PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hairston recruitment

dukefan47
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
read the article on the front page and:
i say we offer him and lock him up now it sounds like he would commit
i know someone that goes to school wiht him and he said he would probably commit if he got offered

he did well in TOC also:

"Big man Joshua Hairston is as polished of a power forward as you'll find in the 2010 class. The 6-foot-7 forward can go inside and out with the best of them. He was strong all weekend and made plays when he needed to. It's easy to see why nearly all of the big-time programs in the Big East and ACC are spending as much time as they can recruiting him."

Classof06
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
read the article on the front page and:
i say we offer him and lock him up now it sounds like he would commit
i know someone that goes to school wiht him and he said he would probably commit if he got offered

he did well in TOC also:

"Big man Joshua Hairston is as polished of a power forward as you'll find in the 2010 class. The 6-foot-7 forward can go inside and out with the best of them. He was strong all weekend and made plays when he needed to. It's easy to see why nearly all of the big-time programs in the Big East and ACC are spending as much time as they can recruiting him."

I too was intrigued by the article on the front page. I like the fact that Duke doesn't go after kids until later in their HS careers but if this kid is that legit, it can't hurt to take a look at him. Given the amount of programs that are chasing him, we might have to move in quick. Very interesting.

Oriole Way
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey, if we can give Dave McClure a scholarship, can't hurt to lock this kid up. Worst case scenario, you'll have a 6'8 versatile role player.

dukefan47
05-29-2008, 05:34 PM
I too was intrigued by the article on the front page. I like the fact that Duke doesn't go after kids until later in their HS careers but if this kid is that legit, it can't hurt to take a look at him. Given the amount of programs that are chasing him, we might have to move in quick. Very interesting.

but if we want him we need to offer him this summer because he said he will commit at the start of his junior year

SilkyJ
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Not that this necessarily means anything, but he isn't even ranked on scout.com. Just sayin.

The article said we were already "looking" at him.

roywhite
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Not that this necessarily means anything, but he isn't even ranked on scout.com. Just sayin.

The article said we were already "looking" at him.

FWIW:

1. Scout has ranked only the Top 15 in the Class of 2010; Rivals only the Top 10, and no, Hairston is not on either list.

2. Obviously, it's early to evaluate fairly the class of 2010, just completing their sophomore year. Michael Jordan, for example, had just finished his season playing on the Jayvee team

3. Hairston sounds like a very good prospect, and has serious interest and reported offers from Georgetown and Ohio State, for example.

4. Didn't DeMarcus Nelson "commit" to Duke at this point? Wasn't it after his team participated in the Bob Gibbons tournament his sophomore year, and DeMarcus came over and talked with Coach K?

5. It's the off-season; gives us something to talk about while we fill out our 2011 lineups. :)

pfrduke
05-29-2008, 06:24 PM
4. Didn't DeMarcus Nelson "commit" to Duke at this point? Wasn't it after his team participated in the Bob Gibbons tournament his sophomore year, and DeMarcus came over and talked with Coach K?

Yes. From what I remember, Redick was locked up very, very early in his junior year too - September, or maybe early October.

Bluedog
05-29-2008, 07:58 PM

DeMarcus: "believed to be the earliest basketball commitment at Duke ... verbally committed to the Blue Devils in May of 2002, a week before the end of his sophomore year of high school"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152123

dukefan47
05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
i think we need to start offering players over the summer for 2010
i know we are still working on 09 big time but many schools have already offered a few kids and have a commitment from 1...
just my thoughts....

dukeballer2294
05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
but if we want him we need to offer him this summer because he said he will commit at the start of his junior year

not neccesarly because he would just give a verbal he can't sign his loi yet

gotham devil
05-29-2008, 11:34 PM
It doesn't mean anything.
Rest assured, he's one of the top recruits in his class (2010).
Since he has joined DC Assault (last year at Vegas), his team has lost only one tournament (at the King James Classic in scenic Akron, against The Family (MI) and Coach Wojciechowski was sitting about three rows over with Frank Heith and Fernandez).

John Thompson and his assistant David Cox (a former DC Assault coach) are all over the three big prospects on that AAU team (Thornton, Atkins, and Hairston).

DevilAlumna
05-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Does anyone know, is Josh Hairston related to the Hairston line of ML Baseball players? (Grandfather Sam, Jerry, and Jerry Jr., among others.)

Indoor66
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know, is Josh Hairston related to the Hairston line of ML Baseball players? (Grandfather Sam, Jerry, and Jerry Jr., among others.)

How about Happy?

dukefan47
06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
2010 PF Josh Hairston was offered during his visit today per scout

link (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3279414)

DukeHoopsGuru
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Dawkins too.

watzone
06-26-2008, 12:48 AM
2010 PF Josh Hairston was offered during his visit today per scout

link (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3279414)

The question is how did he like his visit?

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

Dukebacker
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
So we have offered two in 2010 so far?

Which leaves us with 3 more to offer if Kyle doesn't leave.

Inonehand
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
The news is when someone actually shows up on East Campus and, eventually, makes a few baskets.

roywhite
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
The news is when someone actually shows up on East Campus and, eventually, makes a few baskets.

Speaking of which, any on-campus sightings of Olek Czyz, Miles Plumlee, and Elliot Williams? Seems to me they were going to enroll in a summer school session starting about this time.

Bluedog
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know anything about Hairston. What kind of player is he? Is he more of a SF or PF? I see that he's also been offered by other great programs. According to this article, he's expected to make a decision by November (sorry if this has been linked in the past): http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/052008/05292008/383285

Huh?
06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I want to know more about this kid too, I'm really stoked that we have offered someone so early, have we done this before?

CameronCrazy'11
06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I want to know more about this kid too, I'm really stoked that we have offered someone so early, have we done this before?

Demarc was offered around the same time, but other than that I believe it's fairly atypical for us. But times are changin'

devilboomer
06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
^ pretty sure KB was offered in the summer of '07.

Turtleboy
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
The question is how did he like his visit?What's the answer?

watzone
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, let's attempt to talk about Josh Hairston. I have seen the kid play in five games to date and will see him more as time goes on.

Josh started a bit slow at the NBAPA Top 100 camp this past weekend. Part of that was due to the fact that he was getting accustomed to playing with older guys. We are talking some of the best older guys in the country too. He plays for DC Assault 16's on the AAU circuit.

In the third game of the NBAPA, Josh asserted himself and showed why many are so high him. He had become his teams go to guy when he was in the lineup. In fact he scored 11, 17 and 17 in his last games. One has to realize that these are ten man all star teams that split minutes evenly to appreciate those numbers. He averaged close to six rebound per game.

Josh can hit the glass hard and loves to play defense. He showed the ability to post up or go outside to sink 12 foot jumpers. He has range that is getting better each time out and is in one word, versatile.

Josh will quickly tell you that he is a team player first. He holds ten offers, but is really down to four schools at this time. He will make his decision in the Fall. He is a good student and has really nice size for his age.

He played one year of AAU ball with Andre Dawkins and stays in touch with him. He grew up a UNC fan, as did his Dad. This is not uncommon. In our talks, he was very impressed with Duke, the facilities and staff. I go into much more detail on my site, but that is a little bit of info on him.

mr. synellinden
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
According to the article linked on the front page about the NBA top 100 Camp, Bob Gibbons was very impressed with Hairston, ranking him the 21st best player at the camp and selecting him as one of the most promising prospects in the 2010 class.

watzone
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Here is an excerpt from my interview with him.

Were you surprised Duke offered?
I was. Coach K said they don't recruit everybody. My high school coach let me know that they usually don't offer until your senior season. I may be the youngest they have ever offered ... I didn't think they would offer me like that. Coach K made it clear that they really liked me, and wanted me and wanted me to play there. I could see myself playing there.

roywhite
06-26-2008, 01:21 PM
watzone...thanks for the info on Josh Hairston, who sounds like a terrific prospect.

Question---I recall reading somewhere that he has just turned 16, or is not yet 16? Is that accurate? Seems like he has time to work on his strength and his game.

In watching some brief video, I have an impression of him moving very well and being graceful on the court. A very positive thing for a young prospect IMO.

DukeBlood
06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
There was a reply that said "Dawkins too". Did we offer Andre Dawkins from VA? Or did Coach Dawkins offer Josh Hairston a scholly to Stanford?

Watzone, Any chance you can fill us in on some information about Brandon Knight? Or is he not really a Duke type guy?

watzone
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
There was a reply that said "Dawkins too". Did we offer Andre Dawkins from VA? Or did Coach Dawkins offer Josh Hairston a scholly to Stanford?

Watzone, Any chance you can fill us in on some information about Brandon Knight? Or is he not really a Duke type guy?

Okay, one last post. Knight is a Duke type kid in a big way. Dawkins has been offered by Duke.

DukeBlood
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Okay, one last post. Knight is a Duke type kid in a big way. Dawkins has been offered by Duke.

Thank you.

I just find it strange that Dawkins has been offered before Knight.

-jk
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Folks, Watzone and Julio have a quid pro quo relationship. Accept it, please stop the harping, and let's discuss basketball.

regards,

-jk

duke74
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Folks, Watzone and Julio have a quid pro quo relationship. Accept it, please stop the harping, and let's discuss basketball.

regards,

-jk

Touche'. thanks -jk

Bluedawg
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I go into much more detail on my site, but that is a little bit of info on him.

After over 2000 posts i hate to sound so uninformed, but what is your site? Is it a member’s only site or one we all can go to?

Again, excuse my ignorance.

Turtleboy
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM

regards,

-jkDoes anyone else have carte blanche? Perhaps you should make it a sticky. Not everyone has access to the inner circle.

Duke79UNLV77
06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
watzone is a master self-promoter, yet often has good information.
jumbo is snippy as hell, yet can make good points.
also, the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

more interestingly, duke recruits boynton, vinson, hairston, and knight appear to have kicked butt in the nba top 100 camp. i also see that tristan thompson kicked butt. are we still recruiting him, too?

Bob Green
06-26-2008, 07:31 PM
i also see that tristan thompson kicked butt. are we still recruiting him, too?

Tristan Thompson committed to Texas.

Bluedog
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
After over 2000 posts i hate to sound so uninformed, but what is your site? Is it a member’s only site or one we all can go to?

Again, excuse my ignorance.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but watzone provides the link to the site in his first post in this thread (the third post overall). There's some information there for anybody to see, but most of the lengthy posts/articles are for members only. Cheers.

Blueequalslife23
06-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know what the " Hairston Preparing to shut it down" thing on scout means?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Speaking of which, any on-campus sightings of Olek Czyz, Miles Plumlee, and Elliot Williams? Seems to me they were going to enroll in a summer school session starting about this time.

yeah, can't wait for the first reports on the pick up games...

speedevil
06-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Does anyone know what the " Hairston Preparing to shut it down" thing on scout means?

im guessing that he's going to end his recruiting process and decide on a team soon

DukeBlood
06-28-2008, 05:10 AM
im guessing that he's going to end his recruiting process and decide on a team soon

Or that he is going to take a break from all the recruiting that is upon him.

I honestly Dont know what it means. Its either or.

speedevil
06-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Or that he is going to take a break from all the recruiting that is upon him.

I honestly Dont know what it means. Its either or.

i doubt he take a break from all the recruiting that is upon him

SupaDave
06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Does anyone else have carte blanche? Perhaps you should make it a sticky. Not everyone has access to the inner circle.

There is a dark side. LOL!

Blueequalslife23
06-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Has Hairston set a decision date?

dukemomLA
06-30-2008, 01:59 AM
If you want to be on the Blue Devil train, hop on board. (I KNOW you read the DBR website). We can't wait to welcome you with open arms and more enthusiasm and creativity that exists nowhere else in sports.

Come on boy, make your decision now and ignore self-serving influences who are only looking after themselves. (Trust me...a Duke education and the opportunity to play for Coack K and at Cameron will be with you for life).

Just a hug and heads-up from a Duke Mom.

kramerbr
09-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Things could get interesting here pretty quick. With Kelly offered and Hairston taking an unofficial this week http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=786288&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f786 288.html

I am excited to see what happens after Hairston's visit. If he wants to come to Duke, this would be a great time to let the staff know.

watzone
09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I talked to Hairston on Wednesday of last week. I try to stay ahead of the curve on all these visits. I can tell you that he will be here for the Navy game and that is not this week. As for his decision, he has never waivered from saying it would be before his high school basketball season. Still, that could change. Also, I think anytime would be a great time to let the staff know;)

SupaDave
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Things must be going well b/c I'm starting to get my recruiting classes mixed up.

Classof06
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Things must be going well b/c I'm starting to get my recruiting classes mixed up.

Haha, funny you say that because I've been that way for a while.

Between Boynton, Knight, Barnes, Kelly, Hairston, etc., I can't tell who's supposed to come when.

I know Boynton is 2009 and Andre Dawkins will be here in 2010 but that's about it.

bozz03
09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Josh and his parents, Tyler and his parents as well as Andre and his parents will all be on campus next weekend. I believe Mason might be down as well.

It's going to be a big weekend for duke recruiting having all of them on campus together as well as the players being here so they can meet most of them.

watzone
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Josh and his parents, Tyler and his parents as well as Andre and his parents will all be on campus next weekend. I believe Mason might be down as well.

It's going to be a big weekend for duke recruiting having all of them on campus together as well as the players being here so they can meet most of them.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell us more about where you found this breaking news?

Go Duke!

jimsumner
09-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Boynton and Kelly are class of '09.

Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton, Knight, Barnes, Smith, Parker, and Lubick are class of '10.

phaedrus
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Boynton and Kelly are class of '09.

And Plumlee 2.0.

BlueintheFace
09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell us more about where you found this breaking news?

Go Duke!

I doubt this is the source you are looking for, but Georgetown fans seem to be very interested in these boys too and discuss the issue....

http://hoyatalk2.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=16635&page=16

SupaDave
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Go Duke!

Too funny... :)

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Have your welcome signs ready and visible at the Navy game!

Devilsfan
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Hairston or Ryan. My vote goes to Ryan unless... We should take the first one to commit. Personally I hope its Kelly.

watzone
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Sheesh! How has this turned into a Hairston vs Kelly thread? They both have offers folks.

dukeballer2294
09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Sheesh! How has this turned into a Hairston vs Kelly thread? They both have offers folks.

Yes, i agree i mean its not like we have 1 scholarship left and we are choosing the two. IMO we wouldnt offer both of them unless we thought we had a fair shot at both. All in All good point. ^^^

bleeddukeblue
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I would love to have Josh Hairston. I know that he is 2 years away but I like have a very athletic power forward. For Defense! I don't know if this is a fair but I think that Josh could be the Shane Battier type. I would like to see a 4 that will go block shots. That will create alot of fast break plays!!!

jv001
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I would love to have Josh Hairston. I know that he is 2 years away but I like have a very athletic power forward. For Defense! I don't know if this is a fair but I think that Josh could be the Shane Battier type. I would like to see a 4 that will go block shots. That will create alot of fast break plays!!!

Would love to have a Battier type to block shots and hit some big shots as well. Wouldn't mind a shot blocking 5 either.

phaedrus
09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Wouldn't mind a shot blocking 5 either.

Personally, I'd love to see us get a shot-blocking 1. I mean, who else has one of those?

quickgtp
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Personally, I'd love to see us get a shot-blocking 1. I mean, who else has one of those?

We could have if Livingston had arrived on campus for one year!

Uncle Drew
09-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Have your welcome signs ready and visible at the Navy game!

CB&B, exactly what should the signs say? I'm well known around here for having little tact and being crass. So it's probably best I didn't think up anything witty to make on a sign. But if someone can come up with some cool sign ideas I'll be more than willing to make a few.

miramar
09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
And Plumlee 2.0.

Lol, but considering he signed first he probably deserves the 1.0.

Either way, I'm just glad I don't have to keep reading the Coach K can't recruit and the Ol' Roy is eating his lunch posts.

jimsumner
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Actually, Plumlee 2.0 hasn't signed anything.

rsvman
09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but is this Hairston kid related in any way to the world famous "Happy" Hairston, who played for the Lakers way back in the day?

mgtr
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but is this Hairston kid related in any way to the world famous "Happy" Hairston, who played for the Lakers way back in the day?

I aksed this question some months ago, and don't think I ever received an answer. If I did, I missed it. I would like to know -- Hairston isn't that common a name, and the age would be about right.

kramerbr
09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I aksed this question some months ago, and don't think I ever received an answer. If I did, I missed it. I would like to know -- Hairston isn't that common a name, and the age would be about right.

Josh isn't his son and it doesn't appear he'd be a nephew because both of Happy's sisters live in LA. Happy did pass away (2001) at the age of 58 with prostrate cancer (rest in peace).

The link below lists his family members and also a little about Happy.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E1DC1438F931A35756C0A9679C8B 63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

CLT Devil
09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Coming for an official visit this weekend. I'm pretty excited because he has said if everything goes perfect he could committ as early as during his visit. This would be huge, IMO.

Also, he's a big fan of Singler and looks forward to playing against him on Sat in a pickup game. Respects Kyle's game and wants to learn from him. All encouraging news.

Ignatius07
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
How do you know this (particularly the second part)? Are you from Spotsylvania?

CLT Devil
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Don't want to get in trouble with the 'Mods' or anyone else, but it was a direct quote from Josh. He's also played against KB and Mason and said they had a great time.

jimsumner
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Note to mods.

Can we change the thread title so that Hairston's name is spelled correctly?

Basic courtesy.

Thanks.

jimsumner
09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Much obliged.

duke5021
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
they come from a premium article on the DI rivals board.

can you not say that on this board?

JasonEvans
09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
they come from a premium article on the DI rivals board.

can you not say that on this board?

If you want to say it, I guess you can but know that you are most likely violating the agreement you have with the DevilInsider folks to not use their premium information elsewhere. It is, as far as I know, no concern of DBR that you do this but I think it is possible you open yourself up to a lawsuit or at least to having your premium membership revoked if you spread other site's paid-for info here.

--Jason "I am not a lawyer, but I play one on the DBR sometimes" Evans

CLT Devil
09-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Never heard of Devil Insider, much less subscribe. Actually from an article in the local paper, print version.

dkbaseball
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
If you want to say it, I guess you can but know that you are most likely violating the agreement you have with the DevilInsider folks to not use their premium information elsewhere. It is, as far as I know, no concern of DBR that you do this but I think it is possible you open yourself up to a lawsuit or at least to having your premium membership revoked if you spread other site's paid-for info here.

Not a case I'd want to take. Damages are all but impossible to prove, and such agreements run afoul of the spirit of basic public policy, starting with the First Amendment, that encourages widespread dissemination of information.

kramerbr
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Any difference in this thread and "Hairston's Visit" thread on page 2?

C'mon mod's............:D

Bob Green
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Any difference in this thread and "Hairston's Visit" thread on page 2?

C'mon mod's............:D

No difference and the two threads have now been merged.

mgtr
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Josh isn't his son and it doesn't appear he'd be a nephew because both of Happy's sisters live in LA. Happy did pass away (2001) at the age of 58 with prostrate cancer (rest in peace).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E1DC1438F931A35756C0A9679C8B 63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Thanks for the info. I hope this Hairston is half as good as the elder (non-related) Hairston.

watzone
09-11-2008, 12:03 PM

I think he was talking of a post which was removed that stated the information seemingly came from DI. I certainly didn't see it in the print media yesterday and have serious doubts that it was after a google search which included local papers near Hairstons home town. I keep uo with recruiting a little bit and don't miss too much. Cease and desist orders can be issued and sometimes do the trick. Anyhow, that can or worms is for the off topic court;)

Josh will be in town soon enough.

Devilsfan
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Rumor has it that there's an in house visit tonight. Any other info available?

watzone
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Rumor has it that there's an in house visit tonight. Any other info available?

In some places, yes. If you type the "rumored" players name in a search engine, go to news, there is nothing public at this time. While it is not a big deal, it is still something difficult to talk about for obvious reasons. And to think, there was a time when any rumor had to be presented with a link or it was frowned upon to mention it;)

Back to Josh Hairston. He is a perfect fit for Duke in more ways than one.

west_coast_devil
09-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Ran across this article surfing the internet; thought it might be relevant for this thread.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/092008/09112008/409812

BlueintheFace
09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Ran across this article surfing the internet; thought it might be relevant for this thread.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/092008/09112008/409812

very relevant and very awesome!!! It looks like it is going to be us and Virginia.

SilkyJ
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
let's pack those stands again at Wally Wade, not only for our team but for the several players that will be visiting this weekend. And let's get a W for both those reasons as well!

Devilsfan
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Hope dinner went well tonight and we all can solely focus on football this Saturday.

DukeDevilDeb
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM

Sorry for the personal nature of the question, but you seem to think and write like a man, yet you talk about PROSTRATE (sic) cancer??? Come on... the prostate is the gland that becomes cancerous. Prostrate means to lie face down on the ground, usually to show submission (like Don't you think all Tar Heels should prostrate themselves before all Blue Devils? :D)

Go Devils!

watzone
09-12-2008, 12:28 AM
very relevant and very awesome!!! It looks like it is going to be us and Virginia.

Uhhhh no. Josh and Tyler dropped UVA after a discussion together early this week. Other than that tidbit, I am playing Schultz. http://p-images.veoh.com/thumb/w277/user-SgtSchultz19.jpg

kramerbr
09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Sorry for the personal nature of the question, but you seem to think and write like a man, yet you talk about PROSTRATE (sic) cancer??? Come on... the prostate is the gland that becomes cancerous. Prostrate means to lie face down on the ground, usually to show submission (like Don't you think all Tar Heels should prostrate themselves before all Blue Devils? :D)

Go Devils!

Just trying to answer someones question on the board.

Sorry for the typo boss.

BlueintheFace
09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I may be wrong, but the first time I read that article I could have sworn it had a quote from his father saying he wanted Josh to narrow the list to two after this weekend with the implication that it would be UVA and Duke. Could it have been edited. Some of the posters on TDD obviously read it that way too when it was first posted there... Could it have been edited for a misquote? very odd.

Devilsfan
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Any word on how last night's five star dinner went?

kramerbr
09-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Are there any current or former Duke players that Hairston might be similar to?

Or even just any player in general that Hairston's game is similar too?

watzone
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I may be wrong, but the first time I read that article I could have sworn it had a quote from his father saying he wanted Josh to narrow the list to two after this weekend with the implication that it would be UVA and Duke. Could it have been edited. Some of the posters on TDD obviously read it that way too when it was first posted there... Could it have been edited for a misquote? very odd.

Who are you going to trust? UVA is out of it. VT is ahead of them and has been.

BlueintheFace
09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Who are you going to trust? UVA is out of it. VT is ahead of them and has been.

No, I trust you watzone. I'm just wondering about whether the article was edited...

El_Diablo
09-13-2008, 08:09 AM

I saw Mason and Marshall Plumlee walking around the Bryan Center on Friday with Coach Collins and Coach James.

Are Thornton, Hairston, and Dawkins all still expected to be in Durham today?

bdh21
10-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Registration may be required, but the Washington Post has a nice video on Josh Hairston (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2008/10/23/VI2008102301334.html).

DavidBenAkiva
10-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the video link! Josh Hairston seems like a really great kid - he's obviously smart and seems to have his head on straight. Although it will be a couple of years, I am looking forward to see him in a Duke uniform.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Kedsy
10-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the video link! Josh Hairston seems like a really great kid - he's obviously smart and seems to have his head on straight. Although it will be a couple of years, I am looking forward to see him in a Duke uniform.

I agree. I watched that video and I can't wait to see Mr. Hairston in Duke blue.

Inonehand
10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
A friend's son played on Josh's team and said he was absolutely one of the best kids they've ever dealt with. Here and there we slip up...rarely...but Coach K and his staff tend to populate Cameron with very quality people.

studdlee10
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
He sounds liek a great kid. Sounded nervous as hell..but he seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Can't wait to cheer for him.

bigj4194
10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
great vid! thanks! i too am excited to cheer him on!

RainingThrees
12-12-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEinLp5DADE

quickgtp
12-12-2008, 08:55 AM
He sounds like a true team player, and so does Thornton. I am excited to see these guys in Duke blue as well!

Did any of you see the Tyler Thornton video on the right side of that video link? Another team player on the way!

FireOgilvie
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Awesome. It's good to see that Hairston looks like he has some muscle even as a junior in high school.

ddsdevil
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I have a good feeling about this kid. He seems like a very teachable player and will probably flourish under Coach K. Looking forward to seeing him in a Duke uni.

whereinthehellami
01-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I went with my dad last night to check out Josh Hairston play Massaponax. It was my first time seeing him play. We were surprised to see Coach K and Coach Wojo there, sitting at a card table in the corner of the gym. They stayed till about 1.5 minutes left in the game, before giving the Hairstons a quick hand jesture (thumbs up?) and leaving.

Massaponax was not very good. Their tallest player was 6'4" and wasn't very good. Massaponax really didn't have any size. Courtland has 5 players 6'3 or taller that were better than any frontcourt player massaponax had. Massaponax's best player was a jet who couldn't shoot. Courtland had a 20 point lead pretty much from the start, so it was not a very competitive game.

Josh looked to be every bit of 6'8" and 215 ILBs. He was more built than I thought, especially for a junior at his height. Josh has good court presence, no attitude. I saw him directing the offense from the post and communicating with his teammates a fair amount of the time.

I haven't seen a box score from the game but I would guess that Josh had 25+ points, 12+ boards, 3+ blocks, 2+ assists, and maybe a steal or two.

Here are some positives that I saw from Josh last night:

Runs really well
Very smooth
Posted up well and wanted the ball
quick effortless hops in traffic
good quick hands in traffic
decent passer, especially from the post out
nice form on his shot with good ball rotation

Here are some negatives I saw from Josh last night:

out of position on defense alot
lack of domination inside for a 5"+ height advantage (rebounding and blocks)
tendency to float to the side on his jumpshots
cherry picking a fair amount with Coach K in the house
Seemed to coast with the lead
not one dunk (5"+ height advantage)
open court dribbling

All in all though I was impressed. Josh is smooth and heads and shoulders above the competition in this area. My dad commented on how no one seemed to put a body on Josh and it was true. With that said it was interesting that Josh didn't have any dunks in this game. No one could have stopped him. But he seemed content to work off the glass, which he was very effective at.

Despite being impressed I couldn't help think of Joey Beard, who i also saw play in person in high school (South Lakes). Joey was smooth and seemingly could do it all but didn't like to mix it up. Granted their games are different, but that thought kept coming up.

I'm gonna go watch Josh again in February, which will give me something to compare last night's game to.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Hopefully the defensive shortcomings you noticed will be corrected by the men who were in the stands once he gets to Duke. ;)

What? No Chris Collins there? I guess his internal penalty has already started.

dukebballcamper90-91
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I met him at the blue white game this year and took a picture with him. He seemed like a real nice guy, someone I showed the picture, pointed out that Josh had his arm around me like we were boys. I have it on my wall. He seemed real appreciative about the support he was already getting @ CIS.

Jim3k
01-03-2009, 02:42 PM
From the clip, it looks like he needs to develop a left hand.

whereinthehellami
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I went with my dad last night to check out Josh Hairston play Massaponax. It was my first time seeing him play. We were surprised to see Coach K and Coach Wojo there, sitting at a card table in the corner of the gym. They stayed till about 1.5 minutes left in the game, before giving the Hairstons a quick hand jesture (thumbs up?) and leaving.

Massaponax was not very good. Their tallest player was 6'4" and wasn't very good. Massaponax really didn't have any size. Courtland has 5 players 6'3 or taller that were better than any frontcourt player massaponax had. Massaponax's best player was a jet who couldn't shoot. Courtland had a 20 point lead pretty much from the start, so it was not a very competitive game.

Josh looked to be every bit of 6'8" and 215 ILBs. He was more built than I thought, especially for a junior at his height. Josh has good court presence, no attitude. I saw him directing the offense from the post and communicating with his teammates a fair amount of the time.

I haven't seen a box score from the game but I would guess that Josh had 25+ points, 12+ boards, 3+ blocks, 2+ assists, and maybe a steal or two.

Runs really well
Very smooth

open court dribbling

All in all though I was impressed. Josh is smooth and heads and shoulders above the competition in this area. My dad commented on how no one seemed to put a body on Josh and it was true. With that said it was interesting that Josh didn't have any dunks in this game. No one could have stopped him. But he seemed content to work off the glass, which he was very effective at.

Despite being impressed I couldn't help think of Joey Beard, who i also saw play in person in high school (South Lakes). Joey was smooth and seemingly could do it all but didn't like to mix it up. Granted their games are different, but that thought kept coming up.

I'm gonna go watch Josh again in February, which will give me something to compare last night's game to.

Per the Free Lance Star (http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/012009/01032009/436196), Hairston had 27 points in the game.

whereinthehellami
02-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Runs really well
Very smooth

open court dribbling

I saw Josh Hariston (Courtland Cougars) play @ King George last night. King George is a team devoid of talent and height, not much competetion for Hairston and the rest of his team. The Cougars pressed most of the game and were up by 20-30 for the whole game. Josh sat most of the 4th period. In the press, Josh played deep, so if King George beat the press (rare) they had to contend with Josh and his 5 plus inch height advantage. Josh had a few nice athletic interceptions (steals) that really showed off his length, leaping ability, and body control. I'm guessing he had ~5 steals.

From an offensive standpoint he let the game come to him. In the first half he spent most of his touches passing out of double and triple teams. Josh is a decent passer, one of the more consistent parts to his game. i think he ended up with around 10 points in the first half. In the second half he seeemed to hunt his shot more. He put up a couple of forced shots and had at least one air ball. When he was open he showed nice form, good ball rotation on his shot, and decent elevation on his shot. He made a couple of wide open 3s. Josh had one dunk off a rebound and missed one in transition, in which he looked like he was trying to get on Sportscenter. A couple of times Josh tried to get to the rim from the wing with dribble penetration and got called for traveling. Josh needs to work on his ball handling in traffic. When Josh had the ball around the rim he is effective (especially at this level) as he is long and quick. Josh likes to work off the glass when down low. With his height advantage, i would like to see more power and dunks. He plays down to the height of his competition. I'd say Josh finished with 25-30 points.

Josh plays defense like you would expect from a high schooler who is greatly more talented than his peers. He relies on his height too much and is out of position alot. Josh does try though and can be found checking smaller guys on the perimeter with decent footwork. Doesn't like contact though and therefore doesn't clean up on the glass like he should with this kind of competition. Josh probably had 15-20 boards but should have had alot more considering the competition and his height and athletic advantage. Josh had about 3-4 blocks. Again with his advantages he should have had alot more. Being out of position and shying away from contact made it difficult to try and block shots.

The positives

Smooth, long, and quick (at the high school level)
Good natured, great attitude (smiles, shakes hands with player, refs, and coaches)
Nice form on his shot, great ball rotation
Quick hands and movement on the glass
Decent ball handler in the open court, led some breaks
Puts the effort in on the defensive end, moving his feet, anticipation
Runs the break like a deer

The negatives

Ball handling in traffic, not very smooth, traveling calls
lack of dunks for his height and athletiscm versus this level of competetion
lack of toughness underneath (showed in rebounding and blocks)
defensive positioning, out of position for blocks and rebounding

This was my second time seeing Josh play. I look forward to seeing him play a couple more times next year. I had to keep reminding myself that Josh is only a junior and has 1 more year and 2 more summers to develop. With that said Josh looks like a 3 (needs better ball handling) or a finesse 4 (needs more weight and toughness). i really wish josh wasn't playing in this area for HS ball. It is awful. I can't imagine worse HS basketball. His team is okay but the competition is just not there. I can't see how he gets much out of these games. Thankfully he plays on a good AAU team.

lifelongdevil
02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
the recurring question 2010 post players?

from what I have seen and read above, Hairston is a 4 at best. We have plumlee and kelly coming in next year, with Zoub and Lance being gone after 2010. As of yet out 2010 class lacks a true inside presence and I think our only visible offer is Josh Smith, who is said to be a heavy west coast and UCLA lean. Maybe ive missed something...

BlueintheFace
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
the recurring question 2010 post players?

from what I have seen and read above, Hairston is a 4 at best. We have plumlee and kelly coming in next year, with Zoub and Lance being gone after 2010. As of yet out 2010 class lacks a true inside presence and I think our only visible offer is Josh Smith, who is said to be a heavy west coast and UCLA lean. Maybe ive missed something...

Scroll down the list of top100 2010 recruits and tell me how many of those players look like true big men that bang around in the lane in a way that Hairston does not.

Slim pickings my friend... We got one of the best.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 07:44 AM
http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2009/032009/0315courtlandstate

Courtland High, paced by Josh Hairston, rolled to a AA Virginia State Championship by a 93-69 score over Salem.

Josh had 29 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 blocks.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I watched the AA State Title game on TV last night and Hairston was a man among boys. Hairston scored 29 points without forcing anything and without his teammates forcing anything into him. Hairston's team was far superior to Salem -- who was a Cinderella team that finished the year with 12 losses (Hairston's team lost 2 games to AAA Landstown [a Tidewater area school rich with athletic talent and former home of Percy Harvin] and Richmond Private School Power Benedictine [Ed Davis played there last season]) -- but Josh was quite impressive. I think he will fit in beautifully at Duke. His build reminds me a lot of Dante Cunningham of Villanova. Josh has got the potential to be a great defender/shot blocker and seems to have a versatile offensive game. Very good foul shooter. I also loved that he seemed to genuinely care about his teammates from 2-14 and seemed well-liked in return.

As for the earlier Joey Beard comparison, being from NOVA, I got to see Mr. Beard play a number of times at South Lakes and thought very highly of Joey, but Hairston is on another level.

As for complaining about Hairston as a recruit, are you serious? Only a 4 star? I have no idea how many star recruit he is, but give me more 4 star talents if that is what he is. I can tell you that there aren't many better than him across the country. Aside from his obvious talent and the fact that he is excited to be a Blue Devil, Mr. Hairston seems from all I have heard to be an excellent person. Plus, he has a great relationship with Thornton and Dawkins...Sounds like an outstanding start for team chemistry.

Once again, the coaching staff has delivered bigtime!

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Josh Hairston is a 5 star recruit according to rivals. He is rated #14 in his class and #6 amongst power forwards. I was going to ask...what does a 5 star recruit look like if he isn't one? In the end, the number of stars doesn't really matter. Let's jusy say, he's good. Really good.

Also, I may have given Salem an extra loss. The article I just read had them finishing at 18-11 (not 18-12). Sorry for that.

roywhite
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
As for complaining about Hairston as a recruit, are you serious? Only a 4 star? I have no idea how many star recruit he is, but give me more 4 star talents if that is what he is. I can tell you that there aren't many better than him across the country. Aside from his obvious talent and the fact that he is excited to be a Blue Devil, Mr. Hairston seems from all I have heard to be an excellent person. Plus, he has a great relationship with Thornton and Dawkins...Sounds like an outstanding start for team chemistry.

Thanks for the report, Dukie V(A)...

I think the posters are referring to Josh likely playing the "4" position, or power forward, as opposed to our hopes for a true "5" or back-to-the basket dominating center.

I'm quite happy with what what I see and hear about young Mr. Hairston. The Class of 2010 is shaping up to be very special.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I apologize for the misread...I think he could play a "4" or "3" for Duke if we actually had those positions. He's going to be a great addition. Very versatile. Again, sorry for being over-zealous there.

RainingThrees
03-16-2009, 03:28 AM
4 minutes reel of Josh, he has got some ups. Not all dunks though, and it will be one of 3 videos. We will see a lot of him before he comes to Duke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Sp9I0rZts

whereinthehellami
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I watched the AA State Title game on TV last night and Hairston was a man among boys. Hairston scored 29 points without forcing anything and without his teammates forcing anything into him. Hairston's team was far superior to Salem -- who was a Cinderella team that finished the year with 12 losses (Hairston's team lost 2 games to AAA Landstown [a Tidewater area school rich with athletic talent and former home of Percy Harvin] and Richmond Private School Power Benedictine [Ed Davis played there last season]) -- but Josh was quite impressive. I think he will fit in beautifully at Duke. His build reminds me a lot of Dante Cunningham of Villanova. Josh has got the potential to be a great defender/shot blocker and seems to have a versatile offensive game. Very good foul shooter. I also loved that he seemed to genuinely care about his teammates from 2-14 and seemed well-liked in return.

As for the earlier Joey Beard comparison, being from NOVA, I got to see Mr. Beard play a number of times at South Lakes and thought very highly of Joey, but Hairston is on another level.

Josh has all the skills but i will be interested to see how his toughness develops over the course of next year. He will be the man on next year's squad. Josh deferred to the seniors on his team this year and was content to take a back seat to them, while being the best player on the court.

My boss sees Mr. Hairston at local AAU events (for his daughter) and says that he is one of the nicest peole he has met. My boss told me that Mr. Hairston was recently saying that if you really want to see what Josh can do check him out with his DC assault AAU squad this summer. The competition is much better.

gotham devil
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.wfls.com/News/FLS/2009/032009/03142009/452359/index_html?page=1