PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Football--is it true?

rockymtn devil
06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
In this week's college football mailbag, SI's Stewart Mandel answers a question about big time teams playing big time, non-regional OOC games (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/06/04/mailbag/index.html).

The question starts by pointing out that the Georgia Bulldogs will play at Arizona State this year, marking the first time it has played a regular season game outside of the southeast since 1967.

Now, I'm not trying to debate the merits of that (I think we can all agree, no matter what team you root for, that not playing outside your region in 40 years is ridiculous). But, there are several Bulldog fans on here and I wanted to check if this is indeed a true statement. I can't fathom that it's true, but Mandel didn't refute it in his response.

ugadevil
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I just looked through the previous football schedules for the past 40 years and that statement is true. As the team website shows all the previous games, UGA hasn't had a regular season game outside the southeast since 1967, and the game was at Houston. There have certainly been some big games in Sanford Stadium over the past 40 years, but not many away from home. However, keep in mind that UGA has one non-conference game every year with Ga. Tech that automatically takes up one spot. Also, if you combine that with the fact that UGA/Clemson used to be a regularly scheduled game, that takes up two spots against two teams that have usually been competitive. I guess Georgia wasn't looking for any other road games.

I'd say the times are changing though. As the article mentions, the Dawgs will take on Arizona State in Tempe, AZ this season (all part of our march to the National Championship!) Next season, a game in Stillwater, OK is scheduled against Oklahoma State. Also, there is talk of a home-home series with Oregon and possibly Ohio State in the next few years.

Huh?
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I can't imagine Ohio State playing anyone in the top 100 out of their conference. Ok, Ok, top 70...maybe.

Nugget
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
You do know that Ohio St. has a home and home starting this year at USC (likely pre-season Top 5), and played home and home with Texas in 2005-2006, including in 2005 when Vince Young's last second TD pass kept Texas on the road to the national championship, right?

ugadevil
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I can't imagine Ohio State playing anyone in the top 100 out of their conference. Ok, Ok, top 70...maybe.

I don't like OSU, but that's pretty harsh. This is a team who has played at the likes of Texas, Washington, N.C. State, and UCLA over the past few years. Currently, Texas is the only big-time opponent out of that group but that wasn't the case a few years ago. You can criticize Ohio State for some things, but out of conference scheduling isn't really one of them.

rockymtn devil
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM

As has been noted, OSU has recently played home-and-homes with Texas, NC State, Washington (scheduled in the late 90s when they were still a power) and they play at USC this year. After that, the Buckeyes have in the coming years games at Miami, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech (and Tennessee, but that's years away).

As Mandel notes, Georgia is beginning to schedule more non-regional OOC games, which is good for the program. It's no coincidence that in each of the past three years, the winner of the biggest OOC game nationally played in the BCS Title Game ('05 Texas; '06 Ohio State; '07 LSU).

arnie
06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't like OSU, but that's pretty harsh. This is a team who has played at the likes of Texas, Washington, N.C. State, and UCLA over the past few years. Currently, Texas is the only big-time opponent out of that group but that wasn't the case a few years ago. You can criticize Ohio State for some things, but out of conference scheduling isn't really one of them.

Why is NCState in this group? Granted they have finished as high as 3rd in their division and did win the ACC football championship 30+ years ago, but I don't think they are considered a power.

pfrduke
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Why is NCState in this group? Granted they have finished as high as 3rd in their division and did win the ACC football championship 30+ years ago, but I don't think they are considered a power.

During the Phillip Rivers years, they were usually very highly rated pre-season. They never quite lived up to it, but they were a Top-25 team when OSU scheduled/played them.

ugadevil
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
During the Phillip Rivers years, they were usually very highly rated pre-season. They never quite lived up to it, but they were a Top-25 team when OSU scheduled/played them.

What he said. Rivers and McLendon were keys to a very strong offense for the Pack. I remember those N.C. State/Ohio State games getting a relatively large amount of hype and being broadcast on ABC.

Classof06
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

As a Buckeye fan, I naturally take exception to this. Look at the schedules instead of regurgitating what you hear on SEC message boards. I didn't hear anybody knocking OSU's schedule when they had a home and home with NC State or Texas (the year they won it all). Or in 2006 when we played three different #2 ranked teams in the same season (Texas, Michigan and Florida). Furthermore, I don't see anybody else going out to LA this September to play USC, the most successful college football program of this decade. I realize it's become en vogue to hate on Ohio State (much like Duke in basketball), but don't twist the facts.

People trash on OSU going out to Seattle to play Washington as their big out of conference game last year, not knowing that the schedules are made 8-10 years in advance. FYI, Washington was pretty damn good at the turn of the century, when the game was scheduled. In 2010, OSU plays Miami, which was scheduled a few years back when Miami was the best program in the nation. Is Miami as good now as they were in 2002-03? Clearly not. But contracts are contracts. The best part, SEC fans (LSU fans in particular) ripped OSU for playing Washington yet guess who LSU just scheduled a home and home with? You guessed it, the Huskies. And they were a lot better in 2000 than they are now.

I have respect for Georgia and they will most likely be preseason #1 in America (with Ohio State probably #2). But they're not a perennial contender and they will start the season with the nation having told them how good they are for the last 9 months. We'll see if they can handle the hype and get it done.

ugadevil
06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
As a Buckeye fan, I naturally take exception to this. Look at the schedules instead of regurgitating what you hear on SEC message boards. I didn't hear anybody knocking OSU's schedule when they had a home and home with NC State or Texas (the year they won it all). Or in 2006 when we played three different #2 ranked teams in the same season (Texas, Michigan and Florida). Furthermore, I don't see anybody else going out to LA this September to play USC, the most successful college football program of this decade. I realize it's become en vogue to hate on Ohio State (much like Duke in basketball), but don't twist the facts.

People trash on OSU going out to Seattle to play Washington as their big out of conference game last year, not knowing that the schedules are made 8-10 years in advance. FYI, Washington was pretty damn good at the turn of the century, when the game was scheduled. In 2010, OSU plays Miami, which was scheduled a few years back when Miami was the best program in the nation. Is Miami as good now as they were in 2002-03? Clearly not. But contracts are contracts. The best part, SEC fans (LSU fans in particular) ripped OSU for playing Washington yet guess who LSU just scheduled a home and home with? You guessed it, the Huskies. And they were a lot better in 2000 than they are now.

I have respect for Georgia and they will most likely be preseason #1 in America (with Ohio State probably #2). But they're not a perennial contender and they will start the season with the nation having told them how good they are for the last 9 months. We'll see if they can handle the hype and get it done.

Calm down killa'. I think Ohio State fans now have dreams about SEC fans talking trash to them. Scheduling Washington reminds me of what it was like to schedule Colorado. 10-15 years ago, if you scheduled Colorado, you thought you were getting a huge match-up. However, it's impossible to predict how good a team will be when you schedule a game so many years in advance.

I hope to God that Georgia doesn't go into the season as the preseason #1. Most of the things I've seen have Georgia in the top 5, but very few have them at the top. The other favorites are the typical USC, Ohio State, & Florida. You won't hear much trash talk coming out of anyone intelligent from Athens going into this season because making it to the championship game is going to be INCREDIBLY difficult. Leave it to the Dawgs to have their best team in the season they have to play South Carolina (road), Arizona State (road), Alabama, and Tennessee all in a row. Throw in LSU, Florida, and Auburn, and I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't just schedule the New England Patriots. The road would be difficult, but in Knowshon we trust.

calltheobvious
06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Calm down killa'. I think Ohio State fans now have dreams about SEC fans talking trash to them. Scheduling Washington reminds me of what it was like to schedule Colorado. 10-15 years ago, if you scheduled Colorado, you thought you were getting a huge match-up. However, it's impossible to predict how good a team will be when you schedule a game so many years in advance.

I hope to God that Georgia doesn't go into the season as the preseason #1. Most of the things I've seen have Georgia in the top 5, but very few have them at the top. The other favorites are the typical USC, Ohio State, & Florida. You won't hear much trash talk coming out of anyone intelligent from Athens going into this season because making it to the championship game is going to be INCREDIBLY difficult. Leave it to the Dawgs to have their best team in the season they have to play South Carolina (road), Arizona State (road), Alabama, and Tennessee all in a row. Throw in LSU, Florida, and Auburn, and I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't just schedule the New England Patriots. The road would be difficult, but in Knowshon we trust.

UGA, not to pile on, but it's even worse than you indicate, as murderer's row number two for the Dawgs goes At LSU, neutral Florida, At Kentucky, at Auburn.

To the extent that an Auburn fan can feel bad for Georgia, I do. I think this Georgia team is the second-most talented the league has seen since the '96 Florida NC team. But the schedule you guys face would be funny if it weren't so painful to look at. It's even more brutal than Florida's '06 stretch in which the Gators stumbled at Auburn after facing Tennessee and LSU in the previous two weeks.

I think it's too much to ask for Georgia to go to LSU and then face Florida the following week with the Gators resting with Woodsonless Kentucky at home the week before.

It says here Georgia goes 11-1, watches Auburn play Florida in Atlanta, then destroys someone in the Fiesta Bowl to finish #2 again. If that were to happen, then I'd say one more #2 finish in 2009 and you might start understanding what we felt like in 2004.

Classof06
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I think Ohio State fans now have dreams about SEC fans talking trash to them.

Haha, dreams aren't real baby. What I've seen and heard is, though much of the logic behind it makes me believe those talking the trash are dreaming.

I think this Georgia team is the second-most talented the league has seen since the '96 Florida NC team. But the schedule you guys face would be funny if it weren't so painful to look at. It's even more brutal than Florida's '06 stretch in which the Gators stumbled at Auburn after facing Tennessee and LSU in the previous two weeks.

See, I think Georgia's going to be a very good team, but how do you figure? Is it because they ended last season with seven wins? That was impressive but you have to remember the Dawgs didn't even win their division last year, let alone the conference.

Losses like the one vs. Tennessee last year are why I'm maintaining my wait-and-see approach with the Dawgs. I wouldn't put it past Arizona State to outlast them in Tempe.

Huh?
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
You do know that Ohio St. has a home and home starting this year at USC (likely pre-season Top 5), and played home and home with Texas in 2005-2006, including in 2005 when Vince Young's last second TD pass kept Texas on the road to the national championship, right?

I'm glad they are finally playing someone, this will just show why they shouldn't be in the BCS championship game.

Little something I found.
"Ohio State played only three teams ranked in the final top 25. Michigan, at No. 18, was its highest-ranked regular-season opponent. Yet the Buckeyes ended the regular season No. 1 in both polls based on their inflated 11-1 record."

calltheobvious
06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Haha, dreams aren't real baby. What I've seen and heard is, though much of the logic behind it makes me believe those talking the trash are dreaming.

See, I think Georgia's going to be a very good team, but how do you figure? Is it because they ended last season with seven wins? That was impressive but you have to remember the Dawgs didn't even win their division last year, let alone the conference.

Losses like the one vs. Tennessee last year are why I'm maintaining my wait-and-see approach with the Dawgs. I wouldn't put it past Arizona State to outlast them in Tempe.

I think their absolutely dominant play down the stretch was far more indicative of who they were at the end of the season than was their performance versus UT. If they stay healthy this year Georgia is going to be truly frightening. The problem is that their schedule virtually guarantees some significant injuries.

Devilsfan
06-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Ohio State always plays a top out of conference team. This year as mentioned their out of conference game is against the real USC. All we can wish for is that Cut fields a team in a few (few meaning several) years that can be competitive (on the field) with the Buckeyes. The bad news is that if he does that, we probably lose him.

Gunnar Kaufman
06-06-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm glad they are finally playing someone, this will just show why they shouldn't be in the BCS championship game.

"Ohio State played only three teams ranked in the final top 25. Michigan, at No. 18, was its highest-ranked regular-season opponent. Yet the Buckeyes ended the regular season No. 1 in both polls based on their inflated 11-1 record."

The problem with your logic here is that you're not employing a representative sample. There's no doubt that OSU's schedule last season was sub-par in that not only was the Big 10 (woefully) down as a conference, so too was its high-profile out-of-conference opponent.

You seem to have completely ignored the facts provided by your message board peers, however.

I'll go even further, then, to drive some facts home, by listing the high-profile non-conference foes OSU has played over the years:

Miami (FL)
UCLA

Arizona

UCLA

Texas Tech
Washington State

Washington
N.C. State

N.C. State

Texas

Texas

Washington

USC

USC

Miami (FL)

Miami (FL)

Cal Berkeley

Cal Berkeley

Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Tennessee

El_Diablo
06-06-2008, 08:48 AM
The problem with your logic here is that you're not employing a representative sample. There's no doubt that OSU's schedule last season was sub-par in that not only was the Big 10 (woefully) down as a conference, so too was its high-profile out-of-conference opponent.

You seem to have completely ignored the facts provided by your message board peers, however.

I'll go even further, then, to drive some facts home, by listing the high-profile non-conference foes OSU has played over the years:

Miami (FL)
UCLA

Arizona

UCLA

Texas Tech
Washington State

Washington
N.C. State

N.C. State

Texas

Texas

Washington

USC

USC

Miami (FL)

Miami (FL)

Cal Berkeley

Cal Berkeley

Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech

Oklahoma

Oklahoma

Tennessee

Tennessee

And YOU seem to ignore the time-space continuum!

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 08:57 AM

I don't doubt that you hear trash talk from some SEC schools. I wouldn't be surprised if most of it came from the SEC teams that continue to beat Ohio State in bowl games. However, be careful to assume that every time you hear trash talk, that it's coming from SEC fans. Good SEC football fans are like good ACC basketball fans, they're very knowledgable and know not to rip on the teams that are consistently dominant.

That was impressive but you have to remember the Dawgs didn't even win their division last year, let alone the conference.

If I hear the "Georgia didn't win their division argument" one more time, I might throw up. Georgia finished the season at 11-2, with a 6-2 record in conference. Technically, they were the Eastern Division Co-Champions with Tennessee. You know who else finished the season with a 6-2 conference record? The National Champion LSU Tigers. LSU just happened to get the better end of it because of the tiebreaker in their division, but it's not like UGA struggled through the conference.

And what is this talk about how Georgia isn't a perennial contender? If you're competing for the SEC Championship every year, you're probably in the mix for the national title. Since Mark Richt has arrived, he's had 10+ win seasons in five of his seven years. For all the talk about Florida and LSU, there hasn't been anyone more consistently dominant in the past five years than the Dawgs.

Classof06
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't doubt that you hear trash talk from some SEC schools. I wouldn't be surprised if most of it came from the SEC teams that continue to beat Ohio State in bowl games. However, be careful to assume that every time you hear trash talk, that it's coming from SEC fans. Good SEC football fans are like good ACC basketball fans, they're very knowledgable and know not to rip on the teams that are consistently dominant.

If I hear the "Georgia didn't win their division argument" one more time, I might throw up. Georgia finished the season at 11-2, with a 6-2 record in conference. Technically, they were the Eastern Division Co-Champions with Tennessee. You know who else finished the season with a 6-2 conference record? The National Champion LSU Tigers. LSU just happened to get the better end of it because of the tiebreaker in their division, but it's not like UGA struggled through the conference.

And what is this talk about how Georgia isn't a perennial contender? If you're competing for the SEC Championship every year, you're probably in the mix for the national title. Since Mark Richt has arrived, he's had 10+ win seasons in five of his seven years. For all the talk about Florida and LSU, there hasn't been anyone more consistently dominant in the past five years than the Dawgs.

I know the "didn't win your division" argument is one that you don't like to hear but it's one you can't get around. I didn't say Georgia struggled in their conference but facts are facts; as far as history is concerned, Tennessee will be remembered as the '07 SEC East champs; almost doesn't count. OSU was co-Big 10 champs with Penn State in '05 but since we lost to them, they got the BCS bid and we got in as an at large.

I'm not trying to belittle Georgia in any way, you guys run a great program. But as far as the contender talk goes, I don't know that I'd label UGA a perennial contender; they're not one of those few teams expected to be in the hunt for a NC almost every year, at least outside their fanbase. But they're very close.

For all the talk of Florida and LSU, those schools have crystal balls in their trophy case. For all the talk of Florida and LSU, both have more BCS appearances than Georgia. Looking at the SEC hierarchy, I think UGA is close to UF and LSU, but they're not there yet.

For all the negativity about OSU, we got to the NC game in what was honestly and legitimately a rebuilding year for the Buckeyes. For all the talk about USC, they're expected to compete for the NC this year despite losing multiple senior starters from last year. These examples are what I mean by perennial contenders.

rockymtn devil
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
There was a thread about the status of Georgia's program back during football season. My point in that thread was that no team's fans have a more inflated view of their place in the college football hierarchy than Georgia's. This was backed up with the reality that any program with one true national title to its name shouldn't be talked about in the same breath as USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, etc. And, something that I don't think the Georgia fans in that thread realized, the response from the Bulldog faithful only backed up the argument.

Now, I think almost equally as important as on-field success is the perception or name-recognition of a program. This is something that Georgia struggles with (they haven't played a regular season outside of their region since LBJ was President) but are apparently trying to fix. Playing in more prominent OOC games (like @ASU this year) will help the status of that program and Richt will keep their on-field performance at a high level.

Classof06
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Sweet. I like how you conveniently left out the fact that the only reason OSU ended up #1 was because the seven different teams ahead of us all lost in the span of 3 weeks.

That sounds like a pretty important fact; but I realize for the purposes of your terrible argument, it's just more convenient to ignore the other facts.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

ugadevil
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
For all the talk of Florida and LSU, those schools have crystal balls in their trophy case. For all the talk of Florida and LSU, both have more BCS appearances than Georgia. Looking at the SEC hierarchy, I think UGA is close to UF and LSU, but they're not there yet.

The SEC hierarchy? I'm about to give up and just put this in the category of being pointless (yet I post on an internet message board?:rolleyes:). Part of it is a bias that ACC fans seem to have that they are better at everything and that the SEC is just a group of dumb rednecks. Funny thing is, I'm much more of an ACC basketball fan than SEC football fan. That's fine...we'll just play stupid and talk bad about you at church and say bless your heart.

Florida and LSU do have national championships in the past few years, but give it up with SEC dominance. If we're going to say "facts are facts", look up the SEC numbers. Since Mark Richt has come to Athens, I'm pretty sure he has the highest conference winning percentage of anyone in the SEC. We can disagree about whether or not UGA is a perennial contender, that's fine. And we can decide that UGA has the most inflated perception of themselves of all time...no idea who was sampled in that poll. But, as for SEC success, Georgia wins games - usually more than anyone else.

Classof06
06-11-2008, 01:24 PM
The SEC hierarchy? I'm about to give up and just put this in the category of being pointless (yet I post on an internet message board?:rolleyes:). Part of it is a bias that ACC fans seem to have that they are better at everything and that the SEC is just a group of dumb rednecks. Funny thing is, I'm much more of an ACC basketball fan than SEC football fan. That's fine...we'll just play stupid and talk bad about you at church and say bless your heart.

Florida and LSU do have national championships in the past few years, but give it up with SEC dominance. If we're going to say "facts are facts", look up the SEC numbers. Since Mark Richt has come to Athens, I'm pretty sure he has the highest conference winning percentage of anyone in the SEC. We can disagree about whether or not UGA is a perennial contender, that's fine. And we can decide that UGA has the most inflated perception of themselves of all time...no idea who was sampled in that poll. But, as for SEC success, Georgia wins games - usually more than anyone else.

All I'm saying is that when you look at the SEC in the BCS era, Florida and LSU have to be looked at as the top dogs (no pun intended). 3 different SEC teams have won the BCS championship in 10 years of the BCS and Georgia is not on that list. I have great respect for Georgia as a program and they'll be as good as anyone in America this season. But if you want to put yourselves in the same breath as Florida and LSU (and even Tennessee for that matter), then do what they've done; win it all.

While Richt might have the highest conference winning percentage, what does have to show for it? 3 Sugar Bowl appearances highlighted by an embarrassing loss to WVU and a win over Hawaii? As an Ohio State fan, I know firsthand how conference success is great but doesn't ultimately get you remembered. In 2008, OSU has a chance to be the first Big 10 school ever to win 3 straight outright conference titles. Yet all OSU fans (and everyone else) will remember from these past 2 seasons is that the crystal ball never made it back to Columbus. It is what it is.

Huh?
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Sweet. I like how you conveniently left out the fact that the only reason OSU ended up #1 was because the seven different teams ahead of us all lost in the span of 3 weeks.

That sounds like a pretty important fact; but I realize for the purposes of your terrible argument, it's just more convenient to ignore the other facts.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

What does this even mean?

Classof06
06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
What does this even mean?

Ohio State lost to Illinois and was dropped to #8 in America. In the next 3 weeks, the seven teams in front of us lost, putting OSU back into the NCG. To say OSU didn't deserve to be there when the only reason they got there is because the seven teams in front of them proved they didn't deserve to be there is just sheer stupidity. Stupidity that fits right in with every other comment you've made in this thread.

Despite you going on and on about OSU's schedule (which is tougher than or as tough as any other elite CFB program year in/year out) and how we're so undeserving, you conveniently ignore the overriding reason OSU was even in the NCG! Probably because doing so would expose your argument for what it is: awful.