PDA

View Full Version : Baseball park food

rthomas
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/06/08/travel/20080608_BALLPARK_GRAPHIC.html

What to eat and what not to eat. At PNC Park in Pittsburgh, I always go for Primanti Bros. sandwiches.

riverside6
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
wow, that just made me hungry.

As a Cubs fan, it's kinda funny about the recommendations on the other side of Chicago.

hurleyfor3
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
You don't go to either of the ballparks in Chicago for the food.

DukieInKansas
06-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Unless it is the beginning of the season, don't eat the dogs/brats until 5th inning or so unless you have a very busy concession stand near you. (you don't want to know the reason. :eek:)

Ben63
06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
At PNC Park in Pittsburgh, I always go for Primanti Bros. sandwiches.

I love that place, I mentioned it in the "Ymm...best Deli Sandwiches" thread a few months back. Honestly, the fries are not that good by themselves but they kind of hide it by putting them on the sandwich.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103287&postcount=11

rthomas
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
wow, that just made me hungry.

As a Cubs fan, it's kinda funny about the recommendations on the other side of Chicago.

The Wrigley Field Italian sausage is making my mouth water. The White Sox park food is hilarious.

EarlJam
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't believe they didn't list Boog's BBQ as a thumbs up in Baltimore's Camden Yards. Good stuff, as are the crab cakes.

Of course, I haven't been there in years so Boog's stand may no longer be there. Anyone in the know?

-EarlJam, who loves getting a large salty pretzel with so much mustard on it that it scares the hell out of any and all seated around you. Man, mustard stains are permanent.

2535Miles
06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
And the award for "Food You Wouldn't and Shouldn't Expect to See at Ball Park" goes to... a tie between between San Francisco (Crab Cake Sandwich?) and Seattle (Ichiroll?). Seriously, I just don't think seafood, especially a freaking sushi roll belongs at, in, or near a baseball game. I might concede the point on the Crab Cake but the picture on that page makes me feel like the food is out of place.

hc5duke
06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
McAfee Stadium (Oakland A's) do have some nasty fried chicken and fries... I'm glad it wasn't just me. Forget the balltip sandwich, just go on Dollar Dog Days (I think Wednesdays)! They do have a 10-dog per person limit though :rolleyes:

Jim3k
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
McAfee Stadium (Oakland A's) do have some nasty fried chicken and fries... I'm glad it wasn't just me. Forget the balltip sandwich, just go on Dollar Dog Days (I think Wednesdays)! They do have a 10-dog per person limit though :rolleyes:

Concur. I go regularly, but we always take our own food. They allow you to bring soft drinks so long as they are in plastic bottles. Since I have to drive back home on the freeway at night, I rarely buy a beer. After (and during) the games there are usually a number of BAC impaired folks and I need to be driving at my best.

I usually sit near the visitors bullpen. The number of Red Sox and Cleveland fans who are drunk is almost ridiculous. None of the West Coast teams have fans like that (at least who sit near me). Likewise for the White Sox. Yankee fans are obnoxious, but not usually drunk. We do have Philly coming in 2-1/2 weeks; we'll see how that goes. Other interleaguers are the Giants and the D'backs. The Giants fans will be drunk (we see them regularly when there's no home game across the Bay); the D'backs, not so much, at least when I saw a game there last year.

For DA: The Mariners fans are always polite.

hc5duke
06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Concur. I go regularly, but we always take our own food. They allow you to bring soft drinks so long as they are in plastic bottles. Since I have to drive back home on the freeway at night, I rarely buy a beer. After (and during) the games there are usually a number of BAC impaired folks and I need to be driving at my best.

Lucky for me, the BART has a direct line from P'ton to the Coliseum. Takes about 30 minutes each way on the BART for us. Driving on I580 during quittin' time is a nightmare.

2535Miles
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Lucky for me, the BART has a direct line from P'ton to the Coliseum. Takes about 30 minutes each way on the BART for us. Driving on I580 during quittin' time is a nightmare.
Driving on I-"fill in the blank" anywhere in urban California is a nightmare. You are lucky to have the BART. Mass transit does not exist down here.

DevilAlumna
06-12-2008, 12:41 AM
And the award for "Food You Wouldn't and Shouldn't Expect to See at Ball Park" goes to... a tie between between San Francisco (Crab Cake Sandwich?) and Seattle (Ichiroll?). Seriously, I just don't think seafood, especially a freaking sushi roll belongs at, in, or near a baseball game. I might concede the point on the Crab Cake but the picture on that page makes me feel like the food is out of place.

Seattle is sushi-crazy. You can buy sushi rolls at Costco, for pete's sake. The cafeterias at work have them as takeout options. And Ichiro is the only reason to go to an M's game these days, so what better than to combine them?

Personally, I hit up Ivar's, for some outstanding clam chowder. And maybe a mocha latte from starbucks at the 7th inning stretch.

For DA: The Mariners fans are always polite.

Awww, you say the nicest things. :)

Actually, I wasn't really aware of the official policies of Safeco Field (not really one to push boundaries like that), but apparently, you can get kicked out for behavior not appropriate to a family-friendly environment (e.g. lewd display, boorish drunkeness, etc.) This caused a fuss last week when two women were snatching occasional kisses in the upper deck (by all accounts, not even worthy of making it on the "kiss" camera that highlights audience smooching,) and asked to stop. :confused: Guess some people's family-friendly isn't so..., well, friendly.

2535Miles
06-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Seattle is sushi-crazy. You can buy sushi rolls at Costco, for pete's sake. The cafeterias at work have them as takeout options. And Ichiro is the only reason to go to an M's game these days, so what better than to combine them?

Personally, I hit up Ivar's, for some outstanding clam chowder. And maybe a mocha latte from starbucks at the 7th inning stretch.
Yeah, Southern California is sushi-crazy too, heck even Harris Teeter in NC has sushi. I am sushi-crazy, I just don't think sushi and baseball mix well; at least on this side of the ocean.

Jim3k
06-12-2008, 01:44 AM

Good point. We do BART sometimes. Takes about 40 minutes with the change at MacArthur.

dukemomLA
06-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Agreeing with Earl Jam -- is that a first?!? But the BBQ in Baltimore is pretty great.

Dodger Stadium....hmmm -- nothing really good. Although the sushi is quite acceptable, I agree that sushi and baseball don't seem a good mix. So...yes the dodger dogs. Not great, but since I've been eating dogs at the ballparks for many...many...sigh...many years, it's the food of choice. (Although when watching the Dodgers, I often opt for Jody's Sausage).

Turk
06-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Almost every ballpark review I've seen rave about fish tacos in the new San Diego stadium. I've never had one - although it sounds entirely too healthy for the ballpark. Are they any good?

I'm a big advocate of bringing your food into the ballpark (Boog's BBQ is a good exception...) - you can get the real deal instead of Aramark knockoffs...

jimbonelson
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I can't believe they didn't list Boog's BBQ as a thumbs up in Baltimore's Camden Yards. Good stuff, as are the crab cakes.

Of course, I haven't been there in years so Boog's stand may no longer be there. Anyone in the know?

-EarlJam, who loves getting a large salty pretzel with so much mustard on it that it scares the hell out of any and all seated around you. Man, mustard stains are permanent.
Boog's is still there and he has opened one at the end of the boardwalk in Ocean City Maryland. He does not necessarily sell BBQ but what we in Maryland call pit beef

2535Miles
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Almost every ballpark review I've seen rave about fish tacos in the new San Diego stadium. I've never had one - although it sounds entirely too healthy for the ballpark. Are they any good?

I'm a big advocate of bringing your food into the ballpark (Boog's BBQ is a good exception...) - you can get the real deal instead of Aramark knockoffs...
Fish Tacos are wonderful, but there are better to be had in San Diego than what Petco offers. They are far from healthy. It's usually battered and deep-fried cod, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, and a white cream sauce in a soft street taco (sometimes two).

It's definitely a healthier option that carne asada or carnitas, but not by much.

Jim3k
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm a big advocate of bringing your food into the ballpark

Some ballparks, Tampa Bay's ConcreteBunkerDome, for example, do not allow fans to bring any food or drink. They want a captive audience to sell to.

IMO, this is a mistake, since it discourages families with young children from coming to th game. It also is unfriendly to other fans. (And, when I was there, they claimed to be in compliance with MLB polices on the point. Dunno about that, but other parks handle it quite differently.) That's been 3 years ago, so maybe things have changed.

That is one bad place for baseball. Think implosion and rebuilding a la the Kingdome --> Safeco Field.

rockymtn devil
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Apparently nothing is worth eating at Fenway.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/06/12/fenway_food_stands_failed_inspections/

2535Miles
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Some ballparks, Tampa Bay's ConcreteBunkerDome, for example, do not allow fans to bring any food or drink. They want a captive audience to sell to.

IMO, this is a mistake, since it discourages families with young children from coming to th game. It also is unfriendly to other fans. (And, when I was there, they claimed to be in compliance with MLB polices on the point. Dunno about that, but other parks handle it quite differently.) That's been 3 years ago, so maybe things have changed.

That is one bad place for baseball. Think implosion and rebuilding a la the Kingdome --> Safeco Field.
Petco Park in San Diego has done a great job of providing options for families. From BaseballPilgrimages.com (http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/national/sandiego.html)
"A Park Pass, as the Padres refer to them, is just $5 and many fans bring beach towels to plop down in the grass. Most of the “seating” is obstructed view, as the batter’s eye blocks much of the playing field. The Padres recognized this and added a large screen TV to the back of the batter’s backdrop so fans in the park can follow the action. The park isn’t of much use to hardcore baseball fans, but a perfect place for casual fans and families to spend an afternoon.

The lawn seating in the Park can accommodate approximately 2,000 fans, so the ballpark’s actual capacity is greater than the listed 42,445 fixed seats.

The Padres have some innovative standing room options, highlighted by the “beach” in center field. The beach is a sand-covered section in front of the amphitheater style bleachers where fans can watch the game directly behind the glass paneled outfield fence."

throatybeard
06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I've been to a lot of ballparks, and almost nothing is worth eating. (I'd jump on sushi, but I scoff at the idea of sushi as somehow exotic--I can get it in the cafeteria at UMSL). But, at ballparks, there is alcohol available. And once you're drunk you can eat anything.

I've eaten about 5 hot dogs in the last 5 years. All have been while drunk at the park. And all have done more injustice to my gut than the alcohol that precipitated the eating of them did. Based on differential diagnosis.

devil84
06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Best item I've had at a ball park: the Que Dogs at the Durham Bulls park. A foot long beef hot-dog with nearly a full plate of Dillard's bbq on top, with slaw on the side. Awesome!! Of course, it's about .5 grams of cholesterol short of a heart attack on the spot, but it sure tastes good!

That's the only ball park I've been to in the last, oh, two decades, so I can't speak to other parks.

2535Miles
06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I've been to a lot of ballparks, and almost nothing is worth eating. (I'd jump on sushi, but I scoff at the idea of sushi as somehow exotic--I can get it in the cafeteria at UMSL). But, at ballparks, there is alcohol available. And once you're drunk you can eat anything.

I've eaten about 5 hot dogs in the last 5 years. All have been while drunk at the park. And all have done more injustice to my gut than the alcohol that precipitated the eating of them did. Based on differential diagnosis.
I'm interested in the sushi idea at ball game. I love to eat, especially after drinking, and I will eat almost anything. But I still have major issues with eating sushi at a baseball game. Would you use chop sticks? Does the sushi plate come with ginger and wasabi, and little soy packets? Is there a a sushi chef in the back busting out California Rolls on demand?

I just don't get the feeling that chop sticks, ginger and raw fish mix well with baseball. Assuming they do, I don't feel very confident in baseball-sushi, I just can't imagine a sushi chef in the back making quality rolls. I'll take the busted gut caused by over priced lame American beers, and hot dogs any day over the busted gut caused by sushi.

devildeac
06-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Best item I've had at a ball park: the Que Dogs at the Durham Bulls park. A foot long beef hot-dog with nearly a full plate of Dillard's bbq on top, with slaw on the side. Awesome!! Of course, it's about .5 grams of cholesterol short of a heart attack on the spot, but it sure tastes good!

That's the only ball park I've been to in the last, oh, two decades, so I can't speak to other parks.

If they are .5 grams of cholesterol short of a heart attack, it sounds like you need to eat that 2nd hot dog:o;) (not meant to be an insult, just trying a bit of humor:o)

DevilAlumna
06-12-2008, 11:50 PM
If they are .5 grams of cholesterol short of a heart attack, it sounds like you need to eat that 2nd hot dog(not meant to be an insult, just trying a bit of humor:o)

Trying to drum up some business, DD? :D ;)

EarlJam
06-13-2008, 12:14 AM

I want to "re-invent" the corndog. We've missed the corndog out at the old ballpark.

I want to sell, the HydroCoDog. A fresh, delicious dog, wrapped in a batter and dipped in 7.5 HydroCodine.

I think fans would really enjoy this soothing, euphoric dog.

-EJ

DevilAlumna
06-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I want to "re-invent" the corndog. We've missed the corndog out at the old ballpark.

I want to sell, the HydroCoDog. A fresh, delicious dog, wrapped in a batter and dipped in 7.5 HydroCodine.

I think fans would really enjoy this soothing, euphoric dog.

-EJ

Does your previous experience with corn dog production (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39115&postcount=9)give you any insight on how best to get this on the market?

dukemomLA
06-13-2008, 03:55 AM
:confused:Speaking of families, the L.A. Clippers have GREAT deals for families of four. Seats, food, etc. -- all at a reasonable price.

I realize that most folks are priced out of basketball, football, baseball and most other professional sports. Stupid priorities IMO. Are we creating 'fans of the future'? NOT.

Again, the L.A. Clippers have a fabulous 'family deal.' (Although I suspect that will crumble into non-existence as the Clippers popularity rises).

devildeac
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM

guilty as charged:o

EarlJam
06-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Does your previous experience with corn dog production (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39115&postcount=9)give you any insight on how best to get this on the market?

Got me! That may very well be where I got the idea. At the time, I was on narcotics for my injury and neck deep in writing about corn dog facilities.

My God. Thank you for sending that link! Makes me really appreciate the now. I loathed that job.

-EarlJam

devil84
06-14-2008, 09:10 AM
If they are .5 grams of cholesterol short of a heart attack, it sounds like you need to eat that 2nd hot dog:o;) (not meant to be an insult, just trying a bit of humor:o)

OK DD, it looks like I should eat that second dog as long as you're with me in the park, right? :D Of course, the Que Dog is HUGE, and really can be easily split by two people. I'm not sure I could eat a second dog!

devildeac
06-14-2008, 11:36 AM
OK DD, it looks like I should eat that second dog as long as you're with me in the park, right? :D Of course, the Que Dog is HUGE, and really can be easily split by two people. I'm not sure I could eat a second dog!

Great idea! We oughta have a Triangle Mafia night at the DBAP this summer. Hey, the folks in Atlanta can have their mafia so we oughta establish our own here with our local BB team:D.