PDA

View Full Version : It could be worse!

dukemsu
03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
How could it be worse, you ask?

Well, we could be Illinois fans.

1. Choked away a first round game they had won (you could say Duke didn't play well, etc., but Duke's loss was not an out and out gag job like that of the Illini).

2. During said game, Illinois AD went crazy on press row and had the unfortunate happenstance of Gregg Doyel in the vicinity. Thusly, Doyel is on every media outlet near Chicago trumpeting the AD as an out of control lunatic. The AD, Guenther, is a bit of a hothead, but it looks to me like another classic Doyel targeting job. The AD loudly referred to Warren Carter as "idiot" when he made a bad play. Not particularly classy, but not first degree felony, either.

3. Speaking of which, Illinois has had a multitude of off the court troubles this year, from DUIs to a particularly nasty alcohol induced incident where the team's third guard crashed his car, and fled the scene. Worst of all, he left behind a passenger who happened to be his teammate, thinking him dead.
And we thought Duke had team chemistry problems this year.

4. On a less life-threatening note, Illlinois lost their best recruit in 15 years when Eric Gordon changed his committment to Indiana, led by Mr. Ethics, Kelvin Sampson.

5. This could be a positive or a negative depending on how you feel about it, but the team is now basically without a mascot after the Chief Illiniwek debate finally ended.

Now, I know it's not particularly mature to compare woes, but when compared with the current environment in Illinois, well, Duke looks pretty damn good. Jon Scheyer most certainly made the right choice, although we all knew that long ago.

And Illinois thought getting mauled by Sean May was the worst thing that could ever happen. Yikes.

dukemsu

jimbonelson
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
i often wondered how illinois let scheyer get out of state. how much pressure must this kid been under with the coach of illinois brother as his high school coach..................sure glad he is a blue devil

hurleyfor3
03-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Wanna have some fun with an Illinois fan? Tell him Bruce Douglas really did foul Dicky Beal.

This is the fanbase that once rushed the court last year when they LOST to Penn State. You try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they're just too funny to be taken seriously.