PDA

View Full Version : I like applesauce.

sue71, esq
06-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Natural, unsweetened. I even make it from scratch sometimes. Mmmm, good. Actually good to fill a sweet craving (whodathunk?).

Just thought I'd share.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I like it too. Grew up eating Mott's, but most of them are good.

First time I went to Bullock's as a freshman, I had hush puppies for the first time. I always thought they needed "something". I tried butter, I salted them, I tried ketchup. But when I dipped them into the applesauce I'd gotten as a side dish, I knew I had found the perfect condiment for puppies! I got lots of strange looks when I dipped 'em, but don't knock it until you try it.

2535Miles
06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Mmmmmm. I love applesauce. One of my favorite comfort meals: pork chops, apple sauce, and green beans. Oh, and Guinness.

sue71, esq
06-20-2008, 01:50 AM
I prefer to have applesauce with my latkes*, as opposed to sour cream (blech, but that's probably another thread).

*Latkes = Jewish potato pancakes often eaten at Hanukkah, however I find them to be tasty year round.

dukemomLA
06-20-2008, 02:13 AM
No one should ever eat pork chops, stuffed chops, pork loin, pork roast, etc. without applesauce. That would be a sin.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful unsweetened applesauce. YUM. Actually had applesauce tonight with my homemade BBQ spareribs. (...uh, I didn't make the ribs, just the sauce)

2535Miles
06-20-2008, 03:11 AM
No one should ever eat pork chops, stuffed chops, pork loin, pork roast, etc. without applesauce. That would be a sin.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful unsweetened applesauce. YUM. Actually had applesauce tonight with my homemade BBQ spareribs. (...uh, I didn't make the ribs, just the sauce)
Unsweetened is the way to go. Shake a little cinnamon and a dash o' salt on top and you're in heaven. Pork chops are on the menu for this weekend!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I prefer to have applesauce with my latkes*

Absolutely on latkes! And pork chops too (as long as you're not keeping kosher :) )

TillyGalore
06-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Then call me a sinner because I never eat applesauce with my pork chops. My pork chops are so good they don't need applesauce. :D

ohioguy2
06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
My wife and I make and then freeze our own. Much better than any store bought variety.:D

Indoor66
06-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Apple sauce is an elixir for all food! I eat it with burgers, steak, pork and alone. I also like apple butter bread with pork loin! That is a slice of heaven in a meal.

aimo
06-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I make homemade applesauce/butter in the fall. I use a combo of Granny Smiths (for tartness) and Galas. After running the cooked apples through the food mill, I add JUST enough brown sugar to take the edge off and gradually add cinnamon and fresh ground cloves to taste.

I don't eat applesauce with pork. I save my homemade pepper jelly for that.

blublood
06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey, so can y'all ship some to me at home?? :) I've always hated applesauce, but would be glad to be proved wrong.

Never heard of its association with pork... hmmmm...

sue71, esq
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I make mine with a mix of apples, usually whatever looks good or whatever I've picked (if I've been apple picking), with a few granny smith's thrown in. I don't use sugar, but use apple cider instead. I put about an half inch - inch of apple cider in the bottom of a large stock pot. Cut up apples into large chunks (quarters? depends on the size of the apple). Cover & steam/cook for a while until apples are soft. Take out apples and run through food mill (eliminates skin & core here... note that leaving skin on until this point has provided a pink tint to my applesauce in the past, so don't be alarmed). You can adjust the food mill for the smoothness/chunkiness you like. Add cider from pot as needed to thin out/add sweetness.

I like mine cold, so I let it cool in the fridge. Voila! Yummy!