PDA

View Full Version : DBR Mock Draft - MAKE PICKS HERE!

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 02:14 AM
The draft is now on!!

Make your pick in this thread and please post some kind of explanation for what you did. There are NO TRADES ALLOWED.

As mentioned elsewhere, please make picks in a timely fashion. Between 8am ET and 6pm ET you will be "on the clock" and expected to make your pick within 1 1/2 hours. If you take longer than 1 1/2 hours... well, don't make me go there. Please let me know via PM if you can't keep up - let's try to finish this before the real thing Thursday evening.

Thanks, and enjoy!!!

Here is the draft order:

Chicago - ivduke - Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis
Miami - Duke09 - Michael Beasley, F, Kansas State
Minnesota - Eternal Outlaw - OJ Mayo, G, USC
Seattle - pfrduke - Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona
Memphis - TheBrianZoubekExperience - Kevin Love, PF, UCLA
New York - Bob Green - Anthony Randolph, F, LSU
LA Clippers - 91.92.01Duke - Eric Gordon, G, Indiana
Milwaukee - Bluedog - Joe Alexander, F, West Virginia
Charlotte - ugadevil - Brook Lopez, C, Stanford
New Jersey - juise - Danilo Gallinari, SF, Armani Jeans Milano
Indiana - bbar7502 - JJ Hickson, F, NC State
Sacramento - Clipsfan - Russell Westbrook, G, UCLA
Portland - Pacificrounder - D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas
Golden State - TheBrianZoubekExperience - Kosta Koufos, C, Ohio State
Phoenix - matrix1686 - Alexis Ajinca, C, Hyeres-Toulon
Philadelphia - Turk - Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown
Toronto - Dukie412 - Robin Lopez, C, Stanford
Washington - bdh21
Cleveland - dukejim1
Denver - ForeverBlowingBubbles
New Jersey - juise
Orlando - mike88
Utah - ForeverBlowingBubbles
Seattle - pfrduke
Houston - merry
San Antonio - MarineTwinsDad
New Orleans - STILL AVAILABLE!!!
Memphis - TheBrianZoubekExperience
Detroit - BD80
Boston - Edouble
Minnesota - Eternal Outlaw
Seattle - pfrduke
Portland - pacificrounder
Minnesota - Eternal Outlaw
LA Clippers - 91.92.01Duke
Milwaukee - Bluedog
Charlotte - ugadevil
Chicago - ivduke
New Jersey - juise
Indiana - bbar7502
Sacramento - Clipsfan
Sacramento - Clipsfan
Seattle - pfrduke
Washington - bdh21
Phoenix - matrix1686
Golden State - TheBrianZoubekExperience
Seattle - pfrduke
Dallas - STILL AVAILABLE!!!
Miami - Duke09
Houston - merry
Seattle - pfrduke
LA Lakers - STILL AVAILABLE!!!
Detroit - BD80
Boston - Edouble

Bluedog
06-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Uh, are we waiting on ivduke to make the first pick? It's been almost 3 hrs since he's been "on the clock"....

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
3 hours has passed, which is way too long, particularly for the first pick. I'm putting on my commissioner's hat and selecting Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis for the Bulls. Duke09 - you're on the clock.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah this is ridiculous, the actual NBA teams only get like 10 minutes so you would think somebody could make their pick, especially #1, within less than 2 hours

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
The Bulls just pulled a Minnesota Vikings! Weren't they the ones who didn't get their pick in a few years ago?

Now, a question on the Bulls taking Rose. If you were the GM, would you trade away one of your arsenal of guards? If so, which one would you get rid of?

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I think it has to be Hinrich since Rose is more of a PG than a SG. If you trade Gordon then you are stuck with Hinrich and Rose in the backcourt. Gordon should be even better with Rose beside him.

The Bulls should look into trading Hinrich for Zach Randolph. That would solve their low post scoring issues and with Joakim Noah beside him they wouldn't be too horrible inside on D like the Knicks were with Randolph and Curry.

juise
06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Hmmm.... this is not going well. It looks like the clock is almost up on the second pick as well (30 minutes to go).

Bluedog
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmmm.... this is not going well. It looks like the clock is almost up on the second pick as well (30 minutes to go).

Is there any doubt it's Beasley? Might as well make the pick for Duke09.... ;)

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
2 and a half hours and counting...I don't think Duke09 will be picking

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
People - you've got to show up and make your picks. I'd like to put on my commissioner's hat as little as possible for the remainder of the draft. Nonetheless, since Duke09 is now an hour late, I'm making Miami's pick.

Riley made a lot of noise about not really liking Beasley, but since we can't trade in this draft, and he's head and shoulders the best player on the board, that's the pick - with #2, Miami takes Michael Beasley, F, Kansas St.

Eternal Outlaw, you're on the clock. Please pick before 3 eastern (but earlier if you can!).

Edouble
06-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Wow, it took 6 hours to get Rose and Beasley on the board! :p

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
So have IVDuke and Duke09 now lost the drafting rights in the next rounds? At this rate, will get to the second round next month.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 02:12 PM
So have IVDuke and Duke09 now lost the drafting rights in the next rounds? At this rate, will get to the second round next month.

I mean, it's not like there are dozens of posters clamoring to make their picks for them. I'll be much better about the 1.5 hour time limit from here on out - ~3 hours for each was too generous. Second round may shrink to a 1 hour time limit. And although everyone goes off the clock at 6 eastern, I encourage everyone to keep making picks through the night.

Also, we have a poster lined up for the New Orleans pick (again, if we ever get there).

Edouble
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Could we set a goal of finishing the lottery today? This may be bold as there are only 4 more hours "on the clock".

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
2 and a half hours and counting...I don't think Duke09 will be picking

This is just another bad sign of the Heat management. They don't even have a clue when the draft is and who they're picking! :eek:

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
That's the problem with a Monday morning...you forget that it's the day the draft is happening and forget to show up to make your picks. I forgot until now, but apparently my 12th pick won't happen until Friday or something. The good part about that is I can just go with what actually happens :)

juise
06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey, PFR... sorrry the draft is off the such a rough start. I appreciate your effort in putting it together. At least we know that after this third pick, we'll pick up some momentum. The posters for picks 8-10 are already on record in this thread and you know Bob Green's all hopped-up on caffeine pills (it's 3:30AM in Japan, I think) ready to make his pick. :p

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Something that may help would be to change the thread title to the person whose pick it is? Another thing that would be helpful would be to edit the first post as picks are made so that there is a complete list as well as an easy way to see whose pick it is (assuming that changing the thread title is too much of a pain). I had to read through all the posts just to learn that we're still on the 3rd pick.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
This is fun - I've always wanted to do a mock draft by myself on a public message board. Eternal Outlaw, your 90 minutes have expired. With the third pick in the draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select O.J. Mayo, G, USC.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
And now a pick I'm actually supposed to make...

With the 4th pick in the draft, the Seattle (for now, and hopefully for a couple more years) Supersonics select their point guard of the future, Jerryd Bayless, G, Arizona.

Ridnour and Watson are highly paid underachievers at the point guard position. While the Sonics desperately need interior help, I'm not super excited about Brook Lopez as the solution to our center problems, and we really need a point guard too. Bayless has size, strength, and quickness. He may not be a perfectly natural point guard, but he can do enough to get Green and Durant the ball on the wings and make things happen in an up-tempo game, which the Sonics love to run. Extremely excited about Bayless in the green and gold.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Something that may help would be to change the thread title to the person whose pick it is? Another thing that would be helpful would be to edit the first post as picks are made so that there is a complete list as well as an easy way to see whose pick it is (assuming that changing the thread title is too much of a pain). I had to read through all the posts just to learn that we're still on the 3rd pick.

Editing the first page would be great, and I kindly request a mods' assistance for that. For the time being, picks thus far are:

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless

Memphis and TheBrianZoubekExperience - you're on the clock. Pick is due by 4:40 eastern.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I like the Bayless pick. Word of Seattle right now is that the Sonics are also strongly looking at B.Lopez and Russell Westbrook, but I agree with pfrduke that Bayless is the right pick. Lopez and Westbrook are going to be good players but Bayless has a chance at being a real star. With Bayless, Durant, and Jeff Green the Sonics would have a brighter future than if they took Westbrook or Lopez.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I like the Bayless pick. Word of Seattle right now is that the Sonics are also strongly looking at B.Lopez and Russell Westbrook, but I agree with pfrduke that Bayless is the right pick. Lopez and Westbrook are going to be good players but Bayless has a chance at being a real star. With Bayless, Durant, and Jeff Green the Sonics would have a brighter future than if they took Westbrook or Lopez.

Westbrook I don't understand as a PG pick. I think it's just a huge roll of the dice - he's not a guy who's had a lot of experience as a primary ballhandler. You can teach jumpshots if you have a PG with a weak shot. I'm not sure you can teach an athletic (but smallish) 2 to become a 1.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I think Bayless does have more PG skills than Westbrook but not many more. If the Sonics do take Bayless it will help that Jeff Green is such a good passer. I think Bayless is almost as much of a risk at PG as Westbrook, but the biggest difference is his scoring ability.The Sonics really need another scorer to pair with Durant. I doubt Green ever becomes that scorer, but Bayless could be and then you would have Green as a glue guy.

juise
06-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Here we go, TBZE, here we go! *CLAP* *CLAP*

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
New rules from here on out. Once 1.5 hours (1 hour in the second round) have passed, any poster may step in and make the next pick. First come, first served. Then the next team will be on the clock. So at 4:40 eastern, if TBZE has not made the pick, anyone can feel free to jump in and select for Memphis.

pfr "JasonEvans is so firing me as mock draft commissioner" duke

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Memphis selects Kevin Love
The Grizz need some post scoring and Love is the best big man left.

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Bob Green PM'ed me his list of choices, and asked me to act as proxy.

With the sixth pick, the Knicks select Anthony Randolph, F, LSU.

His (brief) rationale - Anthony Randolph (a 6-10 SF with good skills, possibly a future Kevin Garnett).

91.92.01Duke - you're on the clock.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Worst pick of the draft so far. The last thing NY needs is a project like Randolph. The kid weighs 197 and is at least two to three years from making any kind of impact. Looks like things haven't changed in the Donnie Walsh era.

I think Westbrook was a more logical choice for NY. His skills are tailor made for D'Antoni. Westbrook would have provided explosiveness, toughness, defense, and some PG skills...all right now instead of later.

91.92.01DUKE
06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
With the Seventh pick in the 2008 NBA draft the Los Angeles Clippers select Eric Gordon of Indiana. Big guard, with 6'9" wingspan, excellent scorer. If Maggete goes he can provide points. Hopefully, he will shoot better from the 3 sans injury. Gets to the line quite a bit. May contribute immediately. The Clippers need a point guard but Westbrook just isn't one (small 2 guard). The Clippers (if they were under my control) would look for a point guard in Free Agency or hope near devil Shaun Livingston heals successfully.

Bluedog
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
With the eighth pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select Joe Alexander, SF, West Virginia. Did you watch him destroy us in the NCAA tournament? This guy is a beast and his Orlando camp results confirm this. The Bucks needs pretty much everything, but they are particularly bad at small forward and center. They drafted Yi Jianlain last year at center, who has been very mediocre, but could still improve a lot. I think Joe Alexander is the best available player. It was between Alexander, Gallinari, and Brook Lopez for this pick. I just thick Alexander will prove to be the better NBA player than Lopez - he's much more athletic and has proven he can compete against the best of the best. Lopez would eat up lesser opponents, but I feel that he struggled against NBA level big men. Also, the Bucks drafted a center last year with the 6th pick, and I know nothing about Gallinari, so I didn't choose him. Alexander can also talk to Yi since he was born in Taiwan and lived in China for 6 years - so, that'll be nice for Yi!

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 06:03 PM
With the 9th pick in the 2008 draft, the Charlotte Bobcats select Brook Lopez, from Stanford. Many people have questioned Lopez's ability, but I have confidence in Lopez and in Coach Brown's ability to develop him as a solid big man in the NBA. Brook Lopez at center, with Emeka Okafor and Gerald Wallace, hopefully these three will anchor a strong defense in the post. Also, hopefully Lopez will be able to use his offensive skills to draw a double team, which will leave good perimeter looks for Jason Richardson and Matt Carroll.

juise
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
With the tenth pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the New Jersey Nets select Danilo Gallinari, SF, Armani Jeans Milano.

The Nets have their perimeter (Harris/Carter/Jefferson) locked in for at least the next three years. The post players, though, are either free agents or young projects (Josh Boone and Sean Williams). So with two first round picks, a post presence would be quite welcome. Lopez was the ideal pick, but the Bobcats snatched him up. After Lopez, there isn't much value in the post here. Westbrook is intriguing (primarily because he fell a little), but the Nets already have a versatile, explosive guard in Harris.

Gallinari is the best fit for this pick. He has some height at the small forward and adds a needed outside shooting touch. His range may pull big men away from the basket and create lanes for the aforementioned perimeter players. There is some speculation that the Nets already have deal with his agent. I would have been much more excited about Lopez here, but think we'll probably see this pick made in the real deal as well.

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Worst pick of the draft so far. The last thing NY needs is a project like Randolph. The kid weighs 197 and is at least two to three years from making any kind of impact. Looks like things haven't changed in the Donnie Walsh era.

I think Westbrook was a more logical choice for NY. His skills are tailor made for D'Antoni. Westbrook would have provided explosiveness, toughness, defense, and some PG skills...all right now instead of later.

Given that the first 3 picks were the standard ones off the mock drafts (and fairly accepted as being the top 3 players at this point) Randolph is far and away the surprise of our draft. I think that there is a good chance that Westbrook will be taken by NY if he stays on the board that long, but you never know.

bdh21
06-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Can a mod edit the first post of the thread to show who has already been picked? Otherwise this will start getting confusing pretty soon.

juise
06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Here's a quick and dirty update:

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Randolph
7. Gordon
8. Alexander
9. Lopez
10. Gallinari

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
And Bbar is on the clock...I'm next.

bbar7502
06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I select JJ Hickson for the Pacers, I'll give details after I get off work.

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Wow! Surprise pick right there. I'm interested to see the reasoning behind Hickson.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm gonna guess Bbar is trading away Jermaine O'Neal, otherwise, how in the world do you not pick Westbrook or Augustin?

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM

I think that was even more of a surprise than Randolph.

I think that Sacramento would be delighted to have the choice between Westbrook and Augustin with the 12th pick. I think that Beno has significant potential, but beyond him they have nothing at the point. I'm actually torn but am going to go with Westbrook as I've seen him play a ton and think that he would provide a great counterpart to Beno, focusing on the defensive end while Beno is a very capable distributor. I know that he's incredibly athletic, and think that he can improve his shot, but I'm really not sure what his court vision is like (and this having seen him play a lot). UCLA didn't have much in the way of shooters to dish to and I think that he'd be able to get inside and find guys like Martin. His defense/size gives him the edge over Augustin.

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Pacificrounder is on the clock...Is it too much to hope that he'll make his pick in the next 90 minutes despite not having logged on in 4 days?

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Hickson was definitely a surprise and not a great pick in my opinion, however, the Kings would probably crap their pants if Augustin and Westbrook were both on the board

Bluedog
06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Pacificrounder is on the clock...Is it too much to hope that he'll make his pick in the next 90 minutes despite not having logged on in 4 days?

Yes.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
You might want to make Russell Westbrook's name bold so people know he is picked.

juise
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
You might want to make Russell Westbrook's name bold so people know he is picked.

How about this:

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Randolph
7. Gordon
8. Alexander
9. Lopez
10. Gallinari
11. Hickson
12. Westbrook

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
it'll work

juise
06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
it'll work

Tough customer.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
i didn't mean anything negative. i'm happy you posted that, it was an even better idea than just bolding the name

juise
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
i didn't mean anything negative. i'm happy you posted that, it was an even better idea than just bolding the name

I should have done one of these: :p ;)
No offense taken.

Back on topic, I guess since we're making after hours picks here, PacificRounder's clock doesn't starts until 8AM ET. With that name and the fact that he/she picked the Blazers, I'm guessing she/he is a fellow Oregonion. If the pick doesn't get made tonight, I'm guessing that someone else will be making it around 9:30ET tomorrow morning.

Clipsfan
06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I should have done one of these: :p ;)
No offense taken.

Back on topic, I guess since we're making after hours picks here, PacificRounder's clock doesn't starts until 8AM ET. With that name and the fact that he/she picked the Blazers, I'm guessing she/he is a fellow Oregonion. If the pick doesn't get made tonight, I'm guessing that someone else will be making it around 9:30ET tomorrow morning.

Yep...it's not a good thing when some of the names are ones which I barely know or haven't seen before at all on this board. They could always be lurkers, not posters, but it often means they don't check regularly.

matrix1686
06-23-2008, 09:16 PM
that's disappointing, i monitor the draft all day long then get two picks away only to find out we are basically done for today...and of course I won't be able to pick tomorrow until after 1:00

bbar7502
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I'll admit the Hickson pick is a little iffy but here is my reasoning. Indiana (and I would if I could) is shopping around O'neal very hard. Word is that Toronto has offered up their 1st round pick and TJ Ford. Also the Suns have made some sort of offer involving Boris Diaw. There are some other unnamed teams that are interested too. To me Hickson is the best big availible with a lot of upside. He has gotten a lot of rave reviews in the draft camps and I always though he had the tools but maybe not the coach.;) I could see him fitting in nicely with the Pacers and if the Ford trade happens which I would take in a hearbeat they could then play with other players like Tinsley and get another quality player in the first round.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I checked earlier when there were two picks and it seemed like no one had any idea what was going on. unfortuantely, I can't check it every hour and there was no real indication of what time I was going to pick. Just checked now and my pick is gone.

Anyway, for the record given the picks at the time, I would have probably taken Love too. I'm not high on him but he fills a need and should have the room to develop in Memphis. If would have considered Westbrook too because he's probably the best available but they have such a logjam at the G that I probably would have went Love.

Next pick I'll take Koufos if he's on the board or if not I'll take Arthur.

Duke09
06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry for the missed pick. I made it last year but it slipped my mind this year. I definitely would have taken Beasley. He's too talented and Miami just needs to take the best player available. I'll make the 2nd round pick.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Also, for next year, probably an easier way to do this is to just set a day for the first 15 picks or so to have their preferences in. Each team sends the organizer their big board and they get the top guy on their board who is available. In other words, each team just messages whoever is running the draft and that guy resolves it and posts the first ten picks. Then people can come on in the next day or so when they have time and explain their picks and people can criticize etc. Could have the first 15 be due by Sunday night or something, then the next 15 the next day, etc. You'll run into some issues if a team has multiple picks in a given set, i.e. if a team has the 5 and 7 pick they may prefer guy A but depending on how the first 4 picks go they might pick guy B thinking its more likely A falls to them and they get both guys they want instead of having to go with option C. You;d have to work around that but would still probably go smoother.....Anyway, thats my .02.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 07:24 AM
I pick for the Suns at #15, but I probably won't be able to make the pick before 1 today so if I don't make it before the 1 and a half hour time limit then somebody please pick one of these players in this order for my team. I'll explain my pick later in the day.
1. D.J. Augustin
2. Alexis Ajinca
3. Robin Lopez
Sorry, I was ready to go yesterday but today it'll be hard to get my pick in

ugadevil
06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?

pfrduke
06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone can now pick for Portland at 13 - first come, first served.

Edouble
06-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone can now pick for Portland at 13 - first come, first served.

With the 13th pick in the draft the Portland Trailblazers select Joe Alexander from West Virginia.

juise
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
With the 13th pick in the draft the Portland Trailblazers select Joe Alexander from West Virginia.

Great pick... if we were still on the board. ;)

Edouble
06-24-2008, 10:47 AM
With center and shooting guard locked up for the long run, Portland could use the most help at point guard and small forward. Although DJ Augustine is available, the 'Blazers already have an undersized PG in Jack and I'd say that a 6'8" forward with Alexander's skill set is a more valuable choice at this spot in the draft.

Edouble
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Great pick... if we were still on the board. ;)

OK, I feel pretty silly. I somehow missed his name there. I guess I have spacial issues or something, as I seem to have a problem reading lists that aren't perfectly tab aligned. My fault everyone (aka the three people that are reading this).

I'll let someone else make Portland's pick, please.

juise
06-24-2008, 10:54 AM
With center and shooting guard locked up for the long run, Portland could use the most help at point guard and small forward. Although DJ Augustine is available, the 'Blazers already have an undersized PG in Jack and I'd say that a 6'8" forward with Alexander's skill set is a more valuable choice at this spot in the draft.

I personally think that the Blazers should package this pick and trade it. Since we don't have that option here (and Alexander went to Milwaukee), I think they either go with Augustin or Ajinca. Ajinca doesn't fill that need you mentioned, but he's a pretty unique talent this far into the first round. I also think the Blazers may be high on Brandon Rush, but I'm not a fan of that pick.

juise
06-24-2008, 10:55 AM
OK, I feel pretty silly. I somehow missed his name there. I guess I have spacial issues or something, as I seem to have a problem reading lists that aren't perfectly tab aligned. My fault everyone (aka the three people that are reading this).

I'll let someone else make Portland's pick, please.

No worries. I think you should take another stab at it.

juise
06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Alright, I guess I shamed Edouble out of making the pick (my apologies!), so I'll make it. I already wrote my analysis above. I like Ajinca and Augustin, but the Blazers would really need to move some guys (big contracts) out to find time for him. Same goes for Augustin at the point, though there's less money tied up there. They have:

PG: Steve Blake / Jarrett Jack / Sergio Rodriguez
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Channing Frye / Josh McRoberts
C: Greg Oden / Joel Pryzbilla / Raef LaFrentz

Really, I think they either need to move some players or move the pick... or both. In the end, they don't have a good long-term solution at point.

So, with the thirteenth pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Portland Trail Blazers select D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas.

juise
06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Based on other posters' proxy choices (posted in this thread)...

14. Golden State - Kosta Koufos, C, Ohio State
15. Phoenix - Alexis Ajinca, C, Hyeres-Toulon

Edouble
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Alright, I guess I shamed Edouble out of making the pick (my apologies!), so I'll make it.

No, you didn't. ;) I actually just had an appointment at 11:00, so I had to leave for a bit. Thanks for cleaning up my mess.

Turk
06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
With the 16th pick in the draft, the Sixers select Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown.

Perhaps Billy King was not the village idiot everyone in Philthy seemed to think the last couple of years. Here is his legacy: Andre Miller is flourishing under Coach Mo Cheeks, and Sweet Lou Williams is an exciting combo guard. Andre "The Other A.I." Iguodala has All-Star ability at SF, and rookie Thaddeus Young showed flashes of excellence on offense at PF, yet still possessing even more Tremendous Upside Potential. Last season, the Sixers exceeded expectations, going from a predicted 30 wins to a surprising playoff spot, and being more than competitive against Detroit. While Slammin Sammy Dalembert is a serviceable pro center, the Sixers are limited by inconsistent production from the 4 and 5 spots.

Hibbert should be an improvement over Dalembert in all phases of the game. Roy can't run like Sammy, but they don't need him to fill lanes on the fast break. Hibbert's biggest contribution will be providing a solid low-post scoring option with better passing in the half-court game.

Other candidates considered:
K. Koufos - would have considered him if still on the board... Like his offensive skills...

Marreese Speights, C, Florida - Nope, although a lot of mocks like him in Philly. I haven't seen him play to make my own evaluation, but I'm betting he will be no better in the pros than Hibbert 2-3 years down the road, and Mo can play Hibbert now.

Darrel Arthur, PF, Kansas - Nope, already have Thaddeus Young... same type of player

(OK, so maybe Billy overpaid Kyle Korver, Willie Green, and Sammy... Still, no one bats 1.000 and this team should improve next season regardless of who is drafted...)

And sorry for the long writeup - caught me at lunchtime!!

juise
06-24-2008, 12:23 PM
For those scoring at home:

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Randolph
7. Gordon
8. Alexander
9. Lopez
10. Gallinari
11. Hickson
12. Westbrook
13. Augustin
14. Kufos
15. Ajinca
16. Hibbert

Dukie412
06-24-2008, 12:34 PM
With the 17th overall pick, the Toronto Raptors select from Stanford, Robin Lopez

There has been lots of trade talks about TJ Ford being traded away and most of the talk has been with acquiring an athletic slasher than can score and help defend. I'm going to pretend I haven't heard of the recent Jermaine O'Neal possibility and just assume Toronto will acquire a wing player in the trade.
That leaves Toronto looking for a player that can step in and make contributions right away. Toronto is very thin and weak up the middle and most notably have suffered with rebounding and defending. Chris Bosh can't do it all and definetely needs help down there, and with Nesterovich's expiring contract you can expect him to be moved at the mid season trade deadline so they need a young center to be able to take over. Robin definetely brings the hustle, defence, rebounding and spark that the Raptors could use right away and should help Bosh down low. He is never going to be a big scorer in this league and there are better wing and centre prospects available in the draft but they already have one project and potential bust in Bargniani and they need the help right away and Robin would bring them that.

juise
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
With the 17th overall pick, the Toronto Raptors select from Stanford, Robin Lopez

Welcome to the board! Good pick/analysis... and way to be on the ball.

MarineTwinsDad
06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
If you are having trouble keeping up with the picks, you can go to the ESPN Mock Draft Machine (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/features/draftmachine) to input the selections that have gone before. It also provides a way to see who is left. Of course, if you have to work, and work at a place that doesn't allow you to check in here very often, too bad.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm back now so I guess I'll give my analysis on taking Ajinca at #15. I was torn between Ajinca and Robin Lopez. I also really liked Brandon Rush and what he could bring to the Suns. In the end, though, I think Ajinca is the best pick because of his potential.

The Suns really need a back up big man for Shaq and Amare. I know Lopez can come right in and be a solid backup in the post, but I think Ajinca could become an all-star down the road with the right coaching and I'm not sure Robin Lopez ever will be an all-star. At 7'1" with a 7'7" wingspan Ajinca will be a terror defensively. While Ajinca needs to put on weight, at his current size he can still back-up the PF position. With Shaq on the team, Ajinca will have a couple of years to put on weight. That is another reason I took him because with his potential and with Shaq already on the team I think Shaq could really help groom him and turn him into an all-star player.

The Suns are also in a lot of trade discussions. A deal is supposedly being talked about where Barbosa goes to Portland for Martell Webster and the #13 pick and another one is Diaw for T.J. Ford. I think some picks are also involved in the Diaw/Ford trade. These are 2 deals I would also make. Webster would give the Suns the shooter they are desperate for and Ford would give them a backup PG who would start when Nash retires. So if all this happened they would have Ford, Webster, and Ajinca or another big man if he was gone. This would significantly upgrade their chances at a championship.

MarineTwinsDad
06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
In the absence of BDH21, could I suggest that Brandon Rush be sent to Washington to replace the loss of a Tarheel? He's about the best left on the board, and will be needed pretty much right away next year.

juise
06-24-2008, 02:06 PM
You beat me to it, MarineTwinsDad.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree with the Rush selection as well. Washington doesn't really need him but taking the Best player available is a good idea. Besides now they can get rid of Gilbert "crybaby" Arenas.

Looks like it's up to Dukejim1 and Cleveland to ge their pick in before 3:40

ivduke
06-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Computer crashed yesterday and I of course had the first pick. Ironically enough I tried to select it early, but was told to wait.....Anyway...thank you prf for taking Rose, as he was my pick anyway and I definitely think a trade will take place with that crowded backcourt. However, Rose is too good to pass up and is a native son who will put butts in the seats as well....

bdh21
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
In the absence of BDH21, could I suggest that Brandon Rush be sent to Washington to replace the loss of a Tarheel? He's about the best left on the board, and will be needed pretty much right away next year.

Great pick. Let's run with it...

Clipsfan
06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
It's been a really busy morning at work and I was worried that I'd maybe missed my chance to pick (I'm something like #42 or something). I had to laugh at myself when I noticed that it took more than 15 hours for the pick after mine (the 12th) to be made. At least we've picked it up a little since then.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
times up for Cleveland, I suggest C DeAndre Jordan, he has the potential to be an all-star big man much like Andrew Bynum. LeBron could have an excellent go-to post option in a couple of years if he works hard and develops right.

Turk
06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
times up for Cleveland, I suggest C DeAndre Jordan, he has the potential to be an all-star big man much like Andrew Bynum. LeBron could have an excellent go-to post option in a couple of years if he works hard and develops right.

Nope. You really think LeBron will still be in Cleveland in 2 years? Not me...

And when did Bynum become an all-star? He's not there yet...

BTW, Simmons and Chad Ford are catching up over on ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?page=DraftDebate-080624

So next year, instead of having us all jump in and grab teams and then not pick, maybe we should vote for two DBR people to do the same thing and play the Simmons / Bill Murray and Ford / Jane Curtin roles.... Just a thought...

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I think LeBron will still be in Cleveland. He's grew up in Ohio all his life. He's already been to the Finals once. If Danny Ferry can get his act together and get a decent sidekick for LeBron then I think he definitely stays. I think the only way he leaves is if the Cavs get worse over the next two years.

Yes, Andrew Bynum is not an all-star but he is well on his way to being one. If DeAndre Jordan develops like Bynum did (which is very possible) then you have a very dangerous Cavaliers team much like the Lakers team (pre-Gasol) this year

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Denver - Donte Green...

Denver needs a big man, and arguably the best player left on the board at this point anyways.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I like Greene's potential but I think Mario Chalmers would have been a better fit. With Linas Kleiza, Kenyon Martin, Nene, Carmelo, and Camby the frontcourt is crowded, but PG is a real sore spot. Chalmers would have brought good defense and would have been another good shooter on the perimeter.

juise
06-24-2008, 05:48 PM
With the twenty-first pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the New Jersey Nets select Marreese Speights, PF/C, Florida.

This pick was a tough one. I was really hoping for DeAndre Jordan to fall here, but had no such luck. The Nets need an inside presence, which lead me to look at Speights, Arthur and McGee. McGee was intriguing, but really just too much of an unknown quantity to take here. Arthur doesn't seem like much of a banger and has been very inconsistent in NCAA play. Speights has shown a diverse skill set (post moves, mid-range, passing). He seems to have more... *gulp*... upside.

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Good pick, Arthur is good but Speights can play a little bit of center as well as PF. He'll mix well with Sean Williams and Josh Boone.

Now it's up to Mike88 and Orlando. Let's see if we can keep the drafting going.

ugadevil
06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Now it's up to Mike88 and Orlando. Let's see if we can keep the drafting going.

Come on Mike88! Take another 2-guard! Let's have another example of how the Magic really aren't going to use J.J.

mike88
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Chris Douglas-Roberts from Memphis

The Magic need help at power forward (until it is clear whether Tony Battie will return to his previous level of play after his shoulder surgery) and at shooting guard, as they will likely not re-sign Maurice Evans.

I would have been happy with Speights from Florida, but CDR offers a lot of upside at the 2 position. I think it is a close call between him and Courtney Lee, but I am going with Douglas-Roberts.

-mike

juise
06-24-2008, 06:34 PM
So we have:

1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Randolph
7. Gordon
8. Alexander
9. B. Lopez
10. Gallinari
11. Hickson
12. Westbrook
13. Augustin
14. Kufos
15. Ajinca
16. Hibbert
17. R. Lopez
18. Rush
19. Jordan
20. Greene
21. Speights
22. Douglas-Roberts

matrix1686
06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Foreverblowingbubbles and the Utah Jazz are up

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Chalmers - Best player available

bhd28
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM
good choice... they could use some more length in the PF/C position, but a good backup PG who plays good D and can hit shots makes sense.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
its going to be quite interesting to see how this draft compares to the real one (if we finish this one in time)...

pfrduke
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I'll say from the outset that I don't really like this pick. After Swift, Petro, and Sene, the last thing the Supes need is another project center. But... they do desperately need a center. So when there's a guy who's a legit 7', who knows how to play defense, who's shown range to the college 3, and who (unlike the aforementioned three draft picks) has played at a level higher than high school (or the equivalent), I think the Sonics roll the dice again.

The 24th pick is Jevale McGee, C, Nevada.

matrix1686
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
The 24th pick is Jevale McGee, C, Nevada.

That must be JaVale McGee's evil twin.

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
With nothing heard from Merry, let's say Houston picks an Olajuwan: Serge Ibaka for the pick 25.

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
With the 26th pick, San Antonio selects Darrell Arthur.

The question with San Antoinio is in relation to international players, as they have done well in the past by drafting future players who they leave overseas to gain additional experience. However, that hasn't worked out the best for them in the last couple of years. They actually gave up on Luis Scola, in spite of the fact that he seemed a better all-round player than Fabricio Oberto. The two internationals left on the board now, Nicolas Batum and Ante Tomic, have weaknesses in areas that the Spurs need strength. Arthur is the best on the board, and by many predictions would go much higher in the draft. He would provide a better set of skills than Oberto.

In terms of the pick for Houston, Serge Ibaka is predicted to grow to over 7', and in a couple of years will be quite a force to play alongside Yao Ming. They would provide defense - offense, and make it very difficult to play against Houston length.

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
For the sake of this draft, and if no one else is signed up for New Orleans, may I suggest that they would be best off by drafting someone to back up Tyson Chandler, someone who would be pretty much ready to go in that spot: Jason Thompson, one of the few seniors in the draft, with size and proven ability to rebound and score?

This will be my last post for awhile, as I'm feeling uncomfortable being the only poster on this thread this morning.

pfrduke
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
That must be JaVale McGee's evil twin.

Indeed. I'll take the one who actually played :)

BD80
06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
For the sake of this draft, and if no one else is signed up for New Orleans, may I suggest that they would be best off by drafting someone to back up Tyson Chandler, someone who would be pretty much ready to go in that spot: Jason Thompson, one of the few seniors in the draft, with size and proven ability to rebound and score?

This will be my last post for awhile, as I'm feeling uncomfortable being the only poster on this thread this morning.

Fine, be that way. Strip three players from the board that I was hoping would fall to the Pistons and then run away:)

I am not familiar with the Hornets roster, but Thompson seems like a good pick if they are looking for scoring from the 4 spot. I think he would be more a back-up for David West, particularly against the big men in the western conference, but he is the kind of guy the Pistons would have taken anticipating Rasheed's departure this year or next.

Arthur was a steal for the Spurs, he should contribute early but also has "upside".

I'm not sure Houston has the patience to wait for Ibaka. McGrady is too fragile to rely on for long term, so the current window may be short. I would have taken Arthur for the Rockets and then Ibaka for the Spurs who seem more willing to wait for foreign players to mature.

Now let's see how much Memphis can ruin the remainder of the Pistons' draft board ...

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Normally I would have agreed that the Spurs draft the international player, stash him overseas, and pick him up later. However, age is a factor now. San Antonio would be better served by trying to add someone now who can produce effectively in the near future. Again, they normally don't plan on adding through the draft, but with Arthur available, that's a real possibility (there is absolutely no way he'll be available to the Spurs during the real draft). Which brings me to the Rockets.

Houston has a number of players in the range of Arthur: Scola, Chuck Hayes, Lampe, and that other fellow, what's his name, oh yeah, Battier. But Ibaka has tremendous "upside," and at only 18 is still growning. Someone like Mutombo would be able to give him guidance in order to get him the basketball maturity that he needs, if the Rockets did bring him over to play in the NDBL.

It just doesn't seem to me that the Spurs will want to go the overseas route again this year.

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
BD80, why don't you choose for Memphis? That way you'll have the satisfaction of selecting who you really want, regardless of the team.

This draft has lost its air.

pfrduke
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm not sure it had any to begin with....

BD80
06-25-2008, 02:04 PM
BD80, why don't you choose for Memphis? That way you'll have the satisfaction of selecting who you really want, regardless of the team.

Tough pick. They have two young PGs, and lost their best when Navaro returned to Europe. They have Marc Gasol coming and have KLove in this draft. They are strong at SG with Gay and Miller.

I would select Ante Tomic 7-2 C Croatia – who is compared to young (21) Pau Gasol. He needs to stay in Europe, but the Griz will already have two young post guys to work into the rotation.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this pick get swapped for a veteran PG.

BD80
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
A coin toss between Courtney Lee 6-5 SG Western KY and Nicolas Batum 6-8 SG France. Batum needs strength and agressiveness, is young (20), but reportedly has lottery level offensive and defensive talent. Lee is compared to Rip Hamilton.

Considering this is such a bad draft overall, I'll go with a flyer and take Batum, hopefully stashing him overseas for another year - I don't think he counts against the cap if he is signed overseas. Rasheed comes off the books next year, and the Pistons will be active in the free agent market if we haven't moved Sheed before then.

If Thompson had been on the board, he would have been perfect, and fits Dumar's profile. DJ White is listed as a possible choice, but I think he is a poor version of Jason Maxiell. Some have said we will take Bill Walker, but I have heard first hand that his knees will stop the Pistons from taking him in the first round.

Edouble
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
With the 30th pick of the first round, the Boston Celtics select DeVon Hardin from Cal.

Hoping to return the full roster from the reigning NBA Champs, Boston picks up the physically imposing Hardin who has the ability to make an instant defensive impact, and can take time to more fully develop his offensive skill set with the Celtics already in a comfortable groove.

Edouble
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
1. Rose
2. Beasley
3. Mayo
4. Bayless
5. Love
6. Randolph
7. Gordon
8. Alexander
9. B. Lopez
10. Gallinari
11. Hickson
12. Westbrook
13. Augustin
14. Kufos
15. Ajinca
16. Hibbert
17. R. Lopez
18. Rush
19. Jordan
20. Greene
21. Speights
22. Douglas-Roberts
23. Chalmers
24. McGee
25. Ibaka
26. Arthur
27. Thompson
28. Tomic
29. Batum
30. Hardin

juise
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Sweet! The second round... A.K.A. "Who has the guts to take Demarcus highest?"

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
maybe we should just end it on the first round...

juise
06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
maybe we should just end it on the first round...

If we're going to end it, we at least have to take Demarcus 31st and then end it. :)

MarineTwinsDad
06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Strangely enough, there's only a couple of names I even recognize who would be drafted in the second round - White from Indiana, Dorsey from Memphis, a couple others - so I'm not particularly interested in waiting another day to see if anyone else might be drafting someone. DeMarcus Nelson, top pick in the second round: finish.

Edouble
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
If the draft's over, I'd like to go ahead and thank pfrduke for being such a great (patient) commish and getting the whole thing organized; I'd also like to thank juise for keeping me laughing as the draft draaaaaagggged on. Finally, thanks to everybody else who participated. Good job. I can't wait 'til 2009 and another Tarheel-free lottery.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I like it when there are heels in the lottery, it means they arn't at UNC which makes them more respectable people.

merry
06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
With nothing heard from Merry, let's say Houston picks an Olajuwan: Serge Ibaka for the pick 25.

I guess it doesn't help that earlier today when checking to see when I thought it would be my turn I was looking at the list in the first post. Apparently that stopped getting updates so I thought we were stuck at 18.

MarineTwinsDad
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
At the top of this thread, in the middle bar, is a menu entitled "thread tools." This allows you to choose to subscribe to a thread, and receive an e-mail when someone else posts to the thread. That might have allowed more response, if those chosing were to get automatic notification when someone else had posted. It's also possible, with the User CP (control panel), then Options menu, to chose to have the most recent posting at the top of the page for the thread.

This is not to criticize anyone, but last year (my first attempt at a Mock Draft), there seemed to be more chatter in between picks, which seemed to stir up interest. Perhaps this year other interests seemed to be more important. Even so, I would also like to thank PFR Duke for the effort and administration of the draft. It is fun, and helps to pass the time until Duke gets out on the basketball court again (which is why we're here, right? This being a Duke Basketball forum?).

SilkyJ
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I like it when there are heels in the lottery, it means they arn't at UNC which makes them more respectable people.

TAKE IT BACK

BD80
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistons take Markie if he is still available in the second round. Lindsey Hunter at 37 still has a role on the team as a lock-down defender. He is 6-2 with long arms and is in top shape. If the Pistons can find someone to take that role, Lindsey can become an assistant coach; he and Mike Curry are close friends and are about the same age.

I think Chris Lofton will be a steal for someone, and can't believe I haven't seen his name on draft boards. His bout with cancer led to a down senior season, but if he is around at the end of the second round, I hope the Pistons pick him up (assuming they are moving Chauncey).

I had also forgotten about Deron Washington, who is 6-7 and a good defender. The Pistons require defense before a player gets PT, but they are looking for a shooter at the 3. Jarvis Hayes hasn't gotten it done at that spot.

Sean Singletary would be a great pick up - there is no way he falls to the bottom of the second round, but a guy can hope can't he?

If all four are available when the Pistons pick my order would be Markie, Singletary, Lofton, Washington.

pfrduke
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistons take Markie if he is still available in the second round. Lindsey Hunter at 37 still has a role on the team as a lock-down defender. He is 6-2 with long arms and is in top shape. If the Pistons can find someone to take that role, Lindsey can become an assistant coach; he and Mike Curry are close friends and are about the same age.

I was about to post something to the effect of, "yeah, but Lindsey Hunter can reliably knock down the three." Which, over the course of his career, he did - 36%. But he was a terrible shooter in Detroit - just 28.9% from 3 and just 36.3% overall. I'd like to think DeMarcus could do at least that well from the floor in the NBA.

Edouble
06-27-2008, 03:00 AM
I had also forgotten about Deron Washington, who is 6-7 and a good defender. The Pistons require defense before a player gets PT, but they are looking for a shooter at the 3. Jarvis Hayes hasn't gotten it done at that spot.

Dude... you are the man! D Wash to the Pistons. Damn!

BD80
06-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Dude... you are the man! D Wash to the Pistons. Damn!

Oh yeah?

Then how come I have NO idea who Walter Sharpe (PF, 6-9, 245, UAB) or Trent Plaisted (PF, 6-11, 245, Brigham Young) are?

In reading the scouting reports on them, I was amused that Plaisted's claim to fame is that he had a strong game against Hansblaba.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-27-2008, 01:48 PM
TAKE IT BACK

ok ok,they will never be respectable people

satire knows when sees you it