PDA

View Full Version : Won't it be annoying

geraldsneighbor
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
next year watching every game have 2 3-pt lines a foot apart?

bdh21
05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
What about an arena that has 3 lines at 19'9", 20'9", and 23'9"?

beltwayBD
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM

I was looking forward to seeing Taylor King launch from behind the new line. I mean, he already took most of his shots from behind where the new line would be. If only he had hit more of them in the 2nd half of the season...

Oriole Way
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Um, unless I am mistaken, won't every college court just remove the old 3-point line and replace it with the new one?

Not sure I follow you here.

-jk
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Um, unless I am mistaken, won't every college court just remove the old 3-point line and replace it with the new one?

Not sure I follow you here.

Nope. Women's line remains.

-jk

Oriole Way
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Nope. Women's line remains.

-jk

Ah, yes in that case that will suck.

LetItBD08
05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Duke's practice courts in the new Coach K Center already have the new three point lines added. They are blue as opposed to the traditional white that the women will still have. This will probably be the case in Cameron as well. Doesn't look that annoying. We'll get used to it.

Newton_14
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Is the new line a permanent change by the NCAA or a temporary trial? I know a change in the line has been discussed for some time, but I am not clear if this is the official distance from now on...:confused:

geraldsneighbor
05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
current line is 19-9 the new one is permanent at 20-9. I forget they do have a blue line in the practice gym. I wonder if the Verizon Center or places like that will just get rid of the current line. Wow I have no life.

gep
05-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I forget they do have a blue line in the practice gym.

Interesting... I just assumed the multiple 3-point lines would be white... like it used to be. But, a different color would be interesting, and maybe even "nice". I don't suppose each school could pick their own color :) And, what about a 1-foot thick line... women up to the edge of the line on the inside, men up to the edge of the line on the outside... yeah, probably very ugly:cool:

SilkyJ
05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
And, what about a 1-foot thick line... women up to the edge of the line on the inside, men up to the edge of the line on the outside... yeah, probably very ugly:cool:

why don't you think about that for a minute and then get back to us.

Ignatius07
05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Interesting... I just assumed the multiple 3-point lines would be white... like it used to be. But, a different color would be interesting, and maybe even "nice". I don't suppose each school could pick their own color :)

Don't schools pick their own colors now for the 3-point line? Most go with white, but I am fairly certain there are college teams that do not (perhaps I'm thinking of college teams at certain NBA arenas)...

Here is one I found for Vanderbilt (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/commodores/menhoop/Players/action01-02/020126Memorial.jpg).

EarlJam
05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
They should use laser light technology to create the three point line. Beam it down to the floor from the ceiling. Seriously. That way, you could adjust/change the distance day-to-day and only have one line on the court.

Another bonus is that it would make close calls easier. Since the light is coming from above, if the line is "on" the shoe of the shooter, then you'd know it was not a three pointer. Instead of his foot on the line, it would be the line on his foot (seems an easier call).

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

P.S. And I'm not talking about those laser lights where you'd see the beam from source to target. No. I'm talking about the ones where the only place you see the laser light is against the object it is projected - like a laser pointer.

I really think this could work.

CameronCrazy'11
05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
They should use laser light technology to create the three point line. Beam it down to the floor from the ceiling. Seriously. That way, you could adjust/change the distance day-to-day and only have one line on the court.

Another bonus is that it would make close calls easier. Since the light is coming from above, if the line is "on" the shoe of the shooter, then you'd know it was not a three pointer. Instead of his foot on the line, it would be the line on his foot (seems an easier call).

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

P.S. And I'm not talking about those laser lights where you'd see the beam from source to target. No. I'm talking about the ones where the only place you see the laser light is against the object it is projected - like a laser pointer.

except that you wouldn't be able to see the line if a bunch of people standing over it. and you have to worry about eye damage if you look up

El_Diablo
05-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

...but instead of a laser pointer projecting a single point of light, it would be the equivalent of thousands of laser pointers (to generate an entire unbroken line over sixty feet long and 1.5 inches thick). On each side of the court.

Other than the aforementioned health risks to the athletes' eyes, and the problems associated with breaking the line of the laser with the body, what about the logistical problems with this?

What kind of monstrous apparatus would be required to pull this off? We already complained about luxury boxes in Cameron...what kind of reaction would we get from these massive laser generators? And how much power would this draw? Would the TV audience actually be able to see the glowing line over the glare of the overhead lights? Moreover, would the refs?

Is Cameron equipped to support the new electrical load? What about the rest of the ACC...are they going to be able install the laser-line technology to ensure uniformity? What about the rest of Division I?

How much would this alien technology cost? Who's going to pay for these machines? The individual schools? The NCAA? Nan?

And what happens when one breaks? Will we have to have a backup machine in place on each side of the court? What about having a team of electricians on call? How much will that cost?

Indoor66
05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
...but instead of a laser pointer projecting a single point of light, it would be the equivalent of thousands of laser pointers (to generate an entire unbroken line over sixty feet long and 1.5 inches thick). On each side of the court.

Other than the aforementioned health risks to the athletes' eyes, and the problems associated with breaking the line of the laser with the body, what about the logistical problems with this?

What kind of monstrous apparatus would be required to pull this off? We already complained about luxury boxes in Cameron...what kind of reaction would we get from these massive laser generators? And how much power would this draw? Would the TV audience actually be able to see the glowing line over the glare of the overhead lights? Moreover, would the refs?

Is Cameron equipped to support the new electrical load? What about the rest of the ACC...are they going to be able install the laser-line technology to ensure uniformity? What about the rest of Division I?

How much would this alien technology cost? Who's going to pay for these machines? The individual schools? The NCAA? Nan?

And what happens when one breaks? Will we have to have a backup machine in place on each side of the court? What about having a team of electricians on call? How much will that cost?

And just think, they might not count every vote! :mad:

El_Diablo
05-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry, Earljam...I just wanted to help kill the idea before the Duke administration (which decided to give an iPod to every member of the class of 2008) got any bright ideas...

LetItBD08
05-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry, Earljam...I just wanted to help kill the idea before the Duke administration (which decided to give an iPod to every member of the class of 2008) got any bright ideas...

Hey! Those iPods were vital to our intellectual experience and technological development!

EarlJam
05-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Totally understand. Totally understand. Just brainstorming new, innovative and creative ideas (I don't use the word "solutions" anymore - was in PR too long).

I DO wonder if something like this will come to pass in the next 3.3 - 7.2 years.

-EJ

xenic
05-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Don't schools pick their own colors now for the 3-point line? Most go with white, but I am fairly certain there are college teams that do not (perhaps I'm thinking of college teams at certain NBA arenas)...

Here is one I found for Vanderbilt (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/commodores/menhoop/Players/action01-02/020126Memorial.jpg).

UNC's is blue (at least it has been some seasons) I'm pretty sure.

Edouble
05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
UNC's is blue (at least it has been some seasons) I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, it is.

To address the original comment, UNC, among other schools, will only have one line, as the women play their games in a different arena.

Jarhead
05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
That's the old line in that Vandy jpg.

mullslaw6383
05-25-2008, 11:21 PM
According to the new NCAA rule, all Division I, II, and III schools will have both lines, with the new men's 3 point line a contrasting color from the women's line.

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/mbasketball/MEMO-RulesChanges.doc

Here is a link to a diagram with the new men's 3 point line:

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/mbasketball/Basketball_Court_New.8.07.pdf?ObjectID=51962&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0

EarlJam
05-26-2008, 12:26 AM
What if, just like baseball and football, they laid down chalk pre-game to mark the three-point line?

That would be another way to eliminate having to have two line. Seems like the perfect solution.

-EarlJam

CameronCrazy'11
05-26-2008, 05:17 AM
What if, just like baseball and football, they laid down chalk pre-game to mark the three-point line?

That would be another way to eliminate having to have two line. Seems like the perfect solution.

-EarlJam

you can't really chalk a basketball court. the chalk sticks to the grass or dirt on a football or baseball field. But I can't really imagine chalk working on a hardwood basketball court.

mgtr
05-26-2008, 08:34 AM
you can't really chalk a basketball court. the chalk sticks to the grass or dirt on a football or baseball field. But I can't really imagine chalk working on a hardwood basketball court.

Maybe only in Kansas.

CameronCrazy'11
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe only in Kansas.

Maybe I'm just uninformed, but does anyone know what "rock chalk jawhawk" actually means?

EarlJam
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

I was kidding.

-EJ

EarlJam
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe I'm just uninformed, but does anyone know what "rock chalk jawhawk" actually means?

Yes. Honestly on this one. This winter, I dated a girl that went to Kansas. Even went out to Lawrence (sp) with her and stood on the Jayhawk with my Duke jacket on.

Anyway, she told me that years ago (can't remember the year), a group was on a train headed to Kansas. Kansas is known for its limestone and I believe the capitol building in Kansas is even made of it. They used to call it, for obvious reasons, "rock chalk." Anyway, on the train ride to Kansas, some guy just started chanting "Rock Chalk Jayhawk!" Soon, everyone was doing it and it stuck for all these years.

That's the story she told me.

-EarlJam

geraldsneighbor
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Interesting... I just assumed the multiple 3-point lines would be white... like it used to be. But, a different color would be interesting, and maybe even "nice". I don't suppose each school could pick their own color :) And, what about a 1-foot thick line... women up to the edge of the line on the inside, men up to the edge of the line on the outside... yeah, probably very ugly:cool:

Maybe we could put ads in the lane too.

barjwr
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM

http://www.rockchalk.com/john/john/rock.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_chalk_jayhawk

EarlJam
05-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Pretty much mirrors what my ex-girlfriend told me back in March. I guess she wasn't a lying fronk-conker afterall. Kind of feel bad about punching her in the kidneys now.

-EJ

Edouble
05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Interesting. I always thought the "rock" was in reference to the basketball, as in, "pass me the rock", albeit the cheer has been around much longer than people have been using this type of vernacular.