PDA

View Full Version : Anxious Fan Here.......

CMS2478
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Ok, so I know this has been discussed at great lenght and I don't want to open the can of worms back up.........But, I have heard some posters on here Bob Green, Jumbo (I think), etc. saying that they know for sure Josh is gone. I am still anxiously awaiting that decision in hopes that they are wrong, but if they are right and Josh leaves...........Has anyone heard when he might announce his decision. If he does leave, wouldn't it be better for us if he would go ahead and announce bc that could affect Patterson coming or not. I would guess if Josh leaves that means more PT for Patterson and would increase the likelyhood that he would come to Duke. I'm not wishing Josh would hurry up and leave, bc I hope he comes back, but if he is going to leave............the sooner the better IMO, in regards to landing Patterson. Anybody have any clues on this matter :confused:

willywoody
03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
i doubt any announcements will come before the bball banquet which is not until april.

CMS2478
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
i doubt any announcements will come before the bball banquet which is not until april.

If you are right I guess I will have to be patient a little longer.........but the fear of the UNKNOWN is killing me. :eek:

Kewlswim
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I know that a lot of people in the "know" have stated Josh is leaving. If indeed that is the case, Josh is entitled to change his mind. If Josh were certain he probably would announce this moment. People in the program might even be asking him to wait to think about things. If, in fact, Patterson coming to Duke has to do with whether or not Josh was around, I think Josh would do his best to help the team as much as possible. I know that Fienstein said a few uncomplimentary things about Josh (please take those with a grain of salt, John says a lot of things), but there is no indication that Josh is, for example, vindictive and would want to intentionally hurt the program.

People when they have important decisions to make often vacilate. How many times, I wonder, has Patterson been privately "sure" he is going to school X, only to talk to coach from school y and decide, well maybe he wasn't so sure after all. Give Josh time. He will make the right decision for him. If he leaves now, in my opinion, he will ride the pine in the NBA and rake in lots of money. If he leaves in a year, he will probably be more accomplished in his baskeball skills and perhaps not ride the pine as much in the NBA and will have lots of money coming.

Not that anyone cares, but I would find it hard to keep my son from going to the NBA in the situation Josh is in--BUT I WOULD DO MY BEST TO KEEP HIM FROM DOING IT. I've had the luck, and one makes ones own luck in a lot of ways, of being quite successful in many ways. Life is about relationships and learning experiences. Josh is in a great place and the money will come. Certainly he risks some of it by not going now. I would take out some sort of an insurance policy to at least give him a floor if he had a Shaun type injury in college. I think Lloyds would underwrite that. Sometimes it is hard to delay monetary gratification, although we live in a society that extolls immediate gratification.

GO DUKE!

CMS2478
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I know that a lot of people in the "know" have stated Josh is leaving. If indeed that is the case, Josh is entitled to change his mind. If Josh were certain he probably would announce this moment. People in the program might even be asking him to wait to think about things. If, in fact, Patterson coming to Duke has to do with whether or not Josh was around, I think Josh would do his best to help the team as much as possible. I know that Fienstein said a few uncomplimentary things about Josh (please take those with a grain of salt, John says a lot of things), but there is no indication that Josh is, for example, vindictive and would want to intentionally hurt the program.

People when they have important decisions to make often vacilate. How many times, I wonder, has Patterson been privately "sure" he is going to school X, only to talk to coach from school y and decide, well maybe he wasn't so sure after all. Give Josh time. He will make the right decision for him. If he leaves now, in my opinion, he will ride the pine in the NBA and rake in lots of money. If he leaves in a year, he will probably be more accomplished in his baskeball skills and perhaps not ride the pine as much in the NBA and will have lots of money coming.

Not that anyone cares, but I would find it hard to keep my son from going to the NBA in the situation Josh is in--BUT I WOULD DO MY BEST TO KEEP HIM FROM DOING IT. I've had the luck, and one makes ones own luck in a lot of ways, of being quite successful in many ways. Life is about relationships and learning experiences. Josh is in a great place and the money will come. Certainly he risks some of it by not going now. I would take out some sort of an insurance policy to at least give him a floor if he had a Shaun type injury in college. I think Lloyds would underwrite that. Sometimes it is hard to delay monetary gratification, although we live in a society that extolls immediate gratification.

GO DUKE!

I have often argued with people that although I would like to see people stay in college, you can't blame them for leaving. You risk injury and why do you go to college in the first place? To prepare for your profession. If one or two years of playing college ball gets you ready, than why stay??? You can always go back to school and get your diploma. The NBA, however, MAY NOT always be calling.

mgtr
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
This argument goes on and on. I wonder what the great players who stayed four years (Larry Bird, for example) think about it, vs those who didn't (such as Michael Jordan). They probably don't want to get in the middle.

dukepsy1963
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
This argument goes on and on. I wonder what the great players who stayed four years (Larry Bird, for example) think about it, vs those who didn't (such as Michael Jordan). They probably don't want to get in the middle.

I think that Michael J. went back and finished as per his mother's wishes.

dockfan
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Plus, the more people speculate or assume that Josh is going pro (not necessarily on these boards, but among the draft "pundits"), the more I think Josh might come back. He seems like the kind of kid that will do his own thing just to prove people wrong and show his independence, in a way.

I'm thinking about Josh's many quotes this season about people always trying to define him as a player and box him in - he should score more, he should post up more, he should demand the ball, he shouldn't drift on the perimeter, etc., etc., etc.

That's why this seems so unpredictable to me - Josh is a pretty unique individual. He may actually relish the thought of having Singler et al. to rely upon more next year, and be the sort of distributor (role player?) he has often seemingly wanted to be.

Who really knows, except Josh?

VaDukie
03-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I've thought about that a lot dockfan. I think with Singler there to take off some pressure down low and the emergence of GH, next year could be a lot more fun for Josh than riding the pine in the NBA.

ikiru36
03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Plus, the more people speculate or assume that Josh is going pro (not necessarily on these boards, but among the draft "pundits"), the more I think Josh might come back. He seems like the kind of kid that will do his own thing just to prove people wrong and show his independence, in a way.

I'm thinking about Josh's many quotes this season about people always trying to define him as a player and box him in - he should score more, he should post up more, he should demand the ball, he shouldn't drift on the perimeter, etc., etc., etc.

That's why this seems so unpredictable to me - Josh is a pretty unique individual. He may actually relish the thought of having Singler et al. to rely upon more next year, and be the sort of distributor (role player?) he has often seemingly wanted to be.

Who really knows, except Josh?

I would love for Josh to stay and can see plenty of valid arguments for him to make either decision, even if he loves Duke and would love to win a National Championship here. I also have absolutely no inside information as regards his intentions.

The one thing I will point out is that even if he has not yet let his decision be officially known, some people might know with absolute certainty that he is leaving if he has forfeited his eligibility by making contract with an agent. Once again, I have ZERO knowledge of this and am simply tossing out a hypothetical rationale for trusting those who say they KNOW.

As for Patterson, who I think would be a great fit at Duke (for him and us), if something like the above were the case, Coach K can probably share such information with him so that we wouldn't be at any recruiting disadvantage
while simultaneously protecting whatever interests of Josh might be served by not announcing his intentions yet.

Just a thought to allow us to wait Josh out while not fearing that his decision is negatively affecting recruiting in any way.

Go Lady Devils!!!! Go Duke!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!

mjones723
03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
We'll be fine bro. No need to worry.