PDA

View Full Version : Lawson is NBA ready!

markbdevil
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3002427/

Ignatius07
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Who's going to make the first drUNC joke? Not me, that's for sure.

Wasn't Redick's DUI almost exactly around the same time?

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Who's going to make the first drUNC joke? Not me, that's for sure.

Wasn't Redick's DUI almost exactly around the same time?

At least J.J. was old enough to drink! Geez Tequila Ty.

Wander
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Drinking after driving?

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I wonder if Ty will mention this on his myspace page.

Jaymf7
06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Interestingly, the article also suggests he was charged with driving on a revoked or suspended license (but does not say why it was revoked). That is much more of a red flag to me. Many people can make a mistake. Lawson just made his second and he is only 20.

Bluedog
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Interestingly, the article also suggests he was charged with driving on a revoked or suspended license (but does not say why it was revoked). That is much more of a red flag to me. Many people can make a mistake. Lawson just made his second and he is only 20.

It hasn't been released why his license was suspended or revoked, but he did get a speeding ticket in 2007 according to the DMV, so perhaps he didn't show up to court or something. Also, you need to renew your license at 20 (right?) in North Carolina, so it's also possible he just didn't go to renew it.

bigj4194
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
First the pictures of Hans-sucks-at-life jumping off of the SAE house...then Tequila Ty (thanks ugadevil-nice name) with drinking and driving while both underage...so high quality kids on the unc team - they will fit in perfectly in the NBA. claim all they want that it was a "mistake" but it just shows the true colors of UNC - red flags :)

bdh21
06-06-2008, 11:04 AM
First the pictures of Hans-sucks-at-life jumping off of the SAE house...then Tequila Ty (thanks ugadevil-nice name) with drinking and driving while both underage...so high quality kids on the unc team - they will fit in perfectly in the NBA. claim all they want that it was a "mistake" but it just shows the true colors of UNC - red flags :)

I feel awfully dirty sticking up for UNC, but you must not have heard the one about glass houses and throwing stones...

BlueintheFace
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I bet he also had a few MAI TY's in addition to his TYQUILA...

superdave
06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
This could either drop him to the 2nd round or make Ol' Roy push him out the door. Or both.

Either way a bonehead move.

sagegrouse
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
If Ty Lawson makes it in the NBA, this will be a very cheap lesson -- if he learns it.

Also, what will it take for sanity to prevail vs. the drinking age? This is just nuts!

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I feel awfully dirty sticking up for UNC, but you must not have heard the one about glass houses and throwing stones...

bdh21, I'm with you on this as far as the underage drinking goes. It was just last week that our QB and a DB were caught in chapel hill for the same offense, although (fortunately) they weren't driving after drinking. But Ty's other charges - driving with a revoked license, driving after drinking (we don't know what he blew, I'll assume it was under the 0.8 level that those 21 and over are held to so I won't call it DWI), are far more serious, at least showing a severe lack of judgment.

Sounds to me like he'll need that NBA paycheck to pay his legal fees :)

Also, it sounds to me like at least one officer on the chapel hill police force has it in for athletes, regardless of school affiliation. I wonder if it is a personal thing or a directive for the entire force? Sounds to me like all athletes should stay the heck out of chapel hill. Ty, Danny and Wayne, it is time to get out of Dodge! Tyler, to bad you can't reconsider your decision not to go to the NBA; after all, you're old enough to be these guys, um, very older brother.

SilkyJ
06-06-2008, 11:46 AM

This could either drop him to the 2nd round or make Ol' Roy push him out the door. Or both.

Either way a bonehead move.

Come on guys. Get over it. JJ did the same thing around the same time. Guy was having fun and made a dumb move. I'm sure he's learned his lesson and nothing about Ty seems like he is a bad guy.

And it will probably not affect draft status and roy will ABSOLUTELY not push him out the door. Get a clue.

That being said, I love the mai ty jokes.

Scorp4me
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Okay, I'm sorry but I work with kids and this is more than just a kid having a little fun and making a dumb move.

First off, the innocence of it stops when you get behind a wheel. I'm sorry, but it's nothing but stupid. You want to ask where the sanity of the situation is? Change DUI charges to attempted murder and then see how many people are stupid enough to get behind the wheel. Drinking and driving is nothing to simply brush off.

Second, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority here but underage drinking is out of hand. I know it used to be a college thing, then Seniors in high school did it on prom night, next it was happening at parties with all the kids. Now, I deal with Middle Schoolers not only doing it but openly doing it. I mean doing it and then posting it online for the world to see. And these are good kids too.

So forgive me if I appear as Chicken Little. But this is a serious problem. Ty did it and I'm not throwing stones at their house, I'm throwing stones at everyone's house.

SilkyJ
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
So forgive me if I appear as Chicken Little. But this is a serious problem. Ty did it and I'm not throwing stones at their house, I'm throwing stones at everyone's house.

That's more of what I'm getting at. Glass houses and whatnot.

CDu
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Okay, I'm sorry but I work with kids and this is more than just a kid having a little fun and making a dumb move.

First off, the innocence of it stops when you get behind a wheel. I'm sorry, but it's nothing but stupid. You want to ask where the sanity of the situation is? Change DUI charges to attempted murder and then see how many people are stupid enough to get behind the wheel. Drinking and driving is nothing to simply brush off.

Second, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority here but underage drinking is out of hand. I know it used to be a college thing, then Seniors in high school did it on prom night, next it was happening at parties with all the kids. Now, I deal with Middle Schoolers not only doing it but openly doing it. I mean doing it and then posting it online for the world to see. And these are good kids too.

Complaining about the problem of underage drinking is one thing. I completely agree with that. But making jokes about UNC and Lawson is another thing. People here get bent out of shape at UNC fans for making fun of Redick. Well, the same rule should apply when discussing Lawson.

There is nothing funny about drunk driving. Now, I don't know if he was drunk, or just had had drinks and because he's under 21 is breaking the law. In any case, it's not a laughing matter. But if people are going to complain about those that make jokess about Redick, then there shouldn't be jokes made about Lawson, either.

CameronBornAndBred
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
IF he comes back, I hope the Crazies shower him with chants of D-U-I. He totally deserves the shame and ridicule.

arnie
06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
This now makes Ty emminently qualified to be an assistant head coach for either the Holes or their minor league team in Charlotte (Bobcats).

I suspect you will hear from Deano fairly soon blasting the Chapel Hell police for profiling UNC athletes.

sandinmyshoes
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
He wasn't charged with a DUI was he? I wonder which is considered worse, legally, driving while drinking or with license revoked?

Bluedog
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM
He wasn't charged with a DUI was he? I wonder which is considered worse, legally, driving while drinking or with license revoked?

The thing I don't understand is it says he was charged with driving after drinking since he failed a field sobriety test. It wasn't because there was 0.01 BAC or more from a breathalyser test. Now, I've never had to take one of those myself, but I'm pretty sure I could pass a field sobriety test if I was under 0.08 (as I've been told what the tests are by a cop). So, I don't think it's likely he had just one or two beers if he failed the field test.

sandinmyshoes
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Chapel Hill police stopped Lawson while he was driving because he was playing his music too loud in his car. The officer reported smelling alcohol and gave Lawson a roadside portable Breathalyzer.

While that test confirmed Lawson had been drinking, the actual blood alcohol content was not available on the police report. Lawson was arrested because it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drive with any alcohol in their system.

Had Lawson blown a .08 or higher, he would have also been charged with driving while intoxicated. All three charges were misdemeanors, and Lawson was released on a written promise to appear in court on July 8.

Sounds as if he didn't have a high enough bac to be charged with DUI. But I wonder if the driving while drinking and being underage might not carry nearly the legal consequence that DUI does?

http://news14.com/content/top_stories/596357/unc-s-ty-lawson-arrested/Default.aspx

SilkyJ
06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
IF he comes back, I hope the Crazies shower him with chants of D-U-I. He totally deserves the shame and ridicule.

He absolutely does not. (I mean he does cause he's a hole, but that's a separate issue) I agree with CDu below.

let's all please get over ourselves. I know when I was at duke and even in high school I had a beer or a glass of wine or sometimes *GASP* TWO of them, and then drove a car. I'm not condoning drinking and driving, but having a beer and then driving is not a big deal.

not to mention we don't know exactly what happened yet, but the above post by sandinmyshoes would indicate that he was below the legal limit for 21 year olds. And frankly that's all I give a crap about. The drinking age ought to be 18 anyways.

So i'll stand by my earlier statement, he had a little fun and made a dumb move. Not a big deal at all. Wasn't even that dumb of a move if he blew below a .08. Frankly, that sounds like being reponsible to me. He had a beer or two and kept it under control. what's the big frickin deal??

Complaining about the problem of underage drinking is one thing. I completely agree with that. But making jokes about UNC and Lawson is another thing. People here get bent out of shape at UNC fans for making fun of Redick. Well, the same rule should apply when discussing Lawson.

There is nothing funny about drunk driving. Now, I don't know if he was drunk, or just had had drinks and because he's under 21 is breaking the law. In any case, it's not a laughing matter. But if people are going to complain about those that make jokess about Redick, then there shouldn't be jokes made about Lawson, either.

EarlJam
06-06-2008, 03:29 PM

If not, you do need to hear that one. One of Billy Joel's best.

"Friday night I crashed your party......"

-EarlJam, who, seriously, agrees somewhat mostly with bdh21's point.

CameronBornAndBred
06-06-2008, 04:55 PM
He absolutely does not. (I mean he does cause he's a hole, but that's a separate issue)

He had a beer or two and kept it under control. what's the big frickin deal??
He sure as hell does. And he didn't keep it under control. He leant enough suspicion to the officer that he got pulled over and given a breathalyzer.

Bob Green
06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
If I made a list of all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20, driving with a bac < .08 wouldn't crack the top 10. Hopefully, Ty Lawson learns from this mistake, moves forward with his life and achieves much success.

sandinmyshoes
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
He sure as hell does. And he didn't keep it under control. He leant enough suspicion to the officer that he got pulled over and given a breathalyzer.

Actually, he was pulled over for having his music too loud. It appears that is when the officer smelled alcohol. Perhaps even after he asked for his license and found it to be revoked. At which point I would imagine he asked him out of the car.

I think the Crazies could wave revoked licenses. Maybe blow up some with his picture on it and the word REVOKED stamped across it.

Although I think the odds of Lawson coming back to play college ball next year are pretty small.

jgflava
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM

According to the News and Observer, he took a Breathalyzer test. The reports do not disclose the results, but it was likely below .08 or else he would have been charged with DWI (it's not DUI in NC). He was charged with driving after consuming alcohol because he's under 21. He could have blown a .01 and he would have still been charged.

bdh21
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
If I made a list of all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20, driving with a bac < .08 wouldn't crack the top 10. Hopefully, Ty Lawson learns from this mistake, moves forward with his life and achieves much success.

Amen.

SilkyJ
06-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Suspicion! my goodness! And "given a breathalyzer." OH MY!

Are you out of your mind? Getting pulled over and given a breathalyzer? I've been pulled over AND given a breathalyzer too, does that mean I should be ridiculed even though I PASSED.

Really, do you have a reason for why he should be ridiculed other than an officer was suspicious of a black man playing loud music and gave said man a breathalyzer. Or maybe you're an engineer and don't drink/party ;)

Thank you.

jgflava
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
His license was suspended for not appearing in court for several traffic violations.

I'm a UNC fan and enjoyed watching Lawson play for my team, but I can't respect someone who thinks he is above the law. Driving with a suspended license is idiotic.

As for him getting the Breathalyzer, if a cop has any suspicion that a underage person has been drinking, he has the right to conduct a field sobriety test and charge the person with driving after the consumption of alcohol

Very stupid move by Lawson. Only a few weeks away from the NBA draft, and he couldn't hold himself back from having a few pops and driving around with the music blasting at 2:30 AM. The suspended license thing is the biggie, though.

snowdenscold
06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree it's rather silly that you are considered a danger to the public if you are 20 years old and have a .04 BAC but if you're a couple months older and have a .07 it's fine.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutly loathe true drinking and driving and get very upset and confrontational when I see people who have no business getting behind the wheel trying to do so - but I don't consider below .08 to be dangerous just because you're 20 and not 21. Maybe if you were 12...

blueduke59
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Drinking and driving with no license and a history of failing to show up for court appearances is beyond dumb. It says a lot about his character. Apparently thumbing your nose at the law is no big deal to Ty Lawson

Indoor66
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree it's rather silly that you are considered a danger to the public if you are 20 years old and have a .04 BAC but if you're a couple months older and have a .07 it's fine.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutly loathe true drinking and driving and get very upset and confrontational when I see people who have no business getting behind the wheel trying to do so - but I don't consider below .08 to be dangerous just because you're 20 and not 21. Maybe if you were 12...

You gotta set the cutoff somewhere. I don't know what is the correct point and I can surely agree with Bob about things done in my youth. That said, high profile people get looked at closely and the police are attentive at 2:30 AM!

SilkyJ
06-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Jesus, you guys just don't stop. I know people who have had warrants out for their arrest in certain states b/c they didn't pay their tickets 10 years ago and they had NO IDEA that that was the case. Maybe lawson did intentionally thumb his nose at the law, or maybe he didn't pay his ticket like thousands of others who are otherwise law-abiding folks.

i'm getting sick of defending a tar hole, so I'm gonna stop now, but you a lot of you guys are really acting like you're saints and lawson is some form evil. chillax, or in the words of a former tent 1 captain ('02-'04): ease.

snowdenscold
06-06-2008, 07:11 PM
You gotta set the cutoff somewhere. I don't know what is the correct point and I can surely agree with Bob about things done in my youth. That said, high profile people get looked at closely and the police are attentive at 2:30 AM!

You are correct on all counts - and cutoffs with the law always present a problem.

Thus I feel OK making fun of him for being stupid (especially with the suspended license thing) and getting caught and going to UNC - but believing he wasn't really putting anyone at risk.

My disappointment in JJ's case is different - because there he was actually above .08 and that's not cool ever, even if he went to Duke.

Carlos
06-06-2008, 07:39 PM

I started to make a list of all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20 but all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20 have messed up my memory so badly I couldn't complete the list.

Indoor66
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I started to make a list of all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20 but all the seriously dumb things I did at age 20 have messed up my memory so badly I couldn't complete the list.

If you are like me, you probably ran out of ink or lead! :rolleyes:

SupaDave
06-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Drinking and driving with no license and a history of failing to show up for court appearances is beyond dumb. It says a lot about his character. Apparently thumbing your nose at the law is no big deal to Ty Lawson

Yeah - he probably hasn't been busy...

AND there were times when I was younger that the cops SHOULD have pulled me over but didn't. Chapel Hill has got some real cooky police with not a lot of crime on their hands. The music thing doesn't surprise me one bit.

If his license had have been legit - he would have probably been given a warning. And take that as a fact from a person born and raised in Durham.

Lawson, being from OUT of state, may have had an issue with his out of state license - those court dates are a lot easier to miss. Some of you are thinking as if the kid would have some reason to have a NC license...

cato
06-06-2008, 08:17 PM

heh.

Uncle Drew
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Unfortunately I know from experience that driving while your license is revoked is an automatic loss of your license for one year and when you are able to get it back 8 points go on your driving record. Got a ticket years ago in Greensboro and the judge dropped the charges but confiscated my radar detector. He didn't say a word about court costs so by the time I found out I still owed that the state had revoked my license. I was on my way to work a week later with plans to get my license back that afternoon after work and got pulled.

The offense as far as driving record and insurance is actually worse than a DWI because the law was designed to deter repeat drunk drivers. There are only two driving offenses (that don't involve wrecks or man slaughter) worse to get and that is a DWI and not stopping for a school bus. But hey Lawson will have the money to get someone to drive him around and I was in the best shape of my life taking a mountain bike everywhere. :rolleyes:

delfrio
06-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Change DUI charges to attempted murder and then see how many people are stupid enough to get behind the wheel. Drinking and driving is nothing to simply brush off.

The problem is thinking in absolutes rather than taking into account what actually happened. I realize this is OT, but talking on the cell phone while driving and even talking to passengers in the car while driving can impair your abilities as much as light drinking. So charge everyone who opens their mouths with attempted murder?

CameronCrazy'11
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Also to be fair too Lawson, it's unclear how much he had actually been drinking. Since he's under 21, it's a DUI if he blew a .02. It's still stupid either way.

SMO
06-08-2008, 09:14 PM
According the N&O article linked at the front page Lawson failed to show up for several hearings related to his THREE speeding tickets. Add that to what he got arrested for the other night and I'm far less forgiving. That's stupidity.

Cameron
06-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I honestly don't see the harm in throwing the jokes around at Ty. For one, Tywon is still a member of the North Carolina basketball team. If he so chooses, and pulls his name from the Draft, Lawson will be playing collegian ball in Chapel Hill once again in the winter. Sure JJ got pulled over, but, lest we forget, JJ was no longer a member of the Blue Devil team. He was an NBA player by that point. Not drafted quite yet, but a professional athlete nonethess. JJ's classes were finished at Duke, he was graduated, and the NBA was all that awaited.

With Tywon, if he does in fact come back to Chapel Hill, Carolina could be the home of a resident ex-con:)

While JJs and Tywon's acts were both stupid and misguided (although events that many of us have mistakenly been through), they are not a clear match in terms of similarity. Tywon is still an underaged college student who could very well be playing for the Tar Heels next season, who also was arrested and booked downtown for drinking and driving; JJ was also pulled over for driving while under the influence, but over the age of 21, no longer a student at Duke, and a professional athlete signed with a professional sports agent.

Bluedog
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Lawson didn't show up to his scheduled workout with the Nuggets:

"When I was coming this morning, I thought he was going to be here," the coach [George Karl] said.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9524359

Weird....you would think he'd at least notify them if he was injured or something.

TheDuke11
06-09-2008, 01:17 PM
some talking tarheel heads are under the impression that mr. lawson is about to pull his name out of the draft.

Bluedog
06-09-2008, 01:22 PM
some talking tarheel heads are under the impression that mr. lawson is about to pull his name out of the draft.

And risk being whupped by Roy? ;)

CDu
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM

I will be very displeased if that turns out to be the case. However, it appears that Lawson DID manage to make it to a workout with the Wizards today:

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/3013691/

Not sure what to make of things, except maybe that Lawson doesn't want to play for Denver and just doesn't have good etiquette? We'll know for sure in about a week (or less).

jgflava
06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I will be very displeased if that turns out to be the case. However, it appears that Lawson DID manage to make it to a workout with the Wizards today:

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/3013691/

Not sure what to make of things, except maybe that Lawson doesn't want to play for Denver and just doesn't have good etiquette? We'll know for sure in about a week (or less).

The first report regarding the Denver workout stated that the Nuggets decided to cancel the workout. There was some talk that the Nuggets were no longer interested in Lawson due to the driving after drinking charge and the fact that Carmelo Anthony recently took a lot of heat for a DUI in Denver. The Nuggets also have a few other players who have been in trouble with the law, not unlike the former Portland Jailblazers.

CDu
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
The first report regarding the Denver workout stated that the Nuggets decided to cancel the workout. There was some talk that the Nuggets were no longer interested in Lawson due to the driving after drinking charge and the fact that Carmelo Anthony recently took a lot of heat for a DUI in Denver. The Nuggets also have a few other players who have been in trouble with the law, not unlike the former Portland Jailblazers.

There have been numerous reports, including the one you list, one that says Lawson blew off the workout, and another that says it's a miscommunication between Lawson and Denver, where messages were missed.

In the end, all that matters is whether or not Lawson stays in the draft as of June 16. The rest of the speculation is just that. If he stays in, he'll be drafted by somebody in one of the two rounds (making him ineligible for UNC). And if he returns, UNC is going to be really really good next year.

blueduke59
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Jesus, you guys just don't stop. I know people who have had warrants out for their arrest in certain states b/c they didn't pay their tickets 10 years ago and they had NO IDEA that that was the case. Maybe lawson did intentionally thumb his nose at the law, or maybe he didn't pay his ticket like thousands of others who are otherwise law-abiding folks.

i'm getting sick of defending a tar hole, so I'm gonna stop now, but you a lot of you guys are really acting like you're saints and lawson is some form evil. chillax, or in the words of a former tent 1 captain ('02-'04): ease.

You ought to be even more sick of defending the indefensible. Do you seriously believe Lawson may have "forgotten" to show up in court and pay his fines? Did he also "forget" he had a revoked driver's license? He deliberately thumbed his nose at the law. Try it and see what happens to you

What's also interesting is what kind of discipline Roy handed down to the speedster. He had to have known about all those citations