PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it..

moonpie23
05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
the magic is down...time running out....they are in dire need of 3's and the starters are shooting 3's terribly.....what could it possibly hurt to have jj in there?

i know i'm not a coach, but whatEVER defensive liability he might be, it may have been at least a TRY to see if he could kick-start some points.

i am not delusional, i know jj is struggling with the physical play of the nba, but geez.....steve kerr wasn't a great defender ( at first) ..

i just wanna see jj get on a team where he fits into the scheme....

rtnorthrup
05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I too want to see him get to a team that would give him a chance, but you arent going to put in a guy who hasnt played much all season in the 4th quarter of a deciding playoff game. . . unless you are Doc Rivers.

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Hopefully today is the beginning of a beneficial offseason for him.

SilkyJ
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
playing a guy who played in a grand total of 10 minutes in 2 post season games, both at the end of losing-effort blowouts doesn't make much sense.

that said. JJ can f-ing play and he will get time eventually. he's not struggling with anything, they just won't play him.

Buckeye Devil
05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Doc might have a question or two to answer if the Celtics lose to the Cavs series after being up 2-0. Pierce and Allen have been no-shows lately. I don't think Danny Ainge had losing to the 4th seed that really wasn't playing too well as a team in mind when he acquired Garnett and Allen.

I too want to see him get to a team that would give him a chance, but you arent going to put in a guy who hasnt played much all season in the 4th quarter of a deciding playoff game. . . unless you are Doc Rivers.

Inonehand
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Unless he's traded. JJ was in the best shape of his life this summer and went straight to Orlando and got screwed from the get go. Defensive liability defines 75% of the NBA players. I just don't get it.

Newton_14
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
The entire thing is an absolute joke. They refuse to play him, but they also refuse to trade him, stating "You are in our future plans".

Bottom Line is: JJ can play at that level. He is far more than a shooter and his defense abilities are far better than he gets credit for. In my humble opinion his overall skill set is superior to Steve Kerr and it irritates me to end to hear that comparison. When people state that he can't play defense they only point to "on the ball defense". 1. He's much better at that aspect than he gets credit for and 2. There is far more to defense than on the ball defense.

I hope he can hook up with another team with a smarter coach, but it is a shame he will not be used where he is. He would be a great compliment to Howard.

As far as shooting goes, I have never in my lifetime seen a better shooter than him. My first time seeing him was in the McDonalds AllStar game and I was literally blown away.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now, but here's hoping he gets a chance someday to prove what most of us believe....

JBDuke
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Unless he's traded. JJ was in the best shape of his life this summer and went straight to Orlando and got screwed from the get go. Defensive liability defines 75% of the NBA players. I just don't get it.

The entire thing is an absolute joke. They refuse to play him, but they also refuse to trade him, stating "You are in our future plans".

Bottom Line is: JJ can play at that level. He is far more than a shooter and his defense abilities are far better than he gets credit for. In my humble opinion his overall skill set is superior to Steve Kerr and it irritates me to end to hear that comparison. When people state that he can't play defense they only point to "on the ball defense". 1. He's much better at that aspect than he gets credit for and 2. There is far more to defense than on the ball defense.

I hope he can hook up with another team with a smarter coach, but it is a shame he will not be used where he is. He would be a great compliment to Howard.

As far as shooting goes, I have never in my lifetime seen a better shooter than him. My first time seeing him was in the McDonalds AllStar game and I was literally blown away.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now, but here's hoping he gets a chance someday to prove what most of us believe....

There are several JJ threads on this board. I suggest you guys go back and read them.

Magic GM Otis Thorpe has stated that he doesn't want to trade JJ, as his guard situation is very much up in the air this summer due to free agency. I believe that they could lose Evans, Arroyo, and Bogans. If that happens, they may be desperately looking for guards, and JJ should get a good chance. If they manage to keep most of those guys, I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ traded.

And the real reason he's been on the bench all season is that, with Turkoglu and Lewis in the starting lineup and both shooting 3's at a 40% clip, they didn't need perimeter scoring, especially if it came with only average defensive ability. Instead, SVG played Evans and Bogans at the 2 guard, both of whom shot the ball well, and both of whom can attack the basket with authority, bringing offensive versatility to the floor, and both of whom can defend most any wing player, as they are big, strong, and quick guards. There is little room for a player with JJ's skills given that mix of talent.

If they manage to hold the roster together through the summer, JJ is trade bait. Lots of teams will want him, and he'll be in the 3rd year of his rookie contract.

dyedwab
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM

This is what drives me crazy...they won't play him and they won't trade him...that, to me, smacks of poor management. You have a guy on your roster who you will not consider trading - but he never sees the court. So the question is, what does Orlando want to build? Because either JJ could be a part of it, or he is taking up the spot of someone who could be a part of it.

Very strange

JBDuke
05-15-2008, 01:59 AM
This is what drives me crazy...they won't play him and they won't trade him...that, to me, smacks of poor management. You have a guy on your roster who you will not consider trading - but he never sees the court. So the question is, what does Orlando want to build? Because either JJ could be a part of it, or he is taking up the spot of someone who could be a part of it.

Very strange

Why do I even bother posting?

Edouble
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Why do I even bother posting?

For people like me who read the response that you wrote and agreed with it. I've thought for a while that Turk and Lewis shooting 40% from 3 keeps JJ out of the game. Even if JJ can shoot 45% from 3, he'll still find it difficult to get PT in that situation. Glad to hear that after this season, JJ will probably either be traded or be in a scenario with less guards around him to eat up his game minutes.

SupaDave
05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
For people like me who read the response that you wrote and agreed with it. I've thought for a while that Turk and Lewis shooting 40% from 3 keeps JJ out of the game. Even if JJ can shoot 45% from 3, he'll still find it difficult to get PT in that situation. Glad to hear that after this season, JJ will probably either be traded or be in a scenario with less guards around him to eat up his game minutes.

Not to mention that both are bigger and stronger than JJ. I think we should take the speculation a little further actually b/c me and boys argue this every few months.

What teams do you think JJ would be GOOD for?

The Cavs have a guard that can only go to the left and Gibson is iffy at best.

The Sonics, they are young and with Durant all over the place they could use a spot up shooter.

The Knicks, well what DONT they need?

I'm sure the Heat need a shooter as well.

That's just off the top of my head.

godukecom
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
As long as JJ doesnt go to Brown and the Bobcats/Tarheels, I would love to see him on any team getting PT.

Next season should be interesting for JJ to say the least...

SupaDave
05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
As long as JJ doesnt go to Brown and the Bobcats/Tarheels, I would love to see him on any team getting PT.

Next season should be interesting for JJ to say the least...

Please start a thread on this. Is there one on this already? Geez, the Bobcats are beginning to make me sick. The funny part is that with all those Tarheels they still suck. They might as well find Joe Forte so they can really stick it to the league...

lmb
05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I saw a rumor that Stefanski wants a power forward and Brand is a possibility. They've got a lot of cash around that they could use for him - thank you Billy King. And I think they could really use JJ too. That would be a cool combo.

Hot Route
05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
the magic is down...time running out....they are in dire need of 3's and the starters are shooting 3's terribly.....what could it possibly hurt to have jj in there?

i know i'm not a coach, but whatEVER defensive liability he might be, it may have been at least a TRY to see if he could kick-start some points.

i am not delusional, i know jj is struggling with the physical play of the nba, but geez.....steve kerr wasn't a great defender ( at first) ..

i just wanna see jj get on a team where he fits into the scheme....

The problem is his defensive liability. He would have to guard either Hamilton, Prince, or the PG! Let's get our heads out of the sand....JJ will never be a good NBA player. Steve Kerr's don't exist anymore....the game is evolving.

Hot Route
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Not to mention that both are bigger and stronger than JJ. I think we should take the speculation a little further actually b/c me and boys argue this every few months.

What teams do you think JJ would be GOOD for?

The Cavs have a guard that can only go to the left and Gibson is iffy at best.

The Sonics, they are young and with Durant all over the place they could use a spot up shooter.

The Knicks, well what DONT they need?

I'm sure the Heat need a shooter as well.

That's just off the top of my head.

Wow. I don't think Gibson is just "iffy."

SilkyJ
05-16-2008, 02:35 PM

That's really irrlevant. It would matter if they played the same position. The point is that they provide perimeter shooting at their own positions. The fact that keith bogans is bigger and stronger is relevant b/c he and JJ compete for minutes at the same position.