PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Access?

NW Indiana Dukie
05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Is Cameron open to the public this time of year? I will be there late next week with my wife and kids and we were wondering if we could walk around and take pictures. Also, any good spots to have lunch?

Thanks in advance we are pretty excited!:D

jtholland
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I was there in November with my nephew, and we basically walked right in. Although, we did catch some athletes on the way out, they basically held the door open for us. I think otherwise the door might have been locked. We took a couple of pictures at the edge of the court and left.

So, the short answer: the door will likely be locked, but it is worth walking over and trying it out, especially in the off season. If it isn't open, there is still a "hall of champions" area in the building next to Cameron with displays of trophies and nets and that sort of thing.

Hope you have a great visit.

roywhite
05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Entrance to the new practice facility seems to be restricted. I was on campus last week and went by; was able to get the tutoring area, but was not permitted to see or tour the rest of the facility. I played the "I'm an old alum" card to no avail.

Duke4Ever32
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
In my experience, Cameron is nearly ALWAYS open during the day, and you can just walk right in and walk right onto the court if you want. In fact, the summer I lived on LaSalle Street right off campus I used to play basketball in Cameron every morning. Make sure you try both entrances if the doors on one side are locked.

hurleyfor3
05-19-2008, 12:42 PM
If the lobby to Cameron is open but the doors to the gym are locked, you should be able to just take the stairs up to the main seating area.

Bluedog
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Entrance to the new practice facility seems to be restricted. I was on campus last week and went by; was able to get the tutoring area, but was not permitted to see or tour the rest of the facility. I played the "I'm an old alum" card to no avail.

Don't feel bad. Even CURRENT students aren't permitted into the practice facility. Unless you're an athlete.

Also, in my experience, Cameron is usually unlocked in the summer.

NW Indiana Dukie
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
It sounds like we have a good chance to get inside--which is what we were hoping for! We are going to enjoy and take in the whole day. If there are any other suggestions on things we should see or visit please let me know. I am a life long DUKE fan but have not been on campus in over 20 years.

DukeUsul
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Also, any good spots to have lunch?

Nosh is a somewhat new restaurant that we like for lunch. If you continue up Towerview Road, take a right on Erwin, you'll see the Erwin Terrace shops on the left. Nosh is in there. It's a nice little soup/salad/sandwich place.

Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street.

Foster's Market on Durham Chapel Hill Blvd. (15-501 Business)

Watt's Grocery on Broad Street is one of our new favorites.
http://www.wattsgrocery.com/

hughgs
05-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Is Cameron open to the public this time of year? I will be there late next week with my wife and kids and we were wondering if we could walk around and take pictures. Also, any good spots to have lunch?

Cameron is open during Duke business hours. There are a number of offices in the corridors where people work. Occasionally the doors to the gym floor will be locked but it's been my experience that they're usually locked for maintenance operations.

As for the practice facilities, I suggest you try all the doors, even ones without handles.

TNDukeFan
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Right on with the eating choices, DukeUsul!

Bluedawg
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM

the doors to cameron lock at 5:00pm.

Jarhead
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, then there is the tunnel from Card Gym. I assume it is still there. Used to be that Card was always open, and you could just go through that tunnel. For your visit to the campus, your best bet is to wander randomly. There is an awful lot to see, especially if you haven't been there in 20 years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Perhaps the easiest place to park is the parking garage next to the Bryan Center. You can walk to most places you're likely to visit on West Campus. If you're headed to East or the new art museum, take the bus and enjoy Campus Drive (long ago named Myrtle Drive) on your way to East.

Bluedawg
05-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, then there is the tunnel from Card Gym. I assume it is still there. Used to be that Card was always open, and you could just go through that tunnel. For your visit to the campus, your best bet is to wander randomly. There is an awful lot to see, especially if you haven't been there in 20 years.

However, to get in you must have a Wilson gym membership and that door has a card swipe on it.

hughgs
05-19-2008, 07:30 PM
However, to get in you must have a Wilson gym membership and that door has a card swipe on it.

Not always true. The door to Card is often open after 5:00 pm. However, the tunnel is almost always locked.

Edouble
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
It sounds like we have a good chance to get inside--which is what we were hoping for! We are going to enjoy and take in the whole day. If there are any other suggestions on things we should see or visit please let me know. I am a life long DUKE fan but have not been on campus in over 20 years.

Yeah, be sure to try both the front and back doors. In my experience Cameron is usually open during the day.

For other things to see/visit I'd suggest the catacombs under the Duke Chapel (stairs/entrance is inside the Chapel, to the left of the altar) and the SPD Gardens, specifically the rose gardens.

DukeDevilDeb
05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, be sure to try both the front and back doors. In my experience Cameron is usually open during the day.

For other things to see/visit I'd suggest the catacombs under the Duke Chapel (stairs/entrance is inside the Chapel, to the left of the altar) and the SPD Gardens, specifically the rose gardens.

Ditto on the chapel recommendation. It is breathtaking, even to those for whom religion is not at the forefront. Every time I go, I am reminded that it is irreplaceable... the stained glass, the organ, the wood carving... awesome.

And it is definitely worth it to go to the "catacombs" to see where the Duke presidents (and in some cases, their wives) are buried.

OldPhiKap
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Ditto on the chapel recommendation. It is breathtaking, even to those for whom religion is not at the forefront. Every time I go, I am reminded that it is irreplaceable... the stained glass, the organ, the wood carving... awesome.

And it is definitely worth it to go to the "catacombs" to see where the Duke presidents (and in some cases, their wives) are buried.

Can you still go to the roof of the chapel (elevator on the right)?

DukeUsul
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Can you still go to the roof of the chapel (elevator on the right)?

I don't think so. I think the elevator had to be closed a few years ago (maybe a failed inspection?).

NW Indiana Dukie
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
We have made it back home since our trip to DUKE. Having not been there in so long--a special thank you to Onstar for getting me to the front door of Cameron.
We were able to get inside and take a bunch of picture. We walked the main concourse and saw all of those photos. The Hall of Fame was awesome. My wife was amazied by the chapel.

Thanks also for the suggestions on lunch but when my 5 and 2 year olds saw the McDonalds in the Bryan Center the was no other place to eat but the
"DUKE McDonalds"!

Our trip was wonderful. All the people we came across on campus were great. They were nice enough to stop and take some family pictures for us and did so with big smiles and help us around campus. We even ran into new assistant football coach Jim Collins who went out of his way to lead us in the right direction.:D

Bluedawg
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
We have made it back home since our trip to DUKE. Having not been there in so long--a special thank you to Onstar for getting me to the front door of Cameron.
We were able to get inside and take a bunch of picture. We walked the main concourse and saw all of those photos. The Hall of Fame was awesome. My wife was amazied by the chapel.

I'm glad you had a great time and were able to get into Cameron. You are correct, the HOF is amazing, especially since they have expanded it. If anyone has not seen the new HOF you should!!!

For people wanting to visit this summer remember camps are beginning. During camps you will not be allowed on the gym floor but you will be able to go up the stairs and look down on the court.

To help you plan here are the web pages for the men's (http://www.dukebasketballcamp.net/) and women's (http://www.dukegirlsbasketballcamp.com/) camps

Not always true. The door to Card is often open after 5:00 pm. However, the tunnel is almost always locked.

You are correct. The door to Card are unlocked until 7:00pm. However, with camps going on Card is being used and access may be restricted. To access Card after 7:00pm you must enter through Wilson's front door, where you need a membership

DevilAlumna
06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
For people wanting to visit this summer remember camps are beginning. During camps you will not be allowed on the gym floor but you will be able to go up the stairs and look down on the court.

I used to help out with all Duke's summer camps (yay conference services!) There are always past and current Duke players there to help out. I got to play pick-up with Ali Day, have lunch with Quin Snyder and Tim O'Toole, and watch the current players (at that time) play scrimmages in front of the bball-campers. It's a great time for basketball fans to be around campus.