PDA

View Full Version : Oddest/Coolest/Neatest Sports Traditions

EarlJam
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
One of them has to be the Seventh Inning Stretch and singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

When did all of this begin? I mean, it's not a rule rule but IS an unwritten "rule."

Is there a ballpark that does not participate? And if so, should all who enter it be taken out and flogged?

-EJ

blazindw
06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
One of them has to be the Seventh Inning Stretch and singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

When did all of this begin? I mean, it's not a rule rule but IS an unwritten "rule."

Is there a ballpark that does not participate? And if so, should all who enter it be taken out and flogged?

-EJ

I think the Yankees still do "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning Stretch.

Among the coolest, I gotta throw out the tossing of the octopus at Detroit Red Wings games. For the oddest (and also cool), the haka performed by the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team before each match.

ugadevil
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
The University of Hawaii football team doing that tribal/rain dance during their warm-up routine is rather bizarre.

Lord Ash
06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Just watch a hockey goalie before a game, and you'll see more strange traditions than you ever knew existed.

ugadevil
06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
During the practice rounds at The Masters, the players have a tradition on No. 16, the Par 3 over the water. Usually one or two players gets up near the water and tries to skip it across and get it on the green. The crowd yells at them to skip it as they're leaving the tee. Maybe they do this everywhere, but I thought it was pretty sweet at Augusta.

I'd just put the Masters in its own category for neatest sports tradition.

throatybeard
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
The NYY and a lot of everyone else have only been doing God Bless America since 9/11.

rockymtn devil
06-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Script Ohio

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPNnIFH6_RU

hc5duke
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
New Zealand All Blacks doing the Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI)
Deep in the Heart of Texas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAw7kThVgc) at Astros games (IIRC 7th inning after TMOTTBG)

Lavabe
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
New Zealand All Blacks doing the Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI)

Neatest Sports Traditions, in no particular order:
1. The New Zealand All-Blacks doing the Haka (my favorite was when Jonah Lomu was playing).
2. Liverpool/Anfield/Kop: Anytime the fans sing "You'll Never Walk Alone."
3. Churchill Downs on Derby Day: "My Old Kentucky Home"
4. Indy: "Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines."
5. The First Tee Shot at the Masters.
6. Opening Day for the St. Louis Cardinals.
7. Opening Ceremonies at most Olympics, quickly followed by...
8. The end of the marathon at any Olympics.
9. The final handshake between teams, followed by the raising of the Stanley Cup.
and of course...
10. The tents of K-ville, followed by the chant of GTHC,GTH (led by Ozzie).

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Neatest Sports Traditions

10. The tents of K-ville, followed by the chant of GTHC,GTH (led by Ozzie).

Cheers,
Lavabe

Shouldn't that be #1? :D

I have been known to visit K'ville to teach them/coach them/lead them in the cheer. In fact, I did it last year!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-22-2008, 10:25 PM

-EJ

Wikipedia lists several origins. The one I've always heard has to do with then President Howard Taft standing to stretch while at a game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-inning_stretch

I think every major league, and probably minor league team encourages the 7th inning stretch. It's a great opportunity to sell more food and drink.

blazindw
06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Script Ohio

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPNnIFH6_RU

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (sorry, I hate Ohio State as much as I do UNC)

Might I add that "tradition" was started by the University of Michigan's band way back when? They ended up adopting it as their own.

Lavabe
06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
1990 World Cup Italy
Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma.:eek:

I was abroad at the time, but his performance of it became the signature tune for the BBC coverage of the Cup that year.

Youtube it.

Wow.

Cheers,
Lavabe

rockymtn devil
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (sorry, I hate Ohio State as much as I do UNC)

Might I add that "tradition" was started by the University of Michigan's band way back when? They ended up adopting it as their own.

That's only kind of true. The Michigan band's version was a set piece. Given that the truly impressive part of Script Ohio is that the band spells it out in the march, what the Michigan band did was a primitive precursor.

blazindw
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
That's only kind of true. The Michigan band's version was a set piece. Given that the truly impressive part of Script Ohio is that the band spells it out in the march, what the Michigan band did was a primitive precursor.

I'm referring to the Dotting of the I, which is actually the tradition that most Buckeye fans view as the most important. That was started by Michigan.

hurleyfor3
06-23-2008, 10:27 AM

-EJ

It's downplayed at White Sox games. In Chicago, making a really big deal out of the seventh inning stretch is considered a Wrigley Field thing.

Bostondevil
06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I was at Fenway yesterday with the entire brood (courtesy of Make-A-Wish) and of course, we sang 'Sweet Caroline' in the middle of the 8th inning. I used to think it was lame, I embrace it now.

Oh, Oh, Oh,
So good, so good, so good.

I'm not sure anybody knows why we do this but it's a Fenway thing.

Number 4 son continued his Red Sox good luck ways (we met Kevin Youkilis before the game), the Sox win in the end when he comes, but his magic makes them work for it. I myself have only witnessed 2 Red Sox losses in 20 years of going to Fenway. (At most I go twice a year, usually just once.)

Turk
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
The seventh-inning stretch is weird. Do they still sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in Baltimore? First time I heard that I remember thinking "Wait a minute... I'm sober enough to know I'm in Baltimore and not WV... WTF?!?" and no one ever could give me a good story as to why. That was pre-google, of course, and it turns out it's all Mark Belanger's fault. (Now I have another reason for not liking him... If he was just a little bit more terrible as a hitter, we would be calling .200 "the Belanger line"...)

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2189

And here's more than you ever wanted to know about the TMOTTBG song:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08175/891968-388.stm

I also think the baseball "rally caps" are cute, where one wears his / her baseball cap inside out / upside down / bill pointed toward the sky, etc, in an attempt to spark a late-inning desperation rally....

In hockey, the throwing of the octopi in Detroit cracks me up, as well as throwing hats on the ice when someone on the home team scores a hat trick... (a good way to get rid of all the rally caps that were ruined in the summer) . The "playoff beards" are also neat - any excuse not to shave is good with me...

But here's the one I hate hate HATE with all my Grinchiness: THE WAVE.

I've hissed at my kids, "I don't care if you get arrested for drugs or drop out of school, but if I ever ever EVER catch you doing the wave, I will dope-slap you so hard your teeth will rattle..."

(Ahem... I may or may not be making that last part up...)

TillyGalore
06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
The seventh-inning stretch is weird. Do they still sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in Baltimore? First time I heard that I remember thinking "Wait a minute... I'm sober enough to know I'm in Baltimore and not WV... WTF?!?" and no one ever could give me a good story as to why. That was pre-google, of course, and it turns out it's all Mark Belanger's fault. (Now I have another reason for not liking him... If he was just a little bit more terrible as a hitter, we would be calling .200 "the Belanger line"...)

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2189

As a somewhat life long O's fan (didn't even know the existed the first 10 or so years) I love that the O's play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" in the 7th inning. It's unique, no one else does it.

But here's the one I hate hate HATE with all my Grinchiness: THE WAVE.

I thought I was alone in this. Was at the Durham Bulls a few weeks ago and my BF tried to get me to participate. The wave is so 1980's and should be left there.

throatybeard
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
1990 World Cup Italy
Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma.:eek:

I was abroad at the time, but his performance of it became the signature tune for the BBC coverage of the Cup that year.

Youtube it.

Wow.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Old hankyhand really outdid himself that year in an Indian summery way. He was about 55 at the time and he sounded better than he had in a good ten years. I wish he'd retired right after the WC, or maybe right after the 1994 one. That would have given him time to still to the joint opening night with Placido in 1993 and the Met I Lombardi with Flanigan in 1994.

Indoor66
06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I thought I was alone in this. Was at the Durham Bulls a few weeks ago and my BF tried to get me to participate. The wave is so 1980's and should be left there.

I agree - leave it in the 80's. That said, it is pretty standard fare at Marlins games.

Bostondevil
06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Anybody remember the noises the crowd used to make when they brought in a relief pitcher at Durham Bulls games?

Ooo-oop pitcher to catcher
OOOOOOO catcher to pitcher

Do they still do that? I haven't been to a Durham Bulls game in years and years. Hey, I wonder if they are home when I'm in Durham this summer.

Bostondevil
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGGA4lYs74

This video made it's debut during a rain delay on the Jumbotron Friday night. They showed it again yesterday (rain delayed the start of the game). It's not the whole thing but it's what was on YouTube and it's enough to get the idea.

TillyGalore
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Anybody remember the noises the crowd used to make when they brought in a relief pitcher at Durham Bulls games?

Do they still do that? I haven't been to a Durham Bulls game in years and years. Hey, I wonder if they are home when I'm in Durham this summer.

I don't recall hearing that at the ball games.

TillyGalore
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGGA4lYs74

This video made it's debut during a rain delay on the Jumbotron Friday night. They showed it again yesterday (rain delayed the start of the game). It's not the whole thing but it's what was on YouTube and it's enough to get the idea.

Hilarious! Lip syncing to Milli Vanilli, or whoever really sang that song.

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
The Braves and losing games on the road seems to be a new tradition that they've adopted.

hc5duke
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
The Braves and losing games on the road seems to be a new tradition that they've adopted.

Even better - watching the NBA draft, wondering which bust the Clippers will pick up with their lottery pick - now there's a tradition!

Rich
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
New Zealand All Blacks doing the Haka

Wow, the Haka video is awesome! I've never seen that before. How unbelievable would it be if Duke Basketball did something similar before all home games. With the crowd joining in, we'd blow the roof off of Cameron. Talk about intimidating!

hurleyfor3
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM

They've been looking for a new tradition to replace the flaming-out-in-October one.

EarlJam
06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Whoa! Good one! I remember that well and thought it was hilarious.....well, dog gone funny anyway!

It would be cool to get a major league stadium full of people to do that!

-EarlJam

Bostondevil
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Whoa! Good one! I remember that well and thought it was hilarious.....well, dog gone funny anyway!

It would be cool to get a major league stadium full of people to do that!

-EarlJam

I have tried, unsuccessfully, but I am teaching the kids.

DevilAlumna
06-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I like the tradition in soccer, where if a player gets injured and the opposing team has the ball, they'll kick it out of bounds. Even better is when the team w/ the injured player gets the ball on the inbounds, they give it right back. It's just a nice exchange of good sportsmanship.

As for baseball, the Mariners Ground Crew has started to do choreographed dances during an earlier inning break, in the midst of dragging the infield. Last time I went, they had 7 guys and gals doing a pretty good rendition of "Thriller."

TampaDuke
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I like the tradition in soccer, where if a player gets injured and the opposing team has the ball, they'll kick it out of bounds. Even better is when the team w/ the injured player gets the ball on the inbounds, they give it right back. It's just a nice exchange of good sportsmanship.

Agreed, good sportsmanship. Only problem is that now teams are beginning to fake injuries as a tactic to stop counterattacks, as has happened on several occasions this year at Euro 2008.

Oh well, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

rockymtn devil
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Agreed, good sportsmanship. Only problem is that now teams are beginning to fake injuries as a tactic to stop counterattacks, as has happened on several occasions this year at Euro 2008.

Oh well, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

I think FIFA (and UEFA) needs to do something about this. If I were running things, anytime a player goes down and either a) compels the referee to stop play or b) requires the medical staff to come out and spray the magic water on them, they should have to leave the game for 10 minutes, therefore leaving their team down a man for that period of time.

If it's indeed a legitimate injury, then the 10 minute break might be helpful and the coach could always choose to sub the player out at anytime (therefore nullifying the 10 minutes playing man down).

There are certain teams that are far worse about this than others (Eastern European teams, Italy, South American teams) and, IMO, the U.S.'s refusal to play that game hurts them in international play.

TampaDuke
06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I think FIFA (and UEFA) needs to do something about this. If I were running things, anytime a player goes down and either a) compels the referee to stop play or b) requires the medical staff to come out and spray the magic water on them, they should have to leave the game for 10 minutes, therefore leaving their team down a man for that period of time.

If it's indeed a legitimate injury, then the 10 minute break might be helpful and the coach could always choose to sub the player out at anytime (therefore nullifying the 10 minutes playing man down).

There are certain teams that are far worse about this than others (Eastern European teams, Italy, South American teams) and, IMO, the U.S.'s refusal to play that game hurts them in international play.

I agree, I think that would be a good proposal. I'd also like to see them apply post-game cards to any acts of embellishment or diving derived from a video review. I think they're talking about implementing some of this, but I haven't seen it yet.

hamster
06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
All the Chicago natives on this board, and there's still no shout out for 'Go Cubs Go'? Well then, consider this to be it.

Also, anyone know who was the first to play the Imperial March?

captmojo
06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
The Oriole's base sweeping girls, and, stopping to sweep the shoes of the third base coach. At times, the only excitement he'd see that night.

I remember seeing Mark Belanger commit four errors in one inning, on an NBC Saturday "Game of the Week". Just another reason.........Davy Johnson could not believe what he was seeing.

"Hail to the Redskins" after every touchdown.

App State's got a good one with the unison chant of "First Down!"

ugadevil
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I love the mascot race that they have at the Milwaukee Brewers games. They still do that right? Or did the player that hit the mascot with a bat bring an end to that tradition?

Lavabe
06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I love the mascot race that they have at the Milwaukee Brewers games. They still do that right? Or did the player that hit the mascot with a bat bring an end to that tradition?

So far, Bratwurst is in the lead this year, but Chorizo is close behind in second.

Spencer's Daddy
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
At the end of the Army-Navy football game, both teams go to the end of the stadium where the rest of the student body is located, and each school's alma mater is sung while everyone is at attention--first the losing team, then the winning team. I've only seen it on TV a few times, but it speaks volumes about those men (and women).

hurleyfor3
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
All the Chicago natives on this board, and there's still no shout out for 'Go Cubs Go'? Well then, consider this to be it.

You call that vacuous pap a "tradition"? I hadn't heard of it before this year. I don't have much invested in either Chicago team, but "Let's Go-Go-Go White Sox" kicks the crap out of "Go Cubs Go".

hamster
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
You call that vacuous pap a "tradition"? I hadn't heard of it before this year. I don't have much invested in either Chicago team, but "Let's Go-Go-Go White Sox" kicks the crap out of "Go Cubs Go".

Ah, but half of the fun of listening to go cubs go is the distress evident on the faces of any White Sox fans present. :)

Where is chidenver, btw? Iowa? Nebraska? Just wondering, becuase if I had to name a location for myself, that would approximately be it, so long as it isn't an average.

Johnboy
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
App State's got a good one with the unison chant of "First Down!"

ECU does this on 1st downs - which I really like:

Announcer: "... and the ball is spotted on the 32 yard line where it's a first down . . ."

Crowd: "PIRATES!!"

Announcer: ". . . Pirates!"

Here is an example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymout h!b1mNNmg&NR=1), but it's much better to be there.

The Oriole's base sweeping girls, and, stopping to sweep the shoes of the third base coach. At times, the only excitement he'd see that night.

Bad: The "O!" during the National Anthem - but at least it makes sense at O's games. It's the WORST at Cameron, where it makes no sense other than to make the Crazies look like a bunch of jackasses from Maryland.

gvtucker
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM

It really isn't much of a tradition at all. It started in '84, when the first modestly successful Cubs team in a long time actually won a few games. It also died that same year, fortunately. Apparently it started again last year, which further justifies my anti-Cub bias.

My favorite line from a Chicago baseball game was at old Comiskey Park about 20 years ago. A guy hit a home run, and some fans in the wrong ballpark started chanting "Throw it back, throw it back." A chant started back, "Throw the Cub fans back, throw the Cub fans back."

Nothing beat the All Blacks doing the Haka.

I think they still play "Cotton Eyed Joe" at the seventh inning stretch of Texas Rangers games.

The Chicago Bulls were the first to play the Alan Parsons' Project song, "Sirius" for the intros during the Jordan years, that was really cool.

blazindw
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
The Chicago Bulls were the first to play the Alan Parsons' Project song, "Sirius" for the intros during the Jordan years, that was really cool.

Detroit Pistons still play Europe's "Final Countdown" during the intros...have been doing it ever since I was born (over 25 years). I still get chills when I hear that song at Pistons games.

EarlJam
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Detroit Pistons still play Europe's "Final Countdown" during the intros...have been doing it ever since I was born (over 25 years). I still get chills when I hear that song at Pistons games.

We're headed for Lansing!
But still we stand strong!
Cause we've got a good team!
Though Sheed's on the bong!

There's so many games to be played;
And fouls to contest;
And Rasheed he does it best;

Da, da, DA, da DAAAA!

It's the Final Meltdown!
Doo dee dee dum;
Doo dee dee dum dee;
Tra la la laaaaaaaaaaa;
Dum dee doh doh doh dee dum;

You get the point.

Man, I bought that album back in the 80s. CARRIE!

I played tennis tonight and won 6-1, 5-7, 6-2.

I'm wired.

Wow. Whew. Powerade and Guinness. Also, I'm out of paper towels.

Any, Europe, they suck, but they rock too.

-EarlJam

calltheobvious
06-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Most traditions we SEC football fans get all misty about are really old. But one of the best has only been around since 2000, when Auburn brought out their golden eagle mascot, "Tiger," and had her circle the interior of the stadium several times before pouncing on a piece of bait at midfield. I was there that first time, a night game against Georgia, and I'd pay a thousand dollars for a wide-angle shot of the faces of the Georgia fans as they watched in complete shock and awe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eyxEIpyP1No

2535Miles
06-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Most traditions we SEC football fans get all misty about are really old. But one of the best has only been around since 2000, when Auburn brought out their golden eagle mascot, "Tiger," and had her circle the interior of the stadium several times before pouncing on a piece of bait at midfield. I was there that first time, a night game against Georgia, and I'd pay a thousand dollars for a wide-angle shot of the faces of the Georgia fans as they watched in complete shock and awe.
O.M.G. WOW. That is just, wow. I mean yes. Wow. Here's another one. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pjTuemF1Rd4) (slightly better quality)

sue71, esq
06-25-2008, 01:49 AM
O-H
I-O

(All with accompanying arm movements to spell out letters ;) )

gvtucker
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM

That IS very cool. I've been to several Auburn football games, but none since 2000, and I wasn't aware that this "tradition" even existed.

devilish
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Gamecock's intrance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qCBVpBjFCY)

Tiger's intrance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWa2aXQb1A&feature=related)

calltheobvious
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
O.M.G. WOW. That is just, wow. I mean yes. Wow. Here's another one. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pjTuemF1Rd4) (slightly better quality)

Many thanks for finding that clip. It is indeed a spectacle to behold, especially at night. I get chills just watching video of it, and being there boggles my limited powers of description.

War Eagle

calltheobvious
06-25-2008, 01:46 PM
That IS very cool. I've been to several Auburn football games, but none since 2000, and I wasn't aware that this "tradition" even existed.

Yup. Newbie but a goodie.

You really need to get back when you can. There have been a lot of fantastic renovations to Jordan-Hare (small sample below). The bad news is that the city of Auburn has lost whatever small college-town charm it had when my brother started there in '96; and it's almost completely unrecognizable to my dad ('68).

http://www.theplainsman.com/files/images/entrance2.jpg