PDA

View Full Version : How And when Did UNC Become a Baseball Power ?

NYC Duke Fan
06-21-2008, 09:36 PM
And If UNC can do it why can't Duke ?

JStuart
06-21-2008, 09:48 PM
And when did they start wearing Duke Blue on their away uniforms?

dkbaseball
06-22-2008, 09:41 AM
When they hired Mike Fox as coach before the '99 season. They had always been pretty good; he took them to the next level. At this point, the program recruits itself. Three of the top half dozen high school pitchers last year committed to Carolina, though I think only one of them ended up going to college. If Alex White is a sophomore, they could have the best 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation in the country next year.

First time I've seen the Duke blue unis. Pretty sure they didn't wear them at Omaha the last two years.

pfrduke
06-22-2008, 12:29 PM
And If UNC can do it why can't Duke ?

Should we start making this question an annual tradition (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388)?

duke2x
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I hope not because it only comes up when they threaten to win a national title. The bandwagon fans are out in full force around town.

sandinmyshoes
06-22-2008, 12:48 PM
My UNC friends are only too happy to inform me that it's not Duke, or royal, blue, but Navy blue that their baseball team sometimes wear. They also tell me that navy blue is one of their traditional colors. This does not stop me from using the term Duke blue just to gall them. :p

RelativeWays
06-22-2008, 04:38 PM
And when did they start wearing Duke Blue on their away uniforms?

When did Duke blue become Navy blue?

Edouble
06-22-2008, 05:19 PM
They also tell me that navy blue is one of their traditional colors.

They also tell me that they won a National Title in basketball in 1924. I agree that navy blue is close enough to royal blue to look funny on a UNC uniform. Imagine if Duke wore baby blue on their baseball uniforms! Could we tell the UNC contingent (UNC folks, a contingent is just a big, fancy word for a group of people) that it isn't powder blue, so it's not a UNC color?

NYC Duke Fan
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Should we start making this question an annual tradition (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388)?

And if we do what is so wrong with that ? I could understand if we were in the midst of the basketball or football season, or in the signing period, but there really is nothing of import going on now save for the announcement of the Olympic team or where Demarcus Nelson will be drafted.

Edouble
06-22-2008, 05:33 PM
And if we do what is so wrong with that ? I could understand if we were in the midst of the basketball or football season, or in the signing period, but there really is nothing of import going on now save for the announcement of the Olympic team or where Demarcus Nelson will be drafted.

We need better pitching.

Can Coach K convince 'Melo to play some D, or will it even matter with Kobe, Howard, and Kidd?

Nelson is better off not getting taken in the second round at all, and trying to sign on with someone late summer.

I'm so bored at this time of year, I am ready to discuss pesto recipes.

NYC Duke Fan
06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
We need better pitching.

Can Coach K convince 'Melo to play some D, or will it even matter with Kobe, Howard, and Kidd?

Nelson is better off not getting taken in the second round at all, and trying to sign on with someone late summer.

I'm so bored at this time of year, I am ready to discuss pesto recipes.

Do you have a good one ?

Edouble
06-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you have a good one ?

Diced pine nuts and fresh basil at a 1:3 ratio with olive oil, salt, pepper, and romano/parmisian to taste. I've been mulling around in my head a good way to make some without a cuisinart or food processor, since I don't have one and I don't want to buy one just to make pesto every few weeks. It's tough to get the pine nuts to a good size just dicing them, but if you use penne, then the chunks can stick inside the pasta, which is nice. Also, nothing wrong with adding some diced, sauteed garlic. You can even use raw garlic, just only use like one clove b/c it's so strong.

dkbaseball
06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
When did Duke blue become Navy blue?

I imagine sometime in the 1920s. I wore navy blue while giving UNC one run in 15 innings. Duke switched from navy to royal blue only about 20 years ago, I think.

msdukie
06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
They also tell me that they won a National Title in basketball in 1924. I agree that navy blue is close enough to royal blue to look funny on a UNC uniform. Imagine if Duke wore baby blue on their baseball uniforms! Could we tell the UNC contingent (UNC folks, a contingent is just a big, fancy word for a group of people) that it isn't powder blue, so it's not a UNC color?

Navy blue was added to their basketball uniforms in the fall of 1991 as part of the Alexander Julian argyle redesign. Since then, it has creeped in as a "trim" color in all of their sports. Rumor is Butch Davis wanted to make their new home football uniforms navy, drawing screams of protest as it was not too far off from Duke Blue (not to be confused with Royal Blue).

We really can't throw stones at them over this, perhaps you have noticed that Duke has taken a certain color (BLACK-ugh) farther than Carolina has taken Navy.

As for Carolina's improvement. I must also point out that there is some guy named Steinbrenner whose offspring made terrible educational decisions. His kind has been dumping a lot of money into the program in recent years. Maybe you have noticed they are building a new baseball stadium?

I'd like to congratulate the Heels on continuing their perfect tradition of 0 NCAA Baseball titles.

-The Real FSU (Fresno State), my new favorite team.

wilson
06-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Diced pine nuts and fresh basil at a 1:3 ratio with olive oil, salt, pepper, and romano/parmisian to taste. I've been mulling around in my head a good way to make some without a cuisinart or food processor, since I don't have one and I don't want to buy one just to make pesto every few weeks. It's tough to get the pine nuts to a good size just dicing them, but if you use penne, then the chunks can stick inside the pasta, which is nice. Also, nothing wrong with adding some diced, sauteed garlic. You can even use raw garlic, just only use like one clove b/c it's so strong.

You should invest in a mini Cuisinart. They do all the dicing/chopping/etc. stuff just as well as the big ones, and they cost about $30:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5528137&type=product&id=1063393351913&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5528137

Edouble
06-23-2008, 12:40 AM
You should invest in a mini Cuisinart. They do all the dicing/chopping/etc. stuff just as well as the big ones, and they cost about $30:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5528137&type=product&id=1063393351913&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5528137

Oh dear, I'll be finding all sorts of good uses for that bad boy. Smoothies, anyone?

pfrduke
06-23-2008, 01:05 AM

Not criticizing. Just found it somewhat humorous, that you posted an almost identical thread last year during the CWS. Clearly it made enough of an impression on me at the time that I remembered it a full year later when you posted this thread.

Not to mention that with dkbaseball's post above, you got a better answer re UNC's success than you did in last year's version.

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
The UNC baseball team seems to be having the same issue as the Duke Lacrosse team. Great teams that just can't get that championship.

JStuart
06-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Now, pesto and light blue would work wonders for their uniforms, but then, I'm no Alexander Julian...

Edouble
06-23-2008, 10:34 AM
The UNC baseball team seems to be having the same issue as the Duke Lacrosse team. Great teams that just can't get that championship.

Duke Women's Hoops?

moonpie23
06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
and another fine choke from our friends down the road......thanks carolina, you keep our spirits happy..... :)

upstateny
06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Did you see the previous two games, against LSU and Fresno? Not exactly the play of a choking team.

ugadevil
06-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Did you see the previous two games, against LSU and Fresno? Not exactly the play of a choking team.

Choke would be what Fresno State did tonight.

moonpie23
06-24-2008, 12:13 AM
anytime unc loses it's a choke.....the tarhole arrogance demands it be labeled as such..

don't shoot the messenger...

moonpie23
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
there's not much better than watching unc choke, but

HOW BOUT DEM DAWGS?????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Edouble
06-26-2008, 01:33 AM
there's not much better than watching unc choke, but

HOW BOUT DEM DAWGS?????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Hunker down!!! Woof woof woff!!!

Uhh, which "dawgs" are we talking about here?

NYC Duke Fan
06-26-2008, 02:10 AM
and another fine choke from our friends down the road......thanks carolina, you keep our spirits happy..... :)

I'm sure that ,"our friends down the road", were gleeful when Hopkins beat us in Lacrosse..They nor Duke did not choke both were beaten by better teams that particular day. By the way, I guess that Georgia also ,"choked " yesterday

NYC Duke Fan
06-26-2008, 02:13 AM
anytime unc loses it's a choke.....the tarhole arrogance demands it be labeled as such..

don't shoot the messenger...

Then I guess that Duke ,"choked ", against H0pkins this year in Lacrosse.

I don't think so

moonpie23
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
no no no.....the term "choke" is a wholly owned and copyrighted trademark of the University Of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...

again, the arrogance demands it....