PDA

View Full Version : Question about RSS feeds/Google Reader

BCGroup
06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I did a search of this forum before posting, and couldn't find a thread on this--I'm a beginner with the whole notion of RSS feeds and Google Reader. I wanted to try to find maybe 5-10 sites on a new topic I'm researching and subscribe to the feeds through Google Reader. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but just using the search isn't getting me what I want. Any tips for a beginner trying to find a set of sites on a new topic of interest?

DevilAlumna
06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi BCG, are you finding web sites that are on the subject, but not an RSS feed for those sites?

If that's the case, what browser are you using? If you're using IE7, it has an RSS feed detector - some sites are RSS publishers (like DBR!) but don't advertise that fact - and the feed detector lets you know what's available. If the RSS Icon "lights up" (turns from Grey to Orange,) just click on it, choose the feed you want, and the data is rendered in IE.

You can probably then cut and paste the URL into Google Reader to subscribe. (Don't know, I just read my RSS via IE.)

BCGroup
06-20-2008, 06:37 AM
I use Mozilla, so I'll try to figure out how to do that. With google reader, it was only searching for feeds, but I wasn't finding the topics I wanted--usually I have good success with my search terms on google, but not on this, so I wondered if there was a trick I was missing! Thanks.