PDA

View Full Version : Hurley tells Packer to "SHUT UP!"

EarlJam
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
An oldie but goodie for nostalgia's sake. Just as Packer begins to say, "Duke doesn't need a three....," Hurley launches and connects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcFqkHi6dg

I can't believe how open they left him.

Hurley. I loved that tough-as-nails, kick-arse mother flubber!

-EarlJam

Tappan Zee Devil
05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
An oldie but goodie for nostalgia's sake. Just as Packer begins to say, "Duke doesn't need a three....," Hurley launches and connects.

Uhh - I just played it. The video ends with 12 seconds left and the issue still in doubt.

Jim

Lavabe
05-30-2008, 07:47 PM
That's odd ... when I tried the link the video is "no longer available."

roywhite
05-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Uhh - I just played it. The video ends with 12 seconds left and the issue still in doubt.

Jim

Yeah, if you go over to "related videos" on the right the first one is for 8:59 from sctrojan1 and picks up where the previous video left off. So it covers the miss by UNLV at the end, some serious celebrating, and interviews by Packer and Nantz of Laettner and Coach K. I knew Laettner had a great game, but I had forgotten he scored 28 points. What a clutch performer.

davekay1971
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, if you go over to "related videos" on the right the first one is for 8:59 from sctrojan1 and picks up where the previous video left off. So it covers the miss by UNLV at the end, some serious celebrating, and interviews by Packer and Nantz of Laettner and Coach K. I knew Laettner had a great game, but I had forgotten he scored 28 points. What a clutch performer.

Ahhh, the good ol' days. Excuse me while I hobble off to the kitchen on my walker to get myself another glass of prune juice...

hurleyfor3
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Ahhh, the good ol' days. Excuse me while I hobble off to the kitchen on my walker to get myself another glass of prune juice...

Excuse *me* while I remind everyone we've gotten past the Sweet 16 *once* in the past seven years.

davekay1971
06-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Don't misunderstand my humor - I was poking fun at myself as I go flying headlong into my late 30s. Looking at that video, with the relatively shorter shorts and the high top haircuts brought me back to seeing the game as it happened when I was a wee sophomore at Duke, and made me realize just how long ago that was. The years go quickly.

hondoheel
06-01-2008, 05:50 PM
That's still nowhere near as good as Packer saying "And look who's guarding Felton, Mister Shutdown!" about 2 seconds before Ray drilled a crucial 3 right in Deron Williams's eyes. :)

moonpie23
06-01-2008, 09:13 PM
That's still nowhere near as good as Packer saying "And look who's guarding Felton, Mister Shutdown!" about 2 seconds before Ray drilled a crucial 3 right in Deron Williams's eyes. :)

hahahaha.....i missed that....but.....

seriously.....felton couldn't carry williams' atheletic supporter...

miramar
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Packer is not all bad. He also tells Coach K at the end: "You told us early on in the year that this team had the kind of mental toughness that it was going to take to be an outstanding basketball team."

I have nothing but positive thoughts of this kind for next year.

ricks68
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Don't misunderstand my humor - I was poking fun at myself as I go flying headlong into my late 30s. Looking at that video, with the relatively shorter shorts and the high top haircuts brought me back to seeing the game as it happened when I was a wee sophomore at Duke, and made me realize just how long ago that was. The years go quickly.

Ohmigosh! Most of us usually use the date after our names to denote when we graduated, not when we were born. If you think you are old, imagine how a lot of us feel that graduated before you were even a twinkle in your parent's eyes. Those "relatively shorter" shorts you were talking about seem a bit long compared to the ones the players were wearing when we went to Duke. Sigh.:eek:

DevilDan
06-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Anywayyyy, before this thread gets too far off track ... let's get back to Mr. Billy Packer. I started following Duke basketball in the Hal Bradley / Howard Hurt days. After they landed Art Heyman, I was nuts for the Devils. When Heyman an instant star at Duke, one of their great rivalries was with Bones McKinney / Len Chappell at Wake Forest. One of the two starting guards was Billy Packer.

Legend has it that Packer wanted badly to go to Duke, but they weren't interested in him. Many years after he played for Wake, he entered the announcers' booth. He seemed to delight at a Blue Devil loss. Ergo the many references he would make to the team, as " Duke University ", in a sarcastic tone of voice. It was always "Kansas, Carolina, LSU, Kentucky... and DUKE UNIVERSITY..." when describing the teams.

He has let up in the past several years, and finally started to give the Devils credit -- as it is hard to criticize a team that has won three NCAA titles under a premier leader like Coach K. And, give him credit for being part of the first great 3-man TV announcing team, with Dick Enberg & Al McGuire. The verbal battles between he and Coach were always a treat. Once he (seemingly) got very upset when Coach questioned his opinions. Packer snapped back with " I know the Game ! ". Then Coach shot back with " But Billy, I know the PULSE " .... Classic stuff ... haaaaa.

There are many who comment that he's nearing the end of the line at CBS. Let's see ...

HillDevil
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Beginning of the many greatest days of my life!!!

moonpie23
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
i've proudly stated this on another thread, but , back in the 80's, i slipped down to the floor of littlejohn col and gave mr packer the "horns" on national TV......course, there wasn't much security back then.....