PDA

View Full Version : Randolph Morris to the NBA NOW?

lavell12
03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Reports are Kentucky big man Randolph Morris may go to the NBA right now because he is a free agent after entering the draft after high school and not being selected. By rules he is able to sign with anytime right now. My main concern, does this increase the chances of Patrick Patterson going to Kentucky?

Chicago 1995
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Reports are Kentucky big man Randolph Morris may go to the NBA right now because he is a free agent after entering the draft after high school and not being selected. By rules he is able to sign with anytime right now. My main concern, does this increase the chances of Patrick Patterson going to Kentucky?

I don't think anyone in Lexington was really counting on Morris to be back, so I doubt it has any effect on Patterson's decision.

TheDuke11
03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
maybe this pushes McRoberts a bit further down and back to Durham next year?
just maybe?

MChambers
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
if he's a free agent, it has no effect on Josh's draft position. In any event, we ought to hope Josh decides to come back to Duke because he's committed to Duke. We also ought to hope that whenever he decides to go pro, his dreams are fulfilled.

jimbonelson
03-20-2007, 08:37 PM
why would he go pro now. at most he would sign a 1 year contract or half year if he played well that would be great if he played bad what chances of making a big contract like a lottery pick would make

JasonEvans
03-21-2007, 09:54 AM
why would he go pro now. at most he would sign a 1 year contract or half year if he played well that would be great if he played bad what chances of making a big contract like a lottery pick would make

Morris can sign any contract he wants right now. He is a free agent. going into the draft is not an option for him. Any team can sign him at any time. Why do you think he would only sign a half-year kinda deal? I cannot imagine why he would take that risk.

If he wants to try out the NBA at this point and teams think he can be a contributor, I would think he would try to get a multi-year deal with a fair amount of guaranteed money.

now, the hurdle for him is the salary cap. There are very few teams who could sign him right now who are under the cap, and most of them are not contenders so they are not in need of immediate help. Morris may want to go to the NBA today, but his options to do that are limited. Plus, it is not like he is a stud prospect. The kid has potential and I am sure some team will want him, but it is not like he would be a certain top 10 lottery pick if he was available in the draft.

I bet he signs in the offseason-- probably something like a 3 year deal in the $5 million dollar range. He will get to pick his team, but it is not like he will be the center of some massive bidding war.

-Jason "as for Josh and Patterson, I don't see how any of this affects their recruiting/pro decisions at all" Evans

jimbonelson
03-21-2007, 10:43 AM
i understand he could sign any contract but why would any nba team give him a long term contract now i was just thinking maybe someone would ofer him a 30 or 60 day contract to finish the season and i dont see how vthat would make since to him

JasonEvans
03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
i understand he could sign any contract but why would any nba team give him a long term contract now i was just thinking maybe someone would ofer him a 30 or 60 day contract to finish the season and i dont see how vthat would make since to him

Then you and I are in agreement-- no way he is foolish enough to sign a contract that only gives him money for the final few weeks of the season. Unless someone can find money under the cap to give him a 3 year deal, the kid will not sign until the offseason.

-Jason