PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Alex Hassan

jimsumner
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Duke Press release

" After putting together a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage during his sophomore season, Duke outfielder Alex Hassan was selected as a recipient of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) announced Tuesday.

Hassan, a 6-3, 200 pound center fielder and pitcher, finished the 2008 campaign with a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage through 148 total chances and 55 games. An All-ACC selection as a utility player, Hassan was one of just nine Division I players to receive the Rawlings Gold Glove Award and one of two in the Atlantic Region, joining Florida State catcher Buster Posey. Hassan is the first Blue Devil in school history to receive the award.

Included in Hassan’s 2008 defensive résumé were 136 putouts and three assists in the outfield, along with four putouts and five more assists from the pitcher’s mound. A native of Boston, Mass., Hassan was one of just six players in the ACC with a 1.000 fielding percentage through more than 100 fielding opportunities.

In addition to his value in the outfield, Hassan provided one of the best bats in Duke’s lineup and led the team with 77 hits, 62 runs and 106 total bases along with 14 steals. He also doubled as the team’s closer, racking up five saves, a 5-0 record and a 1.30 ERA through 17 relief appearances.

Hassan is currently playing with the Orleans Cardinals of the Cape Cod League in his native Massachusetts. "

Inonehand
06-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Three Blue Devils were drafted but all are coming or coming back to Duke. Two incoming freshmen and Nate Frieman are all committed to playing at Duke next year. As good as Hassan was this year in center, I think we will see him playing more leftfield next year with the incoming guys in place. I am very excited about this team and the program Sean McNally is putting together. I do hope he toughens the schedule a little more though. Hard call considering we play in the ACC and every weekend is a tough one. I'd love to see ECU, UNCW, Coastal Carolina on the schedule here and there. Quality programs close by that don't require crazy travel.

gotham devil
06-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Three Blue Devils were drafted but all are coming or coming back to Duke. Two incoming freshmen and Nate Frieman are all committed to playing at Duke next year. As good as Hassan was this year in center, I think we will see him playing more leftfield next year with the incoming guys in place. I am very excited about this team and the program Sean McNally is putting together. I do hope he toughens the schedule a little more though. Hard call considering we play in the ACC and every weekend is a tough one. I'd love to see ECU, UNCW, Coastal Carolina on the schedule here and there. Quality programs close by that don't require crazy travel.

What positions are Pfisterer and Litwin expected to play next season?
Were you surprised that Ben Grisz wasn't drafted too?

Did McNally sign any additional players in the late signing period?
Thanks.

Inonehand
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM
What positions are Pfisterer and Litwin expected to play next season?
Were you surprised that Ben Grisz wasn't drafted too?

Did McNally sign any additional players in the late signing period?
Thanks.

Not the insider I must have come across as. Have no idea where these guys will play but don't see them working their way into the infield. Too solid. Pfisterer will be pitching on the weekends by mid-season I believe. As for Grisz, probably should have been drafted. The other two, and Nate, were drafted below their potential as all of them made it relatively well-known that they wanted to be at Duke next year. Maybe the same thing happened with Grisz. No clue about late signees.

chrishoke
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Duke Press release

" After putting together a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage during his sophomore season, Duke outfielder Alex Hassan was selected as a recipient of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) announced Tuesday.

Hassan, a 6-3, 200 pound center fielder and pitcher, finished the 2008 campaign with a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage through 148 total chances and 55 games. An All-ACC selection as a utility player, Hassan was one of just nine Division I players to receive the Rawlings Gold Glove Award and one of two in the Atlantic Region, joining Florida State catcher Buster Posey. Hassan is the first Blue Devil in school history to receive the award.

Included in Hassan’s 2008 defensive résumé were 136 putouts and three assists in the outfield, along with four putouts and five more assists from the pitcher’s mound. A native of Boston, Mass., Hassan was one of just six players in the ACC with a 1.000 fielding percentage through more than 100 fielding opportunities.

In addition to his value in the outfield, Hassan provided one of the best bats in Duke’s lineup and led the team with 77 hits, 62 runs and 106 total bases along with 14 steals. He also doubled as the team’s closer, racking up five saves, a 5-0 record and a 1.30 ERA through 17 relief appearances.

Hassan is currently playing with the Orleans Cardinals of the Cape Cod League in his native Massachusetts. "

Thanks Jim - I had not seen the release. That is an amazing accomplishment! Congrats to Alex!