PDA

View Full Version : Cut, Etc.

GADevilFan
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I am new here as well. Have been truly enjoying this website during these long dog days of summer without football or real basketball (NOT an NBA fan).

Obviously, it was Duke basketball that made me a fan (I am not an alum); my parents' ancient cat is named Hurley, courtsey of my younger sister. I am also currently enjoying the Encyclopedia of Duke Basketball, which I ordered off of the Gothic Bookstore site.

However, I find the football situation fascinating at the moment. I did grad school at Ole Miss -- and Cut really turned us around for a few years -- a very exciting time. If everyone will be patient and the admin stays behind the effort..... I predict definite inprovement. It will be a lot of fun to follow. I really hope the Blue Devils can win that first game for there new coach.

I would assume that if the support is there, Duke can do anything better than Wake.

Cdog923
06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Yea, it's good to find a place to talk some hoops, especially Duke hoops. On the football side, I'm a born and bred Nebraska Cornhusker fan (and a recent graduate). Regarding Duke football, Cut is probably the best coach that Duke football has had since the Visored One roamed the sidelines. He should be able to spark a turnaround.

OldPhiKap
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I am new here as well. Have been truly enjoying this website during these long dog days of summer without football or real basketball (NOT an NBA fan).

Obviously, it was Duke basketball that made me a fan (I am not an alum); my parents' ancient cat is named Hurley, courtsey of my younger sister. I am also currently enjoying the Encyclopedia of Duke Basketball, which I ordered off of the Gothic Bookstore site.

However, I find the football situation fascinating at the moment. I did grad school at Ole Miss -- and Cut really turned us around for a few years -- a very exciting time. If everyone will be patient and the admin stays behind the effort..... I predict definite inprovement. It will be a lot of fun to follow. I really hope the Blue Devils can win that first game for there new coach.

I would assume that if the support is there, Duke can do anything better than Wake.

Great first post. I think Duke will have patience with Cut, and the admin is finally motivated to address this situation.

Uncle Drew
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM

First welcome, read much and post more. My mom is from Cumming GA and I have relatives from Marietta to Cordele. One cousin in particular lives dead smack in Athens so I know first hand what a big deal SEC football is especially at UGA.

That being said a few months back when people were debating who Duke should go after and hire I had no opinion because the names for the most part weren't familiar to me. Even after the flack Duke got for not hiring a minority for the position I couldn't argue for or against Cut. But soon after it became very apparent the man came to Durham to make changes and would not be satisfied with the status quo mindset that has plagued Duke football for decades. That isn't to say he will be able to turn water into wine but the program has been so down he is essentially starting a program from scratch in many ways. I can't say I highly anticipate the upcoming season because I know especially in college football it takes quite a while to turn things around. But the information and quotes I have read since Coach Cut got hired have given some of us a light in the darkness to focus on and a glimmer of hope. Now being able to say he coached two super bowl winning QB's makes him sound even better. But I have a feeling genetics played a little role in that.

devilirium
06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I hope you're right about being competitive....we haven't defeated Wake in 9 years

GADevilFan
06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks! It is really surprising to me that the university allowed football to get so bad...... even a decent football team generates a lot of $$$$. With Duke, football has been losing money.Obviuosly, there was much apathy.

Certainly the fb team isn't going to suddenly go 11-0 this season, and the Manning gene pool certainly helped Cut....but I really think we shall see improvement soon... building to respectability and beyond. It will be fun to follow.

Uncle Drew
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Granted UGA is a state school and with years of the Georgia lottery paying citizens way through college it has deep, deep, DEEP pockets. But for any of you who haven't seen the UGA campus and Athens it is a very pretty town. However getting a look at the athletic facilities on campus is awe inspiring. Needless to say the football stadium is HUGE and filled to capacity every game. A full football stadium will make a school a lot more cash on average than a full basketball arena. But even UGA's facilities for womens gymnastics shows dedication to the sport and it's athletes. It's just my opinion, and anyone can say what they want about academics in comparison to Duke or any other ACC school. But nobody can say UGA doesn't spend to win.

That being said I have no doubts losing year after year and losing money due to that has voided would be improvements to the facilities at Duke over the years. Yes the ACC schools share bowl money and Duke has gotten it's share over the years from games it never came close to playing in. But via attendance alone I honestly think they have gone so far as to play all day games to save money on the electric bill.