PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Rowbury - Women's 1500m

camion
05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Former Dukie Shannon Rowbury (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=138029) won the women's 1500m Sunday at the Adidas Track Classic, blowing away the rest of the field. In doing so she achieved the Olympic qualifying time of 4:07.

Adidas Track Classic - 5/17/2008 to 5/18/2008
Home Deopt Center
Carson, California

================================================== =============
Name Year Team Finals
================================================== =============
Finals
1 Shannon Rowbury USA 4:01.61
2 Christin Wurth-Thomas USA 4:04.94
3 Lisa Corrigan AUS 4:06.97
4 Lindsey Gallo USA 4:08.43
5 Jenelle Deatherage USA 4:08.84
6 Carmen Douma-Hussar CAN 4:09.74
7 Marina Muncan SRB 4:09.75
8 Malindi Elmore CAN 4:13.81
9 Alice Schmidt USA 4:15.36
10 Carrie Tollefson USA 4:19.54
11 Sara Hall USA 4:25.26
-- Korene Hinds JAM DNF
-- Kenia Sinclair JAM DNF

dukemomLA
05-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Shannon, know that all Dukies are rooting for you!!! Personally, I LOVE the Olympics, both summer & winter. (And THANK GOD, they're NOT being covered by CBS!!) Give me multiple channels, give me 24/7 coverage, give me the chance to see events from start-to-finish. YAHOO. (...If only the committee had the intelligence to not schedule this in China.....)

Shannon, If you read this, please respond back to DBR -- so we know if there's anything we can do to support you and others from the USA team.

I hate to admit this, but.... my passion for the Olympic Games rivals my love for Duke BB. GO SHANNON!!

dukie8
05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
this puts her at #5 all-time in the us (but really #3 because 2 of the women ahead of her were busted for drugs):

3:57.12 Mary Decker Slaney
3:57.40 Suzy Favor Hamilton
4:00.18 Ruth Wysocki
4:00.35 Regina Jacobs
4:01.61 Shannon Rowbury

she should be duke's next olympian next month.

heyman25
05-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Excellent news. Good be best female Duke athlete since Nancy Hogshead to perform well in the olympics. Any one have news on high schooler from Oregon going to Duke for fencing? She might also make the Olympics

Lavabe
05-19-2008, 10:25 AM
this puts her at #5 all-time in the us (but really #3 because 2 of the women ahead of her were busted for drugs):

3:57.12 Mary Decker Slaney
3:57.40 Suzy Favor Hamilton
4:00.18 Ruth Wysocki
4:00.35 Regina Jacobs
4:01.61 Shannon Rowbury

she should be duke's next olympian next month.

Umm, I know it's still early in the year, but according to this story (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gkdMzUWRy0tLQUWomS0pUus_g-xQ) (scroll to the bottom), Rowbury has the fastest time in the year.

Wow!:D
Cheers,
Lavabe

sagegrouse
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Umm, I know it's still early in the year, but according to this story (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gkdMzUWRy0tLQUWomS0pUus_g-xQ) (scroll to the bottom), Rowbury has the fastest time in the year.

Wow!:D
Cheers,
Lavabe

Correction (typo): "Fastest time in the world this year."

sagegrouse

Lavabe
05-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Excellent news. Good be best female Duke athlete since Nancy Hogshead to perform well in the olympics. Any one have news on high schooler from Oregon going to Duke for fencing? She might also make the Olympics

Rebecca Ward had better be at the Olympics. She's been World Saber champion, and much more. Here are a couple of interviews/stories:
http://localdailynews.org/sports/story.php?story_id=120181546179099200

http://www.schermaonline.com/scherma/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1709

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Sunday, June 8 Eugene, Oregon
Shannon Rowbury's next big scheduled 1500m race is the Prefontaine Classic (http://preclassic.com/2008meet.html). She did not participate in NY last night, but some of the competitors there will face off against her in Eugene next Sunday. NBC is listed as covering the meet LIVE 1-3PM Pacific Time. If you click the list of entrants in the women's 1500 meters, some of the runners Rowbury faces include:

Maryam Yusuf Jamal (Bahrain) World's champ from last year; :eek:
Yuliya Formenko (Russia) 2nd in last year's Pre Classic
Gelete Burka (Ethiopia) ** :eek:
Christin Wurth-Thomas 2nd vs. Rowbury in Carson, CA (3+seconds behind)
Sarah Jamieson (Australia) Won last night's Reebok in NY
Treniere Clement (USA) Fast American from 2007
Tatyana Tomashova (Russia) Fast, fast runner***
Lisa Corrigan (Australia) 3rd in Carson, CA, 2nd in last night's Reebok

** Won last year's Pre Classic in a faster time than Rowbury's time in Carson

*** Missed last year's world's with injury; was previously a world's champ

This is a GREAT race. I hope it gets TV time. Jamal and Gelete are particularly tough. Formenko beat Gelete and Jamal in World Indoors this year (Formenko came in 2nd to the winner and world indoor record setter, Yelena Soboleva). Most runners have had slower times to start off the outdoor season, but they are starting to warm up. I hope Rowbury can run a good race in this one. It's TOUGH.

GO SHANNON!!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Verga3
06-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Sunday, June 8 Eugene, Oregon
Shannon Rowbury's next big scheduled 1500m race is the Prefontaine Classic (http://preclassic.com/2008meet.html). She did not participate in NY last night, but some of the competitors there will face off against her in Eugene next Sunday. NBC is listed as covering the meet LIVE 1-3PM Pacific Time. If you click the list of entrants in the women's 1500 meters, some of the runners Rowbury faces include:

Maryam Yusuf Jamal (Bahrain) World's champ from last year; :eek:
Yuliya Formenko (Russia) 2nd in last year's Pre Classic
Gelete Burka (Ethiopia) ** :eek:
Christin Wurth-Thomas 2nd vs. Rowbury in Carson, CA (3+seconds behind)
Sarah Jamieson (Australia) Won last night's Reebok in NY
Treniere Clement (USA) Fast American from 2007
Tatyana Tomashova (Russia) Fast, fast runner***
Lisa Corrigan (Australia) 3rd in Carson, CA, 2nd in last night's Reebok

** Won last year's Pre Classic in a faster time than Rowbury's time in Carson

*** Missed last year's world's with injury; was previously a world's champ

This is a GREAT race. I hope it gets TV time. Jamal and Gelete are particularly tough. Formenko beat Gelete and Jamal in World Indoors this year (Formenko came in 2nd to the winner and world indoor record setter, Yelena Soboleva). Most runners have had slower times to start off the outdoor season, but they are starting to warm up. I hope Rowbury can run a good race in this one. It's TOUGH.

GO SHANNON!!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Thanks for the heads up, Lavabe. A classic race in a classic meet. I'm not surprised NBC is covering.....We'll be watching and supporting Shannon!

dukie8
06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
you also should start following jillian schwartz. she currently is ranked as the 2nd best pole vaulter in the us and has a great shot at making the olympic team. duke very well may have 2 alums on the track and field olympic team.

jmb
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Good point. Jillian has said that after this year--no matter the outcome--she'll be giving up vaulting to pursue a civilian life. Let's hope she makes something good happen in her last go roud. Also, a current female distance runner at Duke, Maddie McKeever, maybe running in the 5k at the Trials as well.

Lavabe
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
you also should start following jillian schwartz. she currently is ranked as the 2nd best pole vaulter in the us and has a great shot at making the olympic team. duke very well may have 2 alums on the track and field olympic team.

Jillian made the 2004 Olympics and finished 11th. Looks like her heights have grown quite a bit since then. In this year's World Indoors, she finished 11th, missing at 4.45 meters.

A brief review of recent results for Jillian Schwartz:
1) 2/1 Milrose Games (Indoor), NYC, NY: won
2) 2/15 Tyson Invitational (Indoor), Fayetteville, AR: finished 3rd behind Jenn Stuczynski and Lacy Janson
3) 2/24 US Indoor Championships, Boston, MA: finished 2nd behind Jenn Stuczynski
4) 5/18 Adidas Track Classic, Carson, CA: finished 3rd behind Jenn Stuczynski and April Steiner
5) 5/31 Reebok Grand Prix, NYC,NY: finished 3rd behind Jenn Stuczynski and Lacy Jansen

Next in the VISA Championship Series is the Pre Clasic, but that doesn't have women's pole vault. Neither does the European Tour's Golden League. It looks like the next event is the Trials.

Please update if there's a pole vault with her before the Trials.
Thanks,
Lavabe

Lavabe
06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
In the latest update, Shannon Rowbury is now scheduled to race in the 800m, not the 1500m, in the Prefontaine Classic.
http://preclassic.com/2008startlists.html
Here's the field:
Maria Mutola (Mozambique) LEGENDARY 800m runner
Nicole Teter Very experienced American
Hazel Clark-Riley Fast, experienced American during the last 7 years
Alice Schmidt Fast American during the last 3 years
Miho Sato (formerly Miho Sugimori, Japan) Slow start, but similar times before 2007
Diane Cummins (Canada) Similar times
Chanelle Price Young American, shorter distance experience, similar times
Shannon Rowbury

She ran a personal outdoor best of 2:02.76 this April in Durham. Several thoughts:
1) This provides a speed workout for her.
2) It gives her a chance to evaluate whether or not to go into TWO events at the Trials.
3) The 1500m race is filled with SO much 1500m speed that it may be too crowded.
4) This is Mutola's last season, so Shannon may want a chance to race against her.

Here's hoping she does well!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

dukie8
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
In the latest update, Shannon Rowbury is now scheduled to race in the 800m, not the 1500m, in the Prefontaine Classic.
http://preclassic.com/2008startlists.html
Here's the field:
Maria Mutola (Mozambique) LEGENDARY 800m runner
Nicole Teter Very experienced American
Hazel Clark-Riley Fast, experienced American during the last 7 years
Alice Schmidt Fast American during the last 3 years
Miho Sato (formerly Miho Sugimori, Japan) Slow start, but similar times before 2007
Diane Cummins (Canada) Similar times
Chanelle Price Young American, shorter distance experience, similar times
Shannon Rowbury

She ran a personal outdoor best of 2:02.76 this April in Durham. Several thoughts:
1) This provides a speed workout for her.
2) It gives her a chance to evaluate whether or not to go into TWO events at the Trials.
3) The 1500m race is filled with SO much 1500m speed that it may be too crowded.
4) This is Mutola's last season, so Shannon may want a chance to race against her.

Here's hoping she does well!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

rowbury is not running the 800 and 1500 at the oly trials. she is the favorite in the 1500 and isn't going to screw up her chances of making the 1500 team by running 3 heats of the 800 before 3 heats of the 1500 even start.

Lavabe
06-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Just a reminder about today's Prefontaine Classic, and to watch for Shannon Rowbury in the women's 800m (assuming they show it). Check local TV listings. Also, here's a link on a story about her from May 20:
http://web.wcsn.com/article/news.jsp?ymd=20080520&content_id=64156&vkey=wcsn_news&dpre=
Also, in this Friday article (buried about halfway down), Shannon discusses the reason for going 800m today:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/SPQ0113EGK.DTL

She's viewing it as a speed workout, trying to get used to tactical speed that she might encounter in the 1500m.

Go Shannon!

chrishoke
06-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Go Shannon!

phaedrus
06-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I believe the meet will be on NBC from 4-6 Eastern. They will almost definitely show the women's 800m, as there is strong US representation and an incredible storyline: Mutola going for her 16th consecutive and final title at Pre.

Verga3
06-08-2008, 04:25 PM
It's on now. Women's 1500 just started. Shannon's 800 scheduled for 5:52pm EST. http://preclassic.com/2008meet.html

dukie8
06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
rowbury -- 2:01.03. she was boxed in coming off the last turn and it's not her race. she's looking really good for later this month in the 1500.

Lavabe
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
rowbury -- 2:01.03. she was boxed in coming off the last turn and it's not her race. she's looking really good for later this month in the 1500.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that yet another personal best time for her this season?

Seemed like a good tune-up for her, all things considered.

Cheers,
Lavabe

dukie8
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that yet another personal best time for her this season?

Seemed like a good tune-up for her, all things considered.

Cheers,
Lavabe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Rowbury

yep. it was a pr for her and a perfect way to tune up for the oly trials 1500. she is the favorite and going in the opposite direction of alan webb...

roywhite
06-08-2008, 08:06 PM

yep. it was a pr for her and a perfect way to tune up for the oly trials 1500. she is the favorite and going in the opposite direction of alan webb...

Look forward to seeing Shannon in the Trials and wish her well.

What is up with Alan Webb? Injury issue? Not much time to turn it around before the Trials. Nice to see Lagat look good.

Lavabe
06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Look forward to seeing Shannon in the Trials and wish her well.

What is up with Alan Webb? Injury issue? Not much time to turn it around before the Trials. Nice to see Lagat look good.

The announcers mentioned that it was Webb's first outdoor race of the season, and that he was probably looking for a 3:55 time.

Okay.

WHAT was the deal with the women's 1500m? Yesterday I saw that Fomenko's name was no longer on the starting list. Today, Jamal came down with a cold, and pulled out of the race (but appeared in the stadium). She's now out until mid-July.

Strange.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedog
06-08-2008, 09:30 PM

I like it how her dad wrote that entire wikipedia article :rolleyes: Anywho, go Shannon! You make us proud!

jmb
06-08-2008, 09:34 PM
The announcers mentioned that it was Webb's first outdoor race of the season, and that he was probably looking for a 3:55 time.

Okay.

WHAT was the deal with the women's 1500m? Yesterday I saw that Fomenko's name was no longer on the starting list. Today, Jamal came down with a cold, and pulled out of the race (but appeared in the stadium). She's now out until mid-July.

Strange.

Cheers,
Lavabe
I can't say for sure what was up with the 1500, but a lot of the athletes don't want to compete at Pre. They would rather be training for the Trials and Olympics, but it's Nike's showcase so Nike makes almost everyone run. So everyone tells Nike they're planning on running, then pull out at the last minute.

phaedrus
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM

in what direction is alan webb going? he just ran his first mile of the year.

dukie8
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
in what direction is alan webb going? he just ran his first mile of the year.

backwards. he ran 2 seconds slower than he did in high school at the same meet, dnf'ed in his 2 road races and no-showed at drake due to lack of fitness. that's not exactly how someone looking to medal in august wants to see the first 5+ months of an olympic year unfold. plus, the us is a lot stronger in the 1500 in 2008 than in 2004 and the trials won't be a cake-walk (he lost to 2 americans yesterday and neither was lagat).

roywhite
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
backwards. he ran 2 seconds slower than he did in high school at the same meet, dnf'ed in his 2 road races and no-showed at drake due to lack of fitness. that's not exactly how someone looking to medal in august wants to see the first 5+ months of an olympic year unfold. plus, the us is a lot stronger in the 1500 in 2008 than in 2004 and the trials won't be a cake-walk (he lost to 2 americans yesterday and neither was lagat).

Olympic Trials begin (in Eugene) in less than 3 weeks. Sounds like Webb is questionable to make the team unless he has a major surge. He had a great year last year, capturing the American mile record in 3:46+.

Lagat would appear to be the leading American in the 1500 at this point.

Lavabe
06-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Olympic Trials begin (in Eugene) in less than 3 weeks. Sounds like Webb is questionable to make the team unless he has a major surge. He had a great year last year, capturing the American mile record in 3:46+.

Lagat would appear to be the leading American in the 1500 at this point.

Three weeks are almost up!!

As the Olympic Trials begin later this week, here are the days to watch for results on Shannon Rowbury (women's 1500m) and Jillian Schwartz (women's pole vault):

Women's 1500m:
quarters July 3, 730PM (Pacific Time)
semis July 4, 825PM
finals July 6, 405PM

Women's Pole Vault
qualifying July 3, 710PM (Pacific Time)
finals July 6, 340PM

Both finals stand a good chance at being covered on NBC, as NBC will have coverage July 6 at 7-9PM Eastern Time. Check local schedules for USA on July 3 & 4.

Maddie McKeever is NOT listed in the 5000m. What's her status?

Cheers,
Lavabe

dukie8
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
recent duke grad, liz wort, is running in the steeple prelims tonight at 10:40 est.

Lavabe
07-03-2008, 07:52 PM
... here are the days to watch for results on Shannon Rowbury (women's 1500m) and Jillian Schwartz (women's pole vault):

Women's 1500m:
quarters July 3, 730PM (Pacific Time)
semis July 4, 825PM
finals July 6, 405PM

Women's Pole Vault
qualifying July 3, 710PM (Pacific Time)
finals July 6, 340PM

Sending out good DBR vibrations to the Duke contingent. Unfortunately, Liz Wort didn't qualify for tonight's finals in the women's 3000m steeplechase. I hope she'll be around for the next Olympic Trials. Thanks for the heads up dukie8!

LGD!!
CHEERS,
Lavabe

roywhite
07-03-2008, 11:30 PM
TV coverage of Shannon Rowbury's quarterfinal coming up soon on USA Network

http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/OlympicTrials-TF/results/P10.asp

spoiler results

roywhite
07-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Shannon had a solid win in the semi-finals tonight. On to the finals Sunday afternoon!

Jim3k
07-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Shannon had a solid win in the semi-finals tonight. On to the finals Sunday afternoon!

Her 4.11.75 is the fastest time of the day. Let's hope she still has a lot left for Sunday. The Sunday final is among the top six finishers in each of the semi final heats. At the USATF website she is quoted as saying:

"It was good, I figured the race would probably be about 4:11.00 because everyone wants to move on. You know you want to run it well, but not get passed at the line."

"I felt good that last 300, but I was trying to pull myself back because I have a lot left. I'm excited that I have two days to the next race because it gives me more time to recover. Overall, I'm excited for Sunday."

Keeping my fingers crossed that she is as good as her word.

camion
07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I am hopeful. The 4:11 is ten seconds slower than she ran in May and I take that to mean that she wasn't pushing herself in the semis.

Good luck Shannon!

roywhite
07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I am hopeful. The 4:11 is ten seconds slower than she ran in May and I take that to mean that she wasn't pushing herself in the semis.

Good luck Shannon!

I watched last night's race; no one pushed the pace (at invitational meets there are often "rabbits" whose function is to set a quick pace for 2 or 3 laps and then drop off), and yes, Shannon did seem to be saving herself. She moved to the lead down the stretch and finished in a relaxed fashion.

I like her chances Sunday.

vick
07-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Dominant win for Rowbury.

Off to Beijing!

dukie8
07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Dominant win for Rowbury.

Off to Beijing!

she looked great and dominated the field. did she look ecstatic or what!

jimsumner
07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I think dominant is the appropriate word. She waited until the right time and moved authoritatively to remove any doubt as to her primacy. Very poised, very controlled.

dukie8
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I think dominant is the appropriate word. She waited until the right time and moved authoritatively to remove any doubt as to her primacy. Very poised, very controlled.

the acc is going to have quite a presence on the us olympic t&f team. flanagan, donohue and schmidt from unc, dix from fsu, harrison from va tech and rowbury from duke just off the top of my head (and hopefully schwartz in the pole vault).

dukie8
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
it just will be rowbury:

1 Jennifer Stuczynski adidas 4.92mA 16-01.75
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60 4.65 4.76 4.92 5.02
PPP PPP PPP PPP PPP PPP XXO O O XXO XXP
2 April Steiner Bennett adidas 4.60m 15-01.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60 4.65
PPP XO O PPP O PPP XO XXX
3 Erica Bartolina unattached 4.55m 14-11.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60
PPP XO PPP XXO PPP XXO XXX
4 Jillian Schwartz Nike 4.50m 14-09.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55
PPP O O PPP O XXX

awhom111
07-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Now there are at least three San Franciscans in the Olympics that I have gone to school with, which is impressive since two of them went to the same 400-person high school that I did.

Lavabe
07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
it just will be rowbury:

1 Jennifer Stuczynski adidas 4.92mA 16-01.75
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60 4.65 4.76 4.92 5.02
PPP PPP PPP PPP PPP PPP XXO O O XXO XXP
2 April Steiner Bennett adidas 4.60m 15-01.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60 4.65
PPP XO O PPP O PPP XO XXX
3 Erica Bartolina unattached 4.55m 14-11.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55 4.60
PPP XO PPP XXO PPP XXO XXX
4 Jillian Schwartz Nike 4.50m 14-09.00
4.20 4.30 4.40 4.45 4.50 4.55
PPP O O PPP O XXX

Is there ANY hope that Jillian Schwartz will be around for four years from now? Man, that was an awful way for the vault to finish!:mad: UGH!!

Lavabe

dukie8
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
just a quick update on rowbury. she's over in europe now racing with the big dogs. she ran a 2:03 800m yesterday in italy. not a great race but i think that it was a get-the-cobwebs-off type race because her big race is this friday in paris. it will be her first race against olympic-caliber competition where she isn't the class of the field. it will be interesting to see how she fares and if she can lower her 4:01 pr.

roywhite
07-14-2008, 11:17 PM
just a quick update on rowbury. she's over in europe now racing with the big dogs. she ran a 2:03 800m yesterday in italy. not a great race but i think that it was a get-the-cobwebs-off type race because her big race is this friday in paris. it will be her first race against olympic-caliber competition where she isn't the class of the field. it will be interesting to see how she fares and if she can lower her 4:01 pr.

Thanks for the update; you seem pretty knowledgeable about track; what is her competition going to be like? I'm guessing that she may well make the final, but would be a longshot to medal?

dukie8
07-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the update; you seem pretty knowledgeable about track; what is her competition going to be like? I'm guessing that she may well make the final, but would be a longshot to medal?

she's not a longshot to medal. i think that she has a very good shot at a medal. it's just hard to gauge what is going on with a lot of the (drugged up) foreigners. the good news is that the world leader in the 1500m as of a week ago was banned from the olympics last week:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/wires/07/09/2080.ap.eu.oly.ath.popescu.doping.0151/

following that good news, yelena soboleva ran a really fast 3:56 last week. russia has a lot of fast women but only can send 3.

rowbury is so young and never has raced in these types of races before so it unknown how she will be able to handle the pressure, having a lot of other fast runners in the race and running hard in multiple rounds (she was on cruise control at the us oly trials until the final). it would be amazing if she were able to pull off a medal.

phaedrus
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
i don't want to say she's a longshot to medal, but in any given year there are probably 8-12 women who run faster than shannon has run this year (of course, shannon could always run faster than 4:01 too).

i haven't really followed the women's 1500 this year, but there will likely be 3-4 women in the final who have run 3:55-3:58 in prior years, while the remaining women in the final will have run 3:58-4:05. in the athens games, the top 8 finishers ran faster than rowbury's 4:01.

i have no doubt shannon will be ready to race, but for her to medal she will have to beat at least a few women who are faster on paper. but let's see how she runs in europe first.

phaedrus
07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
in paris today, rowbury reportedly finished second to ethiopian/bahraini maryam yusuf jamal in 4:00.33. jamal, the defending world champion, edged rowbury by less than a second.

dukie8
07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
in paris today, rowbury reportedly finished second to ethiopian/bahraini maryam yusuf jamal in 4:00.33. jamal, the defending world champion, edged rowbury by less than a second.

that is correct. the race was just shown on espn2 tape delayed. she looked great and couldn't have asked for a better tune-up heading into beijing.

DevilHorse
07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I had the European track meet on in the background and heard Shannon Rowbury was in the women's 1500. The race just finished on ESPN2. Rowbury was closing moderately and was well within herself. The commentators said that she was not straining at the end of the race. Visually, on the backside of the last lap, while the eventual winner was in the lead, Rowbury moved from the pack into 3rd and then took 2nd on the final turn (about 20 yds) then closed to within 2 yards at the finish. The winner definitely seemed somewhat surprized/concerned that someone was staying with her.

It was noted that the winner was the number one runner in the world last year, and there was only one time in the world this year under 4:00. This race was exactly 4:00, with Rowbury at 4:00.33.

This was Shannon's first race since the Olympic Trials.

This is going to be a fun Olympiad Ms. Rowbury.

Larry
DevilHorse

phaedrus
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
that is correct. the race was just shown on espn2 tape delayed. she looked great and couldn't have asked for a better tune-up heading into beijing.

oops, hope i didn't spoil it for anyone. i didn't realize it would be televised.

dukie8
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
she's not a longshot to medal. i think that she has a very good shot at a medal. it's just hard to gauge what is going on with a lot of the (drugged up) foreigners. the good news is that the world leader in the 1500m as of a week ago was banned from the olympics last week:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/wires/07/09/2080.ap.eu.oly.ath.popescu.doping.0151/

following that good news, yelena soboleva ran a really fast 3:56 last week. russia has a lot of fast women but only can send 3.

rowbury is so young and never has raced in these types of races before so it unknown how she will be able to handle the pressure, having a lot of other fast runners in the race and running hard in multiple rounds (she was on cruise control at the us oly trials until the final). it would be amazing if she were able to pull off a medal.

i'm in kenya now, but i quickly wanted to pass along some tremendous news for rowbury -- russian suspended all 3 of its female 1500m runners for tampering with drug tests!

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/07/daily-steroi-22.html

it is too late for russia to name 3 other women (they are very deep) so russia, as of right now, isn't participating in the women's 1500m (russia could reinstate them but it would take a lot of heat if it did so). rowbury went from having a decent shot at a medal to having an excellent shot at one.

on a side note, it really disgusts me how drugged up some foreign runners are so it is very nice to see at least 1 country trying to clean things up.

gvtucker
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
on a side note, it really disgusts me how drugged up some foreign runners are so it is very nice to see at least 1 country trying to clean things up.

To be fair, a lot of foreign runners are saying that about us, also, especially our sprinters.

dukie8
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
To be fair, a lot of foreign runners are saying that about us, also, especially our sprinters.

our sprinters have been extremely dirty and many of them have been dealt with accordingly. not too many people say that about our distance runners, but that also may be a function of us having been very weak in the distances for many years. unfortunately there have been whispers in the US that rowbury's rise has been too fast to be clean. i have a very hard time believing that she is dirty but, at this point in sports, nothing would surprise me. the bottom line is that 3 of her biggest competitors likely were dirty and now have been removed from the equation, which is a good thing.

Lavabe
07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
our sprinters have been extremely dirty and many of them have been dealt with accordingly. not too many people say that about our distance runners, but that also may be a function of us having been very weak in the distances for many years. unfortunately there have been whispers in the US that rowbury's rise has been too fast to be clean. i have a very hard time believing that she is dirty but, at this point in sports, nothing would surprise me. the bottom line is that 3 of her biggest competitors likely were dirty and now have been removed from the equation, which is a good thing.

It's a real shame they weren't caught sooner, but I am glad that at least they were caught. Hopefully all of their records will be stricken from the books.

Who's next? Jamal? Gelete Burka?

All we can do is hope the best for Rowbury. Unless she signed up for that USADA pilot program testing deal, I'm unsure how anyone can say a specific athlete is clean. Even then, I wonder how folks view people like Tyson Gay.

Thanks for the update.

Where in Kenya?
Cheers,
Lavabe

roywhite
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
It's a real shame they weren't caught sooner, but I am glad that at least they were caught. Hopefully all of their records will be stricken from the books.

All we can do is hope the best for Rowbury. Unless she signed up for that USADA pilot program testing deal, I'm unsure how anyone can say a specific athlete is clean. Even then, I wonder how folks view people like Tyson Gay.

Track and field and cycling have managed to reach the stage were doping is no surprise, and all high performers are viewed with skepticism. Sad.

phaedrus
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
unfortunately there have been whispers in the US that rowbury's rise has been too fast to be clean.

If you are referring to posters on the world's most famous running message board, then whispers about drug use are merely a rite of passage for Rowbury, a true sign that she is someone to be reckoned with. Kind of like hearing homophobic chants about yourself at the Comcast Center.

jimsumner
07-31-2008, 10:35 PM
If we saw a thread on another school's message board with this kind of unsubstantiated innuendo, we would be properly outraged.

Lavabe
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Track and field and cycling have managed to reach the stage were doping is no surprise, and all high performers are viewed with skepticism. Sad.

It IS sad. In re cycling, this year's Tour showed some major improvements, spurred forth by several team sponsors. I still am skeptical about riders, but I believe they just may have turned the corner. Teams Garmin-Chipotle, CSC/Saxo Bank, and Columbia took remarkable stands regarding doping. It's still, however, a work in progress.

In re T&F, I trust Rowbury is clean. I trust Jamal is clean. I trust Burka is clean. I have trusted that others were clean. But given the history and record of doping in track and field, how does anyone know with 100% certainty whom to trust, especially when the trust has been broken in the past by other athletes (many of whom tested negative)? When so many of the top athletes in a specific event (in this case, the women's 1500m) are caught doping, what IS the proper response for fans of the sport?

I'm afraid I agree 100% with dukie8 in that nothing would surprise me.

dukie8
08-06-2008, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the update.

Where in Kenya?
Cheers,
Lavabe

masai mara. it was the first time i had been on a safari and one of the neatest things that i ever have done. the annual migration is going on so we saw some nice kills in the river.

people look at any rapid improvement at the elite level with a skeptical eye because of how many times in the past few years a rapid improvement has involved PEDs. it's a shame but it's the fallout of mcgwire, bonds, MJ, montgomery, etc. btw, michael johnson's last 4x400 gold medal was taking away last week because of valmon. most of that team subsequently turned out to be dirty. it makes you wonder what johnson was up to.

also, more news has come out on the russians. apparently all of them were submitting someone else's urine (which was clean) and they failed dna tests! since most (all?) of them are women, i don't think they were using whizzinators. it has been alleged that they were injecting the clean urine with catheters like in that movie filmed at duke call the Program. pretty nasty stuff and, more importantly, could result in big sanctions for russia if it is shown that it was a state sponsored doping program a la the 1980s. i'm invisioning the poor soul who had to down a couple of gallons of water and then piss it out so the others could use it. yuck.

Lavabe
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM

As for cycling, Bonnie Ford has a good (and long) piece in espn.go.com's web site (look for cycling) on how Garmin-Chipotle/Slipstream have been dealing with trying to be clean. Interesting piece.

Cheers,
Lavabe

roywhite
08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
As for cycling, Bonnie Ford has a good (and long) piece in espn.go.com's web site (look for cycling) on how Garmin-Chipotle/Slipstream have been dealing with trying to be clean. Interesting piece.

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out.

Speaking of cycling, I'm very interested to see Taylor Phinney, 18 year old US cycling phenom, in the Olympics. Talk about a pedigree---son of Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter Phinney, who was outstanding in speed skating and cycling. Possibly the next big USA star on the world stage.

roywhite
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Women's 1500m heats begin Tuesday morning in Beijing at 10:15 AM; that's 10:15 PM EDT this evening (Monday).

Anyone know which heat she is in, and whether there is live (or delayed) TV coverage?

Go, Shannon!

heyman25
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
This is the 2nd most important TV for me after men's bball ,though the German game video feed couldn't hold me captive to watching. Good luck Shannon. Hope your standing on the gold medal podium after the race.

jmb
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Women's 1500m heats begin Tuesday morning in Beijing at 10:15 AM; that's 10:15 PM EDT this evening (Monday).

Anyone know which heat she is in, and whether there is live (or delayed) TV coverage?

Go, Shannon!

The womens 1500 has been reduced from 3 rounds to just 2, so Shannon won't be running until Thursday (8/21) at 19:00 Beijing time

roywhite
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
The womens 1500 has been reduced from 3 rounds to just 2, so Shannon won't be running until Thursday (8/21) at 19:00 Beijing time

Thanks for the info. Obviously that puts a lot of pressure on the first race, but sounds like a good thing overall to have two rounds instead of three.

Lavabe
08-19-2008, 06:27 AM

Any explanation why the reduction?

Thanks,
Lavabe

blazindw
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks,
Lavabe

Maybe so many runners withdrawing to the point where only 2 heats were necessary? I'm not sure, but this is a possibility.

phaedrus
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
a good preview of the race:

http://www.letsrun.com/2008/olympicpreview-0817.php

dukie8
08-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks,
Lavabe

there weren't enough entrants to warrant 3 rounds so they reduced it to 3 semis of 12 runners each. it's better than running heats where everyone advances. the start lists will be available on aug 20 (i think that it is beijing time so it should be tonight). i'm not sure how they will advance but my guess is the fastest 2 in each heat plus the next 2 fastest overall. there will not be a lot of room for error.

i'm down at duke now and off to run in on the golf course and scout out sites for a new track...

roywhite
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
there weren't enough entrants to warrant 3 rounds so they reduced it to 3 semis of 12 runners each. it's better than running heats where everyone advances. the start lists will be available on aug 20 (i think that it is beijing time so it should be tonight). i'm not sure how they will advance but my guess is the fastest 2 in each heat plus the next 2 fastest overall. there will not be a lot of room for error.

i'm down at duke now and off to run in on the golf course and scout out sites for a new track...

I don't know what the criterion will be for advancing to the finals, but the men's 1500m final had 12 runners. To illustrate the perils of qualifying, the top 15 men had times between 3:37 and 3:38. Bernard Lagat, who won the 1500m for the US in the 2007 World Championships, missed qualifying for the final by .02 seconds.

In reading the preview and looking at other times, I think Shannon has an excellent chance to medal here. Good luck to her!

btw, 8, I don't know if your mention of a new track site was "tic" after the long, contentious thread on this board about re-locating the track from Wallace Wade to somewhere else, but I am interested in your input as to what a good location on West campus might be for a track complex.

dukie8
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know what the criterion will be for advancing to the finals, but the men's 1500m final had 12 runners. To illustrate the perils of qualifying, the top 15 men had times between 3:37 and 3:38. Bernard Lagat, who won the 1500m for the US in the 2007 World Championships, missed qualifying for the final by .02 seconds.

In reading the preview and looking at other times, I think Shannon has an excellent chance to medal here. Good luck to her!

btw, 8, I don't know if your mention of a new track site was "tic" after the long, contentious thread on this board about re-locating the track from Wallace Wade to somewhere else, but I am interested in your input as to what a good location on West campus might be for a track complex.

the difference is that the men's 1500 only had 2 semis and the women have 3. 12 makes for a crowded final but you are right -- that's what the men had. maybe top 3 plus the next 3 fastest? it should be up soon.

well, i am one of the ones who doesn't think you rip up one of the best tracks in the world in order to create some new mediocre seats that are close to the football field. however, if duke is going to go that route, then it absolutely has to build a top notch track facility. i've never heard of a school destroying an athletic venue that is one of the best in the world without creating something else that is at least comparable. i'll let you know what i think based on what i see over there but i think that that practice soccer field next to wa duke looks like a good spot. it's really hilly there so i don't know how if you could fit a track in there without doing some serious ground moving.

phaedrus
08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
12 people is the standard size for 1500m races. i think you're probably right: it will be top 3 in each heat plus the next three fastest.

the empty practice field is actually a good idea. does anyone use it (except the cross-country team)?

hughgs
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
the difference is that the men's 1500 only had 2 semis and the women have 3. 12 makes for a crowded final but you are right -- that's what the men had. maybe top 3 plus the next 3 fastest? it should be up soon.

well, i am one of the ones who doesn't think you rip up one of the best tracks in the world in order to create some new mediocre seats that are close to the football field. however, if duke is going to go that route, then it absolutely has to build a top notch track facility. i've never heard of a school destroying an athletic venue that is one of the best in the world without creating something else that is at least comparable. i'll let you know what i think based on what i see over there but i think that that practice soccer field next to wa duke looks like a good spot. it's really hilly there so i don't know how if you could fit a track in there without doing some serious ground moving.

Are those the fields on the same side as Wa Duke or across from 751? Thanks.

phaedrus
08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
same side. they are directly across 751 from the stadium.

hughgs
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
same side. they are directly across 751 from the stadium.

The women's soccer team also practices on the fields along Bassett Drive. Have you talked to dukie8?

jmb
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
12 people is the standard size for 1500m races. i think you're probably right: it will be top 3 in each heat plus the next three fastest.

the empty practice field is actually a good idea. does anyone use it (except the cross-country team)?
soccer and lacrosse teams practice use that field most. cross country teams rarely go over there

dukie8
08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
i don't want to hijack this thread because shannon deserves her own thread but the only realistic place to relocate the track would be where those practice fields are along bassett drive. the xc team doesn't use those fields but the other teams that do (soccer and lax) would need altnernative practice fields if a track were built there.

the practice field across 751 is much smaller and that entire area is on a big hill. creating a flat space large enough to hold a track plus field event area would require a massive amount of land moving. i looked down past faculty drive. it may be possible to squeeze a track in down there (it would be tight) but it is considerably further away and would require significant forrest removal. i don't think the people who currently use the track out of the building with the football press box would want their overweight clients hoofing it over there as well. the other spot would be where there currently is a parking lot at the end of towerview next to the thomas center. i think that there is enough space there but then another parking lot would have to be build somewhere (who parks in that gated lot during the day).

speaking of shannon, the heats are up and she got hooked up. 3rd heat, which means she'll know what the 3 fastest qs are going in (it is 3 fastest per heat plus the next 3 fastest), plus no sub 4:00 women in her heat. hopefully cook tells her to take control and not fall into the same trap as lagat where he is back and boxed and cannot kicked his way up:

1 Sonja Roman SLO 4:07.80 4:06.75
2 René Kalmer RSA 4:06.71 4:06.71
3 Nataliya Tobias UKR 4:05.53 4:02.52
4 Sylwia Ejdys POL 4:04.46 4:04.46
5 Anna Alminova RUS 4:02.02 4:02.02
6 Shannon Rowbury USA 4:00.33 4:00.33
7 Lisa Dobriskey GBR 4:06.25 4:06.21
8 Meskerem Assefa ETH 4:05.67 4:03.96
9 Nancy Jebet Lagat KEN 4:03.80 4:02.31
10 Bouchra Chaabi MAR 4:10.39 4:03.62
11 Qing Liu CHN 4:06.14 4:04.00

dukie8
08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
rowbury was 4th in heat 3 and advances on time. that's the advantage of being in heat 3 and knowing the first 2 heats were slow. she did not look great in the last straight away and got passed. hopefully she was holding back and saving herself for the final.

roywhite
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
rowbury was 4th in heat 3 and advances on time. that's the advantage of being in heat 3 and knowing the first 2 heats were slow. she did not look great in the last straight away and got passed. hopefully she was holding back and saving herself for the final.

Thanks for the update, dukie8. Have you located a live feed?

dukie8
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the update, dukie8. Have you located a live feed?

i have watched all of the track and field live here:

http://www.aelling.lir.dk/public/

nbc will not show any t&f live and won't stream it on nbcolympics.com. it really is a joke and i hope nbc doesn't get any more olympics.

Lavabe
08-22-2008, 04:28 PM

According to the nbc olympics web site, Shannon's final is at 750PM Saturday ... which I would assume means 750AM Eastern. Or it might mean ... whatever.

Jamal may be sandbagging it for the finals, but she isn't impressing me.

Given Shannon's advancing to the finals and given that UNC's Erin Donohue didn't, can we get some Carlyle Cup points?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

dukie8
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
According to the nbc olympics web site, Shannon's final is at 750PM Saturday ... which I would assume means 750AM Eastern. Or it might mean ... whatever.

Jamal may be sandbagging it for the finals, but she isn't impressing me.

Given Shannon's advancing to the finals and given that UNC's Erin Donohue didn't, can we get some Carlyle Cup points?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

yep. tomorrow night in beijing is the last of t&f. if you live in the eastern time zone, just subtract 12 hours to figure out when the events happen here. i don't think we want to use the olympics t&f for carlyle cup purposes bc flanagan nailed a bronze in the 10,000.

shannon did not look great in the semis -- but neither did nick willis and he nailed a bronze in the 1500. whatever she does in the finals, it will be a great accomplishment and better than what most of our distance runners have done.

burnspbesq
08-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Do any of the finalists have a better time this year than Shannon's 4:00.33?

dukie8
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
shannon was 7th. she was in a great position with a lap to go in 4th but had nothing in her legs the last 200. jamal ran a horrible race and blew herself up while surging at the 500 mark. all-in-all, 7th in the olympics at the age of 23 is enormous and hopefully she had several more olympics in her.

2282 KEN LANGAT Nancy Jebet 4:00.23 PB
3105 UKR LISHCHYNSKA Iryna 4:01.63
3069 UKR TOBIAS Nataliya 4:01.78 PB
1798 GBR DOBRISKEY Lisa 4:02.10 PB
1254 BRN JAMAL Maryam Yusuf 2.71
1622 ESP RODRIGUEZ Natalia 4:03.19 SB
3173 USA ROWBURY Shannon 4:03.58
1592 ESP FUENTES-PILA Iris 4:04.86
3124 UKR MISHCHENKO Anna 4:05.13 PB
2384 MAR HILALI Siham 4:05.57
3328 RUS ALMINOVA Anna 4:06.99
2408 MAR LAKHOUAD Btissam

Lavabe
08-23-2008, 08:41 AM
shannon was 7th. she was in a great position with a lap to go in 4th but had nothing in her legs the last 200. jamal ran a horrible race and blew herself up while surging at the 500 mark. all-in-all, 7th in the olympics at the age of 23 is enormous and hopefully she had several more olympics in her.

2282 KEN LANGAT Nancy Jebet 4:00.23 PB
3105 UKR LISHCHYNSKA Iryna 4:01.63
3069 UKR TOBIAS Nataliya 4:01.78 PB
1798 GBR DOBRISKEY Lisa 4:02.10 PB
1254 BRN JAMAL Maryam Yusuf 2.71
1622 ESP RODRIGUEZ Natalia 4:03.19 SB
3173 USA ROWBURY Shannon 4:03.58
1592 ESP FUENTES-PILA Iris 4:04.86
3124 UKR MISHCHENKO Anna 4:05.13 PB
2384 MAR HILALI Siham 4:05.57
3328 RUS ALMINOVA Anna 4:06.99
2408 MAR LAKHOUAD Btissam

Congrats to Shannon ... I hope she'll be around in London.

What a disappointing year for Jamal. On the other hand, Langat seemed to show great stuff in the semis. It looks like the next year or so should see some changeover in the ranks within this specialty.

Cheers,
Lavabe

dukie8
09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
fyi, rowbury ran a blazing 4:20.34 mile today, which puts her #2 on the all-time us list behind the great mary slaney (4:16.71).

phaedrus
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, very impressed how long she's managed to run consistently fast this season. She ran 4:00.33 in July and essentially the same time in September. That's a long peak.

4:20.34 isn't statistically better than the 4:00.33 1500 race, but historically it's far more significant. I can't imagine she'll run too many more races on the track this season, but I can't wait to see what she can do next year.

roywhite
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Wow, very impressed how long she's managed to run consistently fast this season. She ran 4:00.33 in July and essentially the same time in September. That's a long peak.

4:20.34 isn't statistically better than the 4:00.33 1500 race, but historically it's far more significant. I can't imagine she'll run too many more races on the track this season, but I can't wait to see what she can do next year.

Congratulations to Shannon on a great season. I hope she is able to stick with the sport and perhaps continue to improve. Question for more knowledgeable track fans...is she at a level where her running is an economically viable career choice (at least for now) or will she have to earn outside income in order to continue training, etc.?

dukie8
09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Congratulations to Shannon on a great season. I hope she is able to stick with the sport and perhaps continue to improve. Question for more knowledgeable track fans...is she at a level where her running is an economically viable career choice (at least for now) or will she have to earn outside income in order to continue training, etc.?

running in the european circuit and then placing well there earns one a nice income. she doesn't need a side job anymore.

phaedrus
09-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Also, considering the training group she was part of, she was likely gathering a decent training stipend from Nike (although "decent" probably doesn't get you too far in the Bay Area).

vick
04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Update on Rowbury: Last night she ran a world-leading (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/25/SPOV178JIN.DTL) 15:12.9 in the 5000m, which hasn't even been her primary event! A great early-season result, especially to run alone for so long (she won by more than 20 seconds).

Verga3
04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Update on Rowbury: Last night she ran a world-leading (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/25/SPOV178JIN.DTL) 15:12.9 in the 5000m, which hasn't even been her primary event! A great early-season result, especially to run alone for so long (she won by more than 20 seconds).

Thanks for the update on Shannon. Wow....she crushed her personal best by 26 seconds while running virtually alone.

phaedrus
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Rowbury is not the only Duke runner from the Class of 2006 making news.

Sally Meyerhoff recently set the American 10-mile record for a women's-only race, running 54:38 at the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile.

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=105551&SPID=13055&DB_OEM_ID=23000&ATCLID=3711695

roywhite
06-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Shannon Rowbury won the 1500m at Nationals tonight; with a 4:05:07, she moves on to the World Championships in Berlin, held in August. Shannon looked great down the stretch. Congrats and best wishes to her in the World Championships.

phaedrus
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Recent Duke grad Molly Lehman also finished in the top 10, running about as fast (4:12) as Shannon did as a senior at Duke.

Former Duke athletes Sally Meyerhoff (women's 10k) and Jade Ellis (men's long jump) also competed.

heyman25
06-29-2009, 02:59 AM
I won't post on basketball again at DBR. I don't agree with their standards.

However I really admire Shannon Rowbury's accomplishments as a fellow Duke alum. Bob Wheeler and Dave Sime are now her peers in Track and field.
I will continue to follow her exploits. Keep up that speed Shannon.
Hope Molly Lehman and Sally Meyerhoff have good post Duke experiences.

Curtis Beach should make a big impact on Duke Track and Field.

roywhite
08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Shannon qualified for the finals in the 1500m at the World Championships. Good luck to her as she goes for a medal against the best in the world.

roywhite
08-23-2009, 11:58 AM
http://berlin.iaaf.org/results/racedate=08-23-2009/sex=W/discCode=1500/combCode=hash/roundCode=f/results.html#detW_1500_hash_f

Shannon wins the bronze medal at the World Championships!

miramar
08-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the update, that's great news.

I look forward to seeing the replay on the Versus channel at 8 PM tonight. So far these championships have been pretty entertaining, and not just because of Usain Bolt. Sanya Richards, Kerron Clement, Allyson Felix, LaShawn Merrit, Dwight Phillips, and many others on the American team have been outstanding. The men's 4 X 400 should also be quite good.

Tom B.
08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
http://berlin.iaaf.org/results/racedate=08-23-2009/sex=W/discCode=1500/combCode=hash/roundCode=f/results.html#detW_1500_hash_f

Shannon wins the bronze medal at the World Championships!

Kind of a wild race. About 200 meters into it, Ethiopia's Gelete Burka (one of the pre-race favorites) fell and was injured. Replays showed that she was essentially knocked down by Spain's Natalia Rodriguez, who was trying to pass her on the inside.

On the final lap, a group of four runners (including Rodriguez and Rowbury) separated from the pack with about 100-150 meters to go. Shannon was last in that group, and just didn't have quite enough of a kick to get into the top three. Rodriguez crossed the finish line first, but was disqualified after the race for knocking down Burka. So Shannon got bumped up to third and takes home the bronze.

Originally posted by miramar:

The men's 4 X 400 should also be quite good.

Both the men's and women's 4 X 400 relays destroyed the competition, winning by huge margins. But what's up with the USA's 4 X 100 relays? Neither the men nor the women competed in the finals, having been disqualified during the qualifying heats due to botched baton passes. The commentators made the point that this problem has plagued the USA's 4 X 100 relay teams for several years now, with multiple disqualifications of both the men's and women's teams in major meets dating back to the 2004 Olympics.