PDA

View Full Version : Do NBA coaches matter?

Bluedawg
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Looking for CWS news I found this article: Blog: Why NBA coaches don't matter much (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8243544/Blog:-Why-NBA-coaches-don't-matter-much-) by Yardbarker.com, Special to FOXSports.com

Say what you will about Chicago Bulls GM John Paxson and his recent coaching hire, but I think ol' Johnny got it right. Why pay top dollar when coaches don't matter very much anyway?

While one could argue there are a few top-notch coaches that could make any NBA team good, like Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan, and Gregg Popovich, it's a tough make your argument stick.

He has 6 bullets to make his point, but the two i find the most ineresting are:

4) NBA coaches have no leverage. Ninety percent of NBA coaches have no power over their players ninety percent of the time

6) Most NBA players are too immature to be coached.

So my quetion is, if they don't matter why evern have them. The team captain can make the schedule. Save the money and bring down ticket prices.

dukeimac
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Coaches do matter when it comes to playing time. They make the substitution call.

But when push comes to shove the players can get a coach fired but a coach can't get a player fired.

Most coaches aren't paid near what the players get so who is more important?

That is why pro sports are a joke. Most players aren't smart enough to even play the game intelligently just gifted enough; so you need someone to do the subbing and timeouts.