PDA

View Full Version : Your Monday

DevilAlumna
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
What kind of day was it?

hc5duke
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Stuck in a worthless project (actually make that two worthless projects; two different clients, two different languages), people asking for updates, bugs coming in that aren't really our fault but still need to be fixed, etc. Doesn't help that I was at work 6pm-10pm Sunday evening, but at least I didn't go to work til after lunch (~2pm).

Looks like you didn't exactly enjoy yours either, guessing from your selection in the poll?

ohioguy2
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
My wife and three of her best friends are in central Ohio (Amish country) helping the nation's economy. Last night my 94 year old father in law is taken to the hospital with chest pains. I am there with my mother in law until 4 a.m. Turns out he had over medicated himself with some of his meds. Easy for a 94 year old to do--did I mention my mother in law is blind? My wife called this morning to see how things were going--"don't even talk to me about it"----:confused: Hey I've recovered except for anticipation of the MC bill for quilts, etc.

CameronBornAndBred
06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I was up late painting until 3am, and got up at 7 to get to work by 8. Tried to come home after and take a nap, but stepson had friends over (noisy friends) and that became a lost cause. And I'm staying up again late to get some more painting done. Art has never been 9-5 for me. Anyways, I voted "other" because it was my own doing.

Jarhead
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I voted delightful, because it has been a delightful day. I had a good day on the golf course, and my wife and I enjoyed reminiscing about last week. Our 14 year grand daughter, a rising freshman at Durham School of the Arts, spent the whole week with us, and it was glorious. We are always happy to have our grand kids visit, and what makes it even better for us is that they are usually the ones who decide to make the visit.

DevilAlumna
06-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Looks like you didn't exactly enjoy yours either, guessing from your selection in the poll?

Yeah, I was in a daylong "communications style" training course, to confirm that yes, I'm a "Green" team-building/collaborative helper, as opposed to my colleagues, who are primarily "blue," data-driven analytical types, or "red" direct, driven folks. And of course, the one hour where I needed to be elsewhere, turned into the one hour of the training where I really had to stay to get anything out of the day.

Then I got to back to my office for a few hours of real work. But I did make it to the gym too, so yay for scheduled pilates classes.

dukemomLA
06-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Normally, Monday is not my favorite day of the week, but since I am a Grandma to a new Blue Devil (parents, daughter Alex and son-in-law Kent, both class of '01), this particular Monday was joyous.

Greta Mei (....tribute to our Norwegian heritage & Kent's Chinese roots) was born at 1:18am, June 22. 7 lbs/9oz, 20 1/2 inches. Pics to come (wearing her Duke shirt, of course).

Yet another Cam Crazy on the way.

YmoBeThere
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Food poisoning over the weekend...Monday saw the full effects of it.

hurleyfor3
06-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Sore from hiking in Colorado on Sunday. Tired from getting back to Chicago at midnight and getting five hours of sleep... then working out at 6am, as if I hadn't punished myself enough.

I feel better this morning.

blublood
06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Just another soul-sucking day here on the job. But my husband and I did play Egyptian rat screw (the card game, people, get your minds out of the gutter!) until the late hours of the evening, which we haven't done in a while, so that was fun.

ugadevil
06-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Just another soul-sucking day here on the job. But my husband and I did play Egyptian rat screw (the card game, people, get your minds out of the gutter!) until the late hours of the evening, which we haven't done in a while, so that was fun.

Egyptian Rat Screw! A classic for long rode trips on buses. I said it was a good Monday because it's another day closer to the 4th of July. I love it because I'm American!

Lavabe
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
The driveway people, while preparing to pour concrete, cut our broadband cable. We just did get it repaired today.

House repairs stink!:mad:

Fish80
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Got up at 3:45 am to catch a ridiculously early flight.

Sat in an airport hotel conference room for 10 hours negotiating a deal that died several times during the day yet somehow came out still breathing.

Ate dinner and drank too much in the hotel restaurant. Went to bed about 1:00 am.

Got up at 4:45 am to catch a ridiculously early flight . . .

blublood
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
The driveway people, while preparing to pour concrete, cut our broadband cable. We just did get it repaired today.

House repairs stink!:mad:

Wait - you mean you called a cable company with a problem and they actually came, addressed, and repaired the problem?? That's not a bad Monday, that's a bloody miracle!

Lavabe
06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Wait - you mean you called a cable company with a problem and they actually came, addressed, and repaired the problem?? That's not a bad Monday, that's a bloody miracle!

No ... the concrete folks repaired it. Seriously.

My daughter was all set to watch the Jonas Brothers last night. No IMing. No email. The cable issue caused all sorts of heartache.

Now that it's fixed, it's better, but making sure the work got done ... well THAT'S been an issue.

Tuesday Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
06-24-2008, 09:13 PM

OMG, I know we used to play that game every single day on my busride into high school (it was a 35-45min. trip each way, so we got a LOT of hands in.) But, sadly, that's been nearly 20 years now, and so I can't even remember the rules of the game.... :( Here's hoping Wikipedia comes to the rescue.

And geez, Fish80 and Lavabe, thanks for helping me put my dull day in perspective. :D

-jk
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
My almost 5 year old mysteriously hurt his leg: doctor's visit, missed camp, had to be schlepped around all day Monday, the whole bit. (He's fine today, though. Amazing how they bounce back. Now if only my back would bounce back!)

I was feeling a bit frustrated (it blew my to do list out of the water) until I came home to find our town overrun with firetrucks and EMTs: A house around the corner from us was utterly destroyed in a house fire. They lost everything. Absolutely everything. Fortunately, no one was at home and no one was injured.

We still don't know how it started, but the Fire Marshall's office was poking around this afternoon. It's the second older house destroyed by fire in two years within two blocks of mine (the first was started by a sleepy cigarette smoker).

I could smell the char from my back yard this evening. I'm counting my blessings, sore back and all.

-jk