PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open

dukemomLA
06-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Heading down to Torrey Pines for a day (Sat.) at the U.S. Open. Any thoughts from DBR posters. And...what do you think about the pairing of Tiger and Phil M? (...gonna cause a logjam, don't ya think?)

GO TIGER!

YmoBeThere
06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
I followed Tiger around at Pinehurst in '99. Too crowded so I ended up trailing a guy with the last name of Stewart.

I'd put my money on a field bet...

gw67
06-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I've gone to two Presidents Cups and one tourney at Congressional with Tiger entered and the crowds that follow him are enormous. If you want to see him play, my suggestion is to pick a hole where you have a good view and stay there all day. If you want to walk the grounds, I would pick out a non-Tger pairing that appears interesting and follow them.

I like the idea of pairing the best players for the first two days. By Saturday, the players will be paired based on how they scored during the first two rounds.

gw67

ugadevil
06-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Heading down to Torrey Pines for a day (Sat.) at the U.S. Open. Any thoughts from DBR posters. And...what do you think about the pairing of Tiger and Phil M? (...gonna cause a logjam, don't ya think?)

GO TIGER!

I'd avoid Tiger and the last couple groups in front of him. Not only does he have a huge crowd with him at every hole, people are always running ahead to the next hole to try and get a good spot.

Lavabe
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I followed Tiger around at Pinehurst in '99. Too crowded so I ended up trailing a guy with the last name of Stewart.

I'd put my money on a field bet...

Two words for you Ymo:

Big Brown:eek:

Don't bet on this one.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Duke4Ever32
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM

GO TIGER!

Don't look over the cliffs...there's nude people on the beach below!

YmoBeThere
06-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Two words for you Ymo:

Big Brown:eek:

Don't bet on this one.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Such is the lot of the inveterate gambler. I'm rather quiet in person, but I guess I always have an opinion. :)

ugadevil
06-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I wonder what place Tiger will finish in his own pairing tomorrow. Phil and Adam Scott have both been playing very well over the last few weeks.

hurleyfor3
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
At last year's Open I started calling the swarm that followed Tiger the Army of Ignorance. It caught on.

Indoor66
06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
At last year's Open I started calling the swarm that followed Tiger the Army of Ignorance. It caught on.

Where did it "catch on?"

Clipsfan
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd avoid Tiger and the last couple groups in front of him. Not only does he have a huge crowd with him at every hole, people are always running ahead to the next hole to try and get a good spot.

There's a decent chance that since she's going on Saturday she won't even have the chance to watch Tiger. He may not make it to the weekend.

killerleft
06-11-2008, 12:43 PM
There's a decent chance that since she's going on Saturday she won't even have the chance to watch Tiger. He may not make it to the weekend.

I'm not a betting man, but surely you can get some great odds betting that Tiger won't make the cut. Anything IS possible, I guess.

JasonEvans
06-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Tiger double bogeyed #1, yikes!

Since then he has 2 birdies so he is at even thru 8, not bad.

Dukie Joe Ogilvy, who has been playing pretty well lately, is also at even so far on his round. Steve Stricker is 4-under thru 9, which is just sick at a US Open. It will not last, I predict, because those kind of scores never last at the US Open. Looks like the course may be playing a tad easier than other Opens though. It will almost certainly take a score several strokes under par to win the tournament this year.

It will be interesting to see how Tiger holds up late in the round as he has not even walked 18 holds in months.

--Jason "which is more likely, Tiger finishing 30th or worse or Tiger winning after this crazy layoff?" Evans

JasonEvans
06-12-2008, 01:31 PM
And Steve Stricker promptly double-bogeys his 10th hole, pushing him back to 2-under.

"Ahhh, that's more like it," said the US Open.

-JE

YmoBeThere
06-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, my field bet is looking a little shaky with Tiger one stroke behind Stuart Appleby.

JasonEvans
06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
How do folks feel about the really late time the Open is happening on the East Coast because it is being played in San Diego? We are gonna have Tiger out on the course and in prime time until 9:30 or 10pm tonight and until 9pm tomorrow night. I think it is kinda cool and won't be at all surprised if the rations are strong.

--Jason "was it this late when it was last on the West coast?" Evans

DevilAlumna
06-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow, Vandy grad Brandt Snedeker had a great round today -- moved up to +4, by shooting a 68. I know there's still a lot of players on the course, but he's the lowest into the clubhouse so far, by 2 strokes.

YmoBeThere
06-14-2008, 04:58 PM
It does make it easier for me to see it...and doesn't conflict with some other sports.

DevilAlumna
06-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Wow, Phil Mickelson just pulled a Tin Cup-like moment at hole 13. Is he imploding??

Indoor66
06-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, Phil Mickelson just pulled a Tin Cup-like moment at hole 13. Is he imploding??

Brain Dead!

YmoBeThere
06-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Tiger not doing so hot, granted only completed one hole but a double bogey...

2535Miles
06-14-2008, 08:55 PM
the putt of the round.

2535Miles
06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
the putt of the round.
He just hit the chip of the round.

EarlJam
06-14-2008, 09:57 PM
He just hit the chip of the round.

His reaction after that chip - hey, I'm a heterosexual man all the way but that was just precious. I wanted to kiss him. Unbelievable.

-EarlJam

2535Miles
06-14-2008, 10:14 PM
His reaction after that chip - hey, I'm a heterosexual man all the way but that was just precious. I wanted to kiss him. Unbelievable.
And the approach on 18? And the putt? With the knee? <sniff sniff>

terrih
06-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Incredible stuff today. Continues to amaze.

DukeDude
06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow! That was unbelievable what Tiger did on the last 6 holes. With the way he playing early today, I figured it would be like the Masters where Tiger was close enough to win but never put pressure on the leader. Now he is the leader and the rest of the field has to be demoralized.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-14-2008, 10:26 PM
In the poll thread, I said Tiger would win and so many of you thought I was crazy. Reading the early posts in this thread, you still had no faith.

Now that Tiger has the lead going into Sunday, I think I'm looking pretty good with my prediction, don't I!:D

Tiger is the best putter in the history of the world. When he is on, he is unbeatable. When he's off, he still wins most of the time. Simply an amazing talent.

DevilAlumna
06-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow, just wow. And the sportscasters were saying something to the effect of Woods being 54-3 for tournaments when he has the lead going into the last day.

I hope his knee holds up; straight to an ice bath with him!

(But Snedeker still had the best round of the day. Go Dores.)

Lavabe
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I think my heart has calmed down a little. Just wow! Even my wife was into this round of golf today.

NBC is getting prime time action on this tomorrow night. They win!

The knee issue is scary. When asked by NBC afterwards if his knee is getting worse, he simply said it was, smiled, and that was that.

I hope he can survive the next round. How many weeks off until the British Open?

Cheers,
Lavabe

snowdenscold
06-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I got home in time to watch the entire back 9 of the last several pairings - good timing for me. 13, 16 and 18 of Tiger were fun and memorable moments.

dukemomLA
06-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Hey, poster. Were you kidding??? Not making the cut? GO TIGER! And Rocco -- love him also. Glad to see Phil M. implode....can't help it, just don't like the guy. Sorry to see Jesper out of the hunt.

Let's see if Tiger can work through his injury/pain tomorrow. (Sunday)

Had a GREAT time today at Torrey Pines -- just had to see Tiger in person. (And I agree that the crowds of 50,000 were outrageous). It's soooo much better to watch on TV, but Tiger in person is amazing! All of us should experience it just once.

Indoor66
06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
And the approach on 18? And the putt? With the knee? <sniff sniff>

Kinda reminds you of Ty Lawson and the ankle. :rolleyes:

YmoBeThere
06-15-2008, 09:19 AM
My field bet is looking even more precarious...

rockymtn devil
06-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Tiger is showing once again that no one is better than him at maximizing his highs (13 & 18 yesterday) and minimizing his lows (17, and much of the rest of the tournament). The latter of these is really coming out this weekend because, as has been noted here, his knee is not doing well. It's amazing that, despite playing so poorly, Woods is -3 at the US Open. Perhaps even more amazing is that he's only -3 given what he did yesterday coupled with a back 9 (front 9) 30 on Friday. We're seeing Tiger Woods play poorly and just will in eagle putts to keep him in the hunt. Fun stuff.

2535Miles
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey, poster. Were you kidding??? Not making the cut? GO TIGER! And Rocco -- love him also. Glad to see Phil M. implode....can't help it, just don't like the guy. Sorry to see Jesper out of the hunt.

Let's see if Tiger can work through his injury/pain tomorrow. (Sunday)

Had a GREAT time today at Torrey Pines -- just had to see Tiger in person. (And I agree that the crowds of 50,000 were outrageous). It's soooo much better to watch on TV, but Tiger in person is amazing! All of us should experience it just once.
So I take it you ignored all of the advice and followed Tiger?

blazindw
06-15-2008, 01:02 PM

I had the opportunity to see Tiger play many times at the Buick Open (the one in Grand Blanc, Michigan; I also saw him at the new tournament that took place in Bethesda, MD last summer). One of my favorite times was when my dad played in the pro-am one year (he works for GM), and he got to play with Jay Haas. That weekend, when my dad and I went up to the tournament, we followed Haas (really good guy, and after that pro-am became one of my favorite golfers) all around the course, then were able to get a seat in the front row of the 18th green grandstands. Then, we sat and watched everyone come in. Absolutely fantastic view of the 18th hole, and when Tiger finally came around, the stands were full, but we could see everything. I mean, we were no more than 15 feet from him as he sank his putt to end the round.

I agree, it's better to see the tournament from home since you get to see all the shots. But, there's nothing like viewing a Tiger fist pump from 15 feet away and 70,000 fans going nuts!

DevilAlumna
06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
The knee issue is scary. When asked by NBC afterwards if his knee is getting worse, he simply said it was, smiled, and that was that.

I don't know who the interviewer was, but I thought he did a good job of bringing up the knee issue - "I know you haven't wanted to talk about it, but you know I have to ask..."

He did an even better job ending it after Tiger responded to his question, "Is it getting worse as the tournament progresses? Yes, it is." After just the tiniest pause, the guy just said, "Well, thank you very much, and back to the studios."

Just a really funny/frank moment.

throatybeard
06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
The knee is obviously bothering him, but he's really hurting himself with the driver. Johnny Miller is right--the was NO reason for him to hit driver on two.

I've often though Tiger's ego gets in his way. Or something. As great as he is, he'd have even more major wins if he just decided "I'm going to get it in the damn fairway," instead of spraying it all over the map with a driver. His iron play is better than everyone else's, so it's not like hitting a club or two extra on his second would hurt him.

It's odd to me that Mickleson has always gotten a ton of criticism for over-aggression and Tiger doesn't, when they do the same basic things in that department.

He'll still probably win today, but he needs to throw his driver in the ocean. They say the course is playing 400 yards shorter than the listed distance anyway today.

YmoBeThere
06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I hear what you are saying, but to suggest he play differently doesn't make sense to me. His thought process, while perhaps flawed with regards to the driver, has gotten him 13 majors. If he doesn't use his driver on 2, then he shouldn't be doing XX in some other situation. Sometimes its painful to watch sports because you know if the person decided something different, they might get a different outcome. But then, they also may not have gotten there in the first place.

throatybeard
06-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I didn't want to jinx him during his round, but Rocco Mediate is my newest hero. 45 years old. I used to watch this guy with my grandfather, and he's been gone 15 years. What a life-changer this could be for this guy--the most stirring Open since Payne's 1999 win.

(I was also cheering for Westwood--no Euro/Brit has won since Tony Jacklin in 1970)

ETA: both Westwood and El Tigre are in the fairway bunkers on 18.

CameronBornAndBred
06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Wooohoooo!!!!

throatybeard
06-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I honestly like Tiger slightly more than UNC. Nice gloating showboat gesture after the tying putt.

Bluedog
06-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow! I must say that I really hate 18 hole playoffs on a Monday, though. So much less suspense...During the week...and kind of boring watching just two people playing for the casual observer like me. Too much stoppage time. THREE HOLE PLAYOFFS PLEASE!

CameronBornAndBred
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I honestly like Tiger slightly more than UNC. Nice gloating showboat gesture after the tying putt.

Oh Please!!!! You can't tell me if you had just saved your pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! in a major tourney you wouldn't be celebrating too. I let out a whoop during that putt, and my wife told me I was only allowed to do that during basketball season!

throatybeard
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Good call Bluedog, or 4 holes like the British.

DukeDude
What an incredible Open! Do they move the pins and tees for tomorrow, or will they play the same "short" course they played today?

throatybeard
Oh Please!!!! You can't tell me if you had just saved your pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! in a major tourney you wouldn't be celebrating too. I let out a whoop during that putt, and my wife told me I was only allowed to do that during basketball season!

I didn't see Mediate acting like that.

A-Tex Devil
06-15-2008, 09:01 PM

I don't know, I kinda disagree. I think it was a pretty honest reaction by Tiger (although I think his caddie should tone it down). Who is he gloating over? It certainly wasn't worse than Hale Irwin high fiving the crowd in 1990 -- and no one really complained about that. He was as excited as anyone would be pulling a birdie out of his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. on hole 72.

I'm rooting for Rocco tomorrow cause I think he's one hell of a guy, but I don't think Tiger reacted poorly.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Tiger is the best putter in the history of the world. When he is on, he is unbeatable. When he's off, he still wins most of the time. Simply an amazing talent.

He only made one putt all day, and that one rattled in, but he sure made it when it counted!

There is no loser tomorrow. If Rocco wins it, absolutely a great story and well deserved, but if Tiger's knee holds up, and he seemed to get his ills under control after the first hour or so, I think he wins going away.

Tiger just said in his interview that he "took some things" to get his pain under control. I guess there is an Advil/Aleve/Tylenol commercial in the offing.

Good luck to both!

blazindw
06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow! I must say that I really hate 18 hole playoffs on a Monday, though. So much less suspense...During the week...and kind of boring watching just two people playing. Too much stoppage time. THREE HOLE PLAYOFFS PLEASE!

I don't think they do that for every tournament. I remember the PGA Championship where Tiger beat Bob May in a playoff (2000 I believe) that they had a 3-hole playoff, from which I remember Tiger's 40-foot putt for birdie where he ran to the hole before it went in and pointed at the ball as it went down.

As for the celebration Throaty, I can't fault it. He had been playing pretty poorly the few holes before that, so for that putt to drop in Tiger fashion, I think it was to let out some exultation and frustration at the same time.

I'm almost glad I don't have a job to go to tomorrow...I can stay home and watch golf and soccer all day.

DevilAlumna
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I didn't see Mediate acting like that.

Rocco had to salvage par and a one-stroke lead for his last shot, knowing Tiger was right behind him and capable of getting an eagle to win, so his toned down response seemed appropriate.

Now, if he had sunk his birdy putt to put the match out of reach, I think he would have shown a heck of a lot more emotion.

I agree that an 18-hole playoff tomorrow is just darned anti-climactic, particularly one that starts at 9AM.... :(

rockymtn devil
06-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't think they do that for every tournament. I remember the PGA Championship where Tiger beat Bob May in a playoff (2000 I believe) that they had a 3-hole playoff, from which I remember Tiger's 40-foot putt for birdie where he ran to the hole before it went in and pointed at the ball as it went down.

They don't do it for every tournament. It's a USGA decision to have 18-hole playoffs. Since this isn't really a PGA Tour event, PGA rules aren't applied.

I thought Tiger lost it on 13 with an unbelievably stupid move. His 3rd shot on 18 was pretty incredible, especially given that it came off of a bad drive and worse 2nd shot. That's mental toughness and an example of what I meant earlier when I said he's great a minimizing his lows.

Gotta love Rocco. He wears pins from past US Opens on his hat like a 12-year old. And the peace sign belt-buckles was a great touch.

Lavabe
06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I really don't care who wins tomorrow. They're both great fun to watch.

Funny Ozzie, but after the Tiger interview, my wife thought Tiger had taken Alleve, and I thought Advil.

throaty: Tiger can celebrate all he wants, after all the wincing he did.

Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM

Totally agreed. Was it gloating or showboating when Laettner and Duke celebrated like they did after Christian hit the last second desperation shot to give Duke "new life?"

That was just raw emotion and I think Tiger has a great respect for the game and his opponents. Like Laettner, he's just fiercely competitive. He reacts, the crowd loves it. Quite "Conners-Like" too.

-EarlJam

dukemomLA
06-16-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm conflicted about the 18 hole playoff. (Don't really think that's the best course to follow).

As a huge Tiger fan, I wish he were battling anyone else than Rocco. I also adore Rocco -- his fun, his 'shrug it off' attitude, his ability to talk to the crowd and not take himself too seriously.

A US Open win for him would place him in 'golf lore.' Ah...such a dilemma for me -- but then again whomever wins tomorrow, it's a win-win for this fan.

GO TIGER! GO ROCCO! Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Hoping that Monday's 18 holes are compellng and fun and tooth-and-nail.

Channing
06-16-2008, 07:47 AM

there is a reason golf has exploded in popularity in the last decade. It is not just because Tiger is very good, its because he brings raw emotion to the game.

...and because he is amazing.

killerleft
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I agree with above posters. Let Tiger celebrate!

But I don't think it's fair that the greatest golfer ever should have had a magic horseshoe implanted in his body by his dad. Even his horrible tee shots, 50 yards offline, wind up with good lies where the spectators have trampled down the grass!

blazindw
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
FYI, the playoff round will start at noon ET on ESPN and on ESPN360.com.

rthomas
06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I think Rocco's dance when he addresses the ball is hilarious. He does the exact same thing every time. Whatever works!

I'm feeling a little sick and may not be able to go to work today.

Indoor66
06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I think Rocco's dance when he addresses the ball is hilarious. He does the exact same thing every time. Whatever works!

I'm feeling a little sick and may not be able to go to work today.

You're OK until about 2:00 PM Eastern. NBC is televising the back nine.

Mal
06-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm sort of torn on the Tiger theatrics. I don't think I'm a total fuddy duddy - I understand the game's accepted a little more of a casual attitude toward emotional displays in recent years, partly due to the fan base Tiger brings. I complain about automatons with no discernible personality like Davis Love III, too, so a little animation is alright with me.

That said, I still prefer to see a guy win with a dignified display over a lot of today's constant fist-pumping. Imagine yourself, after sinking a putt on the 18th to win (nay, to tie) a match at the local course, acting like Tiger did yesterday. You'd appear quite the fool, I'm sure. The fact that the stakes are higher for Tiger doesn't make that much of a difference to me. It's fed by the crowd, I guess, but it's not like they don't send up a roar when someone else makes a big putt. Think how much fun we'd make of Phil Mickelson if he ran after a ball pointing at it on its way into the hole.

It's not just Tiger, of course. Still, they showed a replay yesterday of him after that first eagle putt Saturday, on an iso camera with the sound engineered to focus in on him. I'd never heard anything like this before, as he's always drowned out by the gallery's reaction to his big putte. He basically ran off the green yelling and screaming. It was really pretty obnoxious.

There's a little bit of a double standard applied to Tiger because he's (a) likely the greatest player of all time, or will be, and (b) the greatest moneymaker the PGA will ever know. So his antics are encouraged. Tiger always conducts himself with the utmost composure and class off the course, more than a lot of guys, and has matured greatly. I like Tiger a lot, and I like watching him. But I see where throaty's coming from.

Back on topic, Tiger will win today. Not because he's better - he is, but hasn't played any better than Rocco over 72 holes. It's just that Rocco had two 4-5 foot saving putts he missed on the back nine yesterday that would have won it for him. He's played wonderfully, but I suspect he'll be out of tricks today. Especially if Tiger doesn't let him get three up by blowing up on the first two holes.

Duke4Ever32
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone have an idea approximately what time the last 3 to 4 holes of today's round will be played?? I never watched golf before yesterday, but got drawn in, and would like to see the last few holes today. Thanks!

Shammrog
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't generally object to Tiger's (or anyone else's) "displays" unless they are a. done too often, or b. contrived. Tiger's fist pump yesterday was *entirely* appropriate; hell, my wife and I even jumped! (and we, certainly she, are not even golf fans.) That was an amazing make. And his knee is clearly bothering him - look at the grimaces, and his lifting of the foot when swinging.

Mediate is great, too - love his attitude, energy, personality. All around an underdog anyone can root for! However, he is by no means a "bad" golfer - he actually has over $13M in career winnings. I point this out not to diminish his story in any way: rather, just to point out that he's a pretty good golfer in his own right.

captmojo
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't oppose excitement on the course. Golf has always had too staid a demeanor. I don't want to see any in-your-face histrionics, though. I also would not be in opposition to changing US Open playoffs over to match play rather than stroke play.

rthomas
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm sort of torn on the Tiger theatrics. I don't think I'm a total fuddy duddy - I understand the game's accepted a little more of a casual attitude toward emotional displays in recent years, partly due to the fan base Tiger brings. I complain about automatons with no discernible personality like Davis Love III, too, so a little animation is alright with me.

That said, I still prefer to see a guy win with a dignified display over a lot of today's constant fist-pumping. Imagine yourself, after sinking a putt on the 18th to win (nay, to tie) a match at the local course, acting like Tiger did yesterday. You'd appear quite the fool, I'm sure. The fact that the stakes are higher for Tiger doesn't make that much of a difference to me. It's fed by the crowd, I guess, but it's not like they don't send up a roar when someone else makes a big putt. Think how much fun we'd make of Phil Mickelson if he ran after a ball pointing at it on its way into the hole.

It's not just Tiger, of course. Still, they showed a replay yesterday of him after that first eagle putt Saturday, on an iso camera with the sound engineered to focus in on him. I'd never heard anything like this before, as he's always drowned out by the gallery's reaction to his big putte. He basically ran off the green yelling and screaming. It was really pretty obnoxious.

When I make any birdie at any time, I fall to my knees, look skyward and point up, then I roll over on my back and kick my legs in the air, then I jump up dace a little jig and point to whomever I'm playing with and yell, "suck on that!".

CameronBornAndBred
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
When I make any birdie at any time, I fall to my knees, look skyward and point up, then I roll over on my back and kick my legs in the air, then I jump up dace a little jig and point to whomever I'm playing with and yell, "suck on that!".

LOL..now if Tiger did that, I would say maybe Throaty had a point.

rockymtn devil
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FnW3jlyAzkM&feature=related

Emotional celebrations are nothing new. The entire clip is 8 minutes, but to see two golfers running while they celebrate great shots, scroll forward to around the 4:30 mark.

captmojo
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
ESPN is following and broadcasting the front nine.

Clipsfan
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Tiger managed to not double the first (got a par) to Rocco's bogey so things look good for him.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm watching the live stream at www.usopen.com . Pretty good video quality.

Rocco just hit out of a bunker and bounced off a cart path real high, which in turn bounced off another cart path. Not looking good for this hole (5).

Edit: His 3rd shot isn't as bad as I thought it was going t obe.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh and in case you need another incentive to watch online - instead of commercials they just cut to a live shot of the beautiful San Diego coast.

At first I thought it was a still shot until I saw a bird fly by and then saw the waves were moving.

Tiger's got a 2 stroke lead right now but just landed in a tough bunker on a par 3.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Tiger made some bogies there to now remain only 1 stroke ahead (+2 vs. +3) as we go into #13 - a hole which has certainly produced some excitement this weekend.

Now's a good time to tune in folks - 1 stroke difference w/ 6 holes remaining...

Duke4Ever32
06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
The live feed on usopen.com is great!! I've never watched golf before, but this is making me a fan!! I'm not getting any work done this afternoon, though! :)

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not getting any work done this afternoon, though! :)

You and me both, my friend.

I have 2 laptops on my desk though - one here I'm working on and the other functioning as the TV.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Rocco takes a 1 stroke lead with 3 holes to play...

He made an very nice birdie putt while Tiger missed his from about half the distance.

Duke4Ever32
06-16-2008, 03:26 PM
It's funny - a mere 24 hours ago I had never even watched a total of 5 minutes of golf in my life. Now I can't get enough of this and I'm captivated by it! Great drama!

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Tiger's long putt for birdie on 16 was dead on but came up about 1 inch short. A punch in the gut.

Rocco's up a stroke w/ 2 holes left to play - exciting times.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Both got par on 17 - one hole left for Tiger to make up a stroke...

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
So on hole 18 Rocco gets on the green 3, Tiger in 2 - and my power goes out. It's still not back on - I'm using a laptop and my mobile data card to get internet.

Unfortunately, despite what is advertised, these things are slow as crap (and yes, I'm using Rev-A) so video is definitely out - I can barely get these mostly text-only pages to come up.

Can someone provide me a play by play as we go to sudden death (I found out they both 2-putted to force sudden death by having to call a friend).

DevilAlumna
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, let's just say Ymo's bet against the field was a wise one.

Kudos to Rocco, but Tiger is, well, TIGER!

-jk
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Rocco landed one next to the bleachers. Had to take a drop. Tiger wins.

-jk

blazindw
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Tiger wins on the first sudden death hole. Rocco hit into the fairway bunker and then hit his 2nd shot against the grandstands. He hits from the free drop zone to about 20 feet. Meanwhile, Tiger got on the green in 2 and 2 putted to a par. Rocco misses his 20 footer by a few inches, and Tiger's your winner.

Wow, a classic U.S. Open. Tiger is forever my favorite, but Rocco Mediate has moved up my list of favorites after this performance.

snowdenscold
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Sort of a sad way to end it. Kinda bummed I couldn't watch it.

-jk
06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Sort of a sad way to end it. Kinda bummed I couldn't watch it.

I'm sure it'll be on youtube shortly.

-jk

Duke4Ever32
06-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I wish Rocco had won (I love the underdog) but this was some great drama and entertainment - especially for someone who didn't know or care a lick about golf until about this time yesterday. Kudos to both Tiger and Rocco!

Lavabe
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
It doesn't look like Ymo's bet on the field would have cost him some money.:D

OZZIE4DUKE
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow, a classic U.S. Open. Tiger is forever my favorite, but Rocco Mediate has moved up my list of favorites after this performance.

I second this motion! Rocco put up a helluva battle, but once he didn't win it in regulation, I thought Tiger would end it quickly. I'm just surprised he left the birdie putt short (like he did the eagle putt on 18).

Great match, great for golf. Congratulations to both Tiger and Rocco.

YmoBeThere
06-16-2008, 07:39 PM
The longer it lasted, the more I wanted Mediate to win...heck Jack Nicklaus finished second in majors how many times?

CameronBornAndBred
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
That Was Awesome!!! All of it. What a great tourney.

dukemomLA
06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
As a HUGE Tiger Woods fan for years, this is the first (and only) time when I didn't have a favorite. Rocco is a wonderful, fan-pleasing opponent. He deserves success, and this would have been a signature win of his career. But I also believe that is a signature loss. NO ONE has taken Tiger to the wire like this. A classic.

I'm thrilled that Rocco has moved WAY up the rankings. He's my new Paine Stewart. Such a gracious and honest man. So along with my endless GO TIGER, I add GO ROCCO.

Exciting to read posts of folks have now been introduced to the fun of watching golf. The former "sedate" manner and British-like clapping is gone. And for the better. Screaming fans and "in the hole" chants will bring more and more fans to golf. (As long as they learn the etiquette of not snapping pics or making noise or moving around during shots).

Such a fabulous U.S. Open. (Something to occupy time until the Olympic Trials next week............and of course, until NCAA BB starts).

killerleft
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
What a tournament!

I was pulling for Rocco to win. I love Tiger. But when you balance out what the win would mean to each of them there was no contest. Both played great golf. I was a little surprised that Rocco did so well in the playoff, he handled the pressure with aplomb. He had the chance to put it away on a short par-5 and couldn't do the deal.

The course was as fair as any US Open I can remember.

dukemomLA
06-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Agree with last post. I'm a HUGE Tiger fan. This is the first (probably last) time which I was conflicted about the outcome.

I also LOVE Rocco M. So...as time went on, I would have been happy with either win. Hard to root against Rocco.

I think this the most exciting and memorable USOpen ever!! Rivalled (coming in second place by me) by Tiger's win at Pebble Beach by 15 strokes.

What a week-end PLUS. Major kudos to Rocco!!!!