PDA

View Full Version : How do you tie a necktie?

CathyCA
06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Okay, guys, I need your help. My 10 year old son persuaded me to buy a necktie for him to wear to his 5th grade promotion ceremony on Thursday. The problem is, neither one of us knows how to tie one. I've thought about taking the tie to the school on Thursday morning and asking the principal to tie the necktie around my kid's neck, but I thought that some of you might be able to give me step by step directions.

I've already looked at several websites that claim to be "how-tos" in tying a tie. Either they're not well written or I can't follow directions. Maybe a bit of both?

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

hc5duke
06-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think I do it the correct way, but this seems good enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7X7SpkkEMY

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Rarely. Very rarely. But I know how by memory and feel, not by watching myself in the mirror.

I'll have to think about it before I post the step by step instructions. Hopefully, someone else will before I do it.

YmoBeThere
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Poorly, very poorly. But then, knots were not my strong suit going back to my Cub and Boy Scout days.

rockymtn devil
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
This may not make sense, but here's how I tie a single windsor.

First, when the tie is around the neck, the fat side is A and the thin is B.

1. Take A under and then all the way around B

2. Take A and slip it up through the loop near the neck

3. Slip A back down through the knot (in between the fabric) and pull tight

Obviously adjust length at the start for longer or shorter.

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Okay, guys, I need your help. My 10 year old son persuaded me to buy a necktie for him to wear to his 5th grade promotion ceremony on Thursday. The problem is, neither one of us knows how to tie one. I've thought about taking the tie to the school on Thursday morning and asking the principal to tie the necktie around my kid's neck, but I thought that some of you might be able to give me step by step directions.

I've already looked at several websites that claim to be "how-tos" in tying a tie. Either they're not well written or I can't follow directions. Maybe a bit of both?

HELP!

Thanks in advance!
I would say you could mail me the tie, I'd tie it, and then mail it back but I don't think we have enough time. Have you tried a neighbor? Maybe they could help with this approach.

wilson
06-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I love ties. I'm pretty sure I was born in one. These days, I wear bowties something like 90% of the time, but I can still tie a good necktie. These are my directions for doing so on one's own neck. I find trying to do so on someone else's neck very difficult, and I rather highly disrecommend it. This will be a good life skill for the little trout to learn anyway. The following is the method for a double Windsor knot, a more complex, yet IMO the best looking necktie knot. Here goes:

1. Hang the tie, untied, around one's neck. Put the skinny end on the left, with between 1/4 and 1/3 the length of the fat end.

2. Cross the fat end over the skinny end and loop it back underneath. The skinny end should once again be hanging to the left, and the fat end to the right. The fat end, however, having been wrapped around, should have its back side showing now.

3. The tie now also forms a loop around the neck. Pull the fat end over the right side of the loop and pull it down through. It will now be hanging behind the skinny end, still with its back facing outward.

4. You now have both fat and skinny ends hanging roughly parallel to each other (the fat end, underneath, should still be considerably longer than the skinny end). There should be a simple, loose knot in the bottom center of the loop around the wearer's neck. Loop the fat end of the tie around this knot in the front. The tie should be starting to look like a properly worn piece of neckwear.

5. Pull the fat end through the loop around the neck, wrapping underneath the loop's left side. You now have the knot at the top of the tie and the skinny end hanging down, with the fat end in your left hand.

6. Pass the fat end downward through the knot, in front of the skinny end, retaining some slack in the knot.

7. To tighten, pull only the fat end. Gradually and gently work the knot upward to its proper place at the collar. Stop as needed to adjust the knot's symmetry, balance, etc. (don't worry about perfect symmetry; a decently made shirt should frame it well enough...button collars are especially helpful for this).

8. As you tighten the knot, the tie will approach its proper length. The point at the bottom should fall at the belt buckle (the trick to this is getting the lengths of the fat and skinny ends right at the very beginning...this is most definitely a trick, learned largely by feel). Hopefully, you will not have to tighten the knot too much nor leave it too loose to acheive proper length. This gives you a cleanly tied, sharp looking tie.

I never realized how difficult it is to explain all of this. I will say, however, that a necktie looks damn good when you tie it as methodically as I just did. Think I'll keep it on for the balance of the evening.

Hope this helps; let us know how it goes, or if you need further assistance. Good luck!

EarlJam
06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I love ties. I'm pretty sure I was born in one. These days, I wear bowties something like 90% of the time, but I can still tie a good necktie. These are my directions for doing so on one's own neck. I find trying to do so on someone else's neck very difficult, and I rather highly disrecommend it. This will be a good life skill for the little trout to learn anyway. The following is the method for a double Windsor knot, a more complex, yet IMO the best looking necktie knot. Here goes:

1. Hang the tie, untied, around one's neck. Put the skinny end on the left, with between 1/4 and 1/3 the length of the fat end.

2. Cross the fat end over the skinny end and loop it back underneath. The skinny end should once again be hanging to the left, and the fat end to the right. The fat end, however, having been wrapped around, should have its back side showing now.

3. The tie now also forms a loop around the neck. Pull the fat end over the right side of the loop and pull it down through. It will now be hanging behind the skinny end, still with its back facing outward.

4. You now have both fat and skinny ends hanging roughly parallel to each other (the fat end, underneath, should still be considerably longer than the skinny end). There should be a simple, loose knot in the bottom center of the loop around the wearer's neck. Loop the fat end of the tie around this knot in the front. The tie should be starting to look like a properly worn piece of neckwear.

5. Pull the fat end through the loop around the neck, wrapping underneath the loop's left side. You now have the knot at the top of the tie and the skinny end hanging down, with the fat end in your left hand.

6. Pass the fat end downward through the knot, in front of the skinny end, retaining some slack in the knot.

7. To tighten, pull only the fat end. Gradually and gently work the knot upward to its proper place at the collar. Stop as needed to adjust the knot's symmetry, balance, etc. (don't worry about perfect symmetry; a decently made shirt should frame it well enough...button collars are especially helpful for this).

8. As you tighten the knot, the tie will approach its proper length. The point at the bottom should fall at the belt buckle (the trick to this is getting the lengths of the fat and skinny ends right at the very beginning...this is most definitely a trick, learned largely by feel). Hopefully, you will not have to tighten the knot too much nor leave it too loose to acheive proper length. This gives you a cleanly tied, sharp looking tie.

I never realized how difficult it is to explain all of this. I will say, however, that a necktie looks damn good when you tie it as methodically as I just did. Think I'll keep it on for the balance of the evening.

Hope this helps; let us know how it goes, or if you need further assistance. Good luck!

Golly darn! Thanks?

-EarlJam

throatybeard
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I tie a four-in-hand, but that's because I'm too dumb to tie a half- or full-Windsor.

wilson
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Golly darn...-EarlJam

That's not what this post said three minutes ago. ;)

captmojo
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I was instructed by my father and my brother many, many moons ago. I had no attention for comprehension at that time.(wearing of neckties was not conducive to athletic performance)

When push came to shove and I finally made the decision to learn, the best teacher I had was the Boy Scout Handbook.

CathyCA
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!

I sat my son down in front of the YouTube video that hc5duke linked. He practiced and practiced, and now he knows how to tie a decent looking necktie knot.

I still don't know how to tie one, but since I don't wear neckties, I suppose that's okay.

Gracias, tak, merci, domo arigato, salamat, toda raba, grazie tanto, shukria and thank you!

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!

I sat my son down in front of the YouTube video that hc5duke linked. He practiced and practiced, and now he knows how to tie a decent looking necktie knot.

I still don't know how to tie one, but since I don't wear neckties, I suppose that's okay.

Gracias, tak, merci, domo arigato, salamat, toda raba, grazie tanto, shukria and thank you!
Your son rules! I remember when I learned to tie my first knot. How cool!

EarlJam
06-10-2008, 10:38 PM
This thread reminds me of my old african-american friend Charles Gattis.

In the 11th Grade, we were asked to give a five-minute presentation on how to build or accomplish something. The goal of the activity was to show that we could break down a final product into a series of understandable steps.

Well, "ol Chales" went to the front of the class (1985) with boom box in hand and set the boom box on a stool.

With a big grin on his face (he knew he was being funny - and he WAS funny) Charles said, "My presentation is on, 'how to listen to music."

He pressed play.

For the next 4.5 minutes, Charles just grinned the biggest grin and nodded his head back and forth as he listened to the music.

At the end of the tape, Charles asked, "Any questions?"

The class just erupted into applause and laughter.

Yes. That is how we rolled.

It was awesome. I loved Charles. And I hope he isn't dead yet. But I think he may be.

-EarlJam

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I remember when I learned to tie my first knot. How cool!

Who did you tie up and how long did it take for him or her to get loose? :D

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Who did you tie up and how long did it take for him or her to get loose? :D
HAHAHA. Wait, how did you know! Damn, now I have to leave the country, again.

xenic
06-10-2008, 11:54 PM

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

There's a bunch of ways... the easiest is to wrap the fat end around the small end 1.5 times, then bring the fat end up between the wrap and his neck, then put the fat end through the loop created by the 1.5 times around... you'll have to get the spacing down on your own.

DevilAlumna
06-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Okay, guys, I need your help. My 10 year old son persuaded me to buy a necktie for him to wear to his 5th grade promotion ceremony on Thursday.

I just want to say Kudos to you for raising such a cool son, that he wants to wear a tie! He must be a pretty smart, special kid, to recognize the importance of his promotion ceremony, the dignity a tie imparts especially for such an event, and the style/panache to carry it off. That's impressive for a high school grad, much more so for a 10-yo.

(And thanks Hc5, for the video -- I now know why my windsor knots never came out right. :) )

Bluedawg
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think I do it the correct way, but this seems good enough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7X7SpkkEMY

That's how I tie mine, except i button my collar. I think it gives a smoother look.

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Brooks Brothers has a handy guide on their site. I prefer the four-in-a-hand, but tried out a half windsor recently.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/tieknots.tem

Johnboy
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
THANK YOU!!!!!

If he followed that video, he's tying a double Windsor - if it looks good, he really rocks, because when I tie them, they look overly big and bulbous. I tie a half-Windsor because they aren't too big or difficult to tie, and a four-in hand looks like crap - very difficult to get it symmetrical, it's thin, and no one who regularly wears a tie wears one. Which is to say, it is to wearing a tie as "throwing like a girl" is to pitching a baseball. To tie a half-Windsor, you just leave the extra loop on the right side off.

CathyCA
06-11-2008, 10:03 PM
If he followed that video, he's tying a double Windsor - if it looks good, he really rocks

It DOES look good, and I'll have pictures to post after tomorrow's promotion ceremony.

wilson
06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
It DOES look good, and I'll have pictures to post after tomorrow's promotion ceremony.

It really is pretty bad [butt] that he has decided to learn this skill for this occasion...two rites of passage in one. In twenty years (or maybe not even that many), he'll be really happy to be able to say he learned to tie a tie for his fifth grade promotion. Just outstanding. Please do post a pic or two for us.

snowdenscold
06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I believe I tie a half-Windsor but I'm not exactly sure. I actually always start out with the tie turned backward - with the nice, front of the tie facing my body.

The fat side is still on the right, which I think cross under the thin side, and loop it up into the V-shape I just created. After pulling this tight, I swing it around to the left of me, then across the entire thing agin, then back up thru the V-shape, and back down in the hole I just created. (It would make more sense when you see it). Tighten and adjust.

Anyway - the tie is actually upside down underneath my collar, but no one can see that. But both the bottom sides that hang down face each other, so if you lifted it up you wouldn't see the seam.

DukeUsul
06-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I believe I tie a half-Windsor but I'm not exactly sure. I actually always start out with the tie turned backward - with the nice, front of the tie facing my body.

The fat side is still on the right, which I think cross under the thin side, and loop it up into the V-shape I just created. After pulling this tight, I swing it around to the left of me, then across the entire thing agin, then back up thru the V-shape, and back down in the hole I just created. (It would make more sense when you see it). Tighten and adjust.

Anyway - the tie is actually upside down underneath my collar, but no one can see that. But both the bottom sides that hang down face each other, so if you lifted it up you wouldn't see the seam.

Is it the Shelby knot? That's the only one I can think of that starts with the tie backwards. This is the usual knot I tie.

http://www.tieguide.com/pratt-shelby.htm

snowdenscold
06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Is it the Shelby knot? That's the only one I can think of that starts with the tie backwards. This is the usual knot I tie.

http://www.tieguide.com/pratt-shelby.htm

Yeah OK - that's the one. It's the only one I know how to tie. I wonder what the pros/cons are in comparison with others.

Jfrosh
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Brooks Brothers has a handy guide on their site. I prefer the four-in-a-hand, but tried out a half windsor recently.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/tieknots.tem

Thank you so much for the link. I've worn a tie 6 days a week for about 15 years, that's means I've tied a tie almost 5,000 times, but until today I never knew I used a half windsor. My brother taught me back in Jr. High for cotillion and I have been tying it the same way ever since.

CathyCA
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Here is a picture from this morning's promotion ceremony. Christian tied his own tie this morning.

I am so proud to report that Christian was honored with a Presidential Award at his school. He got a letter, certificate and tie tack :D (no kidding!) from President Bush.

http://a963.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/99/m_a78b26dcbeff4337273f0e61763bbf92.jpg

DukieInKansas
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Congratulations on the award. Good thing he learned how to tie a tie - he needed somewhere to put the tie tack. (Did he know in advance?)

And the tie looks great!

OldPhiKap
06-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Here is a picture from this morning's promotion ceremony. Christian tied his own tie this morning.

I am so proud to report that Christian was honored with a Presidential Award at his school. He got a letter, certificate and tie tack :D (no kidding!) from President Bush.

http://a963.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/99/m_a78b26dcbeff4337273f0e61763bbf92.jpg

Congrats!

hc5duke
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Cool! Glad to have (indirectly) helped!

TillyGalore
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Congratulations! Way to go raising an awesome human being.

TillyGalore
06-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I've occasionally worn a scarf that tied in a windsor knot, and have received a lot of compliments.

CathyCA
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Congratulations on the award. Good thing he learned how to tie a tie - he needed somewhere to put the tie tack. (Did he know in advance?)

Neither he nor I knew about the award in advance. And, truthfully, the "tie tack" is actually a lapel pin, but he was so proud of that tie that he calls the pin his tie tack.

throatybeard
06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
If he followed that video, he's tying a double Windsor - if it looks good, he really rocks, because when I tie them, they look overly big and bulbous. I tie a half-Windsor because they aren't too big or difficult to tie, and a four-in hand looks like crap - very difficult to get it symmetrical, it's thin, and no one who regularly wears a tie wears one. Which is to say, it is to wearing a tie as "throwing like a girl" is to pitching a baseball. To tie a half-Windsor, you just leave the extra loop on the right side off.

Witness what I said:

I tie a four-in-hand, but that's because I'm too dumb to tie a half- or full-Windsor.

DukieInKansas
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Neither he nor I knew about the award in advance. And, truthfully, the "tie tack" is actually a lapel pin, but he was so proud of that tie that he calls the pin his tie tack.

I like his creativity and flexibility in finding another use for a lapel pin, plus he wears a tie: this kid is going places. :) Next year - 6th grade, after that - who knows?

devildeac
06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I like his creativity and flexibility in finding another use for a lapel pin, plus he wears a tie: this kid is going places. :) Next year - 6th grade, after that - who knows?

Hopefully 7th grade;):D

BTW, congrats-nicely done.