PDA

View Full Version : watching hockey for the first time

rthomas
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I am sort of watching hockey for the first time ever with these finals - the Redwings vs the Penguins. I HAVE NEVER WATCHED HOCKEY BEFORE. But this is pretty damn good on tv. Even if the Redwings are 3-1 over our Penguins. Go Pittsburgh! We believe!

OK so I only watch the last guater (i'm sorry the last third - hockey doesn't have quarters? what's up with that?) but I am surprising myself that I am actually watching hockey.

colchar
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I am sort of watching hockey for the first time ever with these finals - the Redwings vs the Penguins. I HAVE NEVER WATCHED HOCKEY BEFORE. But this is pretty damn good on tv. Even if the Redwings are 3-1 over our Penguins. Go Pittsburgh! We believe!

OK so I only watch the last guater (i'm sorry the last third - hockey doesn't have quarters? what's up with that?) but I am surprising myself that I am actually watching hockey.

It isn't the 'last third'. Hockey has periods. Three of them (unless the game goes to overtime). So you watched the third period.

blazindw
06-02-2008, 02:31 AM

You should watch more hockey...the Stanley Cup playoffs is among my favorite events to watch...just great intensity. Plus, hockey looks excellent in HD (if you have it). The regular season is great as well, but not nearly as intense as the playoffs.

Hopefully my Red Wings can end it tomorrow at home. GO WINGS!

DevilWolf
06-02-2008, 07:52 AM
The ONLY reason that hockey isn't huge is because it's not made for TV, and in some cases, it's almost set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game (other than the drama involved in any sport) on TV. Get yourself to a game in person next season.

But you're right, the Stanley Cup finals, and just playoff hockey in general, is amazing.

colchar
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
i
The ONLY reason that hockey isn't huge is because it's not made for TV, and in some cases, it's almost set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game (other than the drama involved in any sport) on TV. Get yourself to a game in person next season.

Sorry, but this simply isn't the case - and it certainly isn't "set up so that it's impossible to enjoy the game . . . on TV".

In my experience American broadcasters do not do a very good job of broadcasting hockey (most of them actually do a very poor job) therefore the game loses something when you watch an American broadcast. If you are ever in Canada, or have any access to the CBC (maybe on the web?), try watching their Saturday night broadcast (known as Hockey Night in Canada) as it simply can't be beat. Actually, almost all Canadian broadcasters do hockey very very well. I don't know why American broadcasters do such a poor job (even in some Original Six cities). Why can't they just hire a Canadian producer and give him control? That would solve their problem right away.

Going to a game in person is, of course, the best way to watch almost any sporting event but hockey can still be enjoyed just as much when watched on TV. Heck, sometimes it is more fun to watch a game in a bar than it is to go to it in person.

gvtucker
06-02-2008, 02:15 PM
It isn't the 'last third'. Hockey has periods. Three of them (unless the game goes to overtime). So you watched the third period.

I think he realized that. And yes, he was watching the last third of the game, so he wasn't in error.

hc5duke
06-02-2008, 03:08 PM
YAWwwnnnn... BillyBreen : baseball :: Hc5duke : hockey

rthomas
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM

The three periods all have equal number of minutes so each would be a one third.

Lavabe
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
The three periods all have equal number of minutes so each would be a one third.

Just remember that the time between the periods is called "intermission," not halftime.;)

Turk
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Just remember that the time between the periods is called "intermission," not halftime.;)

That's too bureacratic. They should be called "halftimes" anyway - then the 3rd period would be called "the third half of the game"... ;-)

colchar
06-02-2008, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I know how long a period is in hockey (did you seriously just try to tell a Canadian how long a period is in an NHL game?!?). My point was that nobody calls it the 'last third' or refers to the last third of a game. Ever. If you are trying to tell someone that was the only part of the game you watched, you say that you watched the third period.

Lavabe
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
And whatever you do, you simply must watch more Don Cherry, LIVE!!

And when you do, wear your sunglasses!:cool:

rthomas
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I know how long a period is in hockey (did you seriously just try to tell a Canadian how long a period is in an NHL game?!?). My point was that nobody calls it the 'last third' or refers to the last third of a game. Ever. If you are trying to tell someone that was the only part of the game you watched, you say that you watched the third period.

I think it's cool to say "hey, kids, gather 'round the tv and watch the last third." Or, I do like "the third half".

Go Pens!

Cell-R
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
So today we learned that hockey is better in Canada.
That Canadians are the only good hockey announcers.
Hockey is the only sport that is better when watched from a TV.
Also, never use thirds.

I've been to a couple hockey games myself, and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. The popcorn was good, and my friend got us great seats.

colchar
06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
So today we learned that hockey is better in Canada.

Well it is our sport.

That Canadians are the only good hockey announcers.

Not necessarily announcers as I've heard some good American ones. I am talking about the production of the broadcast. We just have better camera operators, producers, etc. Probably comes more from familiarity and experience working hockey games than anything else.

Hockey is the only sport that is better when watched from a TV.

I guess you missed the part where I said "sometimes". Depending on the atmosphere in a particular arena it can sometimes be better watching a game in a bar.

Also, never use thirds.

Never. Ever. If you said that up here whoever you were talking to would convulse with laughter.

blazindw
06-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Well it is our sport.
This might be true, but you have to go back to 1992-1993 to find the last Canadian team that won the Stanley Cup (Montreal over L.A.). Since then, the teams that have won are N.Y. Rangers, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, New Jersey, Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

DukieInKansas
06-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Is there a limit to the number of sudden death OTs? At some point do they go to a shootout, like they do in soccer?

DevilAlumna
06-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Is there a limit to the number of sudden death OTs? At some point do they go to a shootout, like they do in soccer?

Not in playoff hockey, and THAT is a beautiful thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28ice_hockey%29#Longest_NHL_overtime_gam es

DukieInKansas
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the answer. And now the Penguins have won, so I can think about getting ready for bed. These guys have to be exhausted.

colchar
06-03-2008, 12:52 AM
This might be true, but you have to go back to 1992-1993 to find the last Canadian team that won the Stanley Cup (Montreal over L.A.). Since then, the teams that have won are N.Y. Rangers, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, New Jersey, Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

They may be based in the US but check the nationalities of the players on those teams and I'd wager that 75% (most likely more) were Canadian.

colchar
06-03-2008, 12:54 AM

No limit in the playoffs. That moron (the filter won't let me call him what I'd prefer to call him) Gary Bettman instituted the shootout after overtime during the regular season (something akin to deciding a basketball game by free throws) but, thankfully, he hasn't messed around with the playoffs yet.

sue71, esq
06-03-2008, 01:13 AM
They may be based in the US but check the nationalities of the players on those teams and I'd wager that 75% (most likely more) were Canadian.

Canadian, or European? Granted, few from the US but let's face it, lots of Europeans too in addition to Canadians.

That being said, I've been involved w/ ECHL (like Double AA baseball minors) hockey, and lived through a playoff game that was about 2 minutes shorter than this one tonight. Let's just say we just wanted it to be over and we didn't care what happened at that point (it was after 1am). There were maybe about 1000 (being generous) people left (remember, not a 20k venue for minor leagues) and it wasn't a series-deciding game much less a potential Cup-deciding game, and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Not to mention that I had another hour of work to do once the game ended. Oh, and it was my 2nd day on the job. Yay.

Not at that job any longer, though for other reasons. :rolleyes:

cspan37421
06-03-2008, 01:31 AM
yeah, Colchar, I understand the justifiable pride that Canada has in their hockey tradition, but 75%? Maybe if you've got a lot of Russian and Swedish immigrants.

I'm disappointed in tonight's loss, but the last penalty was totally deserved (unlike the earlier goalie interference ones). That was a stupid play, but I suppose that's what can happen when you have to look way down your bench because everyone else is out of gas.

hc5duke
06-03-2008, 01:57 AM
yeah, Colchar, I understand the justifiable pride that Canada has in their hockey tradition, but 75%? Maybe if you've got a lot of Russian and Swedish immigrants.

I'm disappointed in tonight's loss, but the last penalty was totally deserved (unlike the earlier goalie interference ones). That was a stupid play, but I suppose that's what can happen when you have to look way down your bench because everyone else is out of gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Anaheim Ducks - 18/25 = 72%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Carolina Hurricanes - 12/25 = 48%

2005 = lock-out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Tampa Bay 15/25 = 60%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Stanley_Cup_Finals
NJ 13/25 = 52%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Detroit 13/25 = 52%

OK I'm tired of looking through these... but it seems "more than 50%" would have been a better estimate :-p Last 5 years is roughly 56.8%, still impressive. Though I must admit, after looking up the '07 Ducks, I thought colchar's claim might stand...

colchar
06-03-2008, 08:27 AM

The only reason that last penalty was called was because blood was drawn. Had it not been I suspect the penalty wouldn't have been called because A) this is the Stanley Cup Finals and B) no real advantage was gained by the Wings as a result of the infraction.

colchar
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Anaheim Ducks - 18/25 = 72%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Carolina Hurricanes - 12/25 = 48%

2005 = lock-out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Tampa Bay 15/25 = 60%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Stanley_Cup_Finals
NJ 13/25 = 52%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Stanley_Cup_Finals
Detroit 13/25 = 52%

OK I'm tired of looking through these... but it seems "more than 50%" would have been a better estimate :-p Last 5 years is roughly 56.8%, still impressive. Though I must admit, after looking up the '07 Ducks, I thought colchar's claim might stand...

Alright, so I was off in my estimation of the make-up of the last few teams to win. But remember, that the remaining percentage for each team is made up from all other countries combined. So, for those teams at least, Canada still produces more Stanley Cup champions (players) than the rest of the world combined.

And I'd bet the numbers would tilt much further in Canada's favour if we were to look back at the last 25-30 champions.

BlueDevilJay
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Last nights game was awesome and anytime the Red Wings lose, its a good night. (St Louis Blues fan myself) I finally fell asleep during the 3rd OT, but for some reason thought I remembered waking up seeing the Wings celebrating, must have been a bad dream :)

I LOVE the way they do OT in the playoffs in the NHL. Glad to see too that they didn't keep up the 4 on 4 that they do in the regular season as well. I first got into the NHL back when the Canucks played the Rangers for the Cup back in 96 I think it may have been? Pavel Bure was still very young and lightning quick, and that was a hell of a Finals series. I started following the Blues the next season because I liked Brett Hull (this before he sold his soul for a ring and went to Dallas and Detroit). Up until the past few years, the Blues held the longest streak in all professional sports, making the playoffs for 25 consecutive years (I think it ended at 25) but alas, never have won the Cup. One of the best games I ever remember seeing was a double overtime game vs Detroit, where, given our yearly heart ripping loss to Detroit in the Western finals, Steve Yzerman ripped a shot from the blue line that took a bad hop and skipped over Grant Fuhr's leg into the net. It was a game 7 as well, and after that game, the team began to break up, completing Mike "Satan" Keenan's total destruction of the franchise. Its great to be a Blues fan!!! :)

Now bring on Game 6, come on Pens, you can do it!

blazindw
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
One of the best games I ever remember seeing was a double overtime game vs Detroit, where, given our yearly heart ripping loss to Detroit in the Western finals, Steve Yzerman ripped a shot from the blue line that took a bad hop and skipped over Grant Fuhr's leg into the net. It was a game 7 as well, and after that game, the team began to break up, completing Mike "Satan" Keenan's total destruction of the franchise. Its great to be a Blues fan!!! :)

I hate to bring up old wounds, but that wasn't a shot that skipped over Fuhr's leg. Stevie Y sent a laser that hit off the crossbar and in over Fuhr's shoulder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTAnyLn_RI&feature=related)(you could hear it hit the crossbar). Most hockey experts agree that he probably never had that much of a chance to get it...too hard and fast and in the perfect spot. As a Red Wings fan, one of the greatest games I've ever seen. As a hockey fan...still one of the greatest playoff games in recent memory.

That game was a heartbreaker for me. I agree with the earlier poster who said that the last double minor by Hudler was deserved, but only called because blood was drawn. The goalie interference calls were completely horrendous and definitely shouldn't have been called. I was really hoping that the celebration would start last night/this morning, but now I expect the Wings to brush this off and come out firing again in Game 6. They are shooting far more shots...their scoring will come.

gvtucker
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
The only reason that last penalty was called was because blood was drawn. Had it not been I suspect the penalty wouldn't have been called because A) this is the Stanley Cup Finals and B) no real advantage was gained by the Wings as a result of the infraction.

Nah. The refs hand was in the air well before he could tell whether or not blood was drawn. The blood just added another two minutes to a penalty that was already called.

BlueDevilJay
06-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I hate to bring up old wounds, but that wasn't a shot that skipped over Fuhr's leg. Stevie Y sent a laser that hit off the crossbar and in over Fuhr's shoulder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTAnyLn_RI&feature=related)(you could hear it hit the crossbar). Most hockey experts agree that he probably never had that much of a chance to get it...too hard and fast and in the perfect spot. As a Red Wings fan, one of the greatest games I've ever seen. As a hockey fan...still one of the greatest playoff games in recent memory.

That game was a heartbreaker for me. I agree with the earlier poster who said that the last double minor by Hudler was deserved, but only called because blood was drawn. The goalie interference calls were completely horrendous and definitely shouldn't have been called. I was really hoping that the celebration would start last night/this morning, but now I expect the Wings to brush this off and come out firing again in Game 6. They are shooting far more shots...their scoring will come.

Yeah obviously youre correct about how the shot went in, as much as I try to forget about that game, I still just remember him slapping it from around the blue line and it taking a weird deflection going into the net. I honestly thought that was the year we were finally going to get past Detroit and into the Finals for once. Thats the draw though for me with the hockey playoffs. The games just end with a snap of the fingers, bang, done. You're either elated, or in shock instantly.

Lavabe
06-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah obviously youre correct about how the shot went in, as much as I try to forget about that game, I still just remember him slapping it from around the blue line and it taking a weird deflection going into the net. I honestly thought that was the year we were finally going to get past Detroit and into the Finals for once. Thats the draw though for me with the hockey playoffs. The games just end with a snap of the fingers, bang, done. You're either elated, or in shock instantly.

Having lived in St. Louis in the 80's and 90's, the voices of the Blues, Ken Wilson, Joe Micheletti, and Bernie Federko, did a good job calling games.

But NO ONE in the US will ever announce better than Dan Kelly.

And yes BDJ, Keenan is Satan.

BlueDevilJay
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Having lived in St. Louis in the 80's and 90's, the voices of the Blues, Ken Wilson, Joe Micheletti, and Bernie Federko, did a good job calling games.

I LOVED listening to Blues games on the radio (the only way I get most of their games) and glad to see another non fan of Mike Keenan. It just makes my skin crawl even typing his name out....ugh.

colchar
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
(St Louis Blues fan myself)

Since you are a Blues fan I take it you are familiar with the whole Mike Danton saga? I used to play hockey with the so-called agent that caused that whole fiasco. He's always been such a piece of work that almost nothing about that saga surprised me.

devildeac
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
That's too bureacratic. They should be called "halftimes" anyway - then the 3rd period would be called "the third half of the game"... ;-)

then that would make it a game and a half;):D

gvtucker
06-03-2008, 10:52 PM

The radio play by play man for the Hurricanes, Chuck Kaiton, is excellent.

DevilWolf
06-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Two years ago, the soccer team I coach hosted a team from Canada here on a college tour. We set up a day of North Carolina hospitality for them, including a trip to Duke, State and UNC, a barbecue picnic in Duke Gardens, and a "big surprise" at the end of the day.

Of course, the big surprise was taking them to the RBC Center to see the Stanley Cup in person. :-) Well, the fake one at least.

Someday, Canada. Someday ...

cspan37421
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Wings escape another stupid Hudler penalty. Osgood said, only half-jokingly, that he was going to smack him upside the head when he sees him in the locker room.

Ben63
06-04-2008, 11:33 PM
can someone please explain to me the significance of Don Cherry. I may be showing my youngness (16) but i just dont get it. And where does he even get clothes like that.

phaedrus
06-04-2008, 11:58 PM
A few points from another Canuck:

1. The significance of Don Cherry? He's Canada's answer to Dickie V - except, thankfully, he's confined to the intermissions.

2. The NHL has been roughly 60% Canadian for quite a few years now. Before the 90s it probably was 75%+.

3. True that the Cup hasn't come to Canada since '93, but count how many Conn Smythe winners are non-Canadians.

colchar
06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
can someone please explain to me the significance of Don Cherry. I may be showing my youngness (16) but i just dont get it.

It's a Canadian thing, you probably wouldn't understand.

And where does he even get clothes like that.

He has them custom made.

colchar
06-05-2008, 12:57 AM
A few points from another Canuck:

1. The significance of Don Cherry? He's Canada's answer to Dickie V - except, thankfully, he's confined to the intermissions.

2. The NHL has been roughly 60% Canadian for quite a few years now. Before the 90s it probably was 75%+.

3. True that the Cup hasn't come to Canada since '93, but count how many Conn Smythe winners are non-Canadians.

Where are you located again? I'm pretty sure I've asked but I'm going senile so I can't remember.

gvtucker
06-05-2008, 08:34 AM

No idea, but the guy that won it last night isn't.

edit: There's two others, Nick Lidstrom and Brian Leetch.

Crazy fact I didn't know until now, Brian Leetch was born in Corpus Christi, Texas.

phaedrus
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Where are you located again? I'm pretty sure I've asked but I'm going senile so I can't remember.

I grew up outside Winnipeg. Been a Habs fan as long as I can remember, though.

blazindw
06-05-2008, 10:46 AM
YEAAAH WINGS! I admit, the last 30 seconds probably had my pulse at 300, but it's always worth it when the clock reads 00.0 and you know your team just won Lord Stanley's Cup! :)

colchar
06-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I grew up outside Winnipeg.

Living in the US now or are you still up here?

Been a Habs fan as long as I can remember, though.

I'm not sure I can talk to you any more ;)

Shammrog
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
HOW ABOUT THEM RED WINGS, BABY?!?!?

Shammrog, native of Hockeytown, U.S.A.

Lavabe
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
HOW ABOUT THEM RED WINGS, BABY?!?!?

Shammrog, native of Hockeytown, U.S.A.

Dadgummit! Shamm wins the Stanley Cup, and he's gone Obama on us!;)

Shammrog
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Dadgummit! Shamm wins the Stanley Cup, and he's gone Obama on us!;)

Chosen specifically for the oddly symbolic "halo" effect; which I felt was appropriate for the DBR PPB. ;)

BlueDevilJay
06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Chosen specifically for the oddly symbolic "halo" effect; which I felt was appropriate for the DBR PPB. ;)

You just beat me to adding that picture as my avatar too. I had been working on resizing it and then saw yours. Ill find another I'm sure :D

As for the Wings, feh. Pens got robbed! Anytime the Red Wings win the Cup, it's because they cheated. I think thats in the NHL bylaws ;)