enjoyable annual event.

watzone
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Here is some more on the Peach, including stat leaders http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

Coaches can be out through tomorrow during this recruiting period.

BlueintheFace
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I already love this kid. He seems incredibly excited about Duke and is already trying to reel in two of our other top prospects that he is friends with. He will be coming down to Duke next weekend ... I can only assume Hairston and Thornton are the two prospects joining him since he has said that he would like to play with them and they are all from the same area. If we could have those three, it would make for a very nice corp of players for 2010 and I might love this kid even more.

Scout.com says:

Dawkins- #6 SG
Thornton- #9 PG
Hairston- #5 PF

Long Live Dawkins the recruiter (well, the newest one)

... maybe while he is at it he could grab us #4 SF Mychal Smith from Charlottesville or #2 SF Roscoe Smith from Baltimore

CameronCrazy'11
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
...bleeds Duke blue.

ice-9
09-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Blueintheface, great post!

So often we at DBR pay attention to recruits who take the longest to think about our offer while we tend to neglect the kids who know they want to come here and accepted our offer with little to no drama. Dawkins is one such kid and so I applaud any threads dedicated to him! That he is a really good player and a recruiter for us is icing on the top.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Duke can always use a Dawkins.

RainingThrees
12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf77WGfyFiM

As soon as he gets the ball he looks to shoot, but also had some nice rebounds and a couple dunks.

RainingThrees
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Can be hard to hear over the PA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5L2AafzP7U&feature=related

geraldsneighbor
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I think I saw him at the Davidson game...not sure if it was another recruit but he was with Chris Carrawell after the game.

BlueintheFace
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
looks good in blue. A definite plus.

SilkyJ
01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
looks good in blue. A definite plus.

Indeed.

I also liked the fact that when asked what Duke fans could expect from him he focused on "energy" and "playing hard." Speaks to his attitude, especially for such a young person.

DUKIE V(A)
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Time for some positive news.

Apparently, Mr. Dawkins can play (not that anybody doubted it). I read on virginiapreps.com that he is lighting up the Boo Williams Summer League to the tune of 35 ppg. Gotta love it. He's a shooter who can finish strong at the hoop. Nice combination.

I think we should add this to the good news column along with (in no particular order):

Dawkins helped lead his private school team Atlantic Shores to a 30 something and 2 record against stiff competition.

Josh Hairston led his team to the Virginia AA State title in decisive fashion.

Tyler Thornton helped lead his team (Gonzaga) to the Alhambra Catholic title over St. Frances. This is a beast of a tournament featuring many of the best Catholic programs in the country. This kid is a winner.

We got Curry.

Things are looking up for us and Barnes (or at least rumored to be).

We aren't out of it for Knight.

Our two recruits for next season Kelly and Plumlee can play.

Bledsoe is looking like a real possibility.

We may even have an outside shot at Wall.

We return a lot of talent next season (even if Henderson takes his game to the next level).

We have a great coaching staff and the best fans in the country.

We have a class program that does things the right way. I guess I would rather do things the way we do them than the UConn's (do you really think this is going to turn out okay Jimmy C?), Memphis', Kentucky's (they have sold their soul on their last two hires IMO; hope another probation isn't in their future), Maryland's (classless fans and don't graduate their players), etc. of the world even if it costs us a few more Ws.

Go Duke! Go Spartans! :D

Newton_14
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I had heard that Dawkins had raised his stock since signing with Duke. Very good to hear he is playing well. Same for the other kids as well. 2010 is looking brighter and brighter. Just hope to see Barnes and Knight come aboard! That would be a heckuva class!

BlueinBlo
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice work!!! Ya, Curry, Hairston, Dawkins and Thronton are nice but I would like a top recruit. Barnes or Knight would be a huge upgrade and a very nice commitment. I have noticed Josh Smith has been on Duke's radar and even got an offer, any word on him??

roywhite
04-05-2009, 10:01 PM
One account of a recent game for Dawkins indicated that he hit 9 3-pointers, and also had several "rim-rattling dunks". Long range shooting ability combined with size and atheticism---very nice.

The 2010 class could be very special.

COYS
04-06-2009, 02:06 AM
One account of a recent game for Dawkins indicated that he hit 9 3-pointers, and also had several "rim-rattling dunks". Long range shooting ability combined with size and atheticism---very nice.

The 2010 class could be very special.

He really is supposed to have eye-opening athleticism in addition to his deadeye accuracy from three according to ESPN and some of the other recruiting services. I know he's not currently ranked in the top ten, but he certainly sounds like he's got absolute star potential. I'm excited to see him in Duke colors.

FireOgilvie
04-06-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm really excited about this kid. I have a feeling he's going to be moving up the rankings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGxY1N6x0c

Recruiting is all about getting a few key stars that other recruits want to be on the court with. I think Andre Dawkins is one of those stars.

mr. synellinden
04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
A combo guard named Dawkins from the D.C. area who wears #24? An explosive scorer who can light it up from outside and who has great hops?

roywhite
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
A combo guard named Dawkins from the D.C. area who wears #24? An explosive scorer who can light it up from outside and who has great hops?

More like a shooting guard from Tidewater, VA, but, hey, close enough. :) He looks like a player.

Icarus09
04-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I was not aware that Dawkins will actually be a fifth year senior next year. Perhaps that has helped his development.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
From what I've read, scouts say that Hairston will be a really good player at Duke. Dawkins, on the other hand, has the potential to be great. JJ great.

He has JJ's touch (okay, that may be an exaggeration, but he can shoot. I think Ellington's touch may be a better example) and G's athleticism. Plus, he can play D. Of all our recruits, he is the one that I am looking forward to the most.

His stock has soared recently. He will be absolutely nasty.

Lets go Spartans!

JDev
04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I was not aware that Dawkins will actually be a fifth year senior next year. Perhaps that has helped his development.

I guess that rules him out of next year's McDonalds game.

soccerstud2210
04-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Time for some positive news.

Apparently, Mr. Dawkins can play (not that anybody doubted it). I read on virginiapreps.com that he is lighting up the Boo Williams Summer League to the tune of 35 ppg. Gotta love it. He's a shooter who can finish strong at the hoop. Nice combination.

I think we should add this to the good news column along with (in no particular order):

Dawkins helped lead his private school team Atlantic Shores to a 30 something and 2 record against stiff competition.

Josh Hairston led his team to the Virginia AA State title in decisive fashion.

Tyler Thornton helped lead his team (Gonzaga) to the Alhambra Catholic title over St. Frances. This is a beast of a tournament featuring many of the best Catholic programs in the country. This kid is a winner.

We got Curry.

Things are looking up for us and Barnes (or at least rumored to be).

We aren't out of it for Knight.

Our two recruits for next season Kelly and Plumlee can play.

Bledsoe is looking like a real possibility.

We may even have an outside shot at Wall.

We return a lot of talent next season (even if Henderson takes his game to the next level).

We have a great coaching staff and the best fans in the country.

We have a class program that does things the right way. I guess I would rather do things the way we do them than the UConn's (do you really think this is going to turn out okay Jimmy C?), Memphis', Kentucky's (they have sold their soul on their last two hires IMO; hope another probation isn't in their future), Maryland's (classless fans and don't graduate their players), etc. of the world even if it costs us a few more Ws.

Go Duke! Go Spartans! :D

my buddy's brother plays(ed) with curry at liberty. says the kid is a black hole, and doesnt play defense. let's just hope that K can change that.

dukeballer2294
04-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I guess that rules him out of next year's McDonalds game.

how do u become a 5th year senior exactly im guessing grades?

DUKIE V(A)
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Not of Dawkins' case in particular but...one way to do it is to transfer from a public school to a private school and reclassify. Example: Say player X attends Johnson City HS (Public) for his freshman and sophomore years. He may transfer to Jahnson Catholic (Private) and enroll as a sophomore. Many private schools with strong athletic programs allow this practice.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Dawkins is impressing everyone...

SG Andre Dawkins
6-4/190, Chesapeake (Va.) Atlantic Shores Christian
Dawkins, a Duke commitment, was superb throughout the event. He shot the ball with precision and with range, attacked the basket and completed some tough finishes in the midrange. As impressive as Dawkins was on the wing offensively, he was just as impressive all over the court as a defender. Dawkins' game warrants the addition of another star by his name.

studdlee10
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
how do u become a 5th year senior exactly im guessing grades?

It could be because of grades or discipline (see early John Wall), but that's not always the case. Miles Plumlee was a 5th year and he was strong enough academically to gain entrance into Stanford.

A lot of times, kids are held back a year purely for sports purposes early in their HS careers, ie another year of development, etc. It's pretty common, see Jordan Hamilton, Wall this year....Jeremy Tyler, Kendall Marshall, Dawkins next year. Some kids don't get any D-1 offers that intrigue them, so they wait and spend a fifth year at Hargrave, or something similar. This is more common in football, but it does happen in basketball, see Chris Braswell formerly of G'town.

JasonEvans
04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
It could be because of grades or discipline (see early John Wall), but that's not always the case. Miles Plumlee was a 5th year and he was strong enough academically to gain entrance into Stanford.

A lot of times, kids are held back a year purely for sports purposes early in their HS careers, ie another year of development, etc. It's pretty common, see Jordan Hamilton, Wall this year....Jeremy Tyler, Kendall Marshall, Dawkins next year. Some kids don't get any D-1 offers that intrigue them, so they wait and spend a fifth year at Hargrave, or something similar. This is more common in football, but it does happen in basketball, see Chris Braswell formerly of G'town.

It is even more common than you might imagine. Tyler Hansbrough, for example, stayed extra long in high school. That is why he is almost 24 years old right now as a graduating college senior. More often than not it has nothing to do with grades or discipline.

-Jason "Dawkins will be younger as a freshman than Hasbro was as a freshman" Evans

BD80
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
... -Jason "Dawkins will be younger as a freshman than Hasbro was as a freshman" Evans

I think Zoubek will be younger as a senior than Hansthuselah was as a freshman.

I hear they will be carbon dating Hans and Dikembe Mutombo to see which is older.

Hans is so old ...

gw67
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
It is becoming increasingly popular to hold back youngsters for a year or have them attend prep school for a year to mature before entering college. A close friend of mine had his youngster attend public school through eighth grade and then repeat that grade when he transferred to a catholic school in DC. The youngster was no dummy but he grew, put on some weight and was able to compete in the tough Met Catholic League. He played four years at Cornell.

Don't know if he was held back, but Kyle Singler will be 21 in less than three weeks. Nolan Smith is not much younger. He will be 21 in July. I don't think that it is unusual to find athletes who are older than their classmates. One of the reasons Blake Griffin might be attractive to the NBA (besides his obvious talent) is that he just turned 20.

gw67

roywhite
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
It is becoming increasingly popular to hold back youngsters for a year or have them attend prep school for a year to mature before entering college. A close friend of mine had his youngster attend public school through eighth grade and then repeat that grade when he transferred to a catholic school in DC. The youngster was no dummy but he grew, put on some weight and was able to compete in the tough Met Catholic League. He played four years at Cornell.

Don't know if he was held back, but Kyle Singler will be 21 in less than three weeks. Nolan Smith is not much younger. He will be 21 in July. I don't think that it is unusual to find athletes who are older than their classmates. One of the reasons Blake Griffin might be attractive to the NBA (besides his obvious talent) is that he just turned 20.

gw67

Good point, gw67...we do see more of the extra year these days, possibly because of the increase in prospects going to prep schools.

On the other side, both David Thompson and Mike Gminski graduated from high school at age 16. They were true prodigies.

MADevil30
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM

I graduated from a prep school in Massachusetts and, although we did not have any post-grads, it was standard practice that almost any athletic recruit repeated the last year that he/she had completed at any other school. For us the game was usually hockey, football, or lacrosse, but I would assume the same things go on in basketball.

roywhite
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Young Mr. Dawkins is also gaining a reputation as a very enthusiastic recruiter for Duke. He encouraged both Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston to commit to Duke and is now "working" on some other high-profile prospects. He sees the 2010 class as being the cornerstone of championships at Duke.

Sounds good to me.

dukeballer2294
04-14-2009, 07:53 PM

gw67

are 5th year seniors eligible then to play their 5th year of bball in high school? i read somewhere that Hamilton did not play this year

turnandburn55
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Young Mr. Dawkins is also gaining a reputation as a very enthusiastic recruiter for Duke. He encouraged both Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston to commit to Duke and is now "working" on some other high-profile prospects. He sees the 2010 class as being the cornerstone of championships at Duke.

Sounds good to me.

Would it be sacrilege to say that's almost... "Battier-like"?? :D

throatybeard
04-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I think Zoubek will be younger as a senior than Hansthuselah was as a freshman.

Finally, this trenchantly unfunny, unwitty and utterly petty tradition of Dukefan monikers for TH has resulted in an actually clever one.