PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Coach K's Camp

Soon2BDukedad
06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
My 12 yo son and I will be driving in from NJ and visiting Duke the last weekend in June as he is attending Coach K's Camp. It is the last week of camp. He is excited about possibly seeing/meeting some Duke players and coaches. I think Coach K might be on the road with Olympic commitments, but hopefully he might be there for a day or 2. Since my son will be busy learning, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what dear old dad might do to kill some time and where to eat alone while in Durham? Thanks.

weezie
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
As always, I recommend the Que Shack for BBQ.
Take your clubs and get a few rounds in at the WaDuke course, too. See if the Bulls are in town at their sweetheart of a park.

zingit
06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I beg to differ: I've never been a huge fan of the Q-shack. I recommend Bullock's instead, a true Durham specialty. (But try to look up their business hours ahead of time. I was once really disappointed when I went there on a Monday and it turned out they're not open then.) Heck, depending on how much time you have, you could try both and compare!

And I don't know how much you've been around Duke before, but just walking around the campus is pretty nice. The Duke gardens are a nice place to hang out.

If you have a lot of time to spare, I also recommend the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. And the Carolina Theatre usually has interesting indie films playing.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I beg to differ: I've never been a huge fan of the Q-shack. I recommend Bullock's instead, a true Durham specialty. (But try to look up their business hours ahead of time. I was once really disappointed when I went there on a Monday and it turned out they're not open then.) Heck, depending on how much time you have, you could try both and compare!

And I don't know how much you've been around Duke before, but just walking around the campus is pretty nice. The Duke gardens are a nice place to hang out.

If you have a lot of time to spare, I also recommend the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. And the Carolina Theatre usually has interesting indie films playing.

I would second the above suggestions and add the Nasher Museum on campus. A tour of the Duke Chapel is also very interesting. Add the Museum of Natural History and the Museum of History in Raleigh and you'll find a variety of interesting topics. While some may disagree, if there's time, drive through Chapel Hill and some of the Carolina campus. (You can visit the theater where Andy Griffith got started in acting.) A great restaurant with regional foods is Dip's Kitchen. Momma Dip is a successful female entrepreneur from an era when women didn't/ couldn't go into business on their own. Her cookbooks are fabulous and the recipes possible to make on your own!

Inonehand
06-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Hog Heaven on Guess Road...best bbq in Durham. Outside of bbq, check out Pops, Watts Grocery, Fosters.

Go for a walk along the Eno River. Trails everywhere but my favorite is at the end of Cole Mill Road...swinging bridge and everything.

NC Museum of Art is great but don't skip Duke's Nasher Museum. It is beautiful (at least on the inside, the exterior is hideous and out of place on Duke's campus IMO) and has a nice cafe for lunch.

4Gen
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
also check out perkins library and the chapel in the divinity school (right of the main chapel)

taiw93
06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Bullock's is definately a good bet. Nosh is also pretty good if your into more ecclectic food.

jma4life
06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
You should try to get into the pickup games at Cameron at night too. And don't feel afraid to write up reports.

But seriously, it is cool to see the guys play pickup if you can get in. From my own experience, there is not much correlation between the pickup games and the season but it will make the summer go by more quickly for you.

taiw93
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
^whoops...meant to say "you're"...my bad

Edouble
06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
I can't believe noone has said this (especially with it being June and all)...

Go visit the SARAH P. DUKE GARDENS!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D :) :D

zingit
06-21-2008, 12:03 AM
I can't believe noone has said this (especially with it being June and all)...

Go visit the SARAH P. DUKE GARDENS!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D :) :D

Not trying to be snarky, but I did say it (see post#3). Great minds think alike!

devilirium
06-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Bullocks? It is an institution, and I like the pics on the wall...but their BBQ is very mediocre at best--give me A & M or Allen and Son's anytime over that....Q Shack isn't NC BBQ but it's better. I need to check out Hog Heaven.

merry
06-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Bullocks? It is an institution, and I like the pics on the wall...but their BBQ is very mediocre at best--give me A & M or Allen and Son's anytime over that....Q Shack isn't NC BBQ but it's better. I need to check out Hog Heaven.

Bullock's has the absolute best Brunswick Stew, though, IMO. Allen & Son's stew has too many chunks of tomato for my taste. And their fried chicken is really good or so my husband says.

Q Shack isn't meant to be traditional NC BBQ. With that in mind they have some great other stuff. I especially like the smoked turkey, the Q Cobb salad and the fried orka (best in the area - better even than Mama Dip or Bullock's I have to admit) My son likes the sweet potato fries and the fact that they have Cheerwine on tap.

As for the b-ball camp, since it's the last session I think the freshmen should be on campus for the second session of summer school so they definitely should be having pickup games for the 9pm evening program. My son was there last week (the first session) and the only current players who were there were Paulus and Zoubek (both were coaching at the camp). The evening programs were all "lectures" including appearances by Paulus, Jason Williams and JJ Redick all of whom spoke for a few minutes, took some questions and also called in kids from the camp audience for contests and the like. It was very entertaining.

Also the last evening of camp will be watermelon night. A Duke policeman sets up tables around 8pm on the k-ville area lawn where he slices watermelon using a machete. It is certainly a sight to see.

Edouble
06-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Not trying to be snarky, but I did say it (see post#3). Great minds think alike!

Ack! My apologies, sir. I hate when people do a poor job of reading through the posts, and now I find myself guilty of this offense!

Anyhoo, the Gardens are beautiful this time of year.

Sixthman
06-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Allen and Sons? You've got to be kidding!

devildeac
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Allen and Sons? You've got to be kidding!

I wouldn't think Devilirium is kidding. Allen and Son (no sonS as I think none off his children are interested in continuing the family business after the current owner/chef/cook/'cuemaster retires or dies) is regularly considered one of the finer 'cue joints in NC, east and/or west by diners and restaurant/'cue aficionados in the area. He cooks his pigs the old-fashioned way (over wood [hickory?] and in a pit perhaps (according to stories I have read about him for years) for hours every AM. We have not eaten there for a couple years but I remember the portions being generous, but a bit pricey, and the quality (taste, texture, etc) of the meat and sides being excellent. We have not been to the Q Shack in Durham but we like the one in North Hills Mall in Raleigh. We have not discovered Hog Heaven yet but with our frequent trips to Derm, we shall plan on a visit or three over the next few years as we watch our daughter study/work/play(?) her way through Duke.

diablesseblu
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
HH definitely gets my vote. It's on Guess Rd. just south of 40/85 right by the Carolina-Duke Inn.

My nephew (a Heel) ate there today and actually called me to rave about it. Yes, he's from Chapel Hill but he is a connoisseur of fine BBQ (and he loved the sides).

Also, you'll get your money's worth as the portions are huge. They serve the BBQ sandwich with a fork becuase it's so overstuffed.

diablesseblu
06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
If you need a place for lunch on campus, do not miss the Refectory Cafe in the Divinity School. Just enter the school through the doors to the left of the Chapel and there are signs.

WiJoe
06-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Cosmic Cantina

bhd28
06-21-2008, 10:03 PM
HH definitely gets my vote. It's on Guess Rd. just south of 40/85 right by the Carolina-Duke Inn.

My nephew (a Heel) ate there today and actually called me to rave about it. Yes, he's from Chapel Hill but he is a connoisseur of fine BBQ (and he loved the sides).

Also, you'll get your money's worth as the portions are huge. They serve the BBQ sandwich with a fork becuase it's so overstuffed.
I am going to agree with HH. We are leaving Durham soon and we are sad to be leaving it. Great food and good prices. I like the potato salad as a side, and the BBQ is... mmmm.

diablesseblu
06-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Oops! Obviously the Divinity School is to the right of Duke Chapel.

Other good choices in the area:

Love Squids in CH (on 15-501) between Eastgate and University Mall. Their peel and eat shrimp are the best.

Also, there is a terrific Italian place, Bocce, near Southpoint Mall... on Fayetteville Road.

So many good places, so little time!

What kind of food do you like Soon2BDukeDad?

Indoor66
06-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Oops! Obviously the Divinity School is to the right of Duke Chapel.

Doesn't that depend on whether you are walking in or out of the Chapel? :)

diablesseblu
06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Doesn't that depend on whether you are walking in or out of the Chapel? :)

You're mighty spry for a Sunday AM!

:):)

cspan37421
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi, just wanted to chime in. My son - 9 - is in Session 2 as we speak. He hadn't even slept over at a friend's house before, and he seems to be handling residential camp just fine. [Thankfully - though I'm in town for backup should he need to switch to day camp]. I'm proud to say I saw him swish a long jumper (just inside 3 pt) in his first shot in his first game. As for the second one, which he missed, ... next play!

Sorry I don't have a lot to suggest about what to do, as I brought work with me and am in Perkins/Lilly much of the day, though I would second the suggestions thus far. Put pride aside and take a tour, you will learn much more. See if you can find the only place on campus with a rising vaulted ceiling (that was the extra credit Q on my Art History final nearly 21 years ago!).

Given the construction that's gone on since then, the Q may well be out of date.

merry
06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, just wanted to chime in. My son - 9 - is in Session 2 as we speak. He hadn't even slept over at a friend's house before, and he seems to be handling residential camp just fine.

My son started at 9 (he's 13 now so this was his 5th year there) and I was very, very impressed with how they handle the younger kids. On the last day of that first camp session when I was helping my son check out it seemed like every adult we ran into knew his name, some gave him hugs and everyone asked if he had a good time and said they hoped he would come back next year. With the number of kids they have in that camp I have no diea how they do it, but I think they manage to make them all feel really special.

Edouble
06-22-2008, 05:39 PM
My son started at 9 (he's 13 now so this was his 5th year there) and I was very, very impressed with how they handle the younger kids. On the last day of that first camp session when I was helping my son check out it seemed like every adult we ran into knew his name, some gave him hugs and everyone asked if he had a good time and said they hoped he would come back next year. With the number of kids they have in that camp I have no diea how they do it, but I think they manage to make them all feel really special.

Are some of the adults you're talking about guys that are on Duke's staff or assistant coaches? I figure those people get really good at remembering lots of names, as this is essential in recruiting, i.e. remembering a top recruit's little sister's name so you can say hi to everyone in the family when they come for an official visit. Just my $0.02 on how they do it with so many kids at the camp.

The camp sounds like a great experience.

TobaMom
06-23-2008, 12:00 AM
My son attended camp last year at age 9. There were so many current and former players, as well as the whole coaching staff -- enough to boggle the mind. My husband, daughter and I (in from Denver) thought we would do lots of non-campus things and ended up hanging out in Cameron for chunks of every day, watching and enjoying all of the games and lectures. We were amazed at how willing the players all were to have conversations with campers and their families -- they truly were ambassadors for the basketball program.

Enjoy the local food, hike in Duke Forest, play golf if it's your game, and soak up all the good of Cameron Indoor Stadium and Duke Basketball. It is worth the price of camp!

Soon2BDukedad
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Just want to thank all of you for your help and comments. My son is really getting excited about the camp... and after seeing some of these comments, I have no doubt that he will be sky high... and dad now has more than a few places to visit. Since I am born and bred in NJ, I am looking for some North Carolina specialty cookin'... We are getting there the day before so, my son and I will take some of the advice and find us some special places that have been mentioned. For all your help and suggestions...thanks. We'll report back afterwards as to some of the night time sessions. GO DUKE!

CrazyCat
06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Hog Heaven without a doubt. Nosh's is a great place as well.

southgater
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
For something different, try a Loco Pop - Mexican style popsicles that come in an astounding variety of interesting flavor combinations. I don't know exactly where they are located - I've only been there once with my sister, but she always brings them to our family vacations at the beach. I think they're about a mile or 2 from East Campus, on the side away from downtown. In any case, they're worth looking for, especially on a hot summer day.

merry
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM
For something different, try a Loco Pop - Mexican style popsicles that come in an astounding variety of interesting flavor combinations. I don't know exactly where they are located - I've only been there once with my sister, but she always brings them to our family vacations at the beach. I think they're about a mile or 2 from East Campus, on the side away from downtown. In any case, they're worth looking for, especially on a hot summer day.

Good one! The main store is on Hillsborough Rd between 9th Street and Hillandale, across from a big church. There is also one downtown although I am not sure of their hours and newer branches elsewhere in the Triangle. Locopops are fantastic.

They don't have much of a web site but at least it lists addresses and phone
http://www.ilovelocopops.com/

Here's an article about them from a couple of years ago.
http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/445348.html

Soon2BDukedad
06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
My son and I got talking about this years coming team and the talent that Duke has assembled.

It seems that Coach can now do alot of different things to dictate the style of play he may want at any given time. With the talent up and down the bench he can pretty much have full court pressure throughout most games forcing teams to play with less time on the shot clock and causing turnovers for easy baskets. If Duke can stay healthy, it would seem Coach K can have a multitude of viable options to cause match up problems for other teams.

I guess my question is with his involvement with the Olympics and working with Coaches Boeheim and D'Antoni do you think we'll see more of the open floor on offense with Greg and Nolan running the point and more occasional zone as a means to change the pace of a game or do you think he will prefer to stay with using primarily his normal offenses and his man D?

cspan37421
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Coach K was great. The intro talk he gave was fantastic. The final one today was pretty good too. However, after hearing him talking very sternly about drugs and alcohol on day 1, and then 2 days later seeing him sitting proudly next to a certain fellow by the last name of Anthony, well, I'll let you all judge how consistent that message is.

The day is awfully long for these kids, esp. the younger ones. One of the messages they got hammered home, related to nutrition, was hygeine. Shower twice a day, if necessary. Use soap. Get plenty of rest.

Suppose that, after breakfast, you can't return to your dorm until 10pm. (and you're 9 years old). Lights out are at 11p and you're to be up at 7am. Who thinks that's enough rest for a 9 year old running around all day? How do you get two showers when you have no breaks to return to your dorm?

Teams are assigned before evaluation games take place. (strange) Now, the camp states that they may switch kids around teams for competitive balance. We did not see this happen, and it was not because competitive balance was there.

Coach K talked about looking someone in the eye when you talk to them, and when you listen. I did not see this happen with his coach (the former Duke players are not the coaches for this camp - though they do make appearances). I do not know how he became part of the staff, but I was very underwhelmed with what I saw of him (which, granted, was just a small subset of the entire time). He seemed uninterested, checked his cell phone a lot, etc. My son said his coach never even told them his name. He could only guess based on a sticker on the coach's notebook.

Fortunately, my son did learn from other coaches through the various drill stations. He learned a pick & roll, and today one kid much heftier than him hit the floor when he ran into my son's screen. So he did get better as a player. He hit a 3 at the buzzer the other day. And of course he loved being around all the Duke stars, past & present, and seemed to appreciate the lectures & videos ("one shining moment" - he hates that song now). But as someone advised me, he could probably learn as much or more from a good teacher that isn't nationally known, such as a high school coach or a community college coach.

Next year we'll probably stay local. It was great to be back in Durham and I'm glad he got to experience all of it in person. But I think he knows now that teaching is a huge part of the game, and finding a good teacher is job one.

cspan37421
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
I guess my question is with his involvement with the Olympics and working with Coaches Boeheim and D'Antoni do you think we'll see more of the open floor on offense with Greg and Nolan running the point and more occasional zone as a means to change the pace of a game or do you think he will prefer to stay with using primarily his normal offenses and his man D?

I think K is uber-smart and he'll adapt the system to fit the personnel he has vs. the opponent he faces. We should have more avg. size next year but still it seems we'll be a jump shooting team. We need to crash the boards big time. I would like to see us run more; I think we should have the guys to do it, too.

In addition to the zone ("orange") I would like to see us work on the backdoor cut. We've been vulnerable to that in years past and perhaps learning it will help us defend it better. And what's wrong with one more arrow in one's quiver?

Bluedawg
06-25-2008, 03:16 PM

I agree...Bullock's over Q-shack.

Soon2BDukedad
07-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Just want to post and thank you all for the ideas. Had great time at Duke and the surounding/suggested areas.
A couple of points... Coach K did not appear until Monday as he had Olympic obligations. Gave great talk to the kids and parents in attendance. There were never any pickup games at night thought most of the players were on campus. Great bunch of players, especially Brian Z who went out of his way to welcome each camper and family member with smile and BIG handshake. Says he is feeling fine and is now 100% for the season. Gerald Henderson told us wrist was coming along well though he was unable to play for another 3 weeks but should then be able to play at full capacity. Saw all players but Jon Scheyer during stay at camp. That was the only really "news"... Well run camp and as you all know...Duke is very special place.

Cameron
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
There were never any pickup games at night thought most of the players were on campus.

I, too, have found the annual summer camp pickup games to be one of the great highlights of the Duke Basketball Camp. And, as I am sure you were, I was greatly disappointed to find that those games were no longer to be played before the campers starting this summer.

From what I understand after having discussed it with some of the Duke staff, the annual pickup games were threading along the lines of possible NCAA violations or against the rules in some way or another with new NCAA guidelines, and thus had to be stopped.

I was, however, able to watch many of the incoming freshman play alongside JJ Redick, Jason Williams, Kyle Singler and Co. in the new K Center during my off time while working the camp.. So, don't feel too sorry for me:) And, yes, Miles Plumlee is the REAL DEAL! His supreme athletic ability and gift for finishing at his size is remarkable. He's going to be a stud.

lazee
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I was, however, able to watch many of the incoming freshman play alongside JJ Redick, Jason Williams, Kyle Singler and Co. in the new K Center during my off time while working the camp.. So, don't feel too sorry for me:) And, yes, Miles Plumlee is the REAL DEAL! His supreme athletic ability and gift for finishing at his size is remarkable. He's going to be a stud.

How did the freshmen do against the former players and vice versa?

Davidson09
07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
To whom would you compare Miles' game? He's a forward, right? Is he tall and skinny, or muscular i.e. can he defend the post down low?

Cameron
07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
It's hard to say, really, as to whom I would compare Miles' game to, especially considering that Miles' max potential is nowhere near being reached yet. He is still very much growing into his game.

Yes, he's a forward, standing about 6'10." At about 215, however, that doesn't make Miles a very thick or sturdy big man. He's not too slim, but he's not big either, and has a long way to go in the strength department. That doesn't make him any less powerful on the offensive end, though. When he catches the ball inside ten feet and faces up (which is just about the only way he attacks the glass; he's not a back to the basket post), Miles is incredibly versatile and can finish great athletically. He has a nice ten footer, but his real strength lies in facing up and getting to the bucket. A very good put back type player, with great hands--a nice improvement from some of our other big men. He had some great put back dunks when I saw him play.

Defensively, he has some work to do. With his wingspan and height, he'll definitely be a nice plus for us, but he's more of a jumping shot blocker than a tough-minded defensive block right now. He held his own when facing up with Lance, but he will definitely need to put on some muscle. I could see him turning into a great defensive player one day, though, especially considering he's likely a four year guy.

As for the current Blue Devils versus the incoming and former Blue Devils, I was thoroughly impressed. The most impressive sight I saw: watching Elliot Williams clearly edge Gerald in a dunk-off after one of the scrimmages. Now I would never have guessed that Gerald wouldn't have held the most explosive hops title this coming season, but I may have been wrong. Elliot closed the books on the contest with a 360 windmill, a smooth as silk slam in which he effortlessly brought the ball down near his knees before guiding it through the orange cylinder. That dunk literally cleared the exits in cheers. (Gerald's also coming off surgery, so take it for what it's worth. Elliot is still a monster, however.)

When I have more time away from my work, I will try and layout what I saw a little more clearly.

Indoor66
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
It's hard to say, really, as to whom I would compare Miles' game to, especially considering that Miles' max potential is nowhere near being reached yet. He is still very much growing into his game.

Yes, he's a forward, standing about 6'10." At about 215, however, that doesn't make Miles a very thick or sturdy big man. He's not too slim, but he's not big either, and has a long way to go in the strength department. That doesn't make him any less powerful on the offensive end, though. When he catches the ball inside ten feet and faces up (which is just about the only way he attacks the glass; he's not a back to the basket post), Miles is incredibly versatile and can finish great athletically. He has a nice ten footer, but his real strength lies in facing up and getting to the bucket. A very good put back type player, with great hands--a nice improvement from some of our other big men. He had some great put back dunks when I saw him play.

Defensively, he has some work to do. With his wingspan and height, he'll definitely be a nice plus for us, but he's more of a jumping shot blocker than a tough-minded defensive block right now. He held his own when facing up with Lance, but he will definitely need to put on some muscle. I could see him turning into a great defensive player one day, though, especially considering he's likely a four year guy.

As for the current Blue Devils versus the incoming and former Blue Devils, I was thoroughly impressed. The most impressive sight I saw: watching Elliot Williams clearly edge Gerald in a dunk-off after one of the scrimmages. Now I would never have guessed that Gerald wouldn't have held the most explosive hops title this coming season, but I may have been wrong. Elliot closed the books on the contest with a 360 windmill, a smooth as silk slam in which he effortlessly brought the ball down near his knees before guiding it through the orange cylinder. That dunk literally cleared the exits in cheers. (Gerald's also coming off surgery, so take it for what it's worth. Elliot is still a monster, however.)

When I have more time away from my work, I will try and layout what I saw a little more clearly.

Did he make any (a) layups, (b) mid-range jump shots, (c) three pointers or (d) free throws?

Cameron
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Haha, yes, he did make more than just a couple of put back jams:)

I obviously don't remember every detail, but Miles hit a few nice 8 to 10 footers during the couple of games I saw him play in, as well as some contested layups while facing up and drving to the goal. He has a nice mid-range feel to his game, one that, with some polished work in the hands of the Duke staff, could become lethal with his quick athleticism.

I did not, however, see any three-pointers made or attempted from Plumlee during the time I was watching him. His outside shot (three-point shot, rather) isn't quite there yet. That is definitely one aspect of his game that could greatly be worked on in order for Plumlee to become a dominant ACC forward, especially at his size. Like I said, Miles is not an Elton Brand type player. He's not going to be physical and dominate you low in the post. He's going to face you up, from what I have seen. And as that type of player, I would assume that a true outside shot, one that is both productive and reliable, will become a necessity in order to play against ACC forwards of the same mold.