PDA

View Full Version : Test for Coach Cut - citations

OZZIE4DUKE
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Thad Lewis and Leon Wright, both 20, were cited in chapel hill last night for underage drinking.
http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2959759/

Karl Beem
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm shocked.:eek:

Devilsfan
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
College kids drinking, how amazing. We would permit them to go to war for our country and protect ALL of us at 18. Something seems very wrong here.

Methodistman
05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2959759/

Thad Lewis and Leon Wright were cited for underage possession . . . on Franklin Street!

Inonehand
05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Is it really news when you can't write anything that makes sense? Either way, Cutcliffe will punish them appropriately. Just not a big deal. Smarten up and play on.

Bluedawg
05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
College kids drinking, how amazing. We would permit them to go to war for our country and protect ALL of us at 18. Something seems very wrong here.

Right or wrong you know athletes are held to a higher standard than the average student.

Inonehand
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Right or wrong you know athletes are held to a higher standard than the average student.

Sure they are. And that's why Coach Cutcliffe will also punish them. If they weren't athletes, only their momma would be mad. They made a mistake, will be punished, and it's over.

gvtucker
05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Sure they are. And that's why Coach Cutcliffe will also punish them. If they weren't athletes, only their momma would be mad. They made a mistake, will be punished, and it's over.

Yep.

A typical punishment for such as offense would be stadium steps at 6 AM for a week.

wisteria
05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
guys need to be smarter. franklin street, Chapel Hill?

wisteria
05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
so... more weight loss? :D

Yep.

A typical punishment for such as offense would be stadium steps at 6 AM for a week.

gvtucker
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
guys need to be smarter. franklin street, Chapel Hill?

Look on the bright side. Instead of drinking and getting in fights, they're just drinking now.

Inonehand
05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Look on the bright side. Instead of drinking and getting in fights, they're just drinking now.

And no BB guns. Big step forward.

Bluedawg
05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Yep.

For missing class they also carry cinder blocks. i wonder what they will carry for this.

Devilsfan
05-30-2008, 04:21 PM
How about making them listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a Commencement Speech? That should stop them from doing anything wrong EVER again.

xenic
05-31-2008, 12:37 AM
For missing class they also carry cinder blocks. i wonder what they will carry for this.

clearly they will be carrying cases of beer.

DST Fan
05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
How about making them listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a Commencement Speech? That should stop them from doing anything wrong EVER again.

Or, perhaps make them sit in the rain and listen to Barbara Kingsolver give a commencement speech?

davekay1971
05-31-2008, 12:59 PM
At least they didn't jump off a balcony into a wading pool. That would've been REALLY stupid.

Kids these days...I never drank at Duke until I was 21 AND all my studying was complete. Shammrog can testify to that (got a smoke to go with my suds, Rog?)

Olympic Fan
06-01-2008, 10:13 AM
As others have posted, underage drinking by college students is hardly the worst or most unusual crime out there. However, it is a crime and does deserve punishment -- especially from scholarship athletes who ARE held to a higher standard of conduct.

I don't see this one as a big test for Coach Cut ... I'm sure the two players will be punished and that their punishment will take the form of some kind of brutal running regime -- I recall when Richmond Flowers was cited for the same thing, I know that to punish him, Coach Goldsmith took him to the practice field and had him run sprints until he puked ...

Over the years, a number of Duke athletes have been cited for this violation -- Hurley and Wojo are two who come to mind. I can't recall any of them ever missing a game or even sitting out a portion of a game as punishment. I is ALWAYS handled internally.

Multiple offenses ... that would be different. Drunk driving, that would be different. But underage drinking -- well, I'm glad the drinking age was 21 when I was in college.

watzone
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Multiple offenses ... that would be different. Drunk driving, that would be different. But underage drinking -- well, I'm glad the drinking age was 21 when I was in college.
You mean 18, right? I thought us old schools fellas benefited from the law being under 18.

davekay1971
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
You mean 18, right? I thought us old schools fellas benefited from the law being under 18.

Heck, the drinking age was 21 when I was at Duke, and I spent most of my freshman year blasted. Sure, Coach K begged me repeatedly to come out for the team ("Hurley?!" Coach K said to me, "Hurley?! You think I can win a national championship with Hurley running the point? I need ya, Dave! Duke needs ya!"). But I turned him down so that I could continue to swill alcohol in a consequence-free environement.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-01-2008, 03:13 PM

I'm sure as heck glad the drinking age for beer and wine was 18 when I was in school (hard liquor was 21), and now that I'm not in the running for AD, I'm with FDA in believing it should be lowered, if not to 18 then 19 or 20. Drunk driving deaths are up again, not because of underage drinking (which does occur and the 21 age limit doesn't seem to inhibit kids indulging), but mostly because of illegal aliens driving drunk. Three more dead in one accident in Raleigh last month. But that's not pertinent to this conversation.

Both our athletes are 20 and "blew" 0.3, well below the federally mandated age 21 limit of 0.8 for DWI/DUI. Under 21, the illegal limit for blood alcohol level is 0.1 (anything over 0.0). But these guys were walking on Franklin St., not driving, so I don't understand what the offense is, other drinking under age and/or carrying an open containers in chapel hill.

If I were AD, my recommendation to Coach Cut on punishment would be for the entire team to run steps, a lot of steps, as group punishment so everyone on the team wouldn't want to repeat the stupidity of public drinking again. The players should also be counseled on the evils of drinking at all, just to make (at the risk of moving this to the PP board) all the "do gooders" happy (which I think is a waste of time).

cspan37421
06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Both our athletes are 20 and "blew" 0.3, well below the federally mandated age 21 limit of 0.8 for DWI/DUI. Under 21, the illegal limit for blood alcohol level is 0.1 (anything over 0.0).

Isn't the federal DUI limit for highway funds 0.08%, not 0.8? I think you might be dead at 0.8%. Similarly, if our guys blew 0.3%, they'd be passed out drunk, or worse.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Isn't the federal DUI limit for highway funds 0.08%, not 0.8? I think you might be dead at 0.8%. Similarly, if our guys blew 0.3%, they'd be passed out drunk, or worse.

Yes, you are right, 0.08 and 0.03. My typo, repeated several times.

Bob Green
06-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Heck, the drinking age was 21 when I was at Duke, and I spent most of my freshman year blasted. Sure, Coach K begged me repeatedly to come out for the team ("Hurley?!" Coach K said to me, "Hurley?! You think I can win a national championship with Hurley running the point? I need ya, Dave! Duke needs ya!"). But I turned him down so that I could continue to swill alcohol in a consequence-free environement.

So it is your fault we didn't win three or four National Champioships in a row!

OldPhiKap
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes, you are right, 0.08 and 0.03. My typo, repeated several times.

I prosecute minors in possessions as part of my job (and may lightning not strike me for doing so). 0.03 is a beer. 0.3 is walking comatose.

OK, so it's the offseason and they had a beer or two. If this is the biggest problem we have all year, it will be one hell of a year.

ehdg
06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
I prosecute minors in possessions as part of my job (and may lightning not strike me for doing so). 0.03 is a beer. 0.3 is walking comatose.

OK, so it's the offseason and they had a beer or two. If this is the biggest problem we have all year, it will be one hell of a year.

Totally agree this is very minor stuff. I think Cut might just make a statement with this and make them run bleachers or something like already stated here. Just to send a warning as prevention, so more serious issues don't come up. Better to nip it early before folks forget or think it's okay to bend rules.

formerdukeathlete
06-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm sure as heck glad the drinking age for beer and wine was 18 when I was in school (hard liquor was 21), and now that I'm not in the running for AD, I'm with FDA in believing it should be lowered, if not to 18 then 19 or 20. Drunk driving deaths are up again, not because of underage drinking (which does occur and the 21 age limit doesn't seem to inhibit kids indulging), but mostly because of illegal aliens driving drunk. Three more dead in one accident in Raleigh last month. But that's not pertinent to this conversation.

Both our athletes are 20 and "blew" 0.3, well below the federally mandated age 21 limit of 0.8 for DWI/DUI. Under 21, the illegal limit for blood alcohol level is 0.1 (anything over 0.0). But these guys were walking on Franklin St., not driving, so I don't understand what the offense is, other drinking under age and/or carrying an open containers in chapel hill.

If I were AD, my recommendation to Coach Cut on punishment would be for the entire team to run steps, a lot of steps, as group punishment so everyone on the team wouldn't want to repeat the stupidity of public drinking again. The players should also be counseled on the evils of drinking at all, just to make (at the risk of moving this to the PP board) all the "do gooders" happy (which I think is a waste of time).

background - politicos talk about doing more for our troops, for kids reaching the age of 18, who are old enough to enlist in the military and vote.

In the context of supporting the troops, and pointing out the irony that 18 years olds may die for their country but cannot buy a drink, congress may pass an amendment to whatever highway act to de-link the availability of federal matching highway funds for states with the requirement that they maintain an 21 year old drinking age.

To combat the notion that 18 means 16 (I bought alcohol when 16, when the drinking age was 21 where I grew up - never lowered to 18), install a national tamper proof high tech id for all who reside legally in the US. Have homeland security handle this. It will help with the enforcement of labor and immigration laws, and help prevent underaged drinking.

as part fo the amendment to de-link, require all states to establish .08 as the BAC threshold for drunk driving (if it is not already so). I can drink beer all night and blow a .05 (did it twice), so .08 is not too onerous, particularly for beer drinkers who have carried forward in life some of the training, ability to handle beer, that a Duke (with keg parties) education give you.

I think the problem with TL and Wright was that they were carrying with them alcoholic drinks (in hand). Open container laws / ordinances probably do not change even with a lowered drinking age.

Punishment - we lost Delle Donne to another school after being pulled over and blowing a .03 and after Roof suspended him for a game. Seems to me that a game suspension is too much, not knowing what Goldberg did to get suspended, but Goldberg wont miss a game next season.