I'm hungover, sleepy, and my legs hurt.

Diety Damnit!

-EarlJam

colchar
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm hungover, sleepy, and my legs hurt.

Diety Damnit!

-EarlJam

What you need to find is a bottle of a Scottish pop called Irn Bru. Scotland is the only country in which Coke is available where it is outsold - and it is outsold by Irn Bru, partly because of its retorative qualities. It is a hangover cure and, in a country like Scotland, this is very very important. If you see someone in Glasgow drinking Irn Bru at 10am they are definitely hung over.

Irn Bru has tons of caffeine and also contains quinine (the first effective treatment for malaria). If you find Irn Bru bottled here in North America don't buy it as we (Canada and the US) don't allow quinine as an ingredient. But, if you can find a British-made bottle, buy it (you can usually tell the British-made stuff easily because they have the British price imprinted right on the label or can). Actually, buy lots of them so you have them handy in the future.

Seriously, if you have a British store near you go there and get some (you're in Atlanta right? Apparently there is a British store in Norcross but you'll likely be able to find one closer to you). Drink a litre of that and wait about 45 minutes. You'll be right as rain. I do this regularly and it works every time.

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 11:06 AM
What you need to find is a bottle of a Scottish pop called Irn Bru.
When I was a wee young lad, my father was stationed at Holy Loch in Dunoon, Scotland. One of my favorite drinks was an Irn Bru float with vanilla ice cream. Not only is this stuff great, it had the best advertisements (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Irn-Bru&search_type=). My favorite featured a kid at a construction site pouring a glass of Irn Bru then trying unsuccessfully to insert a straw into said glass. A construction worker leans over and drills a hole in the beverage so the kid could insert his straw. Classic!

It's also a banned substance by the FDA. Drink up!

Shammrog
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
What you need to find is a bottle of a Scottish pop called Irn Bru. Scotland is the only country in which Coke is available where it is outsold - and it is outsold by Irn Bru, partly because of its retorative qualities. It is a hangover cure and, in a country like Scotland, this is very very important. If you see someone in Glasgow drinking Irn Bru at 10am they are definitely hung over.

Irn Bru has tons of caffeine and also contains quinine (the first effective treatment for malaria). If you find Irn Bru bottled here in North America don't buy it as we (Canada and the US) don't allow quinine as an ingredient. But, if you can find a British-made bottle, buy it (you can usually tell the British-made stuff easily because they have the British price imprinted right on the label or can). Actually, buy lots of them so you have them handy in the future.

Seriously, if you have a British store near you go there and get some (you're in Atlanta right? Apparently there is a British store in Norcross but you'll likely be able to find one closer to you). Drink a litre of that and wait about 45 minutes. You'll be right as rain. I do this regularly and it works every time.

Cool tip. When I get hungover (rarely drink), I don't feel that bad per se, just extremely sleepy (but can't sleep/nap well) and groggy mentally. To the point of being useless. Does this help that as well?

Also - I didn't know that quinine was banned in the U.S. - I always thought most tonic water has it as an ingredient. Am I wrong, or is it just not allowed in this beverage?

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Cool tip. When I get hungover (rarely drink), I don't feel that bad per se, just extremely sleepy (but can't sleep/nap well) and groggy mentally. To the point of being useless. Does this help that as well?

Also - I didn't know that quinine was banned in the U.S. - I always thought most tonic water has it as an ingredient. Am I wrong, or is it just not allowed in this beverage?
It's not the quinine, it's a few of the colorants I believe. I've heard folks say they've seen it in the U.S. but I've yet to come across it.

colchar
05-16-2008, 12:28 PM
When I was a wee young lad, my father was stationed at Holy Loch in Dunoon, Scotland.

You lived in Dunoon?!? When I fly into Britain this summer I'm flying into Glasgow and staying with a cousin in Gourock. Her house is right on the water and looks out toward Dunoon. I'm sure you can remember how stunning the scenery was.

The picture linked below doesn't really do it justice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gourock_from_Lyle_Hill.jpg

colchar
05-16-2008, 12:29 PM
It's not the quinine, it's a few of the colorants I believe. I've heard folks say they've seen it in the U.S. but I've yet to come across it.

It can't be the colorants. I've had the North American version plenty of times and trust me - it does nothing for a hangover. The real version, however, is a gift from God when you're hurting in the morning.

colchar
05-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Yes, it helps that as well.

I'm not sure about the US. It isn't used in drinks here in Canada and I just assumed the US was the same. I probably should've specified I was talking about the Canadian version.

2535Miles
05-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure about the US. It isn't used in drinks here in Canada and I just assumed the US was the same. I probably should've specified I was talking about the Canadian version.
"The FDA website[9] lists Irn-Bru and Diet Irn-Bru as containing the banned carcinogenic colouring Ponceau 4R, and Sunset Yellow FCF, which the FDA has to approve on a per-batch basis[10]. One importer, Irn-Bru usa.[11], modifies the drink to conform to FDA requirements."
Here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn_bru) to the original article from our good friend at Wikipedia

colchar
05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
"The FDA website[9] lists Irn-Bru and Diet Irn-Bru as containing the banned carcinogenic colouring Ponceau 4R, and Sunset Yellow FCF, which the FDA has to approve on a per-batch basis[10]. One importer, Irn-Bru usa.[11], modifies the drink to conform to FDA requirements."
Here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn_bru) to the original article from our good friend at Wikipedia

I knew that certain colorants were banned but what I meant was that I didn't think they were responsible for it being a hangover cure. Does Irn Bru in the US contain quinine? If it does but doesn't contain the colorants then they might be responsible for the hangover cure.

Strangely enough, I was discussing this with my doctor yesterday (he's from Scotland, about 20 miles from where my parents are from) and he agreed about its restorative properties - he's no doubt used it more than a few times himself.

Shammrog
05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I knew that certain colorants were banned but what I meant was that I didn't think they were responsible for it being a hangover cure. Does Irn Bru in the US contain quinine? If it does but doesn't contain the colorants then they might be responsible for the hangover cure.

Strangely enough, I was discussing this with my doctor yesterday (he's from Scotland, about 20 miles from where my parents are from) and he agreed about its restorative properties - he's no doubt used it more than a few times himself.

Ah! From wikipedia, the Canadian version also doesn't have caffeine... that is probably much of why it doesn't work on hangovers.

The U.S. version does have caffeine, and (implicitly) also has quinine - the U.S. website says the only difference between the U.S. and the U.K. is the coloring, which is reformulated to meet FDA requirements.