PDA

View Full Version : ACC in the draft

MIKESJ73
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
When was the last time that no ACC player was drafted in the lottery or the first round? JJ Hickson isn't a lock and I don't think Demarcus or Gist will be taken in the first round.

CDu
06-17-2008, 11:53 AM
When was the last time that no ACC player was drafted in the lottery or the first round? JJ Hickson isn't a lock and I don't think Demarcus or Gist will be taken in the first round.

It hasn't happened since 1988, when Vinny Del Negro was the first ACC player taken with the 29th pick (back then the 4th pick in the second round). It's been since 2000 since the ACC hasn't had a guy taken in the top 10.

MIKESJ73
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have remember 2000 considering ACC POY Carrawell went in the second round.

mgtr
06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Some of us did not believe that the ACC was considered a weak conference this year, but I guess it was.

mgtr
06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
As a followup to the above, how many ACC players were drafted this year. How many one and dones? Have we graduated past that quick satisfaction? I think we need to work with the NBA to get past one and done and adopt a more sophisticated rule which is fair to players, college teams, and the NBA.
I do not believe that the NCAA should serve as handmaiden to the NBA in supplying players.

JasonEvans
06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Some of us did not believe that the ACC was considered a weak conference this year, but I guess it was.

Either that or all the ACC talent was young and has decided to return making the conference extremely strong next year. It is not like there were not any ACC players capable of being first rounders this year (Henderson, Hasbro, Lawson, and pehaps Singler or Ellington) they just chose to come back to school and make the ACC much better next season.

-Jason "Duke, UNC, Wake, and Miami will all be extremely strong next season" Evans

Bob Green
06-19-2008, 02:09 AM
-Jason "Duke, UNC, Wake, and Miami will all be extremely strong next season" Evans

Clemson will also be tough.

ncexnyc
06-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Clemson will also be tough.

It's nice to see some of the other ACC teams getting some love here.

I realize this is a Duke board and much of the discussion is always going to be about Duke vs UNC, but there are several very young and talented teams out there in ACC land.

I believe NC State will be alot better without Hickson.

Va Tech came on strong at the end of last season and gave Carolina all they could handle in the ACC Tournament. They are definitely a team to watch out for.

Miami is a proven tournament team and McClinton can score with the best of them.

And last, but not least is Clemson, who even though they lost Mays and Hammonds, still have Mr. Booker, who is a beast and should be even better this year.

CDu
06-19-2008, 07:55 AM
It's nice to see some of the other ACC teams getting some love here.

I realize this is a Duke board and much of the discussion is always going to be about Duke vs UNC, but there are several very young and talented teams out there in ACC land.

I believe NC State will be alot better without Hickson.

Va Tech came on strong at the end of last season and gave Carolina all they could handle in the ACC Tournament. They are definitely a team to watch out for.

Miami is a proven tournament team and McClinton can score with the best of them.

And last, but not least is Clemson, who even though they lost Mays and Hammonds, still have Mr. Booker, who is a beast and should be even better this year.

It will be interesting to see how Va Tech does against a tougher schedule and playing without Deron Washington. Same for Clemson without Mays and Hammonds, although I think they do have more to fall back on than Va Tech.

bhd28
06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Either that or all the ACC talent was young and has decided to return making the conference extremely strong next year. It is not like there were not any ACC players capable of being first rounders this year (Henderson, Hasbro, Lawson, and pehaps Singler or Ellington) they just chose to come back to school and make the ACC much better next season.

True... but how many of those would have been in the lottery? I would agree with your thoughts as to extremely strong next year, though, if you mean one of the top 3 conferences.

gw67
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Virginia Tech has a good nucleus of players returning. Vassello is one of the better perimeter players in the ACC and their five freshmen from a year ago – Allen, Delaney, Thompson, Thorns and Hudson had good years and should be better this year. Witcher and Diakite provide some height and defense in the frontcourt. Those eight players should garner the majority of the playing time.

gw67

CDu
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Virginia Tech has a good nucleus of players returning. Vassello is one of the better perimeter players in the ACC and their five freshmen from a year ago – Allen, Delaney, Thompson, Thorns and Hudson had good years and should be better this year. Witcher and Diakite provide some height and defense in the frontcourt. Those eight players should garner the majority of the playing time.

gw67

Yes, they have some solid players returning. But other than Allen and Vassallo none are upper-tier ACC players, in my opinion. And that team was SO dependent upon Washington. He was the difference maker for them. I think it's important to remember that they had a fairly forgiving schedule last year as well.

pfrduke
06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes, they have some solid players returning. But other than Allen and Vassallo none are upper-tier ACC players, in my opinion. And that team was SO dependent upon Washington. He was the difference maker for them. I think it's important to remember that they had a fairly forgiving schedule last year as well.

I'm torn with regard to the loss of Deron. On one hand, he was clearly the key to their defense, and he was a "spark" guy with his athleticism. On the other hand, he wasn't really that good of a basketball player. In 16 conference games last year, he shot 36% from the field. That's not a typo. He was only 40% from 2 and an astoundingly-bad 6-for-31 from 3. He did get to the line a lot, but again, was just a 67% shooter. Both Vassallo and Allen were more productive on offense, and shouldered a greater share of the offensive burden (thankfully, since Washington's game was so sub-par on that end of the court).

So I'm not sure what to say about his loss. Their defense won't be as good, but their offense should be better. He did seem to be an emotional leader for the team, but given his particular brand of emotion, it's unclear whether the emergence of a new leader (assuming Vassallo or Allen can take that mantle) will leave the Hokies better off.

My gut tells me that by the end of the season, folks in Blacksburg will still miss Deron, but the team on the court will be better in his absence.

Carlos
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how Va Tech does against a tougher schedule and playing without Deron Washington.

I suspect that they'll have significantly fewer technical fouls.

Karl Beem
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I suspect that they'll have significantly fewer technical fouls.

But mostly fewer flops.:cool: