PDA

View Full Version : A dig at UNC's banners

DavidBenAkiva
05-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I thought that this (http://talleywhackers.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/the-rules-for-banner-raising-and-the-most-ridiculous-banners-in-sports/) was pretty funny (scroll down a little bit). They also had a funny little dig at Duke football, but it wasn't malicious. Enjoy!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

OZZIE4DUKE
05-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I thought that this (http://talleywhackers.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/the-rules-for-banner-raising-and-the-most-ridiculous-banners-in-sports/) was pretty funny (scroll down a little bit). They also had a funny little dig at Duke football, but it wasn't malicious. Enjoy!

They also had a dig at our penchant for hanging banners for being "Final #1 Ranking" for a given year. Both the men's teams and women's teams have them up. It is not bragging if it is fact, but it also means we should have more Championship banners hanging than we do.

And honestly, I am very proud of our Football Highest Graduation Rate "banner", even though it is more of a placard than a banner.

weezie
05-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Still, it's hilarious that the guy would put so much effort and research into a very funny piece. I wonder what people who don't like sports do with all their free time...

CameronCrazy'11
05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
They also had a dig at our penchant for hanging banners for being "Final #1 Ranking" for a given year. Both the men's teams and women's teams have them up. It is not bragging if it is fact, but it also means we should have more Championship banners hanging than we do.

And honestly, I am very proud of our Football Highest Graduation Rate "banner", even though it is more of a placard than a banner.

i disagree that we should hang banners for #1 rankings. as coach k likes to say, teams are judged by how they perform in march. When i look at the #1 banners it just reminds me how we didn't win in the tournament that year.

on a different note i do like the highest graduation rate plaque. However it might be more impressive if we actually had decent seasons and high graduation. it almost seems like we're trying to explain our poor performance by saying well are football players are really more students than athletes.

gvtucker
05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
You can't go on that long of a rant about UNC's banners and not include the "NIT 3rd Place 1973" banner.

That one is the most ridiculous of all. Is that one hanging up in the Smith Center? I've never been there. I know it was in the rafters in Carmichael.

msdukie
05-30-2008, 10:07 AM
When are we going to take down the "USAToday Women's Final #1 National Ranking 2003" banner? We didn't finish #1 in the poll, UConn did (by virtue of winning the NC - this is not the AP poll after all). We were #1 in the second-to-last poll. Apparently, I'm the only person who has ever noticed this.

In contrast, when are we going to put up the "AP Women's Final #1 National Ranking 2007" banner? It hasn't been put up at any time in the last year.

Also, why does the 2004 women's AP banner, not say "women's" on it, while all of the other women's banners do?

Nagging questions that I've never gotten the answers to. And yes, I spend WAAAY too much time thinking about these things.....

(to answer the NIT question, I think they finally took that banner down in the DeadDome and incorporated it with their NIT section when they re-did all of the banners during the past season). I've had many "discussions" about it with Ram's Clubbers while sitting in their section of the Nose Dome for Duke-Carolina games throughout the past decade.

hurleyfor3
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
The Charlotte Hornets raised banners for several "attendendance championships." This was in the early years before George Shinn alienated fans by winning the league's groping championship.

I agree we should get rid of the "Final National Ranking #1" banners, or at least consolidate them onto a single banner. While we're at it we should move the retired numbers back to the back wall (above the grad students). They look better on teevee that way. But perhaps we've retired so many numbers now they won't fit there.

CameronCrazy'11
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
You can't go on that long of a rant about UNC's banners and not include the "NIT 3rd Place 1973" banner.

That one is the most ridiculous of all. Is that one hanging up in the Smith Center? I've never been there. I know it was in the rafters in Carmichael.

That's just hilarious. If an ivy league school placed 3rd in the NIT then maybe, just maybe, I can see hanging the banner. But at UNC? Doesn't that degrade their actual accomplishments to lump that joke in with the real banners?

budwom
05-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Indeed, GV, that was the King of Ludicrous Banners, but lamentably I think it's gone now, though surely not forgotten.

upstateny
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I am old enough to recall the days when only the winner of the ACC tournament got to go to the NCAAs - celebrating the NIT may have meant something different back then. I believe that 1973 falls into that era.

CDu
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I am old enough to recall the days when only the winner of the ACC tournament got to go to the NCAAs - celebrating the NIT may have meant something different back then. I believe that 1973 falls into that era.

1973 was during the era in which only the conference champion went to the NCAA tourney. I don't know the quality of the competition in the NIT in 1973, as it was before my time.

Indoor66
05-30-2008, 07:02 PM

The ACC permitted the tourney runnerup to go to the NIT beginning with the '66-'67 season. Duke lost to UNC and went to the NIT. Duke lost to Southern Illinois with Walt (Clyde) Frazier. UNC, by 1973, had been to 3 consecutive final fours and in the late 60's and was a perennial power. In 1971 they won the NIT, defeating Duke along the way. Call it how you see it on flying the banner!

Article by Jim Sumner: http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032308aaa.html

jgflava
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
This is the dumbest banner ever:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/Gallery/291/O45873.JPG

Bostondevil
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Winning the NIT was a big deal in 1973 with the one team per conference rule in the NCAAs, yes, it's true, and winning the NIT deserved a banner. They finished third.

devildeac
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
wait until they start hanging banners for all the nba championships their players have won:o;):rolleyes:

Bostondevil
06-03-2008, 09:25 AM
wait until they start hanging banners for all the nba championships their players have won:o;):rolleyes:

I'm surprised they haven't already.

(No Heels in the Finals this year!)

Edouble
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
This is the dumbest banner ever:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/Gallery/291/O45873.JPG

Yeah "Perfect Season" is a bit much. A-10 East champs... they're stretching to find something good where they couldn't win their conference tournament.

msdukie
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
(No Heels in the Finals this year!)

Don't forget Mitch Kupchak (Beat L.A.!)

Bostondevil
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Don't remind me! I hate Mitch Kupchak!

Beat LA, as if I needed another reason. Go Celts!