PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Jim McKay

OZZIE4DUKE
06-07-2008, 10:13 AM
ESPN just announced that sportscaster Jim McKay has died. Condolences to his family, including Duke grad son Sean McManus, current president of CBS Sports and News.

Jim's voice will be missed by all who love sports on television.

captmojo
06-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Spanning the globe.........

The entire world mourns. Me too.

DevilHorse
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I will miss Jim Mckay..

He was the gentle voice that was chosen to anchor the events during the 1972 olympic tragedy of events in Munich; I can never forget the moment when he punctuated their coverage when he said, " their all gone." Followed by intense silence.

He was also a big horse person, very involved with the Maryland Millions program. He would have been very keen on today's big race at Belmont. It is too bad that he did not get a chance to see another triple crown winner.

A great representative of his profession.

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilDan
06-07-2008, 11:33 AM
God Love Jim McKay ... my generation grew up with his coverage of so many sports. He was the reason I watched the sports I liked, and the ones I didn't otherwise follow. He seemed like an average guy--one of us--who was just as excited to see the competitions as we were.

Whether it was the Triple Crown, the Olympics, the US Open, or Wide World, he anchored the programs with grace, honor, and dignity. I am so thankful that he lived a long and fruitful life.

RIP, Jim.

We miss our friend.

Lavabe
06-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I feel like part of my childhood passed away.

He was, by all accounts, a gentleman and a sportsman.

To continue captmojo's lead:
"to bring you the constant variety of sport ... The thrill of victory..."

Thanks for everything Jim!!

Cdog923
06-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Admittedly, I'm not old enough to remember McKay's heyday on WWOS. However, my mother and I are big horse racing fans, and I can always clearly remember McKay's impact on many of the Triple Crown races over the years. It would be fitting to have Big Brown win today, considering McKay considered horse racing his favorite sport.

RIP

BobbyFan
06-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Nostalgic video from the 84 Olympics featuring giants like McKay, Cosell, and Keith Jackson along with some big name (and soon to be big-name) athletes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uWDzXKMC-jk

throatybeard
06-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty young, and even my generation grew up with him, especially for these horse races, but also the Olympics esp. 1984 and 1988.

Roone Arledge and Jim McKay both. It always seems dumb to say too soon about some who's 86 (or 80 or 90 or 95), but too soon anyway.

rthomas
06-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Munich 1972 Summer games.

roywhite
06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Admittedly, I'm not old enough to remember McKay's heyday on WWOS. However, my mother and I are big horse racing fans, and I can always clearly remember McKay's impact on many of the Triple Crown races over the years. It would be fitting to have Big Brown win today, considering McKay considered horse racing his favorite sport.

RIP

RIP to Jim McKay, but he didn't miss a Triple Crown. Surprising flop by Big Brown; injury?

hurleyfor3
06-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Bob Costas called him "the voice of the Olympics". It says something that a rival network (NBC) twice asked him to do Olympic commentary.

One of several reasons why ABC did the Olympics better than anyone.

willywoody
06-14-2008, 12:45 AM
HBO ran the Mckay documentary last night, don't know if it's scheduled to run again. it's a great show, really brings back the memories as well as being very personal and forthright. catch it if it comes back on.