PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on 2008-2009 recruits

altitech
06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
This was posted on 6/17/2008:

http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/krzyzewski-discusses-williams-czyz-and-plumlee/

CameronCrazy'11
06-18-2008, 02:35 AM
If Coach K's optimistic about Duke then so am I. I don't think he would say he thought we had the best team in 4 years unless he really meant it, and he's in a position to know.

mgtr
06-18-2008, 02:46 AM
I think a number of posters have made the point that when returning a core of Paulus, Singler, Scheyer and Henderson, plus the returning vets, plus the three new guys, it is easy to see a better team than we have had for some time.

CameronCrazy'11
06-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Will this finally be the season that puts an end to all the "death of a dynasty" talk at ESPN?

phaedrus
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Will this finally be the season that puts an end to all the "death of a dynasty" talk at ESPN?

Not unless we make the Final Four. And no matter how good this team turns out to be, that's not assured.

DevilDan
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
It's good to see Coach K's comments on our three new guys. If we move forward, I think we're going to NEED them.

Williams ... Coach thinks he's the most ready to contribute ... bodes well for the full court game.

Czyz ... He may be raw, but I look at the athletic and toughness parts. He's somewhere between 6'6" - 6'8", so I hope his dynamic play will help us build more strength in the frontcourt.

Plumlee ... If he runs the court well, that could mean some easy baskets in our up-tempo game. Maybe Brian and Miles can challenge and "beat on" each other in practice. The tougher they come out, the better for us.

I hope Lance can get stronger and more consistent at the rim, on both ends. If the above four frontcourt players can give us 15 & 10 (even by committee) this DUKE team will be much harder to defend.

Edouble
06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I hope Lance can get stronger and more consistent at the rim, on both ends. If the above four frontcourt players can give us 15 & 10 (even by committee) this DUKE team will be much harder to defend.

True, but I'd rather see them get us 10 and 20. We gotta get some guys that want to defend and rebound. The perimeter can easily get us points.

jv001
06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I like what Coach K had to say about the upcoming season and how good he thought we could be. Staying heathy is the key for us. If we stay heathy we can compete with anyone including unc. I think that Brian, Nolan, Henderson and Singler will be improved. The three freshman should help our depth, defense and rebounding. As I said let's pray we stay healthy.

heath_harshman4
06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
If Coach K's optimistic about Duke then so am I. I don't think he would say he thought we had the best team in 4 years unless he really meant it, and he's in a position to know.

K usually doesn't BS with how good or bad he thinks his team is. I remember JJ's junior year we got the #1 ranking pretty early and he said he was proud, but that we were not the #1 team in the nation. And we proved him right in the sweet 16 with MSU. I believe if he believes...

wilko
06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
It's good to see Coach K's comments on our three new guys.

Czyz ... He may be raw, but I look at the athletic and toughness parts. He's somewhere between 6'6" - 6'8", so I hope his dynamic play will help us build more strength in the frontcourt.

Plumlee ... If he runs the court well, that could mean some easy baskets in our up-tempo game. Maybe Brian and Miles can challenge and "beat on" each other in practice. The tougher they come out, the better for us.

As per the Item from Jim S on the homepage...

"Krzyzewski briefly discussed his incoming freshmen. He says that Czyz is “still learning the game. He‘s a tremendous athlete who reminds me a lot of Danny Meagher.”

Plumlee is “6’11”, 230. He can run, he can be a really good player.” Williams is “versatile, mature, and can defend. He will be a very good player.” The quality of Williams’ high school should make his transition to Duke easier."

Meagher is one of my All-Time Faves. So that welcome news to my ears.
Wouldnt mind see a little Brickey mixed in there too for good measure.

I hope Miles turn out to be a 7ft Jon.

Not meaning to ignore Williams... just we need Bigmen more right now.

mgtr
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I think it all comes down to "if Zoubek and Thomas can contribute" anything at all -- then we will be OK. There is a lot of unrealized potential in those two guys, and injuries and lack of conditioning and desire (my opinion) has limited their effectiveness. If this is their year, then the two new big guys are just luxuries. I would love to see it.
We worked hard to get Thomas -- there has to be something there. If he wants to play in the league, he needs to do some demonstrably useful stuff. Zoubek has the size plus the ability to run the floor. If he stays healty, surely we can make something of this.
The new guys -- Czyz and Plumlee are all potential -- we are waiting to be pleasantly surprised. Williams, well we all expect great things from him.
Overall, with a base of four great players returning, I think we are in very great shape for this year.

devildeac
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
["Krzyzewski briefly discussed his incoming freshmen. He says that Czyz is “still learning the game. He‘s a tremendous athlete who reminds me a lot of Danny Meagher.”

Meagher is one of my All-Time Faves. So that welcome news to my ears.
Wouldnt mind see a little Brickey mixed in there too for good measure.

Are those good reminders:o? I wonder how well he spits...:D

miramar
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
During Coach K's press conference, he said that, "There was erosion there," referring to Kyle Singler and the fact that Zoubek's absence caused him to wear down by the end of the season.

Nevertheless, it's pretty amazing to consider that a freshman forward was usually on the floor with four guards (Paulus, Nelson, Henderson, and Scheyer). That would have been a tall order even for a veteran, much less a guy right out of high school. Fortunately, Zoubek and Thomas will be joined by Plumlee and Czyz, so Singler should have a lot more help next year.

roywhite
06-19-2008, 06:35 AM
In the Lenox Rawlings article that is a DBR feature, there is a quote from Coach K (during the news conference?):

"Health," Krzyzewski said. "The last two years, at the end of the year, we've had at least three major operations on kids. Greg didn't get operated on this spring, but he was out over 2˝ months rehabilitating his knee, so we had four guys...

Somehow I missed news about Paulus having a knee problem. Does anyone have details and an update?

speedevil
06-19-2008, 04:43 PM
During Coach K's press conference, he said that, "There was erosion there," referring to Kyle Singler and the fact that Zoubek's absence caused him to wear down by the end of the season.

Nevertheless, it's pretty amazing to consider that a freshman forward was usually on the floor with four guards (Paulus, Nelson, Henderson, and Scheyer). That would have been a tall order even for a veteran, much less a guy right out of high school. Fortunately, Zoubek and Thomas will be joined by Plumlee and Czyz, so Singler should have a lot more help next year.

we dont need coach k to tell us that "there was erosion there." thats so obvious. singler should not be playing the 5 spot on defensive, i dont care if he's a piece of iron, the wear n tear by guarding biggers guys is gonna have its effects on him. his 3 point shot was awful during the tournament.

Ben Cohen
06-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Some more information about Duke's health and injuries, including updates on Greg Paulus and Gerald Henderson (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/coach-k-on-dukes-injuries/), over at The Chronicle's Sports Blog, at www.dukechroniclesports.com.

DevilDan
06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Amen to Speedevil's comments on Kyle ... If we can somehow set him free of defending the "5" , I think we'll have a much more productive player in Feb-Mar.

I am hoping the best for Brian Zoubek between now and the start of practice. At the very least, a ready Zoubek can bump with (and toughen up) Plumlee, maybe Czyz too, in practice and help them get prepared for NCAA play in November. Anything we can do to develop a "true 5" (defense & boards, even by committee) will give us a dimension we were missing last year. Can't Wait ....

Tappan Zee Devil
06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
we dont need coach k to tell us that "there was erosion there." thats so obvious. singler should not be playing the 5 spot on defensive, i dont care if he's a piece of iron, the wear n tear by guarding biggers guys is gonna have its effects on him. his 3 point shot was awful during the tournament.

The point here is that we kept getting posts that K was oblivious to this. He was obviously aware but limited on options. The man does have an idea of what is going on.

Jim

SupaDave
06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
"To compensate, Henderson has been doing everything with only his left hand, Krzyzewski said."

Really, yall can do all that speculating but this is all I needed to see. This guy could become incredible...

Inonehand
06-19-2008, 10:09 PM
In the Lenox Rawlings article that is a DBR feature, there is a quote from Coach K (during the news conference?):

"Health," Krzyzewski said. "The last two years, at the end of the year, we've had at least three major operations on kids. Greg didn't get operated on this spring, but he was out over 2˝ months rehabilitating his knee, so we had four guys...

Somehow I missed news about Paulus having a knee problem. Does anyone have details and an update?

No details, but unlike other schools, we don't talk about all our injuries. ;)

CameronCrazy'11
06-19-2008, 10:25 PM
"To compensate, Henderson has been doing everything with only his left hand, Krzyzewski said."

Really, yall can do all that speculating but this is all I needed to see. This guy could become incredible...

O boy. If Henderson becomes able to use both hands equally people better watch out.

Tappan Zee Devil
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
O boy. If Henderson becomes able to use both hands equally people better watch out.

He will be amphibious ;)

mgtr
06-19-2008, 10:59 PM
This is just one more example of why Duke will return the best four players in the country. Henderson may well be ambidextrous (or even amphibious) and won't be the best player among the four (although he won't be chopped liver!). I wouldn't trade a single player we have (unless we coudl get a certain Davidson player{alhough, they deserve him, McKilliop should get his glory}).

mgtr
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I though there was a thread floating around on thids subject, but cannot find it. Are we playing Davidson early again? Could be tough. Are we playing Villanova -- didn't TK go there? He could be out for blood. Not likely that we will play Stanford early, K doesn't lie to play former players and coaches, I have heard. Anybody know other teams on the early schedule? Rutgers, WVu, VCU? Probably not.

CameronCrazy'11
06-19-2008, 11:38 PM
He will be amphibious ;)

Huh? I don't get it

Bob Green
06-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Huh? I don't get it

It is a reference to a NC State player being interviewed years ago. When asked about the ability to utilize both hands he answered, "I'm amphibious." I believe it was Chris Washburn or Charles Shackleford.

Savage
06-20-2008, 02:13 AM
I thought it was Shackleford. Searching online, I see both have been attributed saying it. Tough luck for whomever didn't

CameronCrazy'11
06-20-2008, 02:23 AM
It is a reference to a NC State player being interviewed years ago. When asked about the ability to utilize both hands he answered, "I'm amphibious." I believe it was Chris Washburn or Charles Shackleford.

Aaah State, such a great institution of higher learning. I don't want to spread rumors, but I heard one of there recruits this year can read at a 7th grade level!

DukeBlood
06-20-2008, 04:19 AM

Agree'd. I have made a few post's where I believe Henderson could be the one of the best NBA prospects next year out of the ACC. A little more consistent outside shot and a left and hes a star.

* ELLIOT WILLIAMS, FIVE-STAR SHOOTING GUARD: “I don’t know who will make the most impact, but he’ll be a really good player. Very versatile. He’s mature. The school he went to (St. George’s in Collierville, Tenn.) was really a good prep for Duke. I don’t think he’ll have an adjustment people-wise or school-wise. I think he’s got a chance to help right away, although we’ll be deep on the perimeter, if we’re all healthy.”
* OLEK CZYZ, FOUR-STAR POWER FORWARD: “Olek is still learning the game, but he’s a tremendous athlete. I hope he ends up being as good as this guy, but he reminds me a lot of Danny Meagher (a 6-foot-7 power forward from 1981-1985). He’s just a really good athlete. Tough.”
* MILES PLUMLEE, FOUR-STAR POWER FORWARD: “Plumlee is 6-foot-10, he can run, he’s 230. He’s going to be a really good player and add depth to what we’re doing.

I like how Coach K said Elliot has a chance even though we are real deep. Means Williams could be a star in the making.

As far as Czyz and Plumlee, We cant expect too much out of them... yet. I believe it was Bob Green who said Czyz would get 10-15 mpg due to his superb FT shooting(80%+). With Coach K saying he is still learning makes me believe it may be a year or two before he see's alot of time. Not sure what to make of Plumlee

speedevil
06-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Agree'd. I have made a few post's where I believe Henderson could be the one of the best NBA prospects next year out of the ACC. A little more consistent outside shot and a left and hes a star.

I like how Coach K said Elliot has a chance even though we are real deep. Means Williams could be a star in the making.

As far as Czyz and Plumlee, We cant expect too much out of them... yet. I believe it was Bob Green who said Czyz would get 10-15 mpg due to his superb FT shooting(80%+). With Coach K saying he is still learning makes me believe it may be a year or two before he see's alot of time. Not sure what to make of Plumlee

i cant wait to see czyz play. even though they have different styles, i think he will be a great backup behind singler.

mgtr
06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Aaah State, such a great institution of higher learning. I don't want to spread rumors, but I heard one of there recruits this year can read at a 7th grade level!

Emphasis added. I, of course, never make misteaks.

Turtleboy
06-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Are we playing Villanova -- didn't TK go there? He could be out for blood.He'll have to get it from the bench. He has to sit out a year as a transfer.

slower
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM

It was definitely Shackleford.

Remember: Before there was Shaq, there was SHACK!!

slower
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM

"...one of there recruits"?

Please, before you criticize somebody for reading at a 7th grade level, make sure you can SPELL at a 7th grade level.

CameronCrazy'11
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
"...one of there recruits"?

Please, before you criticize somebody for reading at a 7th grade level, make sure you can SPELL at a 7th grade level.

Calm down buddy, the irony was intentional. No need to get all up in arms.

slower
06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Calm down buddy, the irony was intentional. No need to get all up in arms.

That's about the most subtle irony I've seen. Ah, well...bravo.

Rich
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Are we playing Villanova -- didn't TK go there? He could be out for blood.

Not sure if we play 'Nova, but I think TK has to sit out this year if we do.

Edouble
06-21-2008, 02:57 PM
This is just one more example of why Duke will return the best four players in the country. Henderson may well be ambidextrous (or even amphibious) and won't be the best player among the four (although he won't be chopped liver!). I wouldn't trade a single player we have (unless we coudl get a certain Davidson player{alhough, they deserve him, McKilliop should get his glory}).

Maybe we have three out of the ten best, maybe. If we were returning the four best players in the country, we could pencil in the Final Four right now. I'm optimistic too, but you may be stretching a bit. To say that Paulus is better than Hanstravel is unrealistic.

Jarhead
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Huh? I don't get it
It's a Yogi-ism. Yogi Berra , or somebody like him, once referred to a player who hit from both sides of the plate as amphibious instead of ambidextrous. I used to be amphibious, but some years ago I was put ashore.

kydevil
06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Maybe we have three out of the ten best, maybe. If we were returning the four best players in the country, we could pencil in the Final Four right now. I'm optimistic too, but you may be stretching a bit. To say that Paulus is better than Hanstravel is unrealistic.

I believe he meant we have the four best players on one team. As in taking our four over any other teams top four players, correct me if im wrong.

mgtr
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I believe he meant we have the four best players on one team. As in taking our four over any other teams top four players, correct me if im wrong.

That is exactly what I meant. If you could cherry pick one here and one there, it would be a different story. But to see these four on one team -- pretty good in my view. And the operative word is team, rather than just a collection of players.

Edouble
06-22-2008, 05:04 PM
That is exactly what I meant. If you could cherry pick one here and one there, it would be a different story. But to see these four on one team -- pretty good in my view. And the operative word is team, rather than just a collection of players.

Oh. Yeah, I didn't get that at all b/c this is what you said: "This is just one more example of why Duke will return the best four players in the country".

You're saying the best four player group. I would probably agree to that.

mgtr
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
OK, you stated it better than I did -- the best four-player group. We are in complete agreement.