PDA

View Full Version : NBA Orlando Draft Camp

wolfpackdevil
05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
The biggest pre-draft camp started tuesday in orlando. Most of the nba draft canidates were in orlando for the start of camp.

The big story was that star NC State Center, JJ Hickson, was no where to be found in orlando on tuesday. Coach Lowe said that he was not going to the camp.

This is huge news for the pack and a pretty big sign that we will see Hickson in a Red and Black jersey next season.

Here are some of the key people that were and weren't there:

AT CAMP:
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Danny Green
Demarcus Nelson
James Mays

AT HOME:
JJ Hickson

BenDuke03
05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
I was looking for any word on Nelson's performance but couldn't find anything. Anyone know how he's doing?

Clipsfan
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I was looking for any word on Nelson's performance but couldn't find anything. Anyone know how he's doing?

I don't think that the games started until today (Wed) and go through Fri.

Scarbo
05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
ESPNU for those interested....

Ignatius07
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
The biggest pre-draft camp started tuesday in orlando. Most of the nba draft canidates were in orlando for the start of camp.

The big story was that star NC State Center, JJ Hickson, was no where to be found in orlando on tuesday. Coach Lowe said that he was not going to the camp.

This is huge news for the pack and a pretty big sign that we will see Hickson in a Red and Black jersey next season.

Here are some of the key people that were and weren't there:

AT CAMP:
Ty Lawson
Wayne Ellington
Danny Green
Demarcus Nelson
James Mays

AT HOME:
JJ Hickson

I think the players who think/know they will be drafted in the 1st round do not typically go to the camp. I would be very surprised to see Hickson in Raleigh next year.

roywhite
05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
ESPNU for those interested....

ESPN-Unavailable for me, but a poster (maxcrowder---great name, and great poster) on TDD indicated final stats for Markie:

" Final statline for Demarcus

D statline:
11 pts
4 reb
2 ast
1 st

missed two contested layups and got one blocked. Stats could have been more impressive, 5-5 from the line. All in 20 minutes on the court..."

Maltedone
05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm always intrigued to see the real heights and weights of players at the camp; does anyone have a link to this?

bhd28
05-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm always intrigued to see the real heights and weights of players at the camp; does anyone have a link to this?

Not out yet. I think they measure on Friday. Info should be out next week.

gw67
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
According to the link below, Lawson had a very good day, Gist and Mays had good performances, Nelson played OK, and Green and Ellington struggled.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2008nbapredraftcamp003.asp

gw67

Bluedawg
05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I think the players who think/know they will be drafted in the 1st round do not typically go to the camp. I would be very surprised to see Hickson in Raleigh next year.

I would be surprised also.

pete
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Demarcus had a pretty good game today at Pre-Draft Camp scoring 22 points which led his team in scoring and shot 7 of 12 from the field and for both days shot 10 of 12 from the stripe. I think he will be picked late second round.

wolfpackdevil
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM

well i would think that if that was true that ellington and lawson would'nt be there.

I do think Hickson could deffinatley go, and I think he would have a good pro career if he leaves now.

but if he stayes a couple more years he could be a lottery pick no question

jipops
05-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Based on overall comments by draftexpress on the first two days of the Orlando camp, don't be surprised if Ellington and Green to announce their decisions to come back to Chapel Hill soon. Lawson appears to be a good bet to stay in.

norduck
05-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Based on overall comments by draftexpress on the first two days of the Orlando camp, don't be surprised if Ellington and Green to announce their decisions to come back to Chapel Hill soon. Lawson appears to be a good bet to stay in.

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2958164/

JasonEvans
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
After playing quite well the first couple days Lawson suffers an injury that keeps him out of the rest of the camp. That is the smartest injury in history as there was nothing more that Lawson could gain by continuing to play but he could have suffered if he did not continue to dominate against every other PG he played again. That is one fortunate injury!

Also worth noting that Lawson took a big risk coming to this camp. Most kids in his position - forecast as a late first rounder - avoid playing at this camp out of fear they will play poorly and lose their first-round statue. Lawson took a chance and played and it paid off. Props to him!!

--Jason "Lawson is goneson" Evans

Shammrog
06-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey all - any word yet on leaks of the measurement and testing results from Friday?

bhd28
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey all - any word yet on leaks of the measurement and testing results from Friday?

Can't find anything yet. I will try to post once I see something. DraftExpress usually posts them, so you can keep checking in there if you are anxious (though they don't have it up yet). They have a link to their historical tracker of measurements on the right hand side under "Hot Links" if you are interested in past years (early 90s - 2007, I think).

Nugget
06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Was almost as well-timed as Ronald Curry's in 2001.

bhd28
06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
CDu posted the link to the measurements on the "Guess Demarcus" thread. Here it is again, though it doesn't have everyone (or all measurememts) yet.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2008&sort2=ASC&draft=0&sort=
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Partial-Measurements-and-Combine-Results-Released-2911/

Shammrog
06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
They are all up and in the measurements database on draftexpress.com now.

WHOA! - DeMarcus only measured at 6'1" without shoes, 6'2 1/4" with shoes. I KNEW that the 6'4" listing was BS, but not by that much!

Wingspan 6'10", standing reach (only) 8' 2 1/2". No step vert an excellent 34.5 inches, one step an excellent 38.5". 19 reps on the bench press excellent as well.

Still, way too short. That is going to hurt his draft chances, but I think he's better off undrafted anyway so he can pick his team. Should be able to play in Europe with a shot at the NBA down the road.

Duke79UNLV77
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
same wingspan as 6'8.25" donte green
2nd best measured standing vertical
tied for 8th max vert
tied for 6th in bench press
1st in lane agility
tied for 3rd in 3/4 court sprint.

too bad he's too short and not good enough of a contested shooter for a nba 2G and would have to improve his ball-handling a lot to be a pg.

you can see, though, how he was great at contesting the passing lanes, powering his way to the hoop, and rebounding.

Shammrog
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
same wingspan as 6'8.25" donte green
2nd best measured standing vertical
tied for 8th max vert
tied for 6th in bench press
1st in lane agility
tied for 3rd in 3/4 court sprint.

too bad he's too short and not good enough of a contested shooter for a nba 2G and would have to improve his ball-handling a lot to be a pg.

you can see, though, how he was great at contesting the passing lanes, powering his way to the hoop, and rebounding.

Agreed. Another thing that cracks me up are so-called draft sites. Draftexpress.com's site, in its profile on DeMarcus up all year, called him an "average athlete" in critiquing his NBA chances. Oops.

CDu
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Agreed. Another thing that cracks me up are so-called draft sites. Draftexpress.com's site, in its profile on DeMarcus up all year, called him an "average athlete" in critiquing his NBA chances. Oops.

Yeah, if there's one thing I'd never say about Nelson it's that he's only an average athlete.

Maltedone
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I love data.

Would anyone have guessed that Kevin Love, consistently labeled as not being a great athlete, would have almost exactly the same vertical (standing and one step), lane agility, and 3/4 court sprint as Beasley?

I will admit to being fairly surprised by this.

CDu
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I love data.

Would anyone have guessed that Kevin Love, consistently labeled as not being a great athlete, would have almost exactly the same vertical (standing and one step), lane agility, and 3/4 court sprint as Beasley?

Yeah, I'm shocked by this. It has to do wonders for Love's draft status, as athleticism was pretty much the only knock on his game. There isn't a more polished, more versatile PF available in the draft than Love.

Clipsfan
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I love data.

He's been working really hard on improving his ability at the combine skills and it showed.

Shammrog
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
He's been working really hard on improving his ability at the combine skills and it showed.

Yes, and in fairness to Love; to anyone who watched him play, he was actually a pretty decent athlete. Ran the court well, plenty of (explosive even) dunks. The "bad athlete" rap comes from the genius prognosticators who saw he was a. a little tubby, and b. a big white guy - which add up by themselves to their conclusion.

pfrduke
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked by this. It has to do wonders for Love's draft status, as athleticism was pretty much the only knock on his game. There isn't a more polished, more versatile PF available in the draft than Love.

That knock came more from appearance than reality. People look at him as a pudgy white guy, and assume he's unathletic. But having watched him play in several games, he has very good athleticism - he's a very adept post defender, with surprisingly quick feet and a quick jump. His game against Texas A&M in the tournament, against bigger and quicker post players, was a defensive exhibition, and really showed off his athleticism. If he sinks out of the lottery, a playoff team is going to end up with an extremely valuable commodity.

bhd28
06-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I was actually shocked at Rose's lane agaility drill, as he could get to the hoop on anyone. I wonder if he slipped or something. Oh... and seing Beasley at 6'7" w/o shoes makes me wonder if that seals who goes #1.

Clipsfan
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, and in fairness to Love; to anyone who watched him play, he was actually a pretty decent athlete. Ran the court well, plenty of (explosive even) dunks. The "bad athlete" rap comes from the genius prognosticators who saw he was a. a little tubby, and b. a big white guy - which add up by themselves to their conclusion.

He didn't actually have plenty of dunks, really, barely dunking at all during the first half of the season and drawing tons of noise for any kind of dunk even during the second half because we weren't used to seeing him get above the rim. He had one block that I remember in Feb/March where he was a good 10-12" above the rim and that impressed the hell out of me. Supposedly, around the beginning of the year he told the strength coach at UCLA that he wanted to change his routine to prepare for the NBA (including vertical) and it showed. It was also noted somewhere that he lost 12 pounds from the end of the season to before the combine, so he's been getting in better shape. He's not an incredible leaper and not very quick (or wasn't during the season) but he has amazing hands and really knows how to play.

Shammrog
06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
He didn't actually have plenty of dunks, really, barely dunking at all during the first half of the season and drawing tons of noise for any kind of dunk even during the second half because we weren't used to seeing him get above the rim. He had one block that I remember in Feb/March where he was a good 10-12" above the rim and that impressed the hell out of me. Supposedly, around the beginning of the year he told the strength coach at UCLA that he wanted to change his routine to prepare for the NBA (including vertical) and it showed. It was also noted somewhere that he lost 12 pounds from the end of the season to before the combine, so he's been getting in better shape. He's not an incredible leaper and not very quick (or wasn't during the season) but he has amazing hands and really knows how to play.

It could be that I just saw mostly the end of the season, and certainly I probably saw a disproportionate share of "highlights." In the past, though, I have seen some very athletic plays by him and some pretty good dunks (e.g., high school).

I agree he is not an incredible leaper/athlete; but he is also not a "bad" athlete. Overall, I think he is at least average and probably a little above for a player of his size.

Clipsfan
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
It could be that I just saw mostly the end of the season, and certainly I probably saw a disproportionate share of "highlights." In the past, though, I have seen some very athletic plays by him and some pretty good dunks (e.g., high school).

I agree he is not an incredible leaper/athlete; but he is also not a "bad" athlete. Overall, I think he is at least average and probably a little above for a player of his size.

I think we're in agreement on this...And his fundamentals etc are why he's being considered in the top 10 of the draft.

Shammrog
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I think we're in agreement on this...And his fundamentals etc are why he's being considered in the top 10 of the draft.

I would actually take him if I were a GM. Depending on the team, even as high as 4 or 5. (I think Minnesota is giving him a serious look at 5.) He is a really, really good basketball player and seems like a good kid. I think he will only get better if/when he continues to get in better shape. And - even without regard to his very good bench numbers - I think he is physically a very strong player at his very young age.

pfrduke
06-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I think he is physically a very strong player at his very young age.

You mean just because he can throw a chest pass from baseline to baseline on a rope? I agree (obviously) - Love has pretty freakish strength.

Shammrog
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
You mean just because he can throw a chest pass from baseline to baseline on a rope? I agree (obviously) - Love has pretty freakish strength.

Funny you should mention that - that freaked me out! I actually tried it (and, weightlifting wise, I am stronger than Love) on our neighborhood court. I could make it about 2/3 or so, with a monumental heave.

I *cannot* for the life of me see how he does that! Part of it I think is also relative size - the basketball is too big for me to really get it close to my body and have enough extension to really get a good throw. To Love (and with his arms) the basketball is much smaller - like me throwing, say, a volleyball. I think I (or other normal sized people) could do much better with a smaller ball, even of equivalent weight to a full-size basketball.

Still, regardless of the reason, that was pretty darn freaky!

CDu
06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Funny you should mention that - that freaked me out! I actually tried it (and, weightlifting wise, I am stronger than Love) on our neighborhood court. I could make it about 2/3 or so, with a monumental heave.

I *cannot* for the life of me see how he does that! Part of it I think is also relative size - the basketball is too big for me to really get it close to my body and have enough extension to really get a good throw. To Love (and with his arms) the basketball is much smaller - like me throwing, say, a volleyball. I think I (or other normal sized people) could do much better with a smaller ball, even of equivalent weight to a full-size basketball.

Still, regardless of the reason, that was pretty darn freaky!

Another aspect may be technique. Like hitting a golfball or hitting a baseball, technique and timing may play a part. Flicking the wrists at just the right time, may be a part of why Love can pass it so far.

Shammrog
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Another aspect may be technique. Like hitting a golfball or hitting a baseball, technique and timing may play a part. Flicking the wrists at just the right time, may be a part of why Love can pass it so far.

That is almost certainly very true. And when it comes to coordination and sports technique, well, let's say Shammrog does much, much better in the strength department...