PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz article - Tar Heels scoff at 'Testing the Waters'

VaDukie
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Some very juicy quotes sprinkled throughout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3415036

JasonEvans
05-28-2008, 12:50 PM

If I was a Carolina fan, I would not enjoy reading that article.

--Jason ";)" Evans

roywhite
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM

--Jason ";)" Evans

Reading between the lines perhaps, but I don't detect much joy over their Carolina basketball experience, especially going forward. As they look at their own professional prospects, they may feel Hansbrough has had too much of the attention and too much of the offense.

stickdog
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Jump in! The water is fine!

Duvall
05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Maybe they've changed the rules or I'm reading this wrong, but this:

"If I can't get a guaranteed contract in the second round, then I can come back to school," Green said.

appears to reflect a severe misunderstanding of the relevant rules.

Ignatius07
05-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I think he must mean if he can't get a guaranteed contract prior to June 16, though I'm not sure if teams do that.

On a related note, apparently Lawson has been greeted with something less than enthusiasm from UNC fans, according to this article (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10844747). He's probably gone anyway, but this probably isn't helping things.

roywhite
05-28-2008, 01:12 PM

No telling with Danny Green, but I took that to mean that he is seeking verbal assurance (prior to the draft) that either he will be drafted in the first round or that a team picking in the second round (probably in the first 1/3 or so) would assure him that they would take him if available and offer him a guaranteed contract.

CDu
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM

It's not a misunderstanding of the rules. The rules say that first-round picks HAVE to be guaranteed. However, they don't say that second-round picks CANNOT be guaranteed. Further, it says nothing about whether a team can make a "promise" to a player before the draft.

What I think Green is saying is that if a team will promise to draft him AND guarantee him money, he'll stay in the draft. If he can't get a guarantee, he may pull out of the draft.

OldPhiKap
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Danny Green sounds like a great teammate. And he dances well, too.

Duvall
05-28-2008, 01:43 PM
It's not a misunderstanding of the rules. The rules say that first-round picks HAVE to be guaranteed. However, they don't say that second-round picks CANNOT be guaranteed. Further, it says nothing about whether a team can make a "promise" to a player before the draft.

What I think Green is saying is that if a team will promise to draft him AND guarantee him money, he'll stay in the draft. If he can't get a guarantee, he may pull out of the draft.

That makes sense, but a promise of a guarantee is not a guarantee. It sounds like Green may be comfortable with either.

BlueDevilBaby
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Maybe Green means that if he's told that if he's told he won't go until the second round and, therefore, cannot get a guaranteed contract, he will pull out of the draft and return to school. Why not just take your chances, Danny?;)

dukeENG2003
05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
McBob was a 2nd round pick who got guaranteed money

mpj96
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Here's hoping they light it up at pre-draft camp.

weezie
05-28-2008, 06:02 PM

--Jason ";)" Evans

Goodie! I know a couple of poor souls to send it to right away.

freedevil
05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
This is just an unbelievable quote from Danny Green:

"I'm not in Tyler's situation," Green said. "He's breaking records, and he has money. I'm not broke-poor, but my family doesn't have as much as Tyler. He's more fortunate, and I'm trying to do what's best for my family."

Bob Green
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Danny Green is limping...badly. That is the word (http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2949571/) out of Orlando.

weezie
05-28-2008, 06:36 PM

So much for hugs and team love. Sounds down right cranky.

Franzez
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
So much for hugs and team love. Sounds down right cranky.
Sounds like jealousy,and didn't I mention before that his father was released from prison this year.

If the NFL teams can bring up a red flag on McFadden for potential character issues due to the environment he grew up in,then NBA teams should as well.

Danny Green is seeming like he has the potential to get into trouble when he gets the NBA money.

Yeah all 2nd round picks are unguranteed,but usually picks 31-40 are typically 2 year gurantees with the team option being picked up.

Duvall
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds like jealousy,and didn't I mention before that his father was released from prison this year.

If the NFL teams can bring up a red flag on McFadden for potential character issues due to the environment he grew up in,then NBA teams should as well.

Danny Green is seeming like he has the potential to get into trouble when he gets the NBA money.

Don't do this.

Ignatius07
05-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Seriously. I think McFadden actually had several "incidents" (arrests, possibly), in addition to a large number of foreboding hangers-on.

devildeac
05-28-2008, 08:14 PM
can we have a large contingent from the DBR joining in a rousing chorus of "ahhhh, see ya?":D

WiJoe
05-28-2008, 09:42 PM
If these guys aren't "testing the waters," then they should hire agents. Simple as that.

So really, despite their unintelligent rants, they are testing the waters.

Nick Cafardo is a blabbering idiot.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moonpie23
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
as much as id like to see green leave unc, there's absolutely ZERO evidence that he would "likely be a problem"...

that's bunk...

CameronCrazy'11
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
if these three actually all do leave, unc is going to have potentially crippling guard problems next year. They'll be losing four (Thomas graduating) and getting just one next year. The only guards they'll have who are worth any salt will be frasor and ginyard (who are both okay, but not spectacular) and 4-star recruit Larry Drew. No other guards on the UNC averaged even two minutes per game last year. This is even worse than it sounds because both Frasor (6'3") and Drew (6'0") are point guards, so Ginyard is the only real shooting guard worth anything on their roster. This means that either they're going to have to stick on of their point guards at the two or give some not very good players significant playing time. While UNC would have one of the strongest frontcourts in the country, the backcourt will probably be the worst in the ACC without any real stars and absolutely no depth. That's probably why they just picked up that 3-star shooting guard recruit from Durham.

Will this be fatal for the holes? As long as UNC's guards can pass the ball to Hanstravel, they can't stil beat a lot of teams out of conference. But they're really going to get creamed against tougher teams. As Duke fans know, you can't rely just on perimeter play, but tarholes are gonna find out that you can't count on just post players either. My guess is that if these three all leave UNC will be nationally ranked but just barely, and 3rd or 4th in the ACC at best. However the media has such a Carolina fetish that even if these three do leave a lot of sportswriters will still put Carolina at preason No. 1 or at least top 5 because "like omg hansbrough is sooooooo good."

BCGroup
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
"Ty Lawson feels betrayed while Danny Green feels ignored and both are refreshingly speaking their minds in Orlando at the pre-draft workout camp.
Enter Roy Williams. The UNC coach flew to Florida to dine with the temporarily erstwhile Tar Heels, according to an item in the Charlotte Observer."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=roy_to_the_rescue&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Classof06
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM

"I'm not in Tyler's situation," Green said. "He's breaking records, and he has money. I'm not broke-poor, but my family doesn't have as much as Tyler. He's more fortunate, and I'm trying to do what's best for my family."

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm blown away by this comment. There definitely seems to be some underlying tension.

When all these 'Holes declared, I said I'd be surprised if anyone but Hansbrough stayed in the draft. After reading the Katz article and reading comments like Mr. Green's, I think Hansbrough might actually be the only one to pull out of the draft.

That being said, I'm clearly not losing any sleep over this.

SlimSlowSlider
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
There is no draft for Tyler to pull out of - he is coming back.

weezie
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
"Ty Lawson feels betrayed while Danny Green feels ignored and both are refreshingly speaking their minds in Orlando at the pre-draft workout camp.
Enter Roy Williams. The UNC coach flew to Florida to dine with the temporarily erstwhile Tar Heels, according to an item in the Charlotte Observer."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=roy_to_the_rescue&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Gosh! This is getting good! "As the Heel Squirms" I hope Roy didn't get into trouble by paying for that intimate dinner....:rolleyes:

Bluedawg
05-29-2008, 07:44 PM

The list of underclassmen, whether they signed or didn't sign with an agent, who chose not to play and weren't on the physical-only list, is littered with potential first-round picks: Stanford's Robin Lopez, Cal's Ryan Anderson, Arizona's Chase Budinger, Kansas' Mario Chalmers, Memphis' Chris Douglas-Roberts, NC State's J.J. Hickson, Ohio State's Kosta Koufos, Florida's Marreese Speights and Kansas State's Bill Walker.

Is JJ a first round pick?

brevity
05-30-2008, 05:29 AM
In North Carolina's defense, the phrase is part of the vernacular among NBA teams and colleges at this time of the year.

Andy Katz, you lost me at "Carolina's defense."

Edouble
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
if these three actually all do leave, unc is going to have potentially crippling guard problems next year. They'll be losing four (Thomas graduating) and getting just one next year. The only guards they'll have who are worth any salt will be frasor and ginyard (who are both okay, but not spectacular) and 4-star recruit Larry Drew. No other guards on the UNC averaged even two minutes per game last year. This is even worse than it sounds because both Frasor (6'3") and Drew (6'0") are point guards, so Ginyard is the only real shooting guard worth anything on their roster. This means that either they're going to have to stick on of their point guards at the two or give some not very good players significant playing time. While UNC would have one of the strongest frontcourts in the country, the backcourt will probably be the worst in the ACC without any real stars and absolutely no depth. That's probably why they just picked up that 3-star shooting guard recruit from Durham.

Will this be fatal for the holes? As long as UNC's guards can pass the ball to Hanstravel, they can't stil beat a lot of teams out of conference. But they're really going to get creamed against tougher teams. As Duke fans know, you can't rely just on perimeter play, but tarholes are gonna find out that you can't count on just post players either. My guess is that if these three all leave UNC will be nationally ranked but just barely, and 3rd or 4th in the ACC at best. However the media has such a Carolina fetish that even if these three do leave a lot of sportswriters will still put Carolina at preason No. 1 or at least top 5 because "like omg hansbrough is sooooooo good."

If Larry Drew is a player, then none of this matters and UNC will be fine.

JasonEvans
05-30-2008, 11:22 AM
If Larry Drew is a player, then none of this matters and UNC will be fine.

Drew could be a player but may not be nearly the playmaker that Lawson was/is. UNC will be "fine" regardless of any of this, but whether they are good, great, or spectacular probably rests, to a large extent, on the decisions of Lawson, Ellington, and Green.

--Jason "I still think Lawson is gone but Ellington's play in Orlando has to have him leaning toward coming back" Evans

CameronCrazy'11
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I think the fact that they made such a big deal about how Roy was seeing where they'd end up in the draft, and these three still went in anyway makes it a little more likely that they're in it for real. It is possible that they thought that the coaching staff was purposely deflating expectations about where they'd end up in order to encourage them to stay, or maybe they'd thought that they'd be able to shine better out of hansbrough's shadow. however, it's looking like they're all serious, and you gotta think that unless they don't think they'll get drafted they're gonna stay in

Inonehand
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm blown away by this comment. There definitely seems to be some underlying tension.

When all these 'Holes declared, I said I'd be surprised if anyone but Hansbrough stayed in the draft. After reading the Katz article and reading comments like Mr. Green's, I think Hansbrough might actually be the only one to pull out of the draft.

That being said, I'm clearly not losing any sleep over this.

I can't quite see where this is more than an honest comment from a kid that wants to have a shot at NBA basketball. In no way do I see tension between Tyler and Green in this. Just a misguided kid with no concept as to how average he truly is as a player.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I can't quite see where this is more than an honest comment from a kid that wants to have a shot at NBA basketball. In no way do I see tension between Tyler and Green in this. Just a misguided kid with no concept as to how average he truly is as a player.

AVERAGE? You call dance moves like that just "AVERAGE"?!?

Inonehand
05-30-2008, 12:02 PM
AVERAGE? You call dance moves like that just "AVERAGE"?!?

Just as a player. As a playa, he's first round, no doubt.

rsvman
05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Andy Katz, you lost me at "Carolina's defense."

LOL. This is classic.

Classof06
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM

I just don't see where the Hansbrough's and whether or not they have money has to do with Danny Green trying to get drafted. There was absolutely no need to throw talk about that. Hansbrough's reasons for staying in college or going into the draft shouldn't be discussed in the media by Danny Green. How do you think Hansbrough feels about that comment? How would you feel? I know I wouldn't be too happy.

Inonehand
05-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I just don't see where the Hansbrough's and whether or not they have money has to do with Danny Green trying to get drafted. There was absolutely no need to throw talk about that. Hansbrough's reasons for staying in college or going into the draft shouldn't be discussed in the media by Danny Green. How do you think Hansbrough feels about that comment? How would you feel? I know I wouldn't be too happy.

I never said Danny was the brightest bulb. I just said I don't believe it was malicious or tension-filled. At all. And, to answer your question: I wouldn't really care.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Just as a player. As a playa, he's first round, no doubt.

Word. Don't hate the playa -- hate the game.

(Okay, I hate both. So sue me)

BCGroup
05-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Just posted this on the thread about Green, but this is likely to have an impact

"Green took a bad fall while attempting to dunk in a camp game Thursday. He banged up his left hip, elbow and wrist and aggravating an ankle injury. He sat out Friday's final game and plans to have a magnetic resonance imaging on the injuries in the next few days.If that MRI shows real damage, Green anticipates pulling out of the draft and returning to Chapel Hill for his final college season."

http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/646758.html

davekay1971
05-31-2008, 01:22 PM
In other news, the Charlotte Bobcats today announced that, with the hiring of Larry Brown and his crew of ex-Tarhole cronies, they will be changing the team color to a nauseating shade of pastel blue, hiring Alexander Julian to design the uniforms and warm-ups, drafting Lawson in the first round, Ellington in the second, and offering Green a free agent contract. They will also be changing the team nickname to the Charlotte Tarcats (which narrowly beat out the Bobholes in fan voting). Following the above announcements, all Tarcats season tickest for the 2008-2009 season were immediately sold out.

moonpie23
05-31-2008, 01:39 PM
"I can't run. My hip is bad and my ankle isn't great, either.''

means:

"no one is saying they will hire me to be in the NBA.....have you got joe forte's cell number?"