PDA

View Full Version : Coach K will let Duke pick his successor

Bluedawg
06-18-2008, 08:15 AM
"I hope that I have some input into it," Krzyzewski said. "That's a decision a university makes, and a university should only make it. No one should be able to name their own successor. Maybe if you own your company or whatever ... but I should not have the right. It's not even the right. It's not a position I should be in, though I should give a lot of input."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1111946.html

I hope he has input also.

Inonehand
06-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Certainly he should have some input but it would be a ridiculous decision to allow him to pick the next coach anyway. I think the obvious was simply stated. I also found his comment about the next coach should have played or coached at Duke a little odd. As a Duke grad, I like it in theory. However, I do not believe that is a necessity. K had zero Duke ties when he came here and I believe the results speak for themselves.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Certainly he should have some input but it would be a ridiculous decision to allow him to pick the next coach anyway. I think the obvious was simply stated. I also found his comment about the next coach should have played or coached at Duke a little odd. As a Duke grad, I like it in theory. However, I do not believe that is a necessity. K had zero Duke ties when he came here and I believe the results speak for themselves.

If you were buying a young horse, would you rather buy an offspring of Big Red or Big Brown?

OK, that's apples and oranges, but in this case, when the time comes (in 10 years or so, hopefully), we'll have enough guys with head coaching experience (and hopefully success) to choose from, if they want the job.

I usually don't participate in these speculation threads because, since I wasn't hired as AD, I don't have any input and there is no point.

Inonehand
06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
If you were buying a young horse, would you rather buy an offspring of Big Red or Big Brown?

OK, that's apples and oranges, but in this case, when the time comes (in 10 years or so, hopefully), we'll have enough guys with head coaching experience (and hopefully success) to choose from, if they want the job.

I usually don't participate in these speculation threads because, since I wasn't hired as AD, I don't have any input and there is no point.

The fact you were not hired as AD simply adds to my point. Duke degree, magnificent mind, wonderful wordsmith...still, there was someone better for the job with no Blue Devil link.

hurleyfor3
06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice slap at Dean there, Coach.

Inonehand
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Nice slap at Dean there, Coach.

How so?

Stray Gator
06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
How so?

I can only guess the "slap at Dean" was this comment from Coach K in the article:

Krzyzewski said he admired the way longtime North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith handled his own retirement in 1997, suggesting that a coach knows when the passion to compete has slowed.

"He's never said this, but I have to think that it had to be part of when he finally retired. ...," Krzyzewski said. "There's no one who has been more competitive in this league than Dean. I always admired his commitment to competitiveness. Somewhere along the line, I would think that has to lessen a little. And only that person who has been that competitive all along will know [when it happens]."

Somehow, rival fans will find a way to discern from K's comments an unarticulated disparagement of others even in what appears to be intended as a compliment.

Inonehand
06-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I can only guess the "slap at Dean" was this comment from Coach K in the article:

Krzyzewski said he admired the way longtime North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith handled his own retirement in 1997, suggesting that a coach knows when the passion to compete has slowed.

"He's never said this, but I have to think that it had to be part of when he finally retired. ...," Krzyzewski said. "There's no one who has been more competitive in this league than Dean. I always admired his commitment to competitiveness. Somewhere along the line, I would think that has to lessen a little. And only that person who has been that competitive all along will know [when it happens]."

Somehow, rival fans will find a way to discern from K's comments an unarticulated disparagement of others even in what appears to be intended as a compliment.

It WAS a compliment. In fact a strong one.

mgtr
06-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Once again, we see how smart a coach we have. We are very, very fortunate. Those who question his decisions should be drawn and quartered (though, realistically, Coach K would disagree).

BlueDevilJay
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM
From what I read in this article, it looks like the new AD will have the final decision on K's replacement when the time comes. I thought this was a GREAT article on White, and lets you know a little more about what he left at ND.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3422039&sportCat=ncf

dukeimac
06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
How about this for a twist and a possibility.

Maybe he doesn't want to make the decision because he has so many assistants who have gone on or will have gone on to be successful in the coaching ranks that he won't want to be the one to decide who gets the job.

Lets see, who do I pick, Dawkins, Brey, on and on.

As long as I live I only want to see Coach K run Duke basketball. I think I've got at least another 40 years.

The Gordog
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I think it's interesting that Johnny left right after Aleva (sp?). Could it be that as long as Aleva was the AD Johnny felt he was the sure successor, but with the new guy in place K will have less influence on the selection process when the time comes? Pure speculation on my part, but what do y'all think about that?

JG Nothing
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I would be shocked if K did not hand-pick his successor for all practical purposes. His comments in the article are exactly what tact and public relations require.

Inonehand
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I think it's interesting that Johnny left right after Aleva (sp?). Could it be that as long as Aleva was the AD Johnny felt he was the sure successor, but with the new guy in place K will have less influence on the selection process when the time comes? Pure speculation on my part, but what do y'all think about that?

No proof behind my feeling either. Johnny's departure has nothing to do with Joe's.

CameronCrazy'11
06-20-2008, 11:38 AM
No proof behind my feeling either. Johnny's departure has nothing to do with Joe's.

Simply put, each had good reason to leave: a better job elsewhere. Dawkins knows he is still in contention as K's replacement. As many have argued, getting head coaching experience strengthens his resume for the job. However, he does pretty much take himself out of contention if Stanford doesn't succeed under him. Here's hoping the best for him and the future of Stanford and Duke's programs.

Indoor66
06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Simply put, each had good reason to leave: a better job elsewhere. Dawkins knows he is still in contention as K's replacement. As many have argued, getting head coaching experience strengthens his resume for the job. However, he does pretty much take himself out of contention if Stanford doesn't succeed under him. Here's hoping the best for him and the future of Stanford and Duke's programs.

Frankly, if he doesn't succeed at Stanford, he shouldn't be in consideration for the Duke position, when it is open!

Bluedawg
06-23-2008, 11:24 PM

I think limiting it to people who have have played or coached at Duke limits the field too much. I've never liked "keeping it in the family," i think the best possible person should get the job.

Bluedawg
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM

I just have to think that JD knew that whoever follows K will have to have head coach experience. No one is going to risk Duke on a brand new head coach

Bluedawg
06-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Frankly, if he doesn't succeed at Stanford, he shouldn't be in consideration for the Duke position, when it is open!

As much as i like JD I have to agree. In order to be considered he must first succeed.

Franzez
06-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't see JD even returning to Duke if the job is offered,I think its more of him trying to create his own niche at Stanford rather than returning to Duke because you guys know we'll constantly compare him to Coach K and even if JD won a Championship he'd never be able to remove himself from Coach K's shadow.

We're talking about replacing the 3rd greatest college basketball coach of All Time.

I'd much rather bring in a coach who's from outside the Duke family.