PDA

View Full Version : Things about BB you can learn from Wiki

throatybeard
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Manute Bol had a playing weight of just 220 lbs and he current lives in Olathe KS.

Both he and Gheorghe Muresan had pituitary disorders and average-sized parents.

Brian Davis' middle name is Keith.

Robert Horry was drafted after Christian, Adam Keefe, Todd Day. Walt Williams, and just before Malik Sealy (RIP), notable NBA bust Harold Miner, and Bryant Stith.

Maybe I live under a rock, but I had no idea Al Horford is Dominican.

Dell Curry and Scott Skiles were in the so-called "cursed draft" of 1986.

Adonal Foyle's last contract was 6Y for $42M!

Obinna Ekeize was in the trade that swapped, among others, Christian and Juwan Howard.

Serge Zwikker almost made the 1R of the NBA draft (30th, 1st pick of the 2R)

DeJuan Wheat is UL's 2nd all-time leading scorer but never played an NBA game.

Jamal Mashburn is one of only 6 NBA players to avg 20 ppg in his final season. (Jordan, West, Bird, and the untimely dead Petrovic and Lewis).

Bob Hurley (SR) won the 2007-08 HS championship at St Anthony's; that makes 23 for him as a head coach.

billybreen
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
There's very little you can learn about billybreen on wiki.

DevilAlumna
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
That could be remedied... :D

billybreen
06-08-2008, 11:46 PM
That could be remedied... :D

Not for long. I highly doubt I meet the interestingness bar for articles, so billybreen-related content would not last long.

Now, an article on DBR may be warranted given the size of the site. Then maybe we could slip in one line about me. Maybe something like: "DBR has a very active forum community. The user with the highest post count is some no-life tool named 'billybreen.'"

bdh21
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
O.J. Mayo's real name is Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo

throatybeard
06-09-2008, 12:56 AM

You can learn a lot from our mutual exgf, Reese.

billybreen
06-09-2008, 01:02 AM
You can learn a lot from our mutual exgf, Reese.

My sister is naming her unborn second daughter 'Reese.' What was that you were saying about trendy names?

OZZIE4DUKE
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM

I honestly expected to read a thread on billybreen too!

Shammrog
06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Manute Bol had a playing weight of just 220 lbs and he current lives in Olathe KS.

Brian Davis' middle name is Keith.

Robert Horry was drafted after Christian, Adam Keefe, Todd Day. Walt Williams, and just before Malik Sealy (RIP), notable NBA bust Harold Miner, and Bryant Stith.

Maybe I live under a rock, but I had no idea Al Horford is Dominican.

Dell Curry and Scott Skiles were in the so-called "cursed draft" of 1986.

Adonal Foyle's last contract was 6Y for $42M!

Obinna Ekeize was in the trade that swapped, among others, Christian and Juwan Howard.

Serge Zwikker almost made the 1R of the NBA draft (30th, 1st pick of the 2R)

DeJuan Wheat is UL's 2nd all-time leading scorer but never played an NBA game.

Jamal Mashburn is one of only 6 NBA players to avg 20 ppg in his final season. (Jordan, West, Bird, and the untimely dead Petrovic and Lewis).

Bob Hurley (SR) won the 2007-08 HS championship at St Anthony's; that makes 23 for him as a head coach.

Be careful with wikipedia. It is great for the most part, but I've caught inaccuracies before. IIRC (will check), Manute Bol comes from a very tall line of people. His grandfather was one of the tallest men on Earth (7'11"), and I think both his parents were close to 7 feet. Like I said, I will check again, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

Indoor66
06-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Be careful with wikipedia. It is great for the most part, but I've caught inaccuracies before. IIRC (will check), Manute Bol comes from a very tall line of people. His grandfather was one of the tallest men on Earth (7'11"), and I think both his parents were close to 7 feet. Like I said, I will check again, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

IRRC, Bol is from the Dinka Tribe - a very tallllllllllllll group of indviduals!

bdh21
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM

That's what I love about wikipedia... It's like playing russian roulette with facts instead of bullets.

Shammrog
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
His maternal grandfather was 7'10". His mother was 6'10", his father 6'8". He has a younger sister who is 6'10".

Kind of a tall family.

Lavabe
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I honestly expected to read a thread on billybreen too!

Hey, what makes you think they'd have a listing for billybreen if they haven't a listing for Patrick Davidson?;)

crimsondevil
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Umm, I don't see any mention of this on Bol's wiki page. Muresan's page says that "unlike Bol, his great height is the result of a pituitary disorder".

FWIW, studies have shown that Wikipedia is quite accurate - one said that it was more so than Encyclopedia Brittanica.

throatybeard
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Umm, I don't see any mention of this on Bol's wiki page. Muresan's page says that "unlike Bol, his great height is the result of a pituitary disorder".

Me no read so good.

FWIW, studies have shown that Wikipedia is quite accurate - one said that it was more so than Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Word. Read about that study in The Economist last year. Most folks trashing Wiki seem to know little about how it works.

billybreen
06-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Word. Read about that study in The Economist last year. Most folks trashing Wiki seem to know little about how it works.

So, you're saying it's the Fair Tax of online knowledge repositories?

Oops, wrong board.

Jarhead
06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I have studied this issue very carefully, and aside from the fact that I don't know what everybody is talking about, I remain non-committal on the whole issue.

billybreen
06-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I have studied this issue very carefully, and aside from the fact that I don't know what everybody is talking about, I remain non-committal on the whole issue.

:)

I owe you a response over on the other board.

Edouble
06-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Perhaps 6'8" and 6'10" are average heights for Dinkas?