PDA

View Full Version : Devin Ebanks to WVU

rthomas
05-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Devin Ebanks was originally commiitted to play for Indiana. But with all the crap at Indiana, Ebanks decommitted and now has said he's playing with Huggy.

This makes for a top 10 class that Huggins has coming in this fall.

On the other hand, Joe Alexander thinks he's in the top 15 draft position, and I think he's likely to stay in the draft. I hope not - I think another year could help his draft.

roywhite
05-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Is IU headed for their own 8-20 type season? They are down to, what, 4?, returning scholarship players and now they lose one of their better incoming recruits. A reminder that even top programs can fall into bad times if they make bad hiring decisions and get caught breaking the rules.

CDu
05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Devin Ebanks was originally commiitted to play for Indiana. But with all the crap at Indiana, Ebanks decommitted and now has said he's playing with Huggy.

On the other hand, Joe Alexander thinks he's in the top 15 draft position, and I think he's likely to stay in the draft. I hope not - I think another year could help his draft.

If Alexander is indeed in the top-15 in the draft (and if the NBA is where he wants to be), then he should go now. Very few players who return actually improve their draft stock. The NBA drafts largely on potential and projectability. There are always exceptions (Redick and Williams, for example), but if you're guaranteed good money now, it makes more sense to go now and not risk dropping or getting injured.

DukeBlood
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Is IU headed for their own 8-20 type season? They are down to, what, 4?, returning scholarship players and now they lose one of their better incoming recruits. A reminder that even top programs can fall into bad times if they make bad hiring decisions and get caught breaking the rules.

Im not sure. Tom Crean is a pretty good Coach and Recruiter. I know he doesnt have alot of options as far as scoring goes. However, I see a 10 win season. I know there isnt alot of difference between 8 and 10 but we will see.

Players Graduating (or leaving)
6'9" F D.J. White(Graduating)
6'4" G Eric Gordon(Pro)
6'8" F Lance Stemler(Graduating)
6'6" F Mike White(Graduating)
6'5" G Jamarcus Ellis(Kicked-Off)
6'1" G Armon Bassett(Kicked-Off)
6'9" C Eli Holman(Transfer)
6'8" F DeAndre Thomas(Transfer)

They do have Rising star Jordan Crawford returning. Outside of that, Its pretty grim.

DukeBlood
05-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know the chances of guards Jamarcus Ellis and Armon Bassett getting re-instated?

To be honest, this team would be OK if they didn't lose these 2 guy's.

PG: Armon Bassett- Averaged 11.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 45% 3-point
SG: Jordan Crawford- Averaged 9.7 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 36% 3-point
SF: Jemarcus Ellis- Averaged 6.8 PPG, 7 RPG, 1.5 SPG

Thats enough to build a team off of, Their Frontcourt is absolutely horrible. They need lots of help from the FR but I'm not sure if they will get much.

Forgot to mention, They also lose Guards A.J Ratliff and Adam Ahfeld to graduation. They averaged 14 MPG, and 2 PPG

devilboomer
05-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Does anyone know the chances of guards Jamarcus Ellis and Armon Bassett getting re-instated?

To be honest, this team would be OK if they didn't lose these 2 guy's.

PG: Armon Bassett- Averaged 11.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 45% 3-point
SG: Jordan Crawford- Averaged 9.7 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 36% 3-point
SF: Jemarcus Ellis- Averaged 6.8 PPG, 7 RPG, 1.5 SPG

Thats enough to build a team off of, Their Frontcourt is absolutely horrible. They need lots of help from the FR but I'm not sure if they will get much.

Forgot to mention, They also lose Guards A.J Ratliff and Adam Ahfeld to graduation. They averaged 14 MPG, and 2 PPG

They are gone. For sure.

DukeBlood
05-19-2008, 04:20 AM
They are gone. For sure.

I haven't been able to find what they have done wrong? Just broke some rule. What rule exactly did they break to get completely kicked off?

U-Conn Let a couple players back for stealing Laptops. Just curious if its worse then that.

gotham devil
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

He'll be a one and done, but hopefully the NCAA looks into Ebanks' recruitment. The word on the street is loudly that his mother, Ms. Yvonne Jackson, was looking for some money. As you said, he originally signed with Sampson, but then re-opened his recruitment and the four clean as a whistle suitors were John Calipari (Memphis), Rick Barnes (Texas), Freddie Hill (Rutgers), and Bob Huggins.

Shammrog
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I haven't been able to find what they have done wrong? Just broke some rule. What rule exactly did they break to get completely kicked off?

U-Conn Let a couple players back for stealing Laptops. Just curious if its worse then that.

I forgot exactly what; I think it was general conduct/responsibility/academic type stuff.

I would say generally that Indiana, though, has a LOT higher set of standards than UConn(vict). Thank God. This took a big time slide with Kelvin Sampson's recruits, but hopefully will return back to the types of players Indiana has more traditionally sought. (Which, unfortunately, also caused them to cross-recruit quite a bit with us...)

SilkyJ
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I forgot exactly what; I think it was general conduct/responsibility/academic type stuff.

After the season was over they missed a meeting and then didn't show up for a run the following morning, which was their punishment for missing the meeting in the first place. This happened under interim coach Dan Dakich who replaced Sampson initially, but was never going to be the full-time head coach, by most accounts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323406

A month or so later new head coach Tom Crean came in and met with them, but they will not be reinstated, apparently.

http://www.tribstar.com/breakingnews/local_story_123155452.html

Shammrog
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
After the season was over they missed a meeting and then didn't show up for a run the following morning, which was their punishment for missing the meeting in the first place. This happened under interim coach Dan Dakich who replaced Sampson initially, but was never going to be the full-time head coach, by most accounts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323406

A month or so later new head coach Tom Crean came in and met with them, but they will not be reinstated, apparently.

http://www.tribstar.com/breakingnews/local_story_123155452.html

Yeah, I remember the run thing; IIRC there were some other issues that even preceded that (I know that Ellis had already been suspended one game earlier in the season). Don't recall what - may have been at least partly academic...? I am sure that other stuff went into Crean's decision not to bring them back - especially as shorthanded as he is.

Classof06
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM

If Alexander comes back and Ebanks is as good as advertised, WVU is looking at a damn good team going into next year.

BD80
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
If Alexander comes back and Ebanks is as good as advertised, WVU is looking at a damn good team going into next year.

To me Ebanks decision is an indication that Huggy and Ebanks do not anticipate Alexander to return - giving Ebanks more playing time and potentially a starter's role.