PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals predictions thread

hc5duke
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Celtics vs Lakers, who will come out on top?

brevity
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Celtics vs Lakers, who will come out on top?

That would be David $tern.

mgtr
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
^ Excellente!

bbar7502
06-02-2008, 11:33 PM
he goes for the trifecta- mvp, finals mvp, and gold medal.....

billybreen
06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
The 2-3-2 format makes me think it's Lakers in 5. They'll steal one at Boston and win the 3 in LA.

juise
06-03-2008, 02:21 AM
I went Lakers in 6, which is apparently a pretty popular guess.

Classof06
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Lakers in 6. I think Boston will give LA a better series than most expect but the reality is that Kobe knows a good chunk of his legacy is on the line and I expect him to play accordingly.

EarlJam
06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
You know how on Senior Day the end of the bench seniors get to start the game, then come out after about a minute?

I think it would be a cool marketing thing to do to suit up Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and have them play the first minute of the first game to honor storied rivalry.

It could also be hilarious. What if they did that and the guys actually scored a few?

-EarlJam

hc5duke
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I think it would be a cool marketing thing to do to suit up Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and have them play the first minute of the first game to honor storied rivalry.

Larry Bird is not walking through that door, EarlJam

VaDukie
06-03-2008, 06:59 PM

Post of the day

EarlJam
06-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Yes he is. Wait and see. I know things.

-EJ:)

Clipsfan
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Have you seen Magic on TV? He looks like he's over 300 pounds these days. I know he's scrimmaged with the Mich St. team in the past, but I don't know if he can still do that at the NBA level.

CDu
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Have you seen Magic on TV? He looks like he's over 300 pounds these days. I know he's scrimmaged with the Mich St. team in the past, but I don't know if he can still do that at the NBA level.

The NBA had an All-Star game gimmick a few years back in which they had a 3-on-3 game involving a women's player, a current men's pro, and a legend. The legends were Dominique Wilkins and Magic Johnson. It was less than riveting stuff. I'm pretty sure that a 48 year old Magic would not be able to function at the NBA level.

moonpie23
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
lakers in 6 - kobe MVP - China gold too.....

micky d's and sprite are back on their knees........

hurleyfor3
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM

What about Kevin McHale and Robert Parish? Are they walking through that door?

EarlJam
06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
What about Kevin McHale and Robert Parish? Are they walking through that door?

I know Dennis Johnson isn't. :(

"Bird steals it!.............to Johnson.....and the Celtics win it!"

Bird made the great steal and pass, but Johnson made a great shot. That was no simple lay-up. It was a tough angle.

Go Celtics!

-EarlJam

SilkyJ
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM

"to DJ" not johnson. come on jam-man.

sorry, i was bored.

Bostondevil
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Bird made the great steal and pass, but Johnson made a great shot. That was no simple lay-up. It was a tough angle.

Go Celtics!

-EarlJam

I miss Johnny Most.

Celts for the NBA title, Kobe for the gold. Go Celtics!!!!!

Remember, Mitch Kupchak is the Lakers GM. Boo Lakers.

hc5duke
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
91_92_01, billybreen, Dukiedevil, jipops, weezie all lose... oh and myself too :rolleyes:

The Lakers will have to win all 3 at home. IIRC they are still undefeated at home in the playoffs, so we'll see how this plays out.

billybreen
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
91_92_01, billybreen, Dukiedevil, jipops, weezie all lose... oh and myself too :rolleyes:

The Lakers will have to win all 3 at home. IIRC they are still undefeated at home in the playoffs, so we'll see how this plays out.

I think David Stern will make sure they win at least 2 at home.

greybeard
06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
The Celtics are too strong inside for the Lakers. If the Lakers move away from the Triangle again, they will lose again.

The Lakers best team has Farmar on the court. Farmar is a better athlete than Rondo (almost as fast and much stronger) and can make plays going to the basket that will keep Rondo from leading run outs with a head start. He must wear Rondo down (take away his shooting and finishing legs) and perhaps get him in foul trouble. Without Rondo, the Celtics can be pressured and can be turned over. Farmar is THE key player in this series if the Lakers are to have a chance.

I think that Doc had a very bad quarter of coaching in the fourth. Not putting his center in was a huge mistake. Gasol cannot play with the kid, and the kid is far and away the strongest, most aggressive big on the court. Makes plays on both ends. That will not happen again; he will be on the court in the fourth.

My prediction, Celtics in Six.

Everything I just said is based purely on my gut, which, by the way, is not to be taken lightly. :o

Clipsfan
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
The Lakers best team has Farmar on the court. Farmar is a better athlete than Rondo (almost as fast and much stronger) and can make plays going to the basket that will keep Rondo from leading run outs with a head start. He must wear Rondo down (take away his shooting and finishing legs) and perhaps get him in foul trouble. Without Rondo, the Celtics can be pressured and can be turned over.

I find it strange that you think one of the keys is taking away the shooting/finishing legs from a guy who doesn't shoot the ball very often/well. I don't think he hit his second basket (on his 4th shot?) until the 4th quarter, but his assists were killing the Lakers.

greybeard
06-10-2008, 01:18 AM
I find it strange that you think one of the keys is taking away the shooting/finishing legs from a guy who doesn't shoot the ball very often/well. I don't think he hit his second basket (on his 4th shot?) until the 4th quarter, but his assists were killing the Lakers.

Check the last line of my post. That said, here it is. The Celtic's weakness when Rondo isn't on the floor was exposed by Detroit, which stole the ball almost at will from Sam I Am.

Rondo is as dangerous as his ability to lead run outs and penetrate the defense and threaten the basket with something that is easy. I addressed why Farmar makes the former more difficult; he penetrates to the basket himself, taking Rondo out of ideal position to be running the break. Rondo's ability to finish effectively, which requires that he be "stopped" if he beats his primary defender, depends on having lift off a stop and pop or to elevate at the rim. If the legs are dead that quality is discernible and the help needs to fully commit less because Rondo will not deliver a basket at the end of the day.

If Rondo has his legs the defenders know it and must commit to stopping him on penetration, giving rise to his ability to create inside out play, that is, getting it to spot up shooters who have space and can themselves create (we're talking here Allen, Posse and of course what's his name.) Rondo does not have to score the ball often for the defense to know that he is fresh and therefore a threat. Conversely, the defense knows when his legs are tired, and then the help does not need to fully commit. They can jab and retreat, play mid way and retreat, and take away much of the effectiveness of inside out play because the receiver catches without someone running at him from distance.

Hope that helps. Nevertheless, I do need to do something about this gut of mine. :o

hc5duke
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I think David Stern will make sure they win at least 2 at home.

and failing at that, at least the refs will (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401) :rolleyes:

The letter also details an incident in the 2002 playoffs in which Donaghy alleges that two referees, who were known as NBA "company men," wanted to extend a series to seven games. [The Sacramento Kings] could have wrapped up the series in Game 6 [against the Lakers] but saw two players foul out, lost the game and ultimately the series.

I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the Blazers-Lakers series in '00.

Duke4Ever32
06-18-2008, 01:02 AM
So as a collective whole, the DBR prediction squad didn't fare so well. 31 people thought LA would win in 6 vs. 13 who thought Boston would win in 6?? Wow!

From one of the worst teams in '06-'07 to the best in '07-'08!! Championships for Paul, Kevin, and Ray, in the most lopsided clincher in Finals history!!

What a story!! CONGRATULATIONS CELTICS!!

CameronCrazy'11
06-18-2008, 01:11 AM
On a slightly different note, was anyone watching feeling nostalgic when the Celtics fans were shouting "na-na-na-na na-na-na-na hey-ey-eeeey gooooood-byyyyeeeeee"? I can't wait for Duke basketball to start again.