PDA

View Full Version : Four months!

mgtr
06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Just about four more months to the first official workouts. Of course, there will be unofficial workouts before that, with the "old guard" showing the new guys the Duke way.
But, soon after those first official workouts are finished, four months from now, those of us in "the great unwashed" will see what kind of team we have: Has Zoubek turned into Superman? Has Thomas bulked up into the incredible hulk? Can Henderson touch the roof of CIS? Are the new guys even half as good as promised? Can Czyz really stuff Paulus in the net? Can Paulus dribble in such a way as to tie Eliot Williams into a pretzel? Or vice versa? Can Singler possibly improve from last year? Can McClure develop a little shot? What will Scheyer do this year -- a lot, I hope.
Overall, I see a lot of hope -- notwithstanding the returning Carolina bunch, who has there own prioblems.
Go Devils!!!!

Bob Green
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I would break the team into three tiers as follows:

Tier 1: Henderson, Singler, Scheyer, Paulus & Smith. These are our proven players, the nucleus, core, go-to-guys, whichever label one prefers. I have an extreme level of confidence that these players will get the job done.

Tier 2: Thomas, Zoubek, McClure, & Pocius. These are our experienced players who still have something to prove. All four have been slowed by injuries and illness. We need these players to stay healthy and step up their game. I've made it clear in a different thread that my money is on Zoubek.

Tier 3: Williams, Plumlee, & Czyz. The unknown. Which, if any, of the freshmen will challenge for playing time? Singler was a 28.6 mpg/13.3 ppg player last season, Scheyer played 33.7 mpg/scored 12.2 ppg the season before, and Paulus played 32.3 mpg/scored 6.7 ppg as a freshman in 05/06. Will one of this year's freshmen emerge as a starter?

For Duke to achieve and maintain legitimate Top 10 status, three players from Tier 2 and/or Tier 3 are going to have to be consistently productive. Three players will emerge and become part of the eight man rotation. Two more will see spot minutes in specific roles. A 12 player rotation isn't going to happen and a 10 man rotation is extremely difficult to manage. Two players will see little to no playing time.

CDu
06-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Has Zoubek even been cleared for serious activity yet after his foot surgery? He was expected to be out for nearly three months as of April 9. I suspect his summer hasn't even really begun yet - at least not the part of the summer in which he can work on the things he really needs to work on.

Bob Green
06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Zoubek's surgery was on 4/08/08 and he was projected to miss 10-12 weeks of action. He should be ready to go by July 1st:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1435729

That gives him four months to work on his game and get into game shape.

CDu
06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Zoubek's surgery was on 4/08/08 and he was projected to miss 10-12 weeks of action. He should be ready to go by July 1st:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1435729

That gives him four months to work on his game and get into game shape.

And yet he'll have missed half the summer, which is when players have the best chance to develop their game. Given that he's playing catchup to begin with, losing those 1.5 months of summer is going to hurt.

Also, that article is now more than two months old. Could he be ready yet (it's been 10 weeks)? I was hoping for newer information than the April article (no offense).

Bob Green
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
And yet he'll have missed half the summer, which is when players have the best chance to develop their game. Given that he's playing catchup to begin with, losing those 1.5 months of summer is going to hurt.

There is no doubt that being out for 12 weeks is not an optimal situation. However, all he can do is put it behind him and focus on preparing for November. Hopefully, the foot is fixed and he will be pain free. Zoubek should be commended for playing in pain last season. I'm optimistic but I realize Zoubek has a bit of an uphill battle in front of him.

CDu
06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
There is no doubt that being out for 12 weeks is not an optimal situation. However, all he can do is put it behind him and focus on preparing for November. Hopefully, the foot is fixed and he will be pain free. Zoubek should be commended for playing in pain last season. I'm optimistic but I realize Zoubek has a bit of an uphill battle in front of him.

Completely agree. Speaking of that article, it's been about 10 weeks since Zoubek's surgery. Has anyone heard anything recently about him? Is he recovered? Is it taking longer than expected? Have there been any setbacks?

DevilDan
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Bob Green gets it right in his "3 Tiers". I have been leaving Nolan Smith out of my thoughts too long; he had a good first season, and does belong in BG's top level. I hope Tier 2 can give us solid minutes, but it's Tier 3 that needs to come through.

If Brian's surgery/rehab works, and he's ready to go in October, he can do much in practice, pounding on Plumlee and Czyz to get them ready for play at this level. Reports are that Plumlee will have to find a comfort level working closer to the basket; Czyz looks to be a horse and a fearless "gamer" type, who might contribute some dynamic minutes. If he plays his guts out, and gives his teammates a lift when he's on the floor, he'll have some early value to this team.

Lots of " IF's " ... but that's what makes this offseason more fun . . .