PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Done a Factual Analysis of our..

3rd Dukie
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
ACC schedule this past season? They may have and I missed it.
I seem to recall some chatter during the season to the effect that our conference schedule was tougher than other folks'. Just curious about that and whether next year's conference matchups have been released.
Thanks.

throatybeard
03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes, ESPN had a graphic, and ours in-conference SOS was #1. The opponent winning %ages in conference was well over .500. I forget the details.

hurleyfor3
03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
That really helped us in the postseason, didn't it.

throatybeard
03-22-2007, 12:18 AM
That really helped us in the postseason, didn't it.

Yeah, sort of doesn't support the "SOS prepares you for the postseason" argument.

Arguably, it hurt us. Say with a more balanced schedule, we go 10-6 instead. Then we go into the ACCT 24-7 and at a higher seed. And we end up playing like a 13 seed instead of an 11 in the NCAAT.

Of course, if we can't beat an 11-seed...why am I talking about this?

pfrduke
03-22-2007, 01:47 AM
On a statistical basis, we faced the toughest schedule overall, the toughest in terms of opposing offenses, and the fourth toughest in terms of opposing defenses (note, this is not weighted for home/away).

ACC Schedule Strength (http://dbdhoops.blogspot.com/2007/03/sos-and-tourney-preview.html)

VaDukie
03-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Plus you could argue that at a certain point a harder schedule stops making you stronger and your team starts to get beat up; if a couple of our tough losses were easy wins against weaker teams our confidence goes up and as mentioned we get a higher seed.

Uncle Drew
03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
In a strong sense Duke always plays the toughest schedule in the country due to the fact everyone plays their hardest when they see a Duke jersey in fron of them. If we played Elon they'd play like the Lakers for at least that one night. The ACC non-round robin schedule clearly hurt us when comparing who Duke played and where. But I don't see the ACC giving us two games against the cellar dwellers just because the television contracts want the highest ratings possible.