PDA

View Full Version : Gary Williams shows some hate for the Crazies

Mike Corey
02-28-2007, 08:45 AM
So Gary, whaddya think about those Cameron Crazies? Just how crazy are they?

No crazier than here. They have about half the number of students at the game. We have 4,000; they have 2,000. They get there early, they hand out sheets to practice their cheers. If you think all that stuff is spur-of-the-moment that you see on television, I've got an exclusive for you. It's well-done. It's well-documented. If I see another story on Krzyzewskiville, I might get a little sick.

Linky. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-sp.terpshoop28feb28001516,0,5394705.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines)

bluebear
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Hopefully, this will make its way around campus today...though I don't like the concept of cheer sheets (especially after the joke pulled on Duke by MD a few years back)...

KyDevilinIL
02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Gary Williams sits around all day thinking about Duke. As they were beating UNC, I would not be surprised if he thought, "Man, I wish this was Duke."

Man's a good coach, but he's a borderline lunatic when it comes to Duke. IMO, of course.

Jumbo
02-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Yawn. I can think of roughly 117 things that concern me more about tonight's game. It was some good-natured ribbing -- nothing more.

dukediv2013
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
GARY! What were you thinking? You just poked a bee hive! The Crazies are going to be especially wild tonight just for you! You shouldn't have done that.

DukeDevilsBB
02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Man's a good coach, but he's a borderline lunatic when it comes to Duke. IMO, of course.

I'm not convinced of just how good a coach Gary is.. I would say he is very mediocre and just got lucky that Baxter, Blake, Dixon and company all turned out much better than they were rated out of HS.

Mike Corey
02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Certainly, it's ribbing, and it's completely inconsequential with regards to the game. It's nothing new from Coach Wiliams, either, just something to pass along, is all.

Duvall
02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
To be fair, I imagine it's been hard for Duke students to get too excited about the crummy teams that Gary has brought to Cameron in recent years. This year should be different.

civileng68
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I have this very question for Gary:

"Gary, if Duke's fans are so lame, so under-numbered, and so calculated, why is it that your school, along with every other school in the country (including UNC) have COMPLETELY duplicated Duke's atmosphere?"

Upon started to answer the question..........I have $50 on that he starts jibber jabbering about something, goes more and more quiet and then just passes out.

tux
02-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't like the cheer sheets either: they end up in the hands of opposing fans and help make the argument that the crazies are a bunch of dorks. It's unfortunate. A cheat sheet of a few opposing players' stats/issues would be one thing to hand out to a few folks, but the cheer sheets I've seen go a little too far in their (let's just say) enthusiasm.

The cheer sheets first made an appearance in the late 90s --- and no one can argue that Cameron is better because of them. So what's the point?

civileng68
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Do you think it's irony that Gary Williams is upset that his TEAM doesn't get more recognition when yet, he's the only coach that worries about non-game related issues the day of a big game?

I think that speaks volumes as to part of the reason why Gary has never been taken seriously. Of course, maybe Gary isn't fit for such a large student base, considering they act like a bunch of hooligans who have absolutely no class.

devildownunder
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Hopefully, this will make its way around campus today...though I don't like the concept of cheer sheets (especially after the joke pulled on Duke by MD a few years back)...

What did they do?

throatybeard
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
GARY! What were you thinking? You just poked a bee hive! The Crazies are going to be especially wild tonight just for you! You shouldn't have done that.

I doubt he's scared.

Kdogg
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Is it not a bit hypocritical coming from a coach whose school hands out props for every home game? Like Wake, those cartwheel spinners aren't the students idea. I'll admit though I hate the cheat sheets too.

chalz
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not convinced of just how good a coach Gary is.. I would say he is very mediocre and just got lucky that Baxter, Blake, Dixon and company all turned out much better than they were rated out of HS.

I disagree. While Gary is a sweaty, paranoid, Nixonian madman, he has a great eye for talent that will fit his system and is terrific at developing players that few(if any) of the other top programs wanted. Most of his top players have only been Top 100 or 150 recruits, and are not NBA prototypes. Gary has not won all of those games by accident. The lunatic deserves some respect as a coach.

MulletMan
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Answer the first: The "joke" played on the Crazies is in reference to the appearence of the name Myra, nickname Piggie on the cheer sheet as subosedly being Nik Caner-I'M FROM MARYLAND, NO ONE CAN BEAT ME-Medley's girlfriend. This was inreference to the supposed pre-Duke involvement of Corey Magette with a guy by the name of Myron something that souds like Piggie. The goal was to get the Crazies to chant Myra Piggie thus making hilarious fun of themselves. For the record, while the name/story made it onto the cheer sheet, most people figured out the joke and there was never a chant that occured. Some joke.

Answer the second: Perhaps Gary intentionallly is talking aboutthings not related to the game in order to take pressure of of his team. I mean, are you guys talking about the team? Are the Crazies talking about how to work the Maryland players? No, people are complaining about Gary... perhaps he gotcha.

Answer the third: Unless you are a current Cameron Crazy, your opinion of the cheer sheets is neither here not there. I have, and will continue to maintain, that the Crazies are thier own entity and they are neither better nor worse than when you or I were Crazies... they are what they are and they are whatever this incarnation makes them. If they want cheer sheets, then give 'em a copier. Writing them out free hand would take too long.

Cavlaw
02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I DESPISE the cheersheets. They often contain a smattering of the worst ideas for cheers I've ever heard.

throatybeard
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Unless you are a current Cameron Crazy, your opinion of the cheer sheets is neither here not there. I have, and will continue to maintain, that the Crazies are thier own entity and they are neither better nor worse than when you or I were Crazies... they are what they are and they are whatever this incarnation makes them.

Quoted for truth.

Duvall
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Unless you are a current Cameron Crazy, your opinion of the cheer sheets is neither here not there. I have, and will continue to maintain, that the Crazies are thier own entity and they are neither better nor worse than when you or I were Crazies... they are what they are and they are whatever this incarnation makes them.

Agreed. Let the kids have their fun as they see fit. They're not hurting anyone.

freedevil
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
CivilEng is right on.

Is it wrong to think Gary Williams is not worth wasting your breath over? He's a foolish man with a very odd Napoleon-esque complex about Duke.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
It's true, I think Gary dislikes the atmosphere at Duke, however, I think his comments were good-natured. Probably not something that K would have said, but still good-natured, nonetheless.

tux
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
It may be neither here nor there, but you could say that about almost every opinion expressed on this board:

If you're not currently coaching Duke, your opinion on [insert basketball theory] is neither here nor there.I think you'll agree, though, that a majority of the cheers at any given game have been around for quite some time. The upperclassmen (or sophomores at least) teach all the freshmen the stock Duke cheers every year. So, while the crazies manifest themselves anew every season, any given incarnation is heavily dependent on the past.

Same with the cheer sheets. I bet most crazies today don't even know that the sheets are relatively new. They're just doing what they think has always been done. So, the idea that every year the crazies "decide" whether or not they have cheer sheets is suspect.

There seems to be a segment of folks on the board who have a personal stake in the idea of the cheer sheets.

crimsondevil
02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Answer the second: Perhaps Gary intentionallly is talking aboutthings not related to the game in order to take pressure of of his team. I mean, are you guys talking about the team? Are the Crazies talking about how to work the Maryland players? No, people are complaining about Gary... perhaps he gotcha.

Agree. Gary has gotten into it with the Crazies in the past at the game itself. I believe this is on purpose - directing the chants, etc. his way instead of at his players. It doesn't bother him any to get yelled at.

And honestly, what is the big deal with the cheer sheets? It's hard for me to fathom why anyone would care (one way or the other).

lumberbaron
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
The big deal about cheer sheets is how friggin' lame they are. They make anyone who went to Duke look like a huge dork. When that one got posted on espn.com I got teased by my buddies for weeks. I love Duke hoops and I think Cameron is the best place to see a game in the world. That said, I think the Crazies are a bunch of nerds who came to Duke and heard basketball was the thing to do so they camp out for weeks. Where as guys that played sports in high school and have loved college hoops their whole lives and are far more knowledgeable fans (about more than just Duke) can't go to as many games because they actually have a social life. I'll stand in line for any game, all day and I might even camp out for a night, but anything more than that is ridiculous. The creativity is gone from the crowd because the cool creative guys can't go to games any more!! I know this may be an unpopular view, but I think the crazies are pretty brutal.

Clipsfan
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
It's true, I think Gary dislikes the atmosphere at Duke, however, I think his comments were good-natured. Probably not something that K would have said, but still good-natured, nonetheless.

I think that he may want his comments to come across as good-natured, but I think that at the core they most likely are not. I'm sure that all the years of chants aimed at him, not to mention the beatdowns his team has received at times, have definitely made him bitter.

SWEAT, GARY, SWEAT