PDA

View Full Version : You cannot reheat french fries...

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 02:05 AM
... in the microwave. Period.

DevilAlumna
06-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Alas, a painful lesson to learn, but one better gained early in life.

Toaster ovens can salvage them somewhat.

Windsor
06-06-2008, 06:15 AM
You have to 're-fry' them...either in a frying pan with some oil or a deep fryer. If you opt for the frying pan the oil needs to be hot first.

It is almost easier to get in the car and get fresh ones.

YmoBeThere
06-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Like Windor said, go get new ones. But then I don't own MickeyD's stock anymore so...just avoid letting the get cold.

aimo
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Sometimes you can put them on a cookie sheet in the oven and get them crispy again. About 350 degrees, I think.

alteran
06-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Sometimes you can put them on a cookie sheet in the oven and get them crispy again. About 350 degrees, I think.

This works really well for me. Not quite as good as a freshly cooked fry, but what is?

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I think OreIda now makes some that you can freeze and then heat in the microwave. I remember them being pretty good.

DukePA
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I've had good results with just sticking left over fries in a hot frying pan with no added oil. Guess I like to frequent greasy dives!

Bostondevil
06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I will argue that you can reheat fries in the microwave, they just taste like crap. Still, the kids will eat crappy tasting french fries almost any time.

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I will argue that you can reheat fries in the microwave, they just taste like crap. Still, the kids will eat crappy tasting french fries almost any time.
You have a point. It is physically possible, but highly unadvisable. I am first and foremost a fan of leaving no leftovers, and then will be happy with pan frying.

I am really not a fan of microwaves at all. I have not owned a microwave in almost four years. Of course I have the benefit of being a bachelor with no children so I don't miss the conveniences have nuking my food in two minutes.

Bostondevil
06-06-2008, 01:06 PM
You have a point. It is physically possible, but highly unadvisable. I am first and foremost a fan of leaving no leftovers, and then will be happy with pan frying.

I am really not a fan of microwaves at all. I have not owned a microwave in almost four years. Of course I have the benefit of being a bachelor with no children so I don't miss the conveniences have nuking my food in two minutes.

As a mom, I've also had to get over the no leftovers problem. If you try to eat up everything the kids don't, you start to get fat. I've stopped. I even sometimes throw out perfectly good food, that is if you call crappy tasting cold french fries perfectly good food. Even the kids won't eat them all the time.

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
As a mom, I've also had to get over the no leftovers problem. If you try to eat up everything the kids don't, you start to get fat. I've stopped. I even sometimes throw out perfectly good food, that is if you call crappy tasting cold french fries perfectly good food. Even the kids won't eat them all the time.
Ugh, leftovers have killed my waistline. I blame the mentality of "You better finish that food because there are starving children in China."

Depending on the leftover, I'll toss it or freeze it. I prefer freezing because I tend to cook a lot of food (hobby, stress relief, and I find it easier to cook for more rather than less) and I have a Food Saver.

I've got a freezer full of chicken soup, chili, etc., all homemade. Chili reheated six months later, phenomenal. French fries will probably go into the trash.

TillyGalore
06-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a Food Saver.

Have I seen that on infomercials? I take it you like yours.

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Have I seen that on infomercials? I take it you like yours.
Ooops, I forgot to link (http://www.foodsaver.com/) to it. I absolutely love it! Not only does it have the conventional vacuum bag, but you can attach a hose and use hard canisters. This allows me to freeze soups, stews, and other "liquidy" foods that can't be sealed in a bag. After they freeze in the canister, I'll transfer them to bags for longer storage. You can also use the canisters to quickly marinate meat, or you can buy their special container.

To reheat, you can boil in the bag, microwave, or thaw and prepare however you choose.

TillyGalore
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Can you reuse the bags?

EarlJam
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Can I just say you've added a new metaphor to my lexicon? I think saying, "You can't reheat french fries in the microwave" is a perfect way of communicating that you can't re-create a good time / meet expectations with a simple, "Let's do it again" philosophy.

Example:

Steve: Man, remember when we all went to CornDogFest five years ago and got krunk while listening to Duran Duran? That was so awesome!

Gregory: It WAS awesome! Especially when, oh my god, when Randall wrapped that table cover around his body, swallowed helium from those balloons and professed himself to be Jesus Christ! That dude was crazy man!

Jake: Hell yes! Wasn't that in June!? Heck and golly, it's June now! I'm totally going on-line to see if CornDogFest is in town this year! We could do it all over again!

Steve: Dude. Please. Save yourself the time and effort. Everybody knows you can't reheat french fries in the microwave. Besides, Randall's dead. Remember the overdose? In the chicken shed?

Jake: Oh..........yeah. Good point. And as for Randall, we kind of lost touch after he got that job with Kotter's Chicken & Taters and moved to Idaho. I feel kind of bad now for even suggesting it. But like you said, even if Randall was still with us, you just can't reheat fries in the microwave.

Gregory: Such is life.

Steve: Yeah, such is life.

[awkward pause, silent reflection]

Jake: Hey, you guys up for some Johnny Rockets?

Steve: Good call dawg. That place brings happiness!

Gregory: And you know what else it brings? (dramatic pause) Fresh, crispy french fries!

[group breaks out into simultaneous laughter and joy, turns and walks down the road together towards their destination. Steve hops, kicks his heels together as the theme from "What's Happening" plays in the background]

Roll credits.

-EarlJam

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Can I just say you've added a new metaphor to my lexicon? I think saying, "You can't reheat french fries in the microwave" is a perfect way of communicating that you can't re-create a good time / meet expectations with a simple, "Let's do it again" philosophy.
-EarlJam
Thank you EarlJam. You got it, perfectly.

2535Miles
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Can you reuse the bags?
Sure can. I hand wash the larger bags but tend to throw out the smaller bags.

Bostondevil
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
EarlJam, you may have given me the title to my next short play. Do you write by the way? Your dialog was a little heavy on the exposition but the ideas were there.

You Can't Reheat Fries in the Microwave, coming soon to a stage near you.

But you can reuse the bags.

hurleyfor3
06-06-2008, 03:10 PM
You can refry beans. Can you rebean fries?

(Edit: Guess not. "Rebeaned fries" gets zero hits on Google. Until now!)

DevilAlumna
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
And kudos on the Johnny Rockets reference. As we all (including Steve Blake) know, that place really *does* bring happines.

Lavabe
06-06-2008, 08:00 PM
"You can't reheat french fries in the microwave"-EarlJam

I believe the Stones had the perfect response to you EarlJam:

But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
... in the microwave. Period.

obese america:

there is no reason to ever order fries in the first place, let alone save them to reheat and eat them later...

captmojo
06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
obese america:

there is no reason to ever order fries in the first place, let alone save them to reheat and eat them later...

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Death food, indeed.

Have refried pork rinds instead.:D

Lavabe
06-07-2008, 11:26 AM
obese america:

there is no reason to ever order fries in the first place...

Order Tater Tots instead.:D

WHOOPS... that's another thread! Sorry!;)

Ah yes ... remember that EarlJam poll?
Cheers,
Lavabe

2535Miles
06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
obese america:
That is just flat out mularky. French Fries as a staple in your diet is surely a bad idea, but there are plenty of reasons to order them and reheat them (as long as it's not in a microwave).

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Death food, indeed.
Have refried pork rinds instead.:D
Yum.