PDA

View Full Version : George Carlin R.I.P

CameronBornAndBred
06-23-2008, 01:26 AM
George Carlin died tonite (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638), 71 years old.

He was one of the funniest people on the planet, and had some really smart things to offer those who'd listen.

hc5duke
06-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Makes me sad. :( Maybe in memory of Carlin, DBR can allow us to use the seven words for one day? ;)

Lavabe
06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Makes me sad. :( Maybe in memory of Carlin, DBR can allow us to use the seven words for one day? ;)

I am sad too, but part of me is just smiling thinking about all the routines he did, and all the books he wrote.

Jumbo shrimp/military intelligence
Drive on a parkway/park in a driveway
Baseball/football
Braindroppings

Sad cheers, (I wonder what he would say about that;))
Lavabe

P.S. Thanks DBR, for the Thomas photo on the main page!

rthomas
06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
He will be missed. I love his views on religion. One of the best routines ever.

http://www.jibjab.com/view/119849

Carlin on religion. Watch at your own risk.

alteran
06-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I always assumed someone that cranky would live forever. Absolutely hysterical man. The world is smaller already.

OldPhiKap
06-23-2008, 10:13 AM
The real surprise to me is that he was only 71.

I'd love to overhear the conversation between him and Saint Peter at the Pearly Gate . . . .

hurleyfor3
06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
What happened in this country that now, suddenly, everyone is walking around with their own personal bottle of water? When did we get so thirsty in America? Is everybody so dehydrated they have to have their own portable supply of fluids with them at all times? Get a drink before you leave the house!

Believe it or not, that line is about 20 years old. It's even more true today.

BlueDevilBaby
06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Funny, funny man. My first memory of him is when I was around 7 or 7 years old - my step-brother and I stole my dad's record of the 7 dirty words routine and listened to it in the basement. Never got old. RIP, George, and thanks for all the laughs.

micah75
06-23-2008, 12:08 PM
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it.

Lavabe
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Now let's turn to Al Sleet, the hippy dippy weatherman.

"The temperature at the airport is 88 degrees. Which is stupid, cause I don't know anyone who lives there."

"Tonight's forecast, dark."

OldPhiKap
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
"Richard Pryor is my idol He had a heart attack, I had a heart attack. He blew himself up, I said (@#$@) that, I'm having another heart attack."

Turk
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Another classic: "A Place For My Stuff"...

TillyGalore
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
"How are you?", "I'm not unwell"

"Have a nice day.", "What if I've had 365 (I can't remember the actual number he used) nice days in a row and want a bad day?"

captmojo
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
God and Satan are now having a battle over his soul, which is located in a garage, somewhere in Buffalo.

I had to buy three copies of AM/FM back in the day, 'cause I wore them all out.

A comedy king is gone. I'm sad, but he's back with his wife of whom he missed greatly.

I think he'd like to see 4 grins from everyone. :D:D:D:D

2535Miles
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
We caught the news on a very long drive back from Vegas. Stuck in traffic, 10 miles in about 2 hours, the news made the drive that much longer. <sigh>

wilson
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Someone please inform the DBR powers that be that the current front page pic is erroneous. While George Carlin did appear on Shining Time Station, he played the conductor, not Thomas the Tank Engine.

As for why I know this, I couldn't tell you.

dukemomLA
06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
George Carlin and Richard Pryor were my favorites forever. I feel blessed to have seen them both/met them both/seen them both many, many times. My heart aches. Such a loss, dear George, but your insights and comedy and books live on. Let's all salute 7 words, and Braindroppings.

OldPhiKap
06-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Someone please inform the DBR powers that be that the current front page pic is erroneous. While George Carlin did appear on Shining Time Station, he played the conductor, not Thomas the Tank Engine.

As for why I know this, I couldn't tell you.

He also did narrations for some of the early Thomas'. (As did Ringo Starr).

Turk
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
He also did narrations for some of the early Thomas'. (As did Ringo Starr).

Yep. Imagine the surprise of a new dad with his toddler, when he pops a random Thomas tape in the VCR so Mom can take a nap. George Carlin narrates, "Thomas was being a cheeky engine, and Sir Topham Hatt was cross." I fell out of my chair laughing, and good thing I didn't drop the kid on her head....

So then later on, a tape with Ringo Starr comes home. I had to go scour the libraries to find out if anyone else narrated these things... Steve Martin? Mike Myers? Cheech and Chong? Alas, no luck...

Highlander
06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
They should have an interview up with Carlin and Sonny Fox from ~2 years ago that is about an hour and a half long, unedited. I heard a bit of it on the radio this morning. The part I heard talked about how he got into comedy, and how his mother snuck out of a fire escape with 2 month old George under her arm and left her husband. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow, but if you're interested in learning what he was about, I can't think of a better way than listening to him tell his life story.

Search for XM Comedy or "Stand up Sit down" and you should find the podcast. It's a free download and there are no commercials, other than the occasional 30 second XM station ID.

Mal
06-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Yep. Imagine the surprise of a new dad with his toddler, when he pops a random Thomas tape in the VCR so Mom can take a nap. George Carlin narrates, "Thomas was being a cheeky engine, and Sir Topham Hatt was cross." I fell out of my chair laughing, and good thing I didn't drop the kid on her head....

So then later on, a tape with Ringo Starr comes home. I had to go scour the libraries to find out if anyone else narrated these things... Steve Martin? Mike Myers? Cheech and Chong? Alas, no luck...

No Thomas viewer's task is complete without catching Alec Baldwin's performances. He's, not surprisingly, quite good, although his Topham Hatt sounds a bit like he's doing a vaguely British man's impression of Darth Vader.

Back on topic, I heard some snippets of Teri Gross interviewing Carlin on the way home last night. I never really knew much about his background, and his profound interest in language and semantics. That obviously came through in his routines, but I was unaware of how studious he was. Especially for a guy who dropped out of high school after 9th grade.

I always loved his discussion of football, basketball and baseball being the only "sports."

Turk
06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Forgot about Baldwin. Meh. What a drop-off. George, then Ringo, then Alex? Nah. Now there's an idea: since John is no longer with us, they should see what Sir Paul is up to. I heard he took a little hit in the wallet recently, so maybe he could pick up a few extra quid doing some narration. (Yeah, I know it's the wrong George, but work with me a little here...) :D

And I caught a bit of a PBS rebroadcast of a Carlin interview with Charlie Rose. Great stuff, and he covered much the same ground...

hc5duke
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
If you have HBO (which I don't), they'll be airing Carlin routines Wednesday/Thurdsay 8pm-2am (http://www.hbo.com/events/george-carlin/tribute.html?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image)

captmojo
06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the link. I knew it had to happen soon. I'm glad to see it's this soon.

Bluedawg
06-25-2008, 04:18 PM
No one saw language quite the way he did.