PDA

View Full Version : Question about remote control/computer

BCGroup
06-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm looking to purchase a remote that I can use with my laptop (mainly for use when I present so I'm not tied to the laptop). Any recommendations? Thanks!

2535Miles
06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm looking to purchase a remote that I can use with my laptop (mainly for use when I present so I'm not tied to the laptop). Any recommendations? Thanks!
Are you presenting on your laptop or through a projector?

BCGroup
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Through an LCD projector--today I used equipment at the site and they gave me a remote, so I could circulate within the group--wonderful, so I thought I would buy one. They had something that looked like a flash drive that plugged into the USB port to connect it.

2535Miles
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Through an LCD projector--today I used equipment at the site and they gave me a remote, so I could circulate within the group--wonderful, so I thought I would buy one. They had something that looked like a flash drive that plugged into the USB port to connect it.
Gotcha. Some projectors come with their own controllers, which also offer more tools to control the projector and your computer.

As far as just the computer interface types go; some are small, some are large, some are extremely awkward to hold and use. The best advice I can give you is to make sure it has a laser pointer and to get out and play with as many as you can before you buy. See if you can get a 30-day return and actually walk-through a presentation before you decide.

BCGroup
06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks--I hadn't thought about the laser pointer, but I'll do some checking around. I just wasn't sure if there was a "great" brand or not.

2535Miles
06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks--I hadn't thought about the laser pointer, but I'll do some checking around. I just wasn't sure if there was a "great" brand or not.
I've been a fan of Logitech for small accessories you might start there. Honeywell (http://www.powerremote.com/Prod_PPmousePresenter.htm) makes one with built-in mouse controls. Our LCD Projector uses a controller that's very similar and I love it because it not only provides controls for forward, back, stop, etc., but it also has left and right clicks, and a track ball so you can navigate your computer.

Oh yeah, and it has the laser pointer. Can you tell I'm big on the laser pointer? It really comes in handy, or so I've heard. I never use it for presentations. It's more of a toy in my hands. :D

Clipsfan
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I think that some phones have the ability to control presentations through Bluetooth. I don't know if that's applicable for you, but it's fairly cool.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
my roomate and I can not find the freaking remote. which one of you shmoehawks took it?

BCGroup
06-25-2008, 07:41 AM
I've been a fan of Logitech for small accessories you might start there. Honeywell (http://www.powerremote.com/Prod_PPmousePresenter.htm) makes one with built-in mouse controls. Our LCD Projector uses a controller that's very similar and I love it because it not only provides controls for forward, back, stop, etc., but it also has left and right clicks, and a track ball so you can navigate your computer.

Oh yeah, and it has the laser pointer. Can you tell I'm big on the laser pointer? It really comes in handy, or so I've heard. I never use it for presentations. It's more of a toy in my hands. :D

Thanks! I started with your Honeywell one, but then found this over at Tiger Direct:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1519454&body=REVIEWS#tabs

It's tiny, which will travel well for me on planes. Their return rate is less than 1%, and I can return it if I don't like it. So, I'm going to see if it will work for me. Thanks again for your help.

2535Miles
06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks! I started with your Honeywell one, but then found this over at Tiger Direct:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1519454&body=REVIEWS#tabs

It's tiny, which will travel well for me on planes. Their return rate is less than 1%, and I can return it if I don't like it. So, I'm going to see if it will work for me. Thanks again for your help.
Awesome. And it has a laser, very important to have a laser.