PDA

View Full Version : Luol Deng wins award

BCGroup
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
"Former Duke basketball player Luol Deng was named the recipient of the 2008 UN Refugee Agency’s Humanitarian of the Year Award. He'll receive the award Friday in Washington. "

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/deng-wins-humanitarian-award

Congratulations!!!!!

Lord Ash
06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Awesome. Awards like this, and the Humanitarian and Sportsmanship awards, are the ones that really matter to me in the NBA. I couldn't care less if a Duke player wins in the NBA, to be frank.

dukemomLA
06-20-2008, 02:05 AM
When Duke players win such awards -- Sportsman of the Year, Community Service, etc. It makes me more proud than a championship ring or an MVP.

Duke has always shined as excellence of the whole person, not just the athlete. KUDOS to L. Deng, a special person (and...athlete) -- damn, wish he had stayed another year, although I understand and support his decision.

Also kudos to Shane and Elton for their achievements both on and.... more importantly to me, OFF the court. So...Chris Duhon, if you're reading this, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!! Please make me...and your Mama, proud.

quickgtp
06-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Congrats to Luol. Imagine if he had come back for one more year. That 2004 Final Four team was a great team and I honestly feel for once that we got shafted by the refs against UCONN.....

Edouble
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow, not only am I impressed that he won the award, but to do so at such a young age is pretty impressive--not that young people are not capable of great things, but it is noteworthy to accomplish so much in just a little time. I know Luol has more great things ahead of him, though.