PDA

View Full Version : Draft thread

UVaAmbassador
06-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Dont know if this belongs here or off topic, but how about a draft thread?

I love Rose 1.

I like Beasley 2, but unfortunately, in the NBA draft, trades aren't announced until the SECOND team picks, so Miami could have traded this pick and we won't know until pick 4, 6, whatever they traded down to.

Mayo at 3 is fine, hard to see him happy in tropical minnesota though...

pamtar
06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I think Rose will be one of the biggest No. 1 pick disappointments ever. However, I think Chicago made the right choice based on their current situation.

weezie
06-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm kinda feeling OJ will be the bigger disappointment. But, Love will definitely surprise.

matrix1686
06-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Charlotte drafts D.J. Augustin? I guess MJ and Larry might be ushering Raymond "Hotplate" Felton out of town

roywhite
06-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Brandon Rush #13 to the Portland Trail Blazers---a terrific pick IMO; Portland is getting an excellent nucleus of good young players (particularly if Greg Oden is 100% physically). Rush just seems to me like a #2 guard who could play successfully for 10+ years in the NBA.

Namtilal
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Magic pick a shooting guard?

TRADE JJ!

CameronCrazy'11
06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Magic pick a shooting guard?

TRADE JJ!

It is a little weird that they seem so intent on paying him $2 mil a year just to drink their gatorade.

RelativeWays
06-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Really surprised that Chalmers and Douglas-Roberts haven't been picked, especially in light of a couple of no name guards from mid major conferences that go selected before them. That George Hill kid had the same measurements as Dmarc. I hope he gets picked in the 2nd round, maybe Kyle Hines will get picked as well.

moonpie23
06-26-2008, 10:53 PM
so JJ hickson goes 19th.......

better than Ty lawson, ellington and greene......they couldn't even get a team to SAY they would take them, and jj goes 19...

man, i bet the three headed monster is cussing.....

jj hickson MILLIONAIRE - ty lawson - NOT

JJ didn't even get invited to work out!!!!

RelativeWays
06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
According to Jay's best available list, Deron thug Washington is better Demarc.

:mad:

wisteria
06-26-2008, 11:50 PM
5 to go, still no Demarc..

speedevil
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
is he gonna get drafted in 2nd round?

RelativeWays
06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Not gonna happen. Off to Europe I guess, or maybe someone will sign him on a tryout.

wisteria
06-27-2008, 12:07 AM
The end.

DeMarcus undrafted.

camcraz25
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
The end.
None from UNC drafted either.

MHTorringjan
06-27-2008, 12:30 AM
The end.

DeMarcus undrafted.

Seriously, I don't understand how Deron Washington, who isn't as good of a player or have that good of an attitude, can get drafted and DeMarc can't. Really, I'm disappointed for DeMarc, because he deserved better than not being drafted. :-\

M.H.

Edouble
06-27-2008, 02:53 AM
The end.
None from UNC drafted either.

Maybe if Quentin Thomas moves to Croatia or France and gets citizenship, he could be drafted.

Nelson is better off not getting drafted. He can work out for several teams after free agency/trades sort themselves out.

moonpie23
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
he may make a team yet...then he will just have to prove his worth...

i think he still has his degree from duke... ;) so, he's gonna be ok..

cspan37421
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Looks like Detroit is serious about resurrecting their bad boy image. My hometown team, of sorts - but with 'Sheed and Deron, no way I can root for them. (and Rip - though he's not as unlikeable as 'sheed and deron, he had a role in foiling the '99 Duke juggernaut's roll to the title).

BD80
06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Looks like Detroit is serious about resurrecting their bad boy image. My hometown team, of sorts - but with 'Sheed and Deron, no way I can root for them. (and Rip - though he's not as unlikeable as 'sheed and deron, he had a role in foiling the '99 Duke juggernaut's roll to the title).

Not under Mike Curry. Curry will be as hands-on as Flip Saunders was hands-off. There will be aggression and hard fouls, but not the punk attitude or displays you have seen from Washington.

Actually, the Pistons need Rasheed to ramp up his emotion and take over games. They hired Pat Sullivan (who will be a legitimate coach) in large part because of his relationship with Sheed (roommates in college). I was hoping that Larry Brown would want Sheed to come to Charlotte to show the other tarheels how to "play the right way", but the only players the Bobcats have that the Pistons would want are Gerald Wallace or Jason Richardson.

It looks like the Pistons will keep Sheed until his contract expires so they can get under the cap for free agency at the end of the year - which explains why they traded out of the 1st round and avoided giving out a guaranteed rookie contract.

Olympic Fan
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
After watching four hours of ESPN's draft coverage, I was struck by how badly the anchor desk needed Mel Kiper -- or at least the basketball equivilent.

They needed somebody to point out that not every player picked was a future all-star or that he perfectly fit the needs of the drafting team. Even Bilas, who used to occassionally offer a critical comment (remember when he said Adam Morrison couldn't guard a bank?) was in NBA lap-up mode.

This draft called for a commentator with the guts to criticize -- when OJ Mayo is taken No. 3, couldn't somebody suggest this guy is a selfish ball-hog ... the second coming of Stephon Marbury (instead, we later get them lapping up to Marbury "who can still be a great player for the Knicks). I forget which pick it was, but somebody uses the No. 19 or so pick on some 7-footer from Spain who averages 5 points and 5 rebounds in the pro league there and all foreign "expert" Fran Fraschilla can do is rave about his potential. Charlotte uses the No. 9 pick on a point guard and nobody mentions that they have a 25-year-old point guard that they took with the fifth pick two years ago?

Look, I'm not saying that I know OJ Mayo will be a bust, but the question marks about his game and character deserve to be discussed. The implications of the Augustin pick vs. Felton should have been explored.

Most of the guys picked last night will be either busts or at best mediocre role players. I would have liked to see a little sense of reality and not the NBA suck-up fest that ESPN offered.

Indoor66
06-27-2008, 11:11 AM
After watching four hours of ESPN's draft coverage, I was struck by how badly the anchor desk needed Mel Kiper -- or at least the basketball equivilent.

They needed somebody to point out that not every player picked was a future all-star or that he perfectly fit the needs of the drafting team. Even Bilas, who used to occassionally offer a critical comment (remember when he said Adam Morrison couldn't guard a bank?) was in NBA lap-up mode.

This draft called for a commentator with the guts to criticize -- when OJ Mayo is taken No. 3, couldn't somebody suggest this guy is a selfish ball-hog ... the second coming of Stephon Marbury (instead, we later get them lapping up to Marbury "who can still be a great player for the Knicks). I forget which pick it was, but somebody uses the No. 19 or so pick on some 7-footer from Spain who averages 5 points and 5 rebounds in the pro league there and all foreign "expert" Fran Fraschilla can do is rave about his potential. Charlotte uses the No. 9 pick on a point guard and nobody mentions that they have a 25-year-old point guard that they took with the fifth pick two years ago?

Look, I'm not saying that I know OJ Mayo will be a bust, but the question marks about his game and character deserve to be discussed. The implications of the Augustin pick vs. Felton should have been explored.

Most of the guys picked last night will be either busts or at best mediocre role players. I would have liked to see a little sense of reality and not the NBA suck-up fest that ESPN offered.

I agree, but then, it is ESPN. What do you expect?

Matches
06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
{shakes head at the Bobcats}

#9 - they draft a PG even though they already have one. Felton's not great but he's okay - they needed someone to back him up but you don't use the 9th pick in the draft on a sub. Presumably they will now try to trade Felton?

#20 - they gave up their 2009 #1 pick to get this one, then used it on a guy who averaged 5 ppg in France last year and probably won't be NBA-ready for a few years. Did a team that needs immediate help really think it made sense to mortgage a future draft pick to get a guy that can't help right away?

(Of course, the consolation is that the 2009 #1 they traded away is top-14 protected - so if things go like they look they will go next season, they'll still have the pick to use on Danny Green or something.)

roywhite
06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
{shakes head at the Bobcats}

#9 - they draft a PG even though they already have one. Felton's not great but he's okay - they needed someone to back him up but you don't use the 9th pick in the draft on a sub. Presumably they will now try to trade Felton?

#20 - they gave up their 2009 #1 pick to get this one, then used it on a guy who averaged 5 ppg in France last year and probably won't be NBA-ready for a few years. Did a team that needs immediate help really think it made sense to mortgage a future draft pick to get a guy that can't help right away?

(Of course, the consolation is that the 2009 #1 they traded away is top-14 protected - so if things go like they look they will go next season, they'll still have the pick to use on Danny Green or something.)

I thought bringing in Larry Brown to coach was a good step in the Bobcats developing some kind of coherent strategy. But if so, the draft didn't exactly reveal what that strategy is.

My guess is that Brown is not sold on building a team around Ray Felton (one would presume Brown is well-connected for honest feedback from the Carolina crowd on this one) and is making other arrangements at PG.

Okafor, if healthy, is a solid rebounder and defender. Don't know if Sean May has a future in the league, and Adam Morrison is a question mark, also. Brown has shown to be expert at developing a young group of players into a competitive, winning team; will be interesting to see how things go with the Bobcats. He's got his work cut out.

BD80
06-27-2008, 12:38 PM
... also. Brown has shown to be expert at developing a young group of players into a competitive, winning team; will be interesting to see how things go with the Bobcats. He's got his work cut out.

Huh? Brown works well with VETERAN players. Rookies sit.

Classof06
06-27-2008, 01:16 PM
so JJ hickson goes 19th.......

better than Ty lawson, ellington and greene......they couldn't even get a team to SAY they would take them, and jj goes 19...

man, i bet the three headed monster is cussing.....

jj hickson MILLIONAIRE - ty lawson - NOT

JJ didn't even get invited to work out!!!!

As a Cavs fan, I like the Hickson pick but it does nothing to make us better in the immediate future (not that you can expect immediate impact players with the 19th pick). With the Lebron clock ticking, this pick doesn't do much to make us more of a contender.

Hickson is a good pick nonetheless and drafting him tells me Varejao's days as a Cav are numbered.

moonpie23
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
i am gonna lay odds that hickson is going to be a surprise.....in a good way...