PDA

View Full Version : pistons fall

moonpie23
05-21-2008, 10:29 AM
sheed keeps head on tho......rip hamilton still a punk...

ugadevil
05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I like that Jeff Van Gundy called out Hamilton for being a dirty player. I think it was Breem that tried to say Hamilton isn't a dirty player after he took a shot at Garnett. Van Gundy responded with, "Well if he's not a dirty player, why'd he do something like that?" Grab onto his leg Jeff!

moonpie23
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I like that Jeff Van Gundy called out Hamilton for being a dirty player. I think it was Breem that tried to say Hamilton isn't a dirty player after he took a shot at Garnett. Van Gundy responded with, "Well if he's not a dirty player, why'd he do something like that?" Grab onto his leg Jeff!

which was hilarious......

here's hoping for a sweep of the pistons.....

CDu
05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
which was hilarious......

here's hoping for a sweep of the pistons.....

Is it possible for BOTH teams to lose the series? I find both teams thoroughly unlikable.

The Pistons have Hamilton, who is a dirty player. They have Rasheed Wallace, who needs no further explanation. They're extremely arrogant, and they whine constantly. The only guy on that team I like is McDyess, and even he is less likable on the Pistons.

On the other side, I think Garnett's personality has gotten exposed. In Minnesota, he was the lovable fierce warrior. On this team, he just appears to be obnoxiously over-the-top with his emotion/anger/disdain. I'm not sure if he's just crazy or if it's partly an act, but he's bush league. People tolerated that stuff when he was on the scrappy underdog team for some reason, but now that he's on the #1 seed, it just looks hokey and obnoxious. Paul Pierce has always been unlikable because he just seems pouty and standoffish. And James Posey has a history of being a cheap-shot artist (mostly against my Bulls).

I'm hoping whomever wins gets annihilated in the Final.

ugadevil
05-21-2008, 01:05 PM
They have Rasheed Wallace, who needs no further explanation. They're extremely arrogant, and they whine constantly.

I know he gets more technicals than anyone, but is there any player in the league who gets away with more than Rasheed Wallace? There were times last night when he was screaming at the officials and completely showing them up, and nothing happened. Granted, most of what he was saying was probably hilarious but come on. It's amazing that 'Sheed plays as much as he does.

hurleyfor3
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey look, the Celtics are good again! Oh wait, there's no Larry Bird. Never mind.

CDu
05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I know he gets more technicals than anyone, but is there any player in the league who gets away with more than Rasheed Wallace? There were times last night when he was screaming at the officials and completely showing them up, and nothing happened. Granted, most of what he was saying was probably hilarious but come on. It's amazing that 'Sheed plays as much as he does.

I think I'd enjoy hanging around Rasheed off the court. I bet he's hilarious. And I bet that much of what he says on the court is just goofy semi-trash talk. But he does seem to push the envelope with the refs, with his words and his demonstrative ways.

weezie
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
KG is a highly intelligent person, and obviously, since he operates without an agent, he knows the business of basketball. His comments after the game were nicely measured, even with Michelle trying to get a sound bite off him. And, since he's godfather to one of Chauncey's daughters, he's ok by me. (Yeah, like that matters to him.)

Pistons did look rusty, no doubt, but how can anyone hate on Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey? Anybody care to give them a knock or two?

An aside, what does ESPN see in Doris Burke?

SilkyJ
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
An aside, what does ESPN see in Doris Burke?

She's OK, but probably part of their general diversity/affirmative action push. I'll probably get bashed for even saying that, but in the last 5-7 years they've definitely increased the number of women they have on the sidelines and in the booth. Then again, they've still got guys like doug gottlieb and stephen A. in the studio so maybe they are just getting bad at hiring people...

slower
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Is it possible for BOTH teams to lose the series? I find both teams thoroughly unlikable.

The Pistons have Hamilton, who is a dirty player. They have Rasheed Wallace, who needs no further explanation. They're extremely arrogant, and they whine constantly. The only guy on that team I like is McDyess, and even he is less likable on the Pistons.

On the other side, I think Garnett's personality has gotten exposed. In Minnesota, he was the lovable fierce warrior. On this team, he just appears to be obnoxiously over-the-top with his emotion/anger/disdain. I'm not sure if he's just crazy or if it's partly an act, but he's bush league. People tolerated that stuff when he was on the scrappy underdog team for some reason, but now that he's on the #1 seed, it just looks hokey and obnoxious. Paul Pierce has always been unlikable because he just seems pouty and standoffish. And James Posey has a history of being a cheap-shot artist (mostly against my Bulls).

I'm hoping whomever wins gets annihilated in the Final.

I'm also trying to figure out whether Ray Allen is purposely adopting a perpetual scowl, or if that's just the way his face always looks.

And yeah, 'Sheed is a Hole and a head case, but he does seem like he'd be fairly hilarious to hang with.

blazindw
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow, such hate for the Pistons around here. 1) Rip is not a dirty player. He admittedly had a dirty play last night, but he is not a dirty player. Bruce Bowen is a dirty player. Rip Hamilton is no Bruce Bowen (or Horry the past couple of years). 2) 'Sheed obviously gets a lot of hate around here, but he really is a fan favorite among Pistons fans (myself included). We wouldn't be anywhere near the team we are without him (we could go without his antics sometimes, but sometimes they fire up the team as well). 3) "Forget" Boston!

That game was a game of runs. The Pistons had some, the Celts had some...the Celts just were too tough at the end. The Pistons had too many cold streaks where the Celtics were able to capitalize. They also need more from Chauncey and 'Sheed in Game 2 if they're going to have a chance to win.

I think that the pressure is still on the Celtics. They must defend their home court. If the Pistons can steal Game 2, that will be huge for momentum for them heading home for Games 3 and 4. All Detroiters will be splitting their cheering between basketball and hockey, as Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals - both home games for the Red Wings - will be at the exact same time as Games 3 and 4 at the Palace.

weezie
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
All Detroiters will be splitting their cheering between basketball and hockey, as Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals - both home games for the Red Wings - will be at the exact same time as Games 3 and 4 at the Palace.

When the going gets tough, the Detroit fans get going. I wonder if the "Spirit of Detroit" statue will be sporting a hybrid 'Stons jersey/Wings sweater? :cool:

ClosetHurleyFan
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm also trying to figure out whether Ray Allen is purposely adopting a perpetual scowl, or if that's just the way his face always looks.

And yeah, 'Sheed is a Hole and a head case, but he does seem like he'd be fairly hilarious to hang with.

My roomate in college used to room with Rasheed for two years on road games and said he was the nicest guy in the world to hang out with. And my friend and he couldnt have been more different people in a lot of ways.

CDu
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
My roomate in college used to room with Rasheed for two years on road games and said he was the nicest guy in the world to hang out with. And my friend and he couldnt have been more different people in a lot of ways.

I can see that being the case. Sports bring out the other side of people - the side that has to deal with confrontation and adversity. It brings out the worst in some people (like Rasheed Wallace and Chris Paul). This is why guys like Paul and Wallace can get such rave reviews from people off the court that go so against their chippiness on the court.

Bostondevil
05-26-2008, 10:06 AM
If you live in Detroit, I can understand, but with Rasheed and Rip Hamilton on the same team, even if I hadn't become a Celtics fan by moving to Boston, I'd be rooting against the Pistons. Duke loyalty > NBA loyalty every day for me. Let me tell you how glad I am there are no Heels on the Celtics.

Edouble
05-27-2008, 02:33 PM
If you live in Detroit, I can understand, but with Rasheed and Rip Hamilton on the same team, even if I hadn't become a Celtics fan by moving to Boston, I'd be rooting against the Pistons. Duke loyalty > NBA loyalty every day for me. Let me tell you how glad I am there are no Heels on the Celtics.

I never really understood the idea of a Duke fan hating Rip Hamilton. He had a great game against us in '99, but what do you expect him to do? Fall over and die? Not play his best? I'm more mad at Brand for NOT having a great game against Jake Voskul. El-Amin was a punk after the game, and I have hard feelings towards him, but Hamilton just went out and played like a champion, which is something I can't fault him for.

moonpie23
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I never really understood the idea of a Duke fan hating Rip Hamilton.

i can!

He had a great game against us in '99, but what do you expect him to do? Fall over and die?

well, maybe not DIE...

I can't fault him for.

look...the enemy is the enemy.....

Bostondevil
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I never really understood the idea of a Duke fan hating Rip Hamilton. He had a great game against us in '99, but what do you expect him to do? Fall over and die? Not play his best?

Expect? No.

Hope for, wish for, cross my fingers for? You bet.

I'm a fan when it comes to Duke, not a good sport, two completely different things. I eventually got over hating Purvis Ellison, once our kids were in preschool together, but that's what it took.

weezie
05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
At least Hamilton is a bona fide player. Ellison just got soul-selling lucky.

moonpie23
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
i love watching sheed lose..... 3-2 CELTICS...

the stern button is working...

hc5duke
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
i love watching sheed lose..... 3-2 CELTICS...

the stern button is working...

<troll>Does this series really matter? The Lakers have this thing already wrapped up, and the Pistons-Celtics series is just a formality.</troll>:cool:

In all seriousness, whoever comes out of the East, I call Lakers in 5. Not a Lakers fan at all, just an observation.

weezie
05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Arrrrggggghhhhh!

billybreen
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
<troll>Does this series really matter? The Lakers have this thing already wrapped up, and the Pistons-Celtics series is just a formality.</troll>:cool:

In all seriousness, whoever comes out of the East, I call Lakers in 5. Not a Lakers fan at all, just an observation.

I'm not so sure. I'm not a huge Lakers or Celtics fan, but I am a world class Spurs and Pistons hater and will be thrilled with any outcome of a Lakers / Celtics finals.

hc5duke
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm not so sure. I'm not a huge Lakers or Celtics fan, but I am a world class Spurs and Pistons hater and will be thrilled with any outcome of a Lakers / Celtics finals.

further confirming my suspicion that BillyBreen is actually David Stern...

moonpie23
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
bet on it.....friday night, with the marbles on the table....he will have nothing to lose.....

weezie
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
OK moonie, you got it, Sheed will not get a tech and there will be a game 7.

:)

moonpie23
05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
half right..........i don't think there are many more satifying things than the look of defeat on hamiltons', billups' and sheeds face.....if they NEVER win anything again, that will be fine with me......

just like unc, i love watching them rise to the occasion only to be beaten down in defeat....

love it, love it love it...

billybreen
05-30-2008, 11:28 PM
further confirming my suspicion that BillyBreen is actually David Stern...

David Stern and BillyBreen are happy tonight.

Bostondevil
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Go 'Tiques!!!

(Family nickname for the Celts, short for Celtiques, a name we think the should adopt to fit in with the hipper 21st Century NBA. ;) )

moonpie23
05-31-2008, 01:36 PM
bet on it.....friday night, with the marbles on the table....he will have nothing to lose.....

if the ref had HEARD him say to the camera what he said before he threw the towel on the lens, (and he's gonna get another fine for that), i bet he WOULD have gotten a technical...

sheed=loose cannon...

how can you defend him?

NM Duke Fan
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
What an absolute classic series this could be, it certainly has the potential to be one of the best in a long time! On one side you have one of the best coaches in NBA history along with the player who is thought by some to be the overall best player in the league at the moment. On the other side a team with the best NBA record this year, a defensive MVP and an excellent overall team defense, and 3 aging players who finally have made it to the finals, and who know there are no guarantees of ever getting there again. I am rooting for the geezers!

moonpie23
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
i think kobe is the best player in the nba and i hope that he brings us a gold in china, however...

the pat riley years there will stink forEVER.........so..

go celtics...

Edouble
06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
i think kobe is the best player in the nba and i hope that he brings us a gold in china, however...

the pat riley years there will stink forEVER.........so..

go celtics...

Well, whoever wins, I hope they can do it in four games so Kobe can get some rest.

Bostondevil
06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, that would be nice, Celtics in 4, Kobe for the gold.

weezie
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
half right..........i don't think there are many more satifying things than the look of defeat on hamiltons', billups' and sheeds face.....if they NEVER win anything again, that will be fine with me......

just like unc, i love watching them rise to the occasion only to be beaten down in defeat....

love it, love it love it...

OK, you're the winner. That look wasn't just of defeat, it was of embarrassment, as well it should have been. If I hadn't been in Pittsburgh on Sat night to watch the Red Wing discipline the Penguin, I would still be bummed.
A 5on3 with less than four minutes to go? Whew. Go Wings!
Sorry for the way, way, OT!

Lakers in 5.

greybeard
06-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Dumars had it all, a great team and a coach who could get them there. Heck, he already had and came within a hair of having done it a second time even with an uncomfortable object stuck, never mind, but it makes me wince just to think about it.

So, what did Joe do? He made Larry into a villian, made a big deal about his having talked to the owner of Cleveland after Joe gave the owner permission to talk, so he could replace Larry with Flipper, who had been sitting in the wings turning down offers left and right for months just waiting for Joe.

So, why did Joe do this? Simple. Everybody deservedly gave Larry credit for the Championship, for having made every single player on that team smarter and better. Now, smarts are not a stagnent thing. Smarts either grow or wither. Larry had em growing; had gotten to the point that he could give a guy a few tips during the course of a game and the guy would understand exactly what Larry was getting at and voila, results.

Joe could not stand this. He had assembled this team, and he had the mettle that those guys could emulate. He wanted his due, all of it, for building a Championship in Detroit. That would never happen with Larry around. So, Larry had to be gone.

Nice going Joe. Now, Detroit, when the rubber meets the road, is like the auto industry in that town. They just can't get over when playoff time comes. Seems guys are just a little less clever and instead of getting an edge after time outs, they walk onto the court the same way they left it.

Oh, people will still rave about Chauncy and Rip, but those guys do not get it done down the stretch, not anymore. And, where they really hurt, is that the big men, whom Larry exceled at making smart on offense when the going got tough, now are nowhere to be found when that happens.

So, Dumars threw away a decent shot at multiple championships so he could claim all the credit. Time to step up, Joe, and that does not mean throwing Flipper under the bus. Everybody knew that he was no Larry Brown. Heck, that's why you hired him, isn't it.

moonpie23
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
ok...that's one quarter of the axis of evil...let's bannish sheed to charlotte, rip to scaramento and chauncey to NJ......

Huh?
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=weezie;150652]KG is a highly intelligent person,

Garnett didn't qualify academically to get into college.

greybeard
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
ok...that's one quarter of the axis of evil...let's bannish sheed to charlotte, rip to scaramento and chauncey to NJ......

If Sheed were to go to Charlotte, look out. Larry sooths his demons and appeals to the perfectionist that Sheed is. Out perfectionists the perfectionist, and also takes the pressure off Sheed to be brilliant in pressure moments because Larry takes some of the weight--will discuss with Sheed what he can expect if Detroit runs a particular set and what his best options are. Puts everybody on that same read and, presto, we have a game winner. It will work in Charlotte as well as it worked in Detroit. You guys really don't believe that Chauncey and Rip, in the game that playoff basketball is, are that good on their own do you? Even now?

weezie
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Garnett didn't qualify academically to get into college.

Since he acts as his own agent, he's done ok for himself and he sure handles himself well. But, then again, maybe that isn't such a great measure, considering what some of the NBA agents are up to these days.

Tell me where KG was supposedly trying to get into college? I had always heard he was strictly into the NBA out of high school, but, of course, I was wrong about the Pistons so maybe I'm wrong about this, too.

LET'S GO RED WINGS!

weezie
06-03-2008, 10:38 PM
PS, although it's history and over now, and naturally many here hate Rip, I really wonder what games you were watching the last two weeks...Rip was fantastic!

That mid-range jump shot is a thing of beauty, no matter how much the shooter is loathed. But I still love him, and even more so now that he's lost the braids ;)

moonpie23
06-04-2008, 01:22 AM
weez.....i never said rip wasn't good...in fact he's awesome....but i still hate him......sheed too...

chuancey, eh....guilt by association...

:)

weezie
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Good man, moon...I like a guy who sticks by his convictions:o

blazindw
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
With Flip getting the axe, I'm sure many people around here (not weezie or I) will be happy to know that Sheed is likely to be traded. Also, one of either Chauncey or Rip is expected to be traded as well. I'm still not 100% sold on Curry as the new head coach, as I would like to see Laimbeer get a chance. Needless to say, expect some fireworks from Auburn Hills this summer.

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!

moonpie23
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
the only fireworks i want to see coming from auburn hills is that little whirly thing that you light, it spins around and around, makes a lot of smoke, and then blows up......

ugadevil
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
With Flip getting the axe, I'm sure many people around here (not weezie or I) will be happy to know that Sheed is likely to be traded. Also, one of either Chauncey or Rip is expected to be traded as well.

Wow. That's interesting news. I'm guessing the team has confidence in Stuckey if they are willing to part with Billups? Any idea who they would try to bring in if they are going to part with those big names?

blazindw
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow. That's interesting news. I'm guessing the team has confidence in Stuckey if they are willing to part with Billups? Any idea who they would try to bring in if they are going to part with those big names?

Yes, Joe D and many others in the organization feel that Stuck is ready to lead the show sooner rather than later. I'm also high on him and agree that he is ready to take more of a role on the team. No one knows who they would try to bring in, but all indications are that Joe D will try to go after a superstar-caliber player that can single-handedly change games. However, he still wants to have a tenacious defense that will be the focus of their team. It will be interesting to see what happens.

greybeard
06-04-2008, 03:15 PM
If Sheed goes, Detroit is seriously in a rebuilding mode. It will not matter who they get in a trade if they trade Billups, unless he is real long and can guard star 7 footers and can make them really work on the other end. There are none around to be had.

Dumars had his chance, his run, and threw it away. Now, he is blowing up the team because they did not have a play-off calibur coach to lead them. At some point, Dumars will get the type of credit he deserves. He's working on it; letting Sheed go, and perhaps also Billups, will bring this team down, as in considerably.

Dumars' explanation for firing Flip when he had one year left got a pass from the media but it was transparent nonsense. He says that he was not prepared to extend Flip at this time, so rather than play with a lameduck coach, he'd fire him. Say what? What if the guy broke through next year and took the team to the Championship? You don't resign him then?

Dumars thinks that the players let him down by not playing "hard" enough, that is, hard like Dumars himself used to, and that he blames on Flipper and them. He has said as much, that the players let him and Detroit down. The real deal is that it was the other way around. He let them and the franchise down by bashing and then dumping the guy who was integral to their success; by boyz' boy Larry.

The only reason that the press and the talking heads are not looking at the facts and calling them for what they are is that all these genuses bought the story Dumars was selling several years ago when he dumped Larry after Larry took the court and lead that team to within a hair of a second straight Championship under circumstances that would have had Dumars himself calling for his MaMa.

It's one thing for a man like Dumars to have ambition and want the glory for himself. It's quite another for him to try to bury a guy who played hurt for him and did everything and more that the loyalist of team leaders could. That the press is still giving Dumars a pass speaks volumes about the incesstuous relationship between media and the sport that make them now of one piece. What was it that P.T. used to say; seems that they are still being born every minute.