PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite baseball player of all time?

throatybeard
06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I have some "pre-me" favorites like Aaron, Koufax, Clemente and Gehrig (despite his playing for the NYY). But your real favorites have to be people you saw, right?

Despite my fetish for pre-steroid era ERAs, I have to vote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pendleton Terry Pendleton over Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz and non-Braves favorites of mine like Kelly Gruber, Joe Carter, Andy Van Slyke and others.

I just loved his Indian summer with the Braves (so short!) and that he's a level-headed, tubby 3B with sort of deceptive power. And that one line drive he snared, when the announcers talked about how he played basketball in HS.

pfrduke
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Pre-me - Mays, Gehrig, Robinson, and Satchel Paige.

Angels - Wally Joyner, Chuck Finley, Tim Salmon, Gary DiSarcina, Howie Kendrick, John Lackey, and my all-time favorite - Vlad Guerrero.

Non-Angels - Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, Dave Stewart, Orel Hershiser (my high-school baseball coach nicknamed me "Bulldog" after Orel), Maddux, Jake Peavy.

Guerrero is just so much fun to watch - he swings at everything, he can hit everything, he swings from the heels, and he typically has a huge smile on his face. Plus, back in the day, he had an absolute cannon arm (it's become less impressive as he's grown older), and seeing guys gunned down on the bases from the outfield is among the most satisfying things to see in a baseball game.

EarlJam
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
My Top Five Favorites (of my era / those I saw):

5. Dale Murphy - very good player, GREAT guy and role model
4. Fred Lynn - Never wore batting gloves. He was the reason I chose #19 as my baseball / softball uniform number through my all-star career.
3. Chipper Jones - The modern day Mickey Mantle (though Mickey would play through more injuries)
2. George Brett - Tough as nails. Who can forget the P.T.I.? Also as loyal as they come.

And coming in at a unanimous #1.....

1. Cal Ripken Jr. - Words can't express it.

Honorable Mention:

-Eddie Murray
-Kirk Gibson
-Mike Schmidt
-Kirby Puckett
-Tony Gwynn

Great Thread!

-EarlJam

hc5duke
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Pre-me: Nolan Ryan
Astros: Craig Biggio
non-Astro: Not sure... I'll say Derek Jeter but I might have to think about this one

DevilAlumna
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Tied for 2nd - Ryne Sandburg and Mark Grace;
1st - Cal Ripken Jr.

Ben63
06-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Pre-me- Roberto Clemente

Cubs- Carlos Zambrano, Derrek Lee

Non-Cub- Cal Ripken, David Ortiz, Randy Johnson

pfrduke
06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
3. Chipper Jones - The modern day Mickey Mantle (though Mickey would play through more injuries)

And more hangovers - zing!

dukemomLA
06-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Okay....I have to admit that I will be 60 in a few months, and attended my first baseball game at age 4. So....I have lots of ground to cover.

I feel honored to have seen so many GREATS play ball. That being said, there are too many 'favorites' to list here -- unless my post went on forever.

Off the top of my head, I count Nolan Ryan as my favorite of all time. Many I will kick myself for not listing, but the following come to mind:

(all of which I am pleased/embarrassed to say I've seen play many, many times.

(in no particular order):
Willie Mays
Sandy Koufax
Hank Aaron
Roberto Clemente
Willie Stargell
Ozzie Smith
Al Kaline
Cap Ripken, Jr
Bob Gibson
Pee Wee Reese
Frank Robinson
Brooks Robinson
Ricky Henderson
Tom Seaver
Yogi Berra
Tug McGraw
Tony Gwynn
.....ah, so many more. (After a good night's sleep, I'll probably post again, saying OMG, I can't believe I forgot.... others to come.

jimbonelson
06-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Cal Ripkin Jr he is from my hometown:)

YmoBeThere
06-09-2008, 05:34 AM
pre-me: Sandy Koufax, Roy Campanella
my era:
#1 Mike Piazza
#2 Albert Pujols
#3 Rickey Henderson
#4 Pedro Martinez
#5 Eddie Murray

pamtar
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Thats an easy one. 1) Ken Griffey Jr. 2) Ozzie Smith

OZZIE4DUKE
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Mickey Mantle, Mr. Yankee.

No one else even comes close.

allenmurray
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Brooks Robinson - I'm not sure we will ever see another defensive performance like his in the 1970 Wrold Series.

BlueDevilBaby
06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
As a youngster, Buck Dent because I'm a Yankees fan and was a shortstop as well. And he was just so cute.

Now, Derek Jeter and Cal Ripken. Still have a thing for shortstops.

dkbaseball
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
1. Tom Seaver
2. Greg Maddux
3. Willie Mays
4. Bob Horner (quickest bat I ever saw, and the best college hitter ever; a certain HOFer if not for injuries).
5. Brooks Robinson
6. George Brett

Most impressive skill I've seen on a baseball diamond -- Johnny Bench's arm

Micah Owings might make this list eventually. Maybe the best hitting pitcher in the majors since Babe Ruth (and like Ruth, I think he needs to be made a position player), and the only really big baseball player I've ever seen who's a terrific athlete and competitor. A few weeks ago he fielded a grounder between the mound and first, the first baseman was off the bag to field the ball, so Owings dives at the bag to beat the runner by a hair -- all 6'6" of him.

edit -- well, OK, I guess you'd have to say Dave Winfield was a pretty good athlete at 6-7. Drafted by MLB, the NBA and the NFL. Best college hitter and pitcher in 1973.

dkbaseball
06-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Brooks Robinson - I'm not sure we will ever see another defensive performance like his in the 1970 Wrold Series.

I was talking with Tom Butters the day after that game (in more technologically challenged times) and he said that he wished he could make a video of those plays by Brooks, show it to his teams every year and tell them: "That's what the game of baseball is all about."

DukeDude
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Michael Jack Schmidt. As a Phillies fan, there is not a lot to choose from, but there is no doubt Schmidt was one of the best ever.

micah75
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
1) Ruben Amaro
2) Tito Fuentes
3) Clay Dalrymple
4) Mickey Stanley
5) Don Blasingame

Ok, just kidding. But they were well-known role players from the 60's.

My A list:

1) Nellie Fox --- my Dad's favorite player, being a WS fan. My first glove as a 5 yr old had Fox's sig on it.

2) Sandy Koufax --- what an amazing 5 or 6 year stretch from around '62 to '67.

3) Felipe Alou --- we used to try to sit along the left field line in Atlanta and my Dad would keep shouting "Hi!" to Felipe until he waved "hi" back.

4) Hank Aaron --- my perception was that he didn't quite get the respect he deserved at the time, that Mantle and Mays got more media attention.

5) Willie Mays --- consistently put up huge numbers, often flirting with .400 well into June.

6) Tommy John --- started out with the White Sox, then made that unprecedented comeback with the Dodgers after shoulder surgery.

7) Jonny Bench --- probably the greatest catcher ever. In only his 3rd full season, hit .293 with 45 home runs and 148 RBI back when 115 RBI would usually be good enough for MVP.

Indoor66
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Richie Ashburn & Del Ennis

hurleyfor3
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Among players I actually saw, Reggie Jackson. A close second would be Roger Clemens in his Red Sox days. Say what you want about him, he consistantly dominated.

riverside6
06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Pre-me: Mickey Mantle - the guy my dad grew up loving

Me...
1. Greg Maddux
2. Ken Griffey Jr
3. Ryne Sandberg

My son...

1. A-Rod
2. David Ortiz
3. Joba Chamberlain

Chicago 1995
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Pre-me: Ted Williams

Me: Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Jason Varitek, Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Wade Boggs

Non-Red Sox, retired players division: Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson

Active, non-Red Sox, David Wright, Derrick Lee

ugadevil
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Ken Griffey Jr.

Pre-me: Joe DiMaggio

Tommac
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Micky Mantle, Catfish Hunter, Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly, Chipper Jones, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Marcus Giles ('cause I'm short), Dale Murphy

camion
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
5. Cal Ripkin Jr. - He would be higher if I saw him play more.

4. Yogi Berra - Most fun interview and a great player.

3. Mickey Mantle - My baseball hero when I was a kid.

2. Greg Maddux - In his prime he would just baffle hitters with his 88 MPH heat.

1. Hank Aaron - I liked him when he played and that like has grown over the years.

Note: Chipper is my favorite current player and he will probably crack the top five soon. I'll give an honorable mention not to Knucksie, Phil Niekro because I was a knuckle ball pitcher myself at one time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm a "some time" baseball fan..... in recent years I've watched games when there were special circumstances surrounding games. My memories growing up include in the summers watching on our new TV (circa 1954) because my brother was a big fan. I loved following the home run race one season between the Yankees' M and M. So many other names have been mentioned..... Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and on and on. Most recently it's Cal Ripkin, Jr. who's taken on a near hero status for me.

SoCalDukeFan
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
As an old guy from Philly, second would be Richie Ashburn.

Last year I went to a dinner where Robets was the speaker. By luck, sat at his table. Great guy. Great story teller.

Others Henry Aaron, Willie Mays, Richie Allen.

SoCal

Turk
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Pre-me:
Ted Williams, DiMaggio, Bob Gibson, Warren Spahn, Richie Allen, Sal "The Barber" Maglie, Satchel Paige, Eddie Gaedel

Pirates:
Maz (pre-me), Clemente, Stargell, Steve Blass, Manny Sanguillen, Ed Ott, Andy "The Quote Machine" Van Slyke, Bobby Bonilla, Doug Drabek

Others:
Hank Aaron, Eddie Murray, Nolan Ryan, Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken, John Kruk, Luis Tiant, Kirk Gibson, George Brett, Kirby Puckett, Ozzie Smith, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor

Looking at this list, there is no doubt I'm officially a geezer... There's no one on this list that hit their prime after 1995, and I have boring stories about me and my buddies trying to sneak little transistor AM radios past the nuns to listen to the World Series in the early 70s...

The good news is I can now eat corn-on-the-cob with my new dentures, so I have that going for me...

Turk

captmojo
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
1) Mickey.
If only he'd lived right.........and not tripped on that sprinkler head.
2) A name I have yet to see....YAZ
The bat with his signature felt the best in my hands. I once saw him throw a guy out, tagging from third, on a caught fly-out that was up against the "monster" in Fenway. The throw was a liner that was caught by the catcher on the fly. I doubt if it was ever more than ten feet off the ground.
3) Willie Mays has my vote as the best all-around player I have yet to see.

YmoBeThere
06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I can't believe all the players I left off my list. Particularly KG Jr. and A-rod. I saw them both in A-rod's rookie season in Seattle. Tiles fell off the Kingdome roof that night...

devildeac
06-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Michael Jack Schmidt. As a Phillies fan, there is not a lot to choose from, but there is no doubt Schmidt was one of the best ever.

I will go with Cal but give my 2nd place vote to Mike Schmidt as I am a long time fan of one of the most futile franchises in NL history:o. Gotta love the guy. The Philadelphia fans even booed this guy (oh, wait a minute, they booed just about everybody-they even booed Santa Claus one year:o)

dukemomLA
06-10-2008, 04:42 AM
As a lifelong Mets fan, I remember Richie Ashburn as one of the Original Mets, managed by Casey Stengel. The '69 Miracle Mets win is still one of the highlights of my life.

If the Mets can't pull it together this year, I am rooting mightily for the Cubbies. PLEASE. They so deserve a much-too-denied World Series ring.

merry
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I wish I could add something clever and unique to this thread but...my favs are Ripkin and Maddux.

cspan37421
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
let me list a few that were great fun to watch, whether or not they were HoF material:

Mark Fidrych (talking to the ball, cultivating the mound, winning 19 as a rookie on a perennial .400 team)
Mickey Rivers (an infield grounder was no sure out with his speed. Great for quotes, too "My jobs are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury prone.")
Kent Tekulve (submarine style delivery appealed to me. Did Quisenberry do it too?)
Joe Morgan (for the half-a-chicken-dance at-bat twitch. GREAT announcer)

For sheer hustle and grit:
George Brett (last to seriously flirt with .400?)
Pete Rose (player, not manager; the headfirst slide)
Rickey Henderson (I love the stolen base)

Managerial Dept:
Earl Weaver
Tommy Lasorda
Billy Martin

dkbaseball
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
The '69 Miracle Mets win is still one of the highlights of my life.

Maybe it's the influence of the New York media mega-hype, but I've always thought of the '69 Miracle Mets as THE sports highlight of my life, with Namath's Jets winning the Super Bowl the same year as a close second.

Dukemom: How can you be a Mets fan and leave Tom Terrific off your list of favs?

MrBisonDevil
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Josh Gibson, Roy Campanella, Roberto Clemente, Reggie Jackson, Joe Morgan, Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken, Barry Bonds & Ken Griffey Jr.

Johnboy
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Major Leaguer: Cal Ripken

"On the earth" - that would be my 10 year old son. Last Saturday, he pitched 6 innings, hit two home runs (5 RBI on the day), and played catcher for 4 innings in a doubleheader for the league championship. His team won 10-1 and 11-1 (mercy rule when my boy's second homer ended the 2nd game in the 4th inning) - all against a team that had beaten them soundly the last time they played.

Oh, and he's on the "All A" honor roll for the year (4th grade).

John"proud Dad"boy

2535Miles
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Tied for 2nd - Ryne Sandburg and Mark Grace;
1st - Cal Ripken Jr.

Pre-me- Roberto Clemente

Cubs- Carlos Zambrano, Derrek Lee

Non-Cub- Cal Ripken, David Ortiz, Randy Johnson

Pre-me: Mickey Mantle - the guy my dad grew up loving

Me...
1. Greg Maddux
2. Ken Griffey Jr
3. Ryne Sandberg

My son...

1. A-Rod
2. David Ortiz
3. Joba Chamberlain

Pre-me: Ted Williams

Me: Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Jason Varitek, Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Wade Boggs

Non-Red Sox, retired players division: Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson

Active, non-Red Sox, David Wright, Derrick Lee
Can I pick the whole 88 Cubs Roster? If not, Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson are tied for first, with Mark Grace coming closely behind. My first MLB game ever was on summer vacation in 88 at Wrigley.

Bostondevil
06-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Pre-me: Ernie Banks

My childhood (a Reds fan like my dad): Joe Morgan (cspan, I thought I might be the only one!)

My adulthood (I became a Red Sox fan on April 29, 1986): I can't say Roger Clemens because, well, but he did make me a Red Sox fan and for that I am grateful. Favorite player right now is Mike Lowell. My son's favorite players are in order: oldest - Jacoby Ellsbury, number 2 son - Manny Ramirez, number 3 son - David Ortiz, youngest - Kevin Youkilis or as he calls him, Lookalis

Favorite retired that I saw play: Andrew Dawson, Rickey Henderson, Bob Horner for July 5th, 1986 - I was there for his 4 home runs (Dawson hit one too).

rasputin
06-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Before my time:
6 Honus Wagner
5 Satchel Paige
4 Jackie Robinson
3 Stan Musial (I'm old enough to have seen him play, but never saw him in person)
2 Lou Gehrig
1 Babe Ruth (have autographed picture; my dad caddied for him in the 1930's)

During my time (I'm 50):
6 Willie Mays
5 Willie Stargell
4 Thurman Munson
3 Roger Maris
2 Derek Jeter
1 Roberto Clemente (I'm Robert; my first glove was a Clemente model; and man, could he throw)

honorable mention for some current players: Ken Griffey Jr., Kevin Youkilis, Mike Lowell, Dustin Pedroia (and I hate the Red Sox), Nick Markakis, Vladimir Guerrero

wilson
06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
There's Chipper Jones and John Smoltz, of course. If you have to ask, you don't know me. And I also have an inexplicable, very high regard for Jeff Blauser. Always loved the guy, dunno why. Clearly the greatest lifetime .262 hitter in MLB history. To round out my foursome, I only need one Julio Cesar Franco.
That is all.

ugadevil
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
There's Chipper Jones and John Smoltz, of course. If you have to ask, you don't know me. And I also have an inexplicable, very high regard for Jeff Blauser. Always loved the guy, dunno why. Clearly the greatest lifetime .262 hitter in MLB history. To round out my foursome, I only need one Julio Cesar Franco.
That is all.

I see your Jeff Blauser, and I raise you a Mark Lemke. I'm sure you could get a ton for those two trading cards.:rolleyes:

billybreen
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Definitely one of these dudes:

http://deadon.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/city_champs.jpg

hc5duke
06-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Definitely one of these dudes:

It's a shame they didn't pick Barry Bonds instead of Griffey Jr.
http://nbadraft.net/actor/kengriffeyjrsimpsons.jpg