PDA

View Full Version : Parrish on Coach K Taking Plumlee From Stanford

BlueintheFace
05-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Check out page 2 of the article. Parrish says that it looks like K stole Plumlee from Dawkins, but implies that the deal was in the works for a long time. Of course there is no substantiation, relevant quotes, or elaboration... generally good reporting.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10826137

roywhite
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Seems to me that a coaching change (particularly, an unexpected one) is a big deal to existing players, and especially to incoming recruits. We hear the platitudes that the player should choose the school instead of choosing the coach, and there is something to do that, but it seems reasonable that an incoming recruit would want to re-evaluate.

If we're looking for good sportsmanship here, I'd say that a school like Stanford or LSU granting the release to a recruit following a coaching change, is a positive thing. And if there is some kind of predatory practice going on from new "suitors", well, let's hear the specifics.

Scoring Point
05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Check out page 2 of the article. Parrish says that it looks like K stole Plumlee from Dawkins, but implies that the deal was in the works for a long time. Of course there is no substantiation, relevant quotes, or elaboration... generally good reporting.

I thought I recalled reading in one of the earlier stories on Miles that he had accompanied Mason on his official visit to Duke, had a great time and came away far more impressed (and comfortable) than he expected. As a result, he had some real second thoughts about Stanford. If true, Johnson leaving for LSU simply gave him an opening that he may already have been hoping for.

Newton_14
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Jay Bilas was on 850 The Buzz with Adam Gold recently and discussed the Plumlee move. During the Q&A Jay said outright that in his recruitment, the deciding factor for him was Coach K. He even said that had Coach K been the coach of another school, he would have chosen that school and not Duke. I would assume it's like that for a lot of kids, not all certainly, but it should not come as a surprise to any school if a kid asks out of the LOI if a coaching change occurs.

As for the article, Parrish implies that Duke was recruiting Plumlee during the coaching search but most likely it was the Plumlee's wanting their sons on the same team and they were most likely "recruiting Duke". Especially given that nobody from Stanford thought it important to communicate with the Plumlee's during the coaching search.

If Mason was not already committed to Duke, I doubt it ever happens. Or if Taylor doesn't transfer it may be that Duke does not take Miles... at any rate just another media guy taking a stab at Duke with no facts to back up his theory..

duketaylor
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
The Miles to Duke thing has been misrepresented in some circles and I won't say much more because I got in trouble in trying to post what I have heard previously. The timeline is important and I'll stop with that.

weezie
05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
In any case, if a sports "writer" is stumped for an article or point of reference, it's always a good call to take a shot at Duke, no matter what the context. :(

Inonehand
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
read an article and come away unfazed but a large percentage of Duke fans get defensive over the same wording. It was not a "cheap shot". It also wasn't totally explained either, I will give you all that. But, honestly, was it that big of a deal? No.

ArnieMc
05-15-2008, 09:00 AM

I thought Parrish was actually defending Coach K - saying that the transfer was a done deal before JD was named head coach at Stanford. Therefore, Coach K didn't know that he was "stealing" one of JD's recruits.

Inonehand
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
I thought Parrish was actually defending Coach K - saying that the transfer was a done deal before JD was named head coach at Stanford. Therefore, Coach K didn't know that he was "stealing" one of JD's recruits.

That's what I thought too.

uncwdevil
05-15-2008, 09:35 AM
That's what I thought too.

Same here. I was surprised to see the article on the front page complaining about it.

Edouble
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I read it as Coach K wasn't trying to undermine Dawkins, and that it's fairly common for coaches to keep an eye out for possible upcoming tranfer players (as explained in the paragraph following the part that DBR quoted on the front page).

MChambers
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Same here. I was surprised to see the article on the front page complaining about it.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

BD80
05-15-2008, 10:29 AM

The essence of the article is that schools are improperly recruiting high school kids who have signed LOIs with other schools. Parrish lumps Duke in that group.

The article notes that schools get around the "recruitment" issue by communicating with the recruit's high school or AAU coach, thus not rising to the level of impermissible recruiting contact. Parrish suggests that this conduct is still predatory and not "proper form." He then states that "Duke was working the Plumlee deal long before" Miles was granted his release.

The timing alone supports the allegation: it was rumored Miles was coming to Duke before it was announced that Miles was released from his LOI, so it is clear that there was SOME communication between Duke and Miles while he was not recruitable. However, Parrish does not mention that such contact may have been initiated by Miles, or may have been otherwise "proper" - i.e. part of the recruitment of Mason.

This is what is unfair about Parrish's article, it fails to note the highly unique circumstances of Miles' situation, yet implies that Duke "recruited" a player who had signed a LOI with another school prior to the release.

Olympic Fan
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Without getting into (or really knowing) the details of the Plumlee transfer, I think it's important to understand one thing.

Schools that believe another school has tampered with one of their players (either a signed recruit or an active player) will usually refuse to release their player to the tampering school ... or will offer only a conditional release that precludes the player from leaving to a school that tampered.

Dean Smith did that in the case of Clifford Rozier, who played for the Heels in 1991, and wanted to transfer back closer to home and play for Florida State. Smith, knowing FSU was joining the league, was also upset because he believed that the FSU staff tampered with Rozier before he announced his desire to transfer. Rozier ended up at Louisville.

About the same time, Bobby Knight had a problem with Lawrence Funderburke. I don't remember all the details, but I do know that Knight did refuse to release him to a school that he thought was tampering.

There is an accepted timeline -- any contact before a player publicly announces his desire to transfer is usually considered tampering. Between the announcement and the actual release, the protocal is that the kid must initiate contact. After the release, all bets are off.

The fact that Stanford released Plumlee to Duke is not proof of anything, but it is a good sign that they didn't think Duke tampered with the kid.

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Seems to me that a coaching change (particularly, an unexpected one) is a big deal to existing players, and especially to incoming recruits. We hear the platitudes that the player should choose the school instead of choosing the coach, and there is something to do that, but it seems reasonable that an incoming recruit would want to re-evaluate.

That is true, however, I think choosing a coach is equally important especially if you are looking for one that will enable you to move to the next level. You want a coach and a program that is proven to be able to do that.

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
As for the article, Parrish implies that Duke was recruiting Plumlee during the coaching search but most likely it was the Plumlee's wanting their sons on the same team and they were most likely "recruiting Duke". Especially given that nobody from Stanford thought it important to communicate with the Plumlee's during the coaching search.

This is key. I am convinced that what kept our women recruits during that coaching search is Abby et.al. staying in touch, talking with them on a regular basis and letting them know that they are wanted here.

Bluedawg
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM

During JD presser didn't he say that he expected Plumlee to come to duke indicating that it was already in the works.

wumhenry
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
There is an accepted timeline -- any contact before a player publicly announces his desire to transfer is usually considered tampering. Between the announcement and the actual release, the protocal is that the kid must initiate contact. After the release, all bets are off.
So, when did Miles P. announce his desire to transfer, when was the release announced, and when was the transfer announced: does anyone here remember?

I don't think that the Gary Parrish article is good reporting. He clearly implies that K recruited MP before Stanford released him without saying what factual basis there is for that inference.

devildeac
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
The Miles to Duke thing has been misrepresented in some circles and I won't say much more because I got in trouble in trying to post what I have heard previously. The timeline is important and I'll stop with that.

I had heard a "time line" also and refrained from posting at the request of the friend who relayed that info to me as private. So, therefore, no info on the board AND I stay out of trouble:D. BTW, be sure to check your PM for some very private bar-b-cue info;).

dukeimac
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Well, I think on the surface this might look a little suspicious.

Miles commits to Stanford early and was never on Dukes radar. So for him to change his mind AFTER his brother commits to Duke looks suspicious.

But once you look closer I don't think it looks suspicious at all.

Duke has Zo, Thomas, McClure and Czar (signed early). With Singler and King who can spot a little at the 4 (on paper). That is a lot of guys and Standard is looking in need since at least one Twin was considering leaving for the pros after last season. There appears to be a better chance to get playing time there.

Mason is a tar heel fan but they fill up and he is on the outside looking in. He takes a trip or two to Duke and Miles tags along.

The season plays out and one takes note. Zo is plagued with another injury and looks like he might not be adjusting to his body real good (I would look to redshirt the guy next year myself), Thomas hasn't really materialized yet (after 2 years) and McClure has injury issues too. Now it looks like Duke has an immediate need for another tall guy next year.

Things are looking like they are falling apart at Stanford, the guy that recruited you is gone. Duke has a transfer and that opens a scully. Miles has been impressed with Duke and sees an opportunity to get out of his LOI and into some playing time at Duke.

This is just one of those opportunities for Duke and Coach K haters to bash them.

I think to punish them all, Duke should cut the nets down next year.